[Stock] Double MiniMunshot

Jeb, Bill and Bob were walking on the Mun, collecting rocks for return to Kerbin to be analysed.

'Coor, look at this beauty, this has got to be the best one yet!' Bill excliamed, holding up a large, impressive rock, with a shiny glazed surface.

'Thats so shiny, Bill! The folks back on the ground will be very pleased!' said Jeb. 'Lets take it back to the ship!'

The two Kerbals carried the rock back to their ship, and stowed it and themselves on board.

'I can\'t wait to get this back! Let\'s go home!' Jeb said with excitement. He pressed the big red button. The little craft shot upwards into the vacuum, Leaving a storm of Lunar dust in it\'s wake.

In their exited rush, they had totally forgotten about their comrade Bob, who was quickly out of radio contact range. The sudden swirl of dust made him look up to see the spaceship leaving without him. He shrieked in desperation, even though he was well aware that, in space, no-one can hear you scream...

A few hours later, Jeb and bob were being shaken about in their seats during the re-entry phase back into kerbin\'s atmosphere. Then the parachutes opened, slowing their descent for a soft landing, assisted by the engines.

'Perfect landing!' Jeb and Bill high-fived each other. 'lets get this rock back to base. Bill, Bob, see to it that the rock gets safely to the science guys!'.

Only then did it strike either of them. They had forgotten Bob on the Mun.

'Oh no! What are we going to do now Jeb?!'

'There\'s only one thing we can do. We\'re going back for him.'

'But we only have three tanks of fuel left! It would be impossible!'

'It isn\'t impossible, It\'s Kerbal!'

This is a minimalist ship I made that can get to the Mun and back, twice. I just felt like giving it a bit of a story, I rushed it a bit at the end lol, it isn\'t very good, I know, any suggestions for improvement are welcome. Anyways I have attached the ship and pictures.

Edit: Just a few tips that might be helpful: My general flight plan is Straight up until first colour change on atmosphere indicator (~12km), at which point I lean over 45 degrees. I then carry on until the second colour change (~30km), and lean over about 90 degrees. Then circularize for 70km. This applies for the first Mun ship and the second.

For landing with the parachutes, I usually try to land in the ocean. Slow down initially with the chutes, then at about 150m, thrust the engines at maximum. This should slow the craft down just enough for a soft landing, assuming you have very little fuel left in that stage (as there should be if you\'ve just been to the Mun and back).

By the way, do you know that the structural pylon is half the mass of a radial decoupler and is just as useful? It\'s only .2 mass saved per decoupler but for all these ultra-minimalist things I\'m always seeing you do, it might add up to something significant in one of your builds. It would save you .8 mass on the upper stage of this ship, which is pretty significant... Basically a third of a fuel tank worth of mass.

@Analogy, Thanks! :D And yes, I have considered using the structural pylon, however I prefer using the usual decouplers as I am familiar with them, and it allows my craft to be more easily compared to/used with earlier versions of the game. It\'s Just a thing. I\'m not a big fan of the new stock parts :(

@sss, Thanks for the feedback regarding the story! Glad you like it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.