Model Rocketry Discussion Thread

ZodiaK

Any Canadians here have any tips on getting into higher powered rocketry? I'm under 18 but I've heard that you can get licenses for higher power rockets as long as someone at a higher level supports you for your certification. I don't even know where I'd get certified. Is there any lower age limit on the level 1 certification like 14 or 16?

gonna try, but im still figuring out how to combust and pump the fuel.

Why would you use liquid fuel? Most smaller rocket motors run on black powder, and the larger ones tend to be Ammonium Perchlorate composites.

Edited by Charzy

Layereddiagram, Dont let that get to you it happens to a lot of people :)

Some tips, if using Estes BP motors store them in a cool dry place and in general use them withing about 5 years (preferably sooner). Now granted I have seen motors that were made in the 70s work perfectly because they were stored in a cool dry place with no major temp fluctuations

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel that this community needs a thread on model rocketry. So, voila, here it is. I personally don't know what else to say, so I'll just explain what this is: a discussion on any topic related to model rocket construction. You guys can discuss costs, homemade parts, concepts, exotic concepts, how to build them, tips, etc. You can post designs, either in real-life or in actual simulations (NOT ksp, as it is less realistic). If you want to post IRL, we'd all like to see photos. If you'd like to use simulations, I'd reccomend http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/, and some screenshots to please the social masses. Of course, this is not a craft archive, and actual models to show off are not needed, so you can just spend your time discussing model rockets.

43 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Be advised, it's in the form of a .jar.

Alrightly, I made a rocket that went 1346 meters high and was 56 centimeters long, that went at 224 m/s, not bad.

EDIT: After some tweaking, I made it go 1502 meters high, 307 m/s, and was 44 centimeters long.

EDIT EDIT: I made it go 1697 meters high (Over a mile!), 333 m/s (.98 mach), and is the same height, I just made it thinner.

Edited by Spaceception

21 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Alrightly, I made a rocket that went 1346 meters high and was 56 centimeters long, that went at 224 m/s, not bad.

EDIT: After some tweaking, I made it go 1502 meters high, 307 m/s, and was 44 centimeters long.

EDIT EDIT: I made it go 1697 meters high (Over a mile!), 333 m/s (.98 mach), and is the same height, I just made it thinner.

Nice! See if you can reach past Robert Goddard's highest models! Also, I'd like to see what the rocket looks like...

Anyone got some other ideas? What design aspects do you guys recommend for rockets (maybe some nice diagrams of designs)? Any exotic concepts?

Edited by Matuchkin

17 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

In real life I have a model rocket called the 'Quark', they are tiny, so fast, and are very easy to lose, especially if it is blue. Here's what it would look like:

000802_main_1.png

Well... this thread's interest is mostly based on crude designs made by forum members, not bought models.

9 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Nice! See if you can reach past Robert Goddard's highest models! Also, I'd like to see what the rocket looks like...

Anyone got some other ideas? What design aspects do you guys recommend for rockets (maybe some nice diagrams of designs)? Any exotic concepts?

How high was his model rockets, and how do you take a screenshot?

Edited by Spaceception

3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

How high was his model rockets, and how do you take a screenshot?

To take a screenshot and save it as a file. Press the Windows logo key +PrtScn. The screen will dim for a moment when the screen is copied and saved as a file in the Screenshots folder (which is in your Pictures folder).

Robert Goddard's rockets went as high as 1.6 miles (2574.95 meters)

12 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

To take a screenshot and save it as a file. Press the Windows logo key +PrtScn. The screen will dim for a moment when the screen is copied and saved as a file in the Screenshots folder (which is in your Pictures folder).

Robert Goddard's rockets went as high as 1.6 miles (2574.95 meters)

http://imgur.com/ioAcoWn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.