[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

IIRC this mode changes the stock nerv to switch modes from liquid fuel to LH2, right? I'm having an issue between that patch and real plume in which the exhaust is always on. I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and the lastest version of Kerbal Atomics

On 3/22/2018 at 2:22 PM, Nertea said:

I don't like either tbh.

I always just use the white textures instead, but FWIW, I like the bottom texture in that image better.  (It looks more similar to the stock orange tank, though — I don't know if the original texture was specifically meant to be visually distinct, to differentiate cryo tanks from non-cryo.)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if there's a mod that makes these engines use KSP Interstellar's nuclear engine module instead? I prefer the KSPI module because it lets me switch propellants to tweak the ISP and thrust to my liking.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm expecting a few bugs but I hope the mini pre-release of CryoTanks will have addressed the worst of them

Kerbal Atomics 0.5.0

•  KSP 1.4.2
  •  Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.2.1
  •  Updated MM to 3.0.6
  •  Updated MiniAVC to 1.2.0.1
  •  Updated CRP to 0.10.0
  •  Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 1.3.0
  •  Updated CryoTanks to 1.0.0
    •  Fixed boiloff being disabled if a tank's fuel was disabled
    •  Fixed boiloff rates being calculated incorrectly at timewarp
    •  Redid all tank textures, particularly foils
    •  Added 3 new tank models
      •  Short 2.5m (standard, compact variants)
      •  Short 3.75m (standard, compact, bare variants)
      •  Short 5m (standard, compact, bare variants)
    •  Fixed attach nodes of 3.75m compact tank variants
    •  Rebalanced capacities, masses and costs of all tanks
    •  Decreased cooling cost of ZBO tanks to 0.05 Ec/1000u
    •  Added an optional ability to specify a set of OUTPUT_RESOURCE blocks in a BOILOFFCONFIG. This causes boiloff to produce that resource with the specified ratio and flow mode. See Config Documentation section
    •  Added the optional ability to specify boiloff as dependent on solar/planetary radiation input. See Config Documentation section

On 7/8/2017 at 7:16 AM, blowfish said:

It's on CKAN, but it has weird version numbers due to sharing the Kerbal Atomics download (and no way to force-overwrite it with info from .version)

This should be fixed; the latest versions of DynamicBatteryStorage and CryoTanks are now indexed under the proper versions (1.3.0 and 1.0.0 respectively) from their specific version files in the downloads.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:48 AM, juanml82 said:

IIRC this mode changes the stock nerv to switch modes from liquid fuel to LH2, right? I'm having an issue between that patch and real plume in which the exhaust is always on. I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and the lastest version of Kerbal Atomics

I was having this problem too, and I fixed it by disabling the patch: GameData/RealPlume-Stock/Squad/nuclearEngine.cfg. Just change it from .cfg to .txt

On 4/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, cineboxandrew said:

Any plans for Salt Water Nuclear Rockets? I want my torchships >:D

Not in this mod, no. 

On 4/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, LameLefty said:

Hi @Nertea - Apologies but where can I find the Configuration documentation referred to in your release post above?

Thanks!

Check the CryoTanks repo. Fair warning the new features are not as well tested as other things. 

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Not in this mod, no. 

Check the CryoTanks repo. Fair warning the new features are not as well tested as other things. 

Cool, thanks! Most of my current gameplay using these (awesome!) engines and LH2 is in the outer system; it'll be interesting/fun to play around with the albedo/heat flux configs to see how it changes things.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, cineboxandrew said:

The Karbonite mod by RoverDude has a version of what you're looking for in the form of Karborundum fusion torch drives. They use water and fuel at a 50:1 ratio (same as a NSWR) and have an Isp of 25,000. They're going to push some stations and other craft featuring SSPXr and other NF parts to Grannus for me.

Check out nerteas FarFutureTechnologies (KSPI but in simple) which has an NSWR.It's only available on  github because of issues with the stock heating system though. You've been warned 

On 14.4.2018 at 12:57 AM, cineboxandrew said:

On 4/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, cineboxandrew said:

I'll echo the comment to check out @Nertea's Far Future Tech, but only if you're willing to accept the risk of a very much in testing mod. I love it and haven't had any issues aside from learning how to use the parts, such as the amount of thermal radiators required for a lot of these engines, but others have had significant issues due to a stock KSP thermal modeling problem causing ships to explode often. At least, that's how I understand the issue. Like I said, I've not had the issue (yet). Or maybe I just write it off as poor ship thermal design on my part. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Astronut33 said:

Is the fuel tank texture shown in the image in this mod? I downloaded but it's the orangish texture.

If you're talking about the pic in the OP, I think it's from this, though it may be from Cryo Engines and one of those cryo tanks. If it is what you're talking about, they can be switched between the icosahedral pattern from the pic or the foil version.

I'm on 1.4.2 and unless I'm missing something or messed something up I don't see the required cooling for nuclear engines.  I could have sworn there use to be info in the descriptions about required cooling.

Edited by KSPNoob

6 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

If you're talking about the pic in the OP, I think it's from this, though it may be from Cryo Engines and one of those cryo tanks. If it is what you're talking about, they can be switched between the icosahedral pattern from the pic or the foil version.

Ah okay, thanks. How do you change between the two? I looked in the files and I only see the foil textures.

4 hours ago, Astronut33 said:

Ah okay, thanks. How do you change between the two? I looked in the files and I only see the foil textures.

Hmm, well, if you have the CryoTanks folder in your install (which comes with KA), you could look at the cfg for any of the hydrogen tanks and see that it has a few different appearances described, like foil, white, foil bare, and white bare. You are able to switch them with B9 partswitch, which is also bundled with KA. Starting to think you may have an install issue if you aren't able to switch tank appearances. Should be part of the right click menu when you're designing the craft.

17 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

I'm on 1.4.2 and unless I'm missing something or messed something up I don't see the required cooling for nuclear engines.  I could have sworn there use to be info in the descriptions about required cooling.

Do you have the NFE integration installed? It needs that. And NFE. 

19 hours ago, Astronut33 said:

Is the fuel tank texture shown in the image in this mod? I downloaded but it's the orangish texture.

Right click on the tank in the VAB and select the variants. 

7 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

Hmm, well, if you have the CryoTanks folder in your install (which comes with KA), you could look at the cfg for any of the hydrogen tanks and see that it has a few different appearances described, like foil, white, foil bare, and white bare. You are able to switch them with B9 partswitch, which is also bundled with KA. Starting to think you may have an install issue if you aren't able to switch tank appearances. Should be part of the right click menu when you're designing the craft.

Sorry I’m an idiot, I assumed it was something in the files and never thought to switch textures in the VAB. Thank you for the help though, it worked. 

Edited by Astronut33

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.