Model Rocketry Discussion Thread

ZodiaK

a while back there was a thread where everyone buzzed about model rockets; ones they had made, papercrafts, launces ect.

but sadly, it died :(

now I propose we do some mad necromancy and transfer the soul of that thread into a new host! I sacrifice the body of this thread as a vessel.

it shall live again

Since playing KSP, I\'ve revived a fascination with rockets (hasn\'t everyone?), and have since been making multiple models of rockets. Feel free to post any of your own projects here!

Papercraft, kits, launch models, whatever. :)

and it lives

you may begin conversation.

I'm "aiding" a class at a local high school's Rocketry club. Each year there is a competition, this year, an egg to 750Ft, rocket separation to two parts, both must land on ground without damage in 48 seconds from liftoff to touchdown. the payload must survive. This is going to be better then last year, that one was 2 eggs to 850 ft, 48 seconds no damage, no separation.

Both must be single stage only rockets too. we'll see what the kids come up with and how they work on the seperation.

-J

Been making the body of the rocket, i may as well place a firework rocket motor on it, as i don't think there are any hobby shops that sell model rocket motors, i'll have to wait though.

I stopped developing it as i ran out of glue, but as soon as i buy some more i'll get to work!

I have considered using sugar fuel, but i preffer using a firework rocket motor, less dangerous, i think.

It's good to see this restarted :)

It's too much hassle to launch rockets in the UK, so I'll stick to doing it virtually, have fun guys :D

That's a fun program. I spent about an hour with it.

I built a few rockets but never flew them, as I grew up in a dry Southern California valley surrounded by very flammable grassland.

Edited by Tommygun

As I grew up I built a lot of model rockets. Some on very high Total impulse engines.

My fastest was predicted to break the sound barrier with a G rated engine, but this was hard to measure as it just vanished at launch leaving a beautiful smoke trail up into the clouds.

This hobby was critical to my later interest in science and math.

I learned about the rocket equation and determining the center of pressure with algebra at a very young age because of this.

I learned the laws of motion and calculus shortly after to determine distance travelled on a body with changing mass, thrust, and drag force.

I have fond memories of the hobby. It was the seed to all my current hobbies and even my Career,

That's a fun program. I spent about an hour with it.

I built a few rockets but never flew them, as I grew up in a dry Southern California valley surrounded by very flammable grassland.

There's some high desert spots within driving distance of most southern California locations with huge amateur and high-power rocket launchers. ROC (http://rocstock.org) is the one I'm most familiar with; they launch out of Lucerne Dry Lakebed once a month and have huge twice-a-year three-day-long launch festivals. There are many other events and organizations within driving distance, including Black Rock, BALLS22, LDRS (Large Dangerous Rocket Ships, probably the most Kerbal of the bunch), and many others.

If you're in the area and/or have an opportunity to go to any of these events, I'd strongly recommend it. You can see some of their launches on YouTube, it's true, but there's nothing like being there in person and watching (and feeling) M-class after M-class launch shake you to your bones from a hundred meters away.

There's some high desert spots within driving distance of most southern California locations with huge amateur and high-power rocket launchers. ROC (http://rocstock.org) is the one I'm most familiar with; they launch out of Lucerne Dry Lakebed once a month and have huge twice-a-year three-day-long launch festivals. There are many other events and organizations within driving distance, including Black Rock, BALLS22, LDRS (Large Dangerous Rocket Ships, probably the most Kerbal of the bunch), and many others.

If you're in the area and/or have an opportunity to go to any of these events, I'd strongly recommend it. You can see some of their launches on YouTube, it's true, but there's nothing like being there in person and watching (and feeling) M-class after M-class launch shake you to your bones from a hundred meters away.

I need to find a cheaper hobby though. I tend to overdo mine.

I would end up doing sub orbital sounding rockets and an empty bank account.

I need to find a cheaper hobby though. I tend to overdo mine.

I would end up doing sub orbital sounding rockets and an empty bank account.

It's true--this is a really good way to "waste" lots of money, especially if you shoot for doing NAR level 2 and 3 class launches on a regular basis. Still, so much cheaper than my wife's hair and shoe budget! =p

Beautiful! Scratch built, you say? Is that an aluminum casing?

I noticed some fin asymmetry and a bulge in mid-casing. Do you have a lawn dart on your hands? Jebediah would be proud!

Thanks! It is a scratch build, the casing is PVC but has been painted to look like that, that fin has been placed a bit off center and in a small inclination, but it will be compensated with the other fins, making it spin to stabilize. The bulge in the middle is due to the PVC coupler being of a larger diameter than either the motor or parachute bays, I had to smoothen it out, it looks weird due to both parts not being fully coupled, once they are it will be a much smaller dent. Even the motor is homemade, R-Candy as propellant and more PVC for the combustion chamber, according to the simulations it should be providing around 700n of thrust. I still dont know what name to give it, so tell me your suggestions!

It's true--this is a really good way to "waste" lots of money, especially if you shoot for doing NAR level 2 and 3 class launches on a regular basis. Still, so much cheaper than my wife's hair and shoe budget! =p

That's why I prefer water bottle rockets

--update--

anyone know how to make side mounted boosters that drop once finished burning?

why yes i do...

so there are a couple schools of thought, one is Gravity assist and one is charge assist.

ill walk through both...

Gravity Assist:

essntially have an open rail that is capped at the top but not at the bottom. When the motors are finished burning the air just slides them off the rail nice and simple. The issues with this design is if off the bad the boosters are not lit or if one does not light because you then leave the boosters on the pad or you leave one on the pad and have asymetrical thurst (never a good thing), I would recommend this option for small Estes type stuff or some Mid Power applications where everything is lit on pad

Charge Assist:

use either a

a) small black powder charge to sever the connection points

B) a small retro rocket

c) shear pins on track snapped by the boosters ejection charge

a) pretty self explanatory, needs some sort of timer on main rocket to blow the charges

B) once again pretty self explanatory, use a rocket to force the boosters off, best combined with c below... similar to what the SS SRBs did

c) shear pins are small plastic (normally) pins that can keep the boosters from sliding off, if they are above the ejection charge, they can be snapped by the charge allowing the boosters to fall off

now a) is the most costly on a per launch basis because you have to replace the struts, c) is the simplest with good designs, B) looks the coolest...

charge assists are better on larger rockets

By the way I am Level 1 NAR Certified so feel free to ask any questions ;)

Blast from the past - seven years ago, in fact.

I retired from the hobby because it became progressively harder to get the parts and motors - back when I lived in NZ, there was only one reseller of model rocketry supplies (tubes, thrust rings and motors - not the ready made kits widely available from model shops), and the guy almost never answered phone calls or emails.

why yes i do...

so there are a couple schools of thought, one is Gravity assist and one is charge assist.

ill walk through both...

Gravity Assist:

essntially have an open rail that is capped at the top but not at the bottom. When the motors are finished burning the air just slides them off the rail nice and simple. The issues with this design is if off the bad the boosters are not lit or if one does not light because you then leave the boosters on the pad or you leave one on the pad and have asymetrical thurst (never a good thing), I would recommend this option for small Estes type stuff or some Mid Power applications where everything is lit on pad

Charge Assist:

use either a

a) small black powder charge to sever the connection points

B) a small retro rocket

c) shear pins on track snapped by the boosters ejection charge

a) pretty self explanatory, needs some sort of timer on main rocket to blow the charges

B) once again pretty self explanatory, use a rocket to force the boosters off, best combined with c below... similar to what the SS SRBs did

c) shear pins are small plastic (normally) pins that can keep the boosters from sliding off, if they are above the ejection charge, they can be snapped by the charge allowing the boosters to fall off

now a) is the most costly on a per launch basis because you have to replace the struts, c) is the simplest with good designs, B) looks the coolest...

charge assists are better on larger rockets

By the way I am Level 1 NAR Certified so feel free to ask any questions ;)

Thank you so much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.