Sanic

Basic KSP Mods for PS4

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

An open source PS4 SDK tells us how the actual PSN addon service is going to work how?

A mod isn't going to have game level certification requirements and approval associated costs, that's unrealistic.

That's not unrealistic, especially for a game as unstable and prone to breaking as KSP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BloodDusk said:

That's not unrealistic

It is entirely unrealistic, it's like saying a tire will have the same approval costs as a whole car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

It is entirely unrealistic, it's like saying a tire will have the same approval costs as a whole car

If I ship this tire with a car and someone dies as a result of this tire failing, who is responsible? The company that made the tire, or the company that didn't test said tire in their car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BloodDusk said:

If I ship this tire with a car and someone dies as a result of this tire failing, who is responsible? The company that made the tire, or the company that didn't test said tire in their car?

Do you need to check the windscreen of the tire, how the tire performs in a side impact test, how its passenger cocoon handles a head on impact, the tires airbag system? No.

The number of tests and conditions required for that one part, are significantly fewer than the tests and conditions required for the whole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Do you need to check the windscreen of the tire, how the tire performs in a side impact test, how its passenger cocoon handles a head on impact, the tires airbag system? No.

The number of tests and conditions required for that one part, are significantly fewer than the tests and conditions required for the whole

I wouldn't subestimate the hurdles a company can go to not have mods in. So, far, it's safe to assume that no mods will exist for PS4. And I'm surprised that a game as unstable at times like KSP is even considered for console porting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BloodDusk said:

I wouldn't subestimate the hurdles a company can go to not have mods in. So, far, it's safe to assume that no mods will exist for PS4. And I'm surprised that a game as unstable at times like KSP is even considered for console porting.

And yet Sony and Microsoft have promised a mod platform for PSN and XBLM respectively, and Squad is having KSP ported to consoles

Microsofts mod platform for XBLM is expected first, shortly after Bethesda releases their GECK/SDK for FO4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they do this coz then they will have to susport that mods. Or pay they orginal autors to provide active susport:D Grab the paper and go to wiki, learn the delta v formula. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

And yet Sony and Microsoft have promised a mod platform for PSN and XBLM respectively, and Squad is having KSP ported to consoles

Microsofts mod platform for XBLM is expected first, shortly after Bethesda releases their GECK/SDK for FO4

SQUAD also said that there would be no multiplayer in KSP. Then Dark Multiplayer appeared and now, what you know? Now KSP will have multiplayer.

I wouldn't put a single cent on SQUAD putting mods support at all.  But let's say it does. It will be a thing for only a few select individuals, especially considering how "complete and extensive" the documentation for KSP pc modding is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BloodDusk said:

SQUAD also said that there would be no multiplayer in KSP. Then Dark Multiplayer appeared and now, what you know? Now KSP will have multiplayer.

I wouldn't put a single cent on SQUAD putting mods support at all.  But let's say it does. It will be a thing for only a few select individuals, especially considering how "complete and extensive" the documentation for KSP pc modding is.

Not quite, they did say "we're not working on it", "we have no plans for multiplayer" and "please stop suggesting it", which are all different from no multiplayer ever, because businesses have to talk like that or people have tantrums when they don't get what they believe they're entitled too.  Like with resources, the negative outpouring when the original vision was shelved was legendary and resulted in Squad playing future stuff much closer to their chest, which is a shame.

The modding scene seems pretty vibrant to me, RoverDude is doing a modding for KSP stream right now.  A nice amount of KSP appeal comes from being able to mod it to suit personal taste, refusing to extend that appeal to the console versions doesn't make sense (the Wii U might miss out as I haven't heard boo from Nintendo about how that could happen?). We're even expecting a new PartTools for 1.1 which supports asset bundles which will let modders add any standard Unity asset into the game, at which point I assume some authors will go "buck wild".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to all of those who say "I actually enjoy figuring out what works and what doesn't without the dV in the stock game." Gonna be reeeeeeeeaaaaaal fun, amiriteguys?

Can only hope that with KSP being released on PS4 we can finally see all the essential data making it's way into the stock. And I'm not talking about KER here. Have fun eyeballing all those ejection angles for other planets without KAC or the other planner mod thing iforgotthenameof installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

Not quite, they did say "we're not working on it", "we have no plans for multiplayer" and "please stop suggesting it", which are all different from no multiplayer ever, because businesses have to talk like that or people have tantrums when they don't get what they believe they're entitled too.  Like with resources, the negative outpouring when the original vision was shelved was legendary and resulted in Squad playing future stuff much closer to their chest, which is a shame.

The modding scene seems pretty vibrant to me, RoverDude is doing a modding for KSP stream right now.  A nice amount of KSP appeal comes from being able to mod it to suit personal taste, refusing to extend that appeal to the console versions doesn't make sense (the Wii U might miss out as I haven't heard boo from Nintendo about how that could happen?). We're even expecting a new PartTools for 1.1 which supports asset bundles which will let modders add any standard Unity asset into the game, at which point I assume some authors will go "buck wild".

If those three negatives aren't a firm statement that they didn't want multiplayer, then I don't know. Also, if I heard from someone else correctly, the whole flak when it comes to resources happened not because they pulled back on it, but because they kept promising it like it was the next big thing, hyping it, then pulling out of it. So, it's more of a failed PR stunt IMO. And, instead of admitting a mistake, they pulled back and became less vocal with the community. That was what I heard. People, by and large, don't like to be fooled or feel like they're being lied to. So, one could say that SQUAD, in that particular case, got what was coming to them.

I mean, I'm all up for modding on consoles, as one demographic shouldn't feel left out. However, I'm opting to be a bit realistic here. KSP, by and large, is a game that's prone to being unstable and displaying bugs. We're not even sure the game will pass it's own certification process to being with. Who knows, some legal kerfuffle may happen in between porting and the game may not even receive a console version at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BloodDusk said:

If those three negatives aren't a firm statement that they didn't want multiplayer, then I don't know. Also, if I heard from someone else correctly, the whole flak when it comes to resources happened not because they pulled back on it, but because they kept promising it like it was the next big thing, hyping it, then pulling out of it. So, it's more of a failed PR stunt IMO. And, instead of admitting a mistake, they pulled back and became less vocal with the community. That was what I heard. People, by and large, don't like to be fooled or feel like they're being lied to. So, one could say that SQUAD, in that particular case, got what was coming to them.

I mean, I'm all up for modding on consoles, as one demographic shouldn't feel left out. However, I'm opting to be a bit realistic here. KSP, by and large, is a game that's prone to being unstable and displaying bugs. We're not even sure the game will pass it's own certification process to being with. Who knows, some legal kerfuffle may happen in between porting and the game may not even receive a console version at all.

Necessary business language, you don't say outright no because that's permanent, so you have to say something no-ish because maybe it's not the current priority, or maybe you're not sure it's possible, but never final.  HarvesteR even posted about it, that resources as originally envisaged were in the game but ended up being a game hurdle (want to build a NERVA engine? well you better fly to Eve and mine some Blutonium then!) and not fun at all, so they canned it but didn't have any ideas at the time on how the system could be made fun.

The PS4 and XBOne versions of the game are in the midst of certification already, it's got a PEGI rating (was that something to do with the Wii U version?), there have been a few shots of Squad staff doing stuff like landing on the Mun on the PS4 version at least so Flying Tiger seems fairly far along if the port is already functional to that point. KSP benefits greatly from mods, and the console vendors have impending mod support through their platforms, it seems like it would work out to everyones advantage, enabling mods = more sales, hopefully it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will NEVER be able to mod this game on PS4 or XBone. Anyone thinking otherwise is absolutely fooling themselves (and maybe a few others who don't know any better). The only chance you have of getting any mod is from an update of the base game itself with the included mod, or a DLC of the specific mod or mods offered. Either way, you better believe it will go back through the lengthy, tedious certification process.

The Bethesda thing for FO4 is like comparing apples and oranges. You will not be modding FO4 on a console like you can on PC. You can bet that IF and when the app is released for that, it will basically be a cheat menu of optional "mods" to activate. Not to mention that there's been virtually nothing about any kind of progress on that front since the game was announced at E3.

Be realistic; If mods for this game are a big deal to you, you better plan on sticking with PC.

Edited by Elway358
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my point of view... I play ksp on a laptop that technically cant run ksp.  I have to have settings turned all the way down and rely heavily on altered part files because at 200 parts or so on screen the frame rate is all but crippled... On top of that, i am absolutely dependent on asteroid day, kis/kas, mechjeb, alarmclock, and have sacrificed to great disappointment - infernal robotics, tweakscale, kethane, TAC, colony mods, kw rocketry, interstellar, and a few others...  I will buy the PS4 version, just so i can play with a good frame rate but a stock game would be a heart breaker... Going to the mun for science is good early game grinding,  but quickly grows old... Stage building a self supporting mining colony on the mun is gratifying... Buildding a satellite network for transmission of control or power keeps your aspiration in  check...  Kerbal consruction time makes planning or sacrificing relevant problems... And while ive never tried it, being able with the right infrastructure to build launch and recover craft on other planets is appealing to me...  As must as i LOVE ksp, the vanilla game falls short... i hope it at least implements some of these things because nothing ruins the game faster than going to duna with no antenna or not having a way to refuel without a docking port (kis/kas).  or warping into the ground, or loosing a ship to deep space because you forgot about that 1 year till soi change (alarmclock) and why there are no dedicated outpost parts for permanent life supporting surface or orbit colonies is a... is not good... my points should go on but im typing this with a controller and am exhausted...    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after I erased all my mods trying to fix a ghost torque problem and KS went down in the same moment making my mod install not working anymore, I started a vanilla game just to check how the PS4 version will play. And I'm sober now. The vanilla game lacks certain functions that just make the game more fun. First and foremost: DeltaV and TWR. It might be fun for the ultra-hardcore faction to calculate every passage by hand but I'm liquided with a game that shows me the dV on maneuvers but wouldnt show it to me while I build the spacecraft. TWR is the same. Having a spreadsheet running simultaneously isnt fun at all. I have spreadsheets at work all day. A simple readout of those two numbers shouldnt be too hard. Without I'm honestly thinking again about buying the game on PS4 again to support Squad. The lack of it or the option to get a good mod for it is a game breaker!

Other mods like UKS, KIS oder KAS will be sorely missed too, but I'd say I could deal with it. DMagic and ScanSat are falling into the same niche. Missed but not necessary for a stock gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS4 does support mods for games. Take Minecraft for example. It supports many mods provided by Mojang. Texture Packs and Skin Packs. Not all of them are free but some are. My point is it does already happen and from what I've heard already (can't confirm where) Squad and FTE Games will be adding mods for console versions of KSP. I'm more of a vanilla player myself, but would be happy to try some mods and really hope they add them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, ForsakenVoyager said:

PS4 does support mods for games. Take Minecraft for example. It supports many mods provided by Mojang. Texture Packs and Skin Packs. Not all of them are free but some are. My point is it does already happen and from what I've heard already (can't confirm where) Squad and FTE Games will be adding mods for console versions of KSP. I'm more of a vanilla player myself, but would be happy to try some mods and really hope they add them. 

Actually its not a mod but mere download content. A mod accesses / adds to / alters existing program structures to modify it. Hence it is called MOD. Certain DLCs like Hearthfire for Skyrim could actually be called mods. Yet I dont know of any third party PS4 or PS3 mods which would almost all KSP Mods for PC be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QPDO said:

 

Actually its not a mod but mere download content. A mod accesses / adds to / alters existing program structures to modify it. Hence it is called MOD. Certain DLCs like Hearthfire for Skyrim could actually be called mods. Yet I dont know of any third party PS4 or PS3 mods which would almost all KSP Mods for PC be.

To be fair they do modify the game so they kinda are mods. PC mods have to be downloaded as well so technically they are kinda like DLC too. The mods for KSP PS4 will be developed by Squad and FTE Games so they won't be third party mods but DLC provided by the developers that modify the original game. So DLC that mods the game. :)

But seriously I do get what you're saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.