ZodiaK

Model Rocketry Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

On the last day of fourth grade (and weeks of construction), our fourth grade teacher (who I think is a deity), let us launch model rockets. Best day of school evar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Canadians here have any tips on getting into higher powered rocketry? I'm under 18 but I've heard that you can get licenses for higher power rockets as long as someone at a higher level supports you for your certification. I don't even know where I'd get certified. Is there any lower age limit on the level 1 certification like 14 or 16?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gonna try, but im still figuring out how to combust and pump the fuel.

Why would you use liquid fuel? Most smaller rocket motors run on black powder, and the larger ones tend to be Ammonium Perchlorate composites.

Edited by Charzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did when I was younger. I loved it, although I always had the desire to make it bigger. (Moar boosterz) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justicier, Now you can. Look up High Power Rocketry or go back a few pages... I believe that there are some HPR pics and Vids. It is a TON of fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Layereddiagram, Dont let that get to you it happens to a lot of people :)

Some tips, if using Estes BP motors store them in a cool dry place and in general use them withing about 5 years (preferably sooner). Now granted I have seen motors that were made in the 70s work perfectly because they were stored in a cool dry place with no major temp fluctuations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that this community needs a thread on model rocketry. So, voila, here it is. I personally don't know what else to say, so I'll just explain what this is: a discussion on any topic related to model rocket construction. You guys can discuss costs, homemade parts, concepts, exotic concepts, how to build them, tips, etc. You can post designs, either in real-life or in actual simulations (NOT ksp, as it is less realistic). If you want to post IRL, we'd all like to see photos. If you'd like to use simulations, I'd reccomend http://openrocket.sourceforge.net/, and some screenshots to please the social masses. Of course, this is not a craft archive, and actual models to show off are not needed, so you can just spend your time discussing model rockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I'm downloading this now, then I'll be inactive for a bit designing the rocket :)

Be advised, it's in the form of a .jar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I'm downloading this now, then I'll be inactive for a bit designing the rocket :)

You need Java.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Be advised, it's in the form of a .jar.

Alrightly, I made a rocket that went 1346 meters high and was 56 centimeters long, that went at 224 m/s, not bad.

EDIT: After some tweaking, I made it go 1502 meters high, 307 m/s, and was 44 centimeters long.

EDIT EDIT: I made it go 1697 meters high (Over a mile!), 333 m/s (.98 mach), and is the same height, I just made it thinner.

Edited by Spaceception

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In real life I have a model rocket called the 'Quark', they are tiny, so fast, and are very easy to lose, especially if it is blue. Here's what it would look like:

000802_main_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Alrightly, I made a rocket that went 1346 meters high and was 56 centimeters long, that went at 224 m/s, not bad.

EDIT: After some tweaking, I made it go 1502 meters high, 307 m/s, and was 44 centimeters long.

EDIT EDIT: I made it go 1697 meters high (Over a mile!), 333 m/s (.98 mach), and is the same height, I just made it thinner.

Nice! See if you can reach past Robert Goddard's highest models! Also, I'd like to see what the rocket looks like...

Anyone got some other ideas? What design aspects do you guys recommend for rockets (maybe some nice diagrams of designs)? Any exotic concepts?

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

In real life I have a model rocket called the 'Quark', they are tiny, so fast, and are very easy to lose, especially if it is blue. Here's what it would look like:

000802_main_1.png

Well... this thread's interest is mostly based on crude designs made by forum members, not bought models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Nice! See if you can reach past Robert Goddard's highest models! Also, I'd like to see what the rocket looks like...

Anyone got some other ideas? What design aspects do you guys recommend for rockets (maybe some nice diagrams of designs)? Any exotic concepts?

How high was his model rockets, and how do you take a screenshot?

Edited by Spaceception

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

How high was his model rockets, and how do you take a screenshot?

To take a screenshot and save it as a file. Press the Windows logo key +PrtScn. The screen will dim for a moment when the screen is copied and saved as a file in the Screenshots folder (which is in your Pictures folder).

Robert Goddard's rockets went as high as 1.6 miles (2574.95 meters)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

To take a screenshot and save it as a file. Press the Windows logo key +PrtScn. The screen will dim for a moment when the screen is copied and saved as a file in the Screenshots folder (which is in your Pictures folder).

Robert Goddard's rockets went as high as 1.6 miles (2574.95 meters)

http://imgur.com/ioAcoWn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Ho! Not bad, son. I'd like to see what happens with engine clustering and staging...

I don't know how to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.