[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

36 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I intend on building it in the VAB and docking it up. I intend on using keridian dynamics to build surface bases and using planetary domes to build surface bases. I also intend on using kerbalism which causes critical ship malfunctions, I have actually practiced a bit with it, I did a 100 year mission, the ship was fairly damaged and it was still thousands of years to proxima b. I have a LOT of planning to do for this mission, I intend on gaining help. I have actually never created a colony or surface base before lol. Do you wanna join the initiative? I still dunno what you mean by long range relays, if you mean for communications, then yeah

Possibly. Is there a thread for this? Nertea doesn't need to be spammed with unnecessary notifications.

On 07/05/2017 at 10:19 PM, hab136 said:

The Emancipator cannot be refueled due to its design (Open Cycle Gas Core).  If you need a refuel-able engine, use a different one.

I just sent a huge mothership to Jool powered by four of those things and a tank of 960 units of refined uranium thinking it could use that. :0.0:

How long does the uranium last, approximately? Ship has 20 km/s of dV in LH2

Also, wouldn't it theoretically be possible to refuel the engine from a realism standpoint?

15 hours ago, Spaceception said:

@Nertea Hey, I just wanted to ask, because I don't know what page you address this in, but are those white tanks redesigned ones? Becasue they're awesome looking :D

Same(ish?) models, new textures. But I agree Nertea did a great job with them!

21 hours ago, Hoddd9000 said:

I just sent a huge mothership to Jool powered by four of those things and a tank of 960 units of refined uranium thinking it could use that. :0.0:

Also, wouldn't it theoretically be possible to refuel the engine from a realism standpoint?

Oops.  Send some replacement engines and an engineer, and you can swap it out using KIS and maybe Konstruction.

AFAIK it was a design choice - better stats in exchange for a sealed, single-use system.  It basically spits its waste out the nozzle along with the heated H2, which can't be good for the engine.  You'd basically have to rebuild it after use, rather than just refuel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 7:53 AM, Hoddd9000 said:

It'd probably be a good idea to add some info about this to the tooltip I suppose. I thought I had but eh...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
Yes, I am currently working on the Kerbal Atomics update for KSP 1.3. They will include rebalances and possibly some craft-breaking changes. If you use the mod in KSP 1.3 in its current state, you will have a Bad Time.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:45 PM, Cadet_BNSF said:

Does this mod convert the stock NERV engine to LH2 as well?

Yes!

2 hours ago, PanzerAce said:

I'm coming back to this from a good bit of time away from KSP. What ever happened to the NSWR engine you were working on?

NSWR along with other relatively "exotic" propulsion is in development over at Far Future Technologies

I ran into a fairly annoying problem that I should have expected when cleaning up the new fuel tanks.

Basically, using a more 'perfect' capsule shape made it so that the short tanks in the larger radii are not feasible. Imagine making a short capsule - the wider you make it, the larger your minimum height is before you start cutting off parts of the rounded end. 

I have three options to proceed, realistically two:

1. Scrap the small 3.75m and the small 5m tanks (fastest option)
  2. Create completely different models for said tanks (adds ~2 weeks to release time for CryoEngines and KA, so like a month at least for now)

What should I dooooo.

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

What should I dooooo.

6 hours ago, maja said:

Scrap them for now and make different models later?

This might be the best of both worlds. You could optionally keep the old ones around temporarily as a deprecated option. (Though given how incredibly annoying people behaved when you deprecated the old Near Future Spacecraft engines for the new models, I'd understand if you prefer not to.)

What might the hypothetical new models look like? I'm guessing bundles of spherical tanks, like the larger xenon tanks from Near Future Propulsion? That would be neat as it might make it plausible to add the flat/pancake tank heights.

I concur. BOTH!

Mostly because landers do better with shorter profiles, thus short 3.5m and 5m tanks would be very nice for my rocket designs. At the moment I put often nacelles full of fuel out to the side to keep my CG low.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

I ran into a fairly annoying problem that I should have expected when cleaning up the new fuel tanks.

Basically, using a more 'perfect' capsule shape made it so that the short tanks in the larger radii are not feasible. Imagine making a short capsule - the wider you make it, the larger your minimum height is before you start cutting off parts of the rounded end. 

2. Create completely different models for said tanks (adds ~2 weeks to release time for CryoEngines and KA, so like a month at least for now)

What should I dooooo.

Or option 3 
Keep it and does not look as good as it should with these two specific part? Hard to say, a picture would help to understand the nature of the problem.

11 hours ago, Nertea said:

What should I dooooo.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

On 1.6.2017 at 5:25 PM, Nertea said:

What should I dooooo.

Good time to thank you for your incredible work :)

Yeah I think after some study the best course is clearly to remove the smallest 3.75m tank, not build a 5m tank of that height, and ship the mods that way. At some point in the future, rebuild these non-extant tanks.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, PocketBrotector said:

What might the hypothetical new models look like? I'm guessing bundles of spherical tanks, like the larger xenon tanks from Near Future Propulsion? That would be neat as it might make it plausible to add the flat/pancake tank heights.

I envision a simple cluster of capsule tanks, something like this old part, except of course skeletally matching the current set and much better looking. This time I would configure the size so that the capsules can be chopped up properly to create 3.75m and possibly 1.875m height inline tanks. The 5m diameter tank would have more capsules than the 3.75m tank

I'd also like to put out the call for people who use this mod and either ModularFuelTanks, ProcedualFuelTanks or ProceduralWings and are able to spend some time looking at the configs. I don't know how these mods work, and there's user-contributed patches as part of CryoTanks that have been variously reported to "not work". I need some help repairing these. If not, I'll just rip them out.

The current version of said configs are here.

Edited by Nertea

17 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I'd also like to put out the call for people who use this mod and either ModularFuelTanks, ProcedualFuelTanks or ProceduralWings and are able to spend some time looking at the configs. I don't know how these mods work, and there's user-contributed patches as part of CryoTanks that have been variously reported to "not work". I need some help repairing these. If not, I'll just rip them out

I contributed the ProceduralWings patch but only ever tested it for B9 wings (it seemed to work fine at that time for that mod).

I can test it out again in like two weeks when I have a functioning KSP-capable computer again. Is there a more detailed bug report we can use to direct the troubleshooting?

10 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

I can test it out again in like two weeks when I have a functioning KSP-capable computer again. Is there a more detailed bug report we can use to direct the troubleshooting?

Not really unfortunately, maybe dig through the thread? There's been a few over time (mostly MFT, I mainly included PWings because it's another patch I don't understand). I guess I just need a confirmation it works "as expected" with the latest versions. If you were the one who contributed the patch, do you mind if I note you as maintainer in the file?

So, while testing of the NFT builds is ongoing, I completed model and texture work for the tiny NTR.

9oaKW7x.png

Additionally, the gas-core aerospike is s also completed at looking good! We've got three model variants here, normal, enclosed and 3.75m. Soon, the FX and emissives will be completed.

nO5A8N9.png

px3oxr0.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.