Nertea

[1.7.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (July 29)

Recommended Posts

I am personally pretty disappointed with the new FX being less vivid and bright. But the textures and models are great as always!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerbal Atomics 1.0.3

  • Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.8.0
  • Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.0.0
    • Complete rebuild
    • Mod now acts as a general power and thermal design tool as well as its previous functions
    • Added toolbar icon to open a Vessel Systems Management window
    • Vessel Systems Management Window
      • Allows player to view relevant Thermal and Electrical summary of the current vessel in VAB or flight
      • Electrical summary:
        • Shows whole-vessel power flows, separated into consumption and generation
        • VAB panel has a tool to simulate distance effects on solar panel efficiency
        • Estimates time to drain or time to charge batteries
        • Can drill down to part categories (eg. Solar Panels, Harvesters, etc)
        • Can drill down to individual parts
        • Handles these module types
          • Stock: ModuleDeployableSolarPanel, ModuleGenerator, ModuleResourceConverter, ModuleActiveRadiator, ModuleResourceHarvester, ModuleCommand, ModuleLight, ModuleDataTransmitter, ModuleEnginesFX, ModuleAlternator
          • NF Suite: ModuleCurvedSolarPanel, FissionGenerator, ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator, ModuleCryoTank, ModuleAntimatterTank, ModuleChargeableEngine, ModuleDeployableCentrifuge, DischargeCapacitor (partial)
          • RealBattery: RealBattery
          • Other: KopernicusSolarPanel
      • Thermal mode:
        • Shows whole-vessel core heat flows, separated into draw and generation
        • Can drill down to part categories (eg. Solar Panels, Harvesters, etc)
        • Can drill down to individual parts
        • NOTE: does not handle non-core heat(eg re-entry, engines, solar)
        • NOTE: does not make a distinction between adjacent-only radiators and full-vessel radiators
        • Handles relevant module types
          • Stock: ModuleCoreHeat (Passive heat only eg RTG), ModuleResourceConverter, ModuleActiveRadiator, ModuleResourceHarvester
          • NF Suite: FissionReactor, ModuleFusionCore
    • Customize settings with DynamicBatteryStorageSettings.cfg
  • Updated CryoTanks to 1.1.4
    • Changed LH2/O tank switcher patch to not activate cooling by default as such tanks are on average intended to be uncooled (thanks Zorg)
  • Added compatibility patch for EngineLightRelit (courtesy of Nightside)
  • Updated Missing History Extras patches for LH2 NTRs, NFE Integration and Decaying RTGs (courtesy of Eridan)

Note the new thread for Dynamic Battery Storage, it is now a more visible part of the mod suite so it gets its own bug reports. If you see problems with the new UI or the timewarp compensation, head there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nertea I'm not seeing the updated extras around missing history engines. I had my own customizations similar to Eridan's that I knew I might want to evaluate against the new ones so I compared fairly carefully. it seems like the described update was left out of all of the extras (at least on github, which I generally assume is authoritative). It also appears the last commit to those files was months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, whitespacekilla said:

@Nertea I'm not seeing the updated extras around missing history engines. I had my own customizations similar to Eridan's that I knew I might want to evaluate against the new ones so I compared fairly carefully. it seems like the described update was left out of all of the extras (at least on github, which I generally assume is authoritative). It also appears the last commit to those files was months ago.

Eh yeah I wrote it in the changelog but I guess I didn't get a PR yet from Eridan. Just ignore that line then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Eh yeah I wrote it in the changelog but I guess I didn't get a PR yet from Eridan. Just ignore that line then.

No harm done to me, I've got working configs. Design question, the largest missing history nuclear engine seems like it should have a fission generator, so I added one, but it was really hard for me to discern how you decided/balanced fission generators on engines. What were your basic criteria? How'd you decide how much power converts to how much energy and which engines wouldn't get one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I designed each engine with gameplay roles specifically in mind - some are purely engines, some are multipurpose, some have specific disadvantages. That way I was able to add the generator hardware into the actual part models. For choice...

  • Every size class should have access to a type of engine with a generator
  • High power engines should not have generators (gas cores)
  • Generator hardware adds mass, mass added should be ~ 1/4 the equivalent weight in RTGs
  • Generator output should be 'reasonable' for a part that size in stock 

If you're talking about the NFE full hog thing, I can talk more about that. 

 

Edited by Nertea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, KSPrynk said:

I've found a couple of Exception Errors that seem to be a combination of Missing History (v1.7.3), Kerbal Atomics (v1.0.2) and the associated KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport extra, and Real Plume-Stock (v1.3.1).  I think the MH LH2NTR patch in KA is the culprit.

I've posted a detailed explanation of why this happens in the GitHub issue.  Bottom line: the LH2NTR patch is trying to copy stuff from a config node that RealPlume has deleted.  There are a few ways to resolve it, but there isn't a single obvious "right" solution, so any modders and MM experts interested in this issue might want to weigh in.

Edited by Wyzard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 12:37 AM, Wyzard said:

I've posted a detailed explanation of why this happens in the GitHub issue.  Bottom line: the LH2NTR patch is trying to copy stuff from a config node that RealPlume has deleted.  There are a few ways to resolve it, but there isn't a single obvious "right" solution, so any modders and MM experts interested in this issue might want to weigh in.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation and the patch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerbal Atomics 1.0.4

  • Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.8.1
  • Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.0.3
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 1.1.0
  • Updated CryoTanks to 1.2.1
  • Actually fixed MissingHistory compatibility this time (thanks Wyzard)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, sorry to bother you about an undoubtably stupid question:

Where are the .cfg files for the tanks located? Because I am using Lf instead of LH2 and I want to change the really cool tanks to use Lf. But I can't find them in the Parts folder - that only contains the folder NuclearEngines.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GameData/CryoTanks folder in the distribution instead of GameData/KerbalAtomics/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, with this mod installed (and the hydrogenNTRsSQUAD patch) the LV-N "Nerv" behaves weird on my end. I do not get any estimates on burn time for set maneuver nodes anymore, and I need to shut down the reactor after using it because it overheats when the engine doesn't fire, even with 8 small thermal control systems.

 

Does any of this has known reasons, or can you give me a hint what could be causing this?

 

Thx in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

Hello, with this mod installed (and the hydrogenNTRsSQUAD patch) the LV-N "Nerv" behaves weird on my end. I do not get any estimates on burn time for set maneuver nodes anymore, and I need to shut down the reactor after using it because it overheats when the engine doesn't fire, even with 8 small thermal control systems.

 

Does any of this has known reasons, or can you give me a hint what could be causing this?

 

Thx in advance.

I guess you are using the NFE integration patch also. Fair warning that this is an advanced patch and may not be to your liking. You should consult the thermal systems panel in the VAB to discover how many radiators you will need to pack if you want to run the reactor without forcing propellant through it, it will be more than 400 kW for sure (8 small TCS). Alternately, set the reactor power to very low (1%) when not running the engine directly, if you can remove that amount of heat with radiators, you do not need to shut it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I guess you are using the NFE integration patch also. Fair warning that this is an advanced patch and may not be to your liking. You should consult the thermal systems panel in the VAB to discover how many radiators you will need to pack if you want to run the reactor without forcing propellant through it, it will be more than 400 kW for sure (8 small TCS). Alternately, set the reactor power to very low (1%) when not running the engine directly, if you can remove that amount of heat with radiators, you do not need to shut it down. 

Thank you for the quick response. I will try this.

Does this explain the missing burn estimates also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

Thank you for the quick response. I will try this.

Does this explain the missing burn estimates also?

I can't confirm that but maybe - if the estimator is keying off the 'off' state of the engine i could be reporting infinity or something. I feel like this used to happen in stock and the solution was to turn the engine on for  a second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.