Texture disappears with distance

Hi, i'm tinkering with texture replacement on Procedural Parts and there's an issue I can't figure out:

those are PP tanks retextured with mk1 textures.

6NZqrnR.jpg

If I zoom out, this happens:

ZO0SNMT.jpg

Max zoom out:

g4s2ECc.jpg

Hope doing right this Imgur thing, never used before.

Any help appreciated...

[MOD - Fixed images. Remember that when embedding pictures from Imgur, you need to use the absolute URL of the image file themselves (e.g. http://i.imgur.com/6NZqrnR.jpg) rather than just the Imgur page the image is on. - sumghai]

Edited by sumghai
Fixed image

35 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

For imgur images, you just need to hit the little "i" icon on the right side of the text editor buttons, and then paste the image link in there.

No, a gallery of lazy cartoon animals appear saying various nonsense. Anyway, until I learn, my screenshots can be seen right-clicking on the links.

4 minutes ago, kino said:

No, a gallery of lazy cartoon animals appear saying various nonsense. Anyway, until I learn, my screenshots can be seen right-clicking on the links.

Oh sorry, my bad. You do that with the album ID when posting the entire album. For the individual image, instead you'll want to use the "Insert other media" button that's just above the "Submit", and select "insert image from URL" and paste it there.

11 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Oh sorry, my bad. You do that with the album ID when posting the entire album. For the individual image, instead you'll want to use the "Insert other media" button that's just above the "Submit", and select "insert image from URL" and paste it there.

...that is what I did first, with the result you can see.

I've fixed the images in the OP, please see the corresponding note for details.

Getting back to the original question, what are the characteristics of the texture(s)?

- Is it a plain diffuse one, or did it come with normal maps?

- Is it DDS, PNG, TGA or MBM?

- Do you know if it has mipmaps or not?

Edited by sumghai

8 hours ago, sumghai said:

I've fixed the images in the OP, please see the corresponding note for details.

Getting back to the original question, what are the characteristics of the texture(s)?

- Is it a plain diffuse one, or did it come with normal maps?

- Is it DDS, PNG, TGA or MBM?

- Do you know if it has mipmaps or not?

Great, thank you.

It's a .dds stock texture, mk1 fuselage, under Structural/Mk1 parts.

Imported in Photoshop by .dds plugin, cropped to use a square portion of the original.

It was mipmapped, and probably there lies the problem- I thought Photoshop would build all the scaling for me, but it seems not.

At this point I'd ask if is it possible to mipmap the texture in Photoshop only, or if Unity is needed to do the job ( I'd prefer not...)

What exactly is the problem? I can't quite tell from those pictures.
I just see that it get's lower resolution as you zoom out, which is what you want, that's what mipmaps are there for, looks nominal as far as I can tell.

For mipmaps just enable the "Generate Mipmaps" checkbox in the export dialog, that's it, dont need to mess around manually with anything.

On 1/31/2016 at 9:35 PM, landeTLS said:

Iwe also tried looking several times and cant see the issue. As portjet said i can only see mipmaps in action.

IMO, I think it's these lines that are causing grief.  

VVncHuv.gif

If they're applied to the model via a normal or bump map, you might not have generated mipmaps for them to express detail at a zoomed out level, if they are disappearing. Though it is a bit hard to see any detail anyway with the compression in those jpegs, so i might be wrong. Open them up in Photoshop with its DDS plugin and have a look.

If you don't know how to check, PM me (or hotlink) a copy of your textures and i'll have a look for you :)

On 1/22/2016 at 8:58 PM, kino said:

Great, thank you.

It's a .dds stock texture, mk1 fuselage, under Structural/Mk1 parts.

Imported in Photoshop by .dds plugin, cropped to use a square portion of the original.

It was mipmapped, and probably there lies the problem- I thought Photoshop would build all the scaling for me, but it seems not.

At this point I'd ask if is it possible to mipmap the texture in Photoshop only, or if Unity is needed to do the job ( I'd prefer not...)

Sorry, missed this post. If you have the Photoshop .dds plugin, you can check and tweak your mipmaps pretty easily from the "2D Preview" options. All sorts of tweaks there for sharpness, filtering, and normal map output. 

WZDnouc.png

Thank you guys, I solved this by myself some time ago just googling some more- by the way I thought the forum would notify me of replies, it used to, but not anymore, (why?), and I missed yours. Thank you anyway...

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.