[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

35 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

CKAN does not seem to have a folder for KA

installed - GameData\KerbalAtomics\ , without any extras

archive with Extras - CKAN\downloads\722C107C-KerbalAtomics-1-0.5.1.zip\Extras\

All extras can be added to CKAN as separate mods, with suggesting from a base mod.

Kerbal Atomics 0.5.2

•  KSP 1.5.1
  •  Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.4.4
  • Updated MM to 3.1.0
  •  Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 1.3.3
  •  Updated CRP to 1.0.0
  •  Updated MiniAVC to 1.2.0.6
  • Updated CryoTanks to 1.0.2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've recently gotten back into KSP after a long hiatus, and have been incredibly pleased to see Nertea's mods still kicking (and updated to boot!) 

I've installed KA along with a few other of Nertea's mods and I'm having a spot of trouble figuring out how to use those advanced SSTO-facilitating nuclear engines - they overheat and explode within a minute of ignition. I don't think that's part of the design intent, and I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I am sure it's a simple thing but I am not going to space today and I am not happy.

I am steadily combing through this forum trying to figure out if I need a ton of radiators (although from what I've read, the exhaust should be enough to cool it?) and I've deleted each mod and reinstalled a fresh download to ensure there's no orphaned, deprecated files lying around (I hope). I have installed the NTRusesLF patch for simplicity. I only use MechJeb, StageRecovery, and Hyperedit beyond the NearFutureEverything mods so I don't think that's a problem.  

Could a friendly soul clarify how they work and offer a quick suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/BKSOhnH

Edit: also trying to figure out how to add an image...

Edited by Threadsinger

56 minutes ago, Threadsinger said:

Welcome back.

You're obviously using Imgur so you need to copy the "direct link" option and then click on "Insert other media/Insert image from URL" in your post (below right).

Edited by Brigadier

@Threadsinger, yeah, there is something wonky going on with engines' heat production, and KA is being hit really hard with that. I've observed Scylla Nuclear aerospike produce whooping 3GW of heat when running in LH2+Ox mode. That is... a bit more than you can feasibly get rid of without turning your ship into one big flying radiator (unless you have those otherwise-OP radiators from KSPIE).

Granted, I did boost the engine's ISP a bit but, c'mon, did the exhaust really carry away that much heat?

Hello,

I have something very wonky going on with Deployable Engines. If I build a craft with octo-2, EP-18 engine plate from expansion and a launch clamp, when released the engine plate will slowly rotate in air.

I have tested this on a stripped down installation with CryoEngines, KerbalAtomics, B9PartSwitch and DeployableEngines installed. When I removed CE and KA the problem disappeared.

Also sometimes other coupling parts (for example, Hydraulic Detachment Manifold) seem to cause the effect, but in orbit. Vessel will be stuck to the orbit it had when ?mystery? happens. Engines produce thrust but no change in velocity.

Output log and save with vessel on launchpad: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dja38usaw18wx1m/log_and_save.zip?dl=0

Didn't see anything in logs but...

Thank you.

15 hours ago, Threadsinger said:

Hello,

I've recently gotten back into KSP after a long hiatus, and have been incredibly pleased to see Nertea's mods still kicking (and updated to boot!) 

I've installed KA along with a few other of Nertea's mods and I'm having a spot of trouble figuring out how to use those advanced SSTO-facilitating nuclear engines - they overheat and explode within a minute of ignition. I don't think that's part of the design intent, and I've been trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I am sure it's a simple thing but I am not going to space today and I am not happy.

I am steadily combing through this forum trying to figure out if I need a ton of radiators (although from what I've read, the exhaust should be enough to cool it?) and I've deleted each mod and reinstalled a fresh download to ensure there's no orphaned, deprecated files lying around (I hope). I have installed the NTRusesLF patch for simplicity. I only use MechJeb, StageRecovery, and Hyperedit beyond the NearFutureEverything mods so I don't think that's a problem.  

Could a friendly soul clarify how they work and offer a quick suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/BKSOhnH

Worth looking at this post - you need to think differently than your average rocket to use it effectively. Lofted trajectories are more effective, and getting up to high speed in the atmosphere is not effective. I was just testing a SSTO rocket using 4 gas-core aerospikes a day or two ago and didn't have any trouble getting large payloads into orbit (and back) with a bit of adjustment to my vessel and trajectory design. 

Minor update, mainly to bump the bundled B9PS which contains a major issue and to lose the actual MiniAVC dll 

KA v0.5.3

•  Updated bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.4.5
  •  Updated CryoTanks to 1.0.3
  •  Removed MiniAVC from distribution

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Nertea fan here and first time poster, with a soft bug to report.

About the Emancipator engine and the now infamous Near Future Electrical integration patch.

All KA engines have an ISP penalty for running at 0% reactor output and non-100% engine throttle, but with the Emancipator you can cheat, thanks to its tiny maneuvering thrusters eating up all the extra heat produced by the reactor.

Here are the steps to reproduce the "bug":

1. Activate the Emancipator via normal staging.
  2. Turn reactor on at 100% and heat it up to the desired temperature.
  3. Throttle up to 100% and do most of your burn.
  4. Time to fine adjust the last m/s of the burn, turn the main engine thrust limiter to 1% (or whatever) and leave the maneuvering thrusters to 100%
  5. There you have it! An emancipator with less than 50kN of thrust and no ISP penalty. Thankfully those tiny thrusters are able to dissipate 1GW of heat. :cool:
  6. Turn reactor down to 0%
  7. Throttle down to 0%. There! Burn done!

I quickly read through the 41 pages of comments and I think I didn't see this issue reported yet. I apologize if it was already known.

I am trying to fiddle with the .cfg files and see if something changes, but I know only how to change values, copy and paste.

On a sidenote, I think reactor cores cool down waaay too slowly when I need to repair them and they are strangely unaffected by time warp, we are talking hours of real-time waiting.

In the ModuleCoreHeatNoCatchup of each engine ramping up the MaxCalculationWarp from 1000 to 100000 seems to help a bit, but I changed other values in that module so other factors may be at play. I don't actually know what I am doing. :/

Here's the changed module of the Emancipator for example:

MODULE
    {
        name =  ModuleCoreHeatNoCatchup
        CoreTempGoal = 18000                    //Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
        CoreToPartRatio = 0.1                //Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
        CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0            //Dynamic goal adjustment
        CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.001            //What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
        HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.05        //If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
        CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0.01        //If the core is colder, how much radiates?
        HeatTransferMultiplier = 0            //If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
        CoolantTransferMultiplier = 1    //If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
        radiatorCoolingFactor = 1            //How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
        radiatorHeatingFactor = 0.01        //How much energy we push to the active radiator
        MaxCalculationWarp = 100000            //Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
        CoreShutdownTemp = 8000                //At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
        MaxCoolant = 1125000                    //Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 50 = 1 small
    }

Edited by Sbarandato
Including .cfg changes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question. After all this time...I just noticed the xtra cfgs in the deployable engine plugin download from ckan. I was wondering why it was 60ish MB when the .dll is only a few KB.. I dont see much info on what they do and I notice a few modules that are unfamiliar to me. Can anyone help with this? Im not sure if I should use it..if its out of date and unneeded anymore..that kinda stuff. there are cfgs for stock and NRE, and I use both mods so this info could be useful for me. Could also be useful to others too.

Thanks

On 12/22/2018 at 9:49 AM, Wiowt said:

@Nertea

I use cfg from "extra" file, and when reactor in engine overheats, thrust falls to 0 kn, but there is still exhaust animation. Is it a bug?

Intentional so you know you're wasting propellant.

19 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Just a quick question. After all this time...I just noticed the xtra cfgs in the deployable engine plugin download from ckan. I was wondering why it was 60ish MB when the .dll is only a few KB.. I dont see much info on what they do and I notice a few modules that are unfamiliar to me. Can anyone help with this? Im not sure if I should use it..if its out of date and unneeded anymore..that kinda stuff. there are cfgs for stock and NRE, and I use both mods so this info could be useful for me. Could also be useful to others too.

Thanks

Ckan is not supported as per the OP

I dont install the plugin via ckan because of the size of the folder. But rather via your NF Aero mod since its bundled with it. 

im just wondering what the cfgs in the extras folder do and I cant find any info about them. Are you saying someone else created them?

15 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

I dont install the plugin via ckan because of the size of the folder. But rather via your NF Aero mod since its bundled with it. 

im just wondering what the cfgs in the extras folder do and I cant find any info about them. Are you saying someone else created them?

'xtra cfgs in the deployable engine plugin download' -> There are no extras related to DeployableEngines, so I don't know what you mean. If this thing comes from CKAN, I currently don't support things that come from CKAN... maybe soon though.

Kerbal Atomics 0.5.4

•  KSP 1.6.x
  •  Updated ModuleManager to 3.1.3
  •  Updated CryoTanks to 1.1.0
  •  Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.6.0
  •  Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 1.4.0
  •  Updated DeployableEngines to 1.0.0
  •  Minor change to licensing of code/configs (MIT now)

Important thing - the sub-plugins (CryoTanks, DeployableEngines and DynamicBatteryStorage) are now fully qualified mods with versioning and such. This means that quite shortly, CKAN will be supported.

Also please note the removal of the Dropbox D/L. It was annoying to update, if you want you can now get it from the Github releases page.

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

'xtra cfgs in the deployable engine plugin download' -> There are no extras related to DeployableEngines, so I don't know what you mean. If this thing comes from CKAN, I currently don't support things that come from CKAN... maybe soon though.

Hmm...Alright. Well thanks for the speedy response. Perhaps ill poke my head into the ckan thread and ask around. Cheers! And good luck with your current projects! 

4 hours ago, Nertea said:

Important thing - the sub-plugins (CryoTanks, DeployableEngines and DynamicBatteryStorage) are now fully qualified mods with versioning and such. This means that quite shortly, CKAN will be supported. 

This will definitely make my KSP life easier, thank you.  I mean, thanks for all the work you put into all of your mods, but this is good news.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @Nertea!

I seem to be getting an exception from DBS and I can't exactly figure out what's causing it.

Here's a copy of the specific part of the Log where I get the exception.

I actually did some testing with jsut DBS and kerbal atomic alone i didn't have any issues.

Then i thought about all other mods that touch EC or Battery models.

I narrowed it down to occuring only when the Fusebox mod is installed.  is there a know incompatibility?

Thanks!

[LOG 21:38:57.481] [Dynamic Battery Storage]: Summary: 
 vessel mk1-3pod (loaded state True)
- 26 stock power handlers
[ERR 21:38:57.481] Exception handling event onVesselWasModified in class VesselStatsManager:System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
  at TrackResource.VesselStatsManager.Remove (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TrackResource.VesselStatsManager.Reload (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 21:38:57.482] InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    TrackResource.VesselStatsManager.Remove (.Vessel v)
    TrackResource.VesselStatsManager.Reload (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    Part:decouple(Single)
    LaunchClamp:Release()
    LaunchClamp:OnActive()
    Part:ModulesOnActivate()
    Part:force_activate(Boolean)
    Part:force_activate()
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateStage(Int32)
    KSP.UI.Screens.StageManager:ActivateNextStage()
    FlightInputHandler:Update()

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.