Altiude set Deployable Fairing

Space_Coyote

A rather intersting thought crossed my mind tis morning when I was playing Kerbal and in fact this idea could work (after all we ahve Parachutes that Depoy or open when the vehicle htis a certain alttitude above the surface..

But this idea takes the idea and reuns it in reverse..

Everyone who builds a craft that has aerodynamic  fairing  either has to stage the fairing properly so that it opens when a certain event hpappens of you deply it maually (This is one thing that I du..)

But what if the fairing wer eto autodeply when the vehicle reaches a certain altitude.. . IN a way it's like the parachutes hwe have in game abut run in reverse..

(forexample the part could be set with a deply area that would range from say 35,000 mets all the way up to 70,000 meters.. 

And you could set this deploment altitude before you launch. (Much like you can set the parachuts an or the ablation for a heat shiled..

So then the real question is, could this work? an if so what type of coding would it take to make it work/

Thoughts?

Space_Coyote

I would think a simple plugin could do this. The altitude is available to a plugin - just a question of how to hook into the fairing deploy. The thing that would worry me is that I would be a bit off my planned accent and I would hit the planned altitude still under thrust and the deployed fairing wouldn't clear in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a plugin that does this for myself. I forget to use it most of the time, but it does work just like it should, I guess I could release it, I'm just lazy and making forum posts and coming up with licenses and stuff is a lot of work. Also I usually just stick them in the staging for my upper stage, since deploying fairings while thrusting is usually a really bad idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.