[STOCK] Klermont - Stock Paddleboat

Bubbadevlin Presents

The Klermont

uB6Pcgr.jpg

DOWNLOAD

The Klermont is a stock paddle boat, which is as far as I am aware, the first stock paddle boat in KSP. It is powered by the same DNBSD (scanner drive) which I used on my walker. This boat is mainly for looks, and not practicality. It is designed off 1800s-era Mississippi river boats, and has about 500 parts (yes i know, alot) There are two decks, the main cabin deck (lower one), and then the upper deck. Sadly Kerbals cannot walk around the boat while it is moving

The forward propulsion is being done by the paddle wheels (not hidden engines) and they are powered by a scanner drive. Because of this, it is slow. The top speed is ~3.4 m/s, however it can go on infinitely. The only fuel drain is by a Juno, which provides the completely aesthetic smoke. The paddle wheels work just like in real life, with much greater drag in the water, than out. Being powered by a scanner drive should mean that this boat even works on Eve, however I have not tested it.

The setup of the boat is quite simple. First get it into the water (I used vessel mover, but hyper edit or even building an under carriage works too) then hit space twice. After the paddle wheel is decoupled, the engine is toggled on and off with the 1 action group. The smoke is just the throttle, and the lights are the lights button. There are hidden reaction wheels inside the craft, so it is able to turn using those. 

The boat is a medium size, being 34m long and 7.5m  wide, however the part count is very high due to it's mechanical aspects as well as many aesthetic parts. I hope you all enjoy it, as it was one of the funnest things I have built in a while. 

Special thanks to Tfin, who came up with the name

Edited by Bubbadevlin

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Looks fun! How reliable is the Scanner drive?

Wow, lol, The scanner drive is actually VERY reliable. This is because A) I had it very reliable in my walker, and this mechanism is just about a copy and paste. B) The ocean is flat, there are no hills or changes in the torque requited

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

Wow, lol, The scanner drive is actually VERY reliable. This is because A) I had it very reliable in my walker, and this mechanism is just about a copy and paste. B) The ocean is flat, there are no hills or changes in the torque requited

Yeah I could see it working better in the water. I did see your walker drive fail a few times though. It's just the nature of the beast..

Edited by Majorjim

15 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I just had nothing to say, it was great I liked it, would not change it

Thanks!

I did not mean to seem like I was whining for comments, it was actually unusual for how few people did comment, compared to how many liked it.

Edited by Bubbadevlin

1 hour ago, Bubbadevlin said:

Thanks!

I did not mean to seem like I was whining for comments, it was actually unusual for how few people did comment, compared to how many liked it.

Just need some old timer gambling suits and walk some kerbals around the deck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.