[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

On 6/25/2017 at 1:24 PM, Mikki said:

I found another small issue, the NV-100 Neptune seems to have some tags in the Actiongroupmanager doubled, they have to be assigned twice as well to work properly inflight. (Reactor, Radiator, Panel)
No biggie, just to say.

IxT2Jf1.png

@Nertea, you are one of the best, Cheerz!:D

That's... odd.

I think there must be a duplicate patch entry in the NFE integration patch... I will investigate.

-EDIT: Yes there are several. Don't know how that happened.

Edited by Nertea

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

That's... odd.

I think there must be a duplicate patch entry in the NFE integration patch... I will investigate.

-EDIT: Yes there are several. Don't know how that happened.

I can imagine how that happens, regarding the incredible amount of mod code you`ve made...:):confused:
Something for your personal amusement by the way, many of your excellent parts in another insane inane "Duna Mission on Kerbalism!"...:D Have a good time !

Edited by Mikki
typo8D

KerbalAtomics 0.4.3

• Added Spanish translation courtesy of fitiales
  •  Split KA/NFE patches into separate files due to their complexity
  •  Fixed Scylla and Neptune having duplicated KA/NFE patches
  • CryoTanks 0.4.3
    •  Added Spanish translation courtesy of fitiales
  •  Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 1.0.1
    •  Reduced logging
    •  Fixed an issue with generator parsing on ModuleResourceConverters

Does Kerbal Atomics change the JoolianEngine from the Joolian discovery mod to use LH2 rather than Liquid Fuel?

I just had a bunch of satellites in my career game get wacked by a change in the engines.  suddenly all of them are out of fuel even when the fuel tank is still half full of LF as they now want LH2.

1 hour ago, Bit Fiddler said:

Does Kerbal Atomics change the JoolianEngine from the Joolian discovery mod to use LH2 rather than Liquid Fuel?

I just had a bunch of satellites in my career game get wacked by a change in the engines.  suddenly all of them are out of fuel even when the fuel tank is still half full of LF as they now want LH2.

Yeah, it does that to other nuke engines outside of the mod, same with the stock NERV 

Did allready someone investigate the negative masses on the cryo-tanks? I`ve came across some posts and now i realised that several tanks have inaccurate drymasses, and i am currently looking to edit them myself for suiting numbers...
What would be a reference for a long 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 and 5m diameter cryotank? 

@Nertea, fyi
EDIT: i solved the issue myself, there is a CryoFuelTankTypes patch in Cryotanks folder, and i changed the value for LH2 and LH2cryo (tanks) from
0.00007something
to
0.00014something

This works excellent on all the LH2cryo tanks and gives them a reasonable and balanced positive drymass, so i can continue my Kerbalism mission to Duna...:D

Edited by Mikki
typo8D

1 hour ago, Mikki said:

Did allready someone investigate the negative masses on the cryo-tanks? I`ve came across some posts and now i realised that several tanks have inaccurate drymasses, and i am currently looking to edit them myself for suiting numbers...
What would be a reference for a long 1.25, 2.5, 3.75 and 5m diameter cryotank? 

@Nertea, fyi
EDIT: i solved the issue myself, there is a CryoFuelTankTypes patch in Cryotanks folder, and i changed the value for LH2 and LH2cryo (tanks) from
0.00007something
to
0.00014something

This works excellent on all the LH2cryo tanks and gives them a reasonable and balanced positive drymass, so i can continue my Kerbalsim mission to Duna...:D

That will give you some weird values, I'm not seeing this issue in my install. Are you sure you have the latest version of the cryotanks package?

54 minutes ago, Nertea said:

That will give you some weird values, I'm not seeing this issue in my install. Are you sure you have the latest version of the cryotanks package?

eeerm it works perfectly in my install, and i`ve updated anything... i have Ksp in the background running actually and i can deplete the cryotanks, stage, engines have thrust, drymasses of all LH2 cryo tanks in my install are now positive and show values comparable to stock LFO drymasses... no joke. (Middle click in SPH/VAB shows precise dry/wetmass of parts btw)
I use the patch for cryogenic fuel on all nuclearengines, also the stock one...
@Nertea
EDIT: The right cryotank picture, LH2 only, sorry!

dfLQkVb.png

Edited by Mikki

So there's a problem, but if you change that number you will have wrong values.

It looks like the issue is here (In CryoTanksFuelSwitcher.cfg), yet another number I forgot to change...

// ZBO tanks
@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zzz_CryoTanks]
{
	%LH2 = #$RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]/maxAmount$

%massOffset = #$LH2$
	@massOffset *= 0.00001417 // <- EDIT HERE (dry mass per unit LH2 capacity)

That number right there is the correct number. The deployed build does not have the correct one :(. 

49 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I'm getting the same issues, but only in LH2 mode.  Any of the pretty gold cryo tanks have negative mass when emptied, both in the VAB and on the pad.

Spoiler

ARW3XVD.jpg

Not sure if it's another mod rewriting the mass of LH2, though.

4 minutes ago, Nertea said:

So there's a problem, but if you change that number you will have wrong values.

It looks like the issue is here (In CryoTanksFuelSwitcher.cfg), yet another number I forgot to change...

// ZBO tanks
@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zzz_CryoTanks]
{
	%LH2 = #$RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]/maxAmount$

%massOffset = #$LH2$
	@massOffset *= 0.00001417 // <- EDIT HERE (dry mass per unit LH2 capacity)

That number right there is the correct number. The deployed build does not have the correct one :(. 

You are still the Greatest! Heads up! :) Thank you :)

Hey, I noticed the Eel NTR was not getting any associated reactor controls when using the patches for NFE integration. I stared at the patch files for a while comparing the ntr-sc-0625-1.cfg patch with the others, and I noticed at the top of the file the @ was missing. It read:

PART[ntr-sc-0625-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]

I changed it to 

@PART[ntr-sc-0625-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]

And then it worked. 

Just a heads up! 

Hello, thank you for all your great mods! Noticed an issue on KSP 1.3, using newest Atomics not from CKAN with the Extras LFO patch. Despite the patch, the Scylla still requires LH2 in non-LOxAugmented mode, although LOxAugmented mode works perfectly (and might be a bit overpowered! :D)

With the nerv's using LH2, how do you guys change the design of your SSTO's due to the increased demand of volume? Stock Mk2 SSTO's suddenly get to the size of mk3 ones, without the additional payload.

Do you just stick a bunch of cryo tanks on the side of those spaceplanes?

32 minutes ago, Blackline said:

With the nerv's using LH2, how do you guys change the design of your SSTO's due to the increased demand of volume? Stock Mk2 SSTO's suddenly get to the size of mk3 ones, without the additional payload.

Hi there, i think the basic idea of this excellent and epic mod is to use it in space exclusivly, i`ve never seen a winged SSTO on this forums with these mod parts... LH2 is very light and takes huge volumes to store, thats the culprit and the difference to LFO...

2 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Hi there, i think the basic idea of this excellent and epic mod is to use it in space exclusivly, i`ve never seen a winged SSTO on this forums with these mod parts... LH2 is very light and takes huge volumes to store, thats the culprit and the difference to LFO...

You mean LF? And since the mod changes all nukes (even the stock/ other mod ones) there are no fallbacks.

Wait, idea, @Nertea could you make a mode switch for the nerv's? One high ISP LH2 mode, and a low ISP LF mode? That would be perfect. Similar to the rapier's or the afterburner engines two modes. Maybe I'll get time for some cfg phun!

Edited by Blackline

On 3.7.2017 at 0:03 AM, Chimichanga said:

Hello, thank you for all your great mods! Noticed an issue on KSP 1.3, using newest Atomics not from CKAN with the Extras LFO patch. Despite the patch, the Scylla still requires LH2 in non-LOxAugmented mode, although LOxAugmented mode works perfectly (and might be a bit overpowered! :D)

Its actually intended, the engine is a Bi-modal type, LH2 only or LH2 plus LiquidOxidizer...:D Therefor augmented mode for increased thrust but lesser ISP.

The mechanics in this mod are really nifty, takes some time to use it properly, i struggle myself sometimes still...:D

On 7/2/2017 at 3:57 AM, ChainiaC said:

Hey, I noticed the Eel NTR was not getting any associated reactor controls when using the patches for NFE integration. I stared at the patch files for a while comparing the ntr-sc-0625-1.cfg patch with the others, and I noticed at the top of the file the @ was missing. It read:

PART[ntr-sc-0625-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]

I changed it to 

@PART[ntr-sc-0625-1]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]

And then it worked. 

Just a heads up! 

Easily fixed for tomorrow's update.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:03 PM, Chimichanga said:

Err... weird. Do the other dual-mode engines transform to LF properly?

3 hours ago, Blackline said:

Ever seen a picture of the Skylon in comparison with other aircraft? It's huuuuuge. The answer is probably to use compact fuels for such projects, or as another person mentioned, use LH2+OX modes.

In fact, it would be a fairly interesting architecture to have an SSTO take off on air breathing/augmented engines, then rendezvous with a big tank structure for travel in orbit. 

16 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Ever seen a picture of the Skylon in comparison with other aircraft? It's huuuuuge. The answer is probably to use compact fuels for such projects, or as another person mentioned, use LH2+OX modes.

You mention LH2+OX modes, do your engines support that?

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

You mention LH2+OX modes, do your engines support that?

Around 1/3 of them do, the Neptune and the Stubber in the 1.25m category and the Poseidon in the 2.5m category. 

@Chimichanga I tested and failed to reproduce this, both modes convert well to LF and LFO in my install.

Edited by Nertea

I can't remember if I asked about this, but is there a single zip file download with all your up to date addons, @Nertea? Would make keeping up to date a lot easier, since you have so many. Even with KSP AVC and whatnot telling me which are out of date, it's often a lot of manual downloads and checking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.