[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

42 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Great report :). 

That fits straight with the standard "not enough Ec storage for 100000x time warp" modality of the bug. I'm quite sure that this particular anomaly is resolved in my latest builds with the analytic boiloff mode running at 1000x+. For my peace of mind, could you tell me the total power consumption of the cryo tanks and the total Ec storage of the ship?

New screenshot shows ship during a blackout with LqdHydrogen tanks displayed and total EC under resources.

http://imgur.com/a/quyTs

As visible in the ss total Hydrogen is 7435*2+11520 but only 1810 of that remain in the tank closest to the engine. Plugin reports 0.14ec/sec consumption to prevent remaining fuel boiloff.

Total ship EC capacity is 4820. During a blackout total EC consumption is 1.58/sec. This leaves the ship at ~2500 EC remaining when it sees Kerbol again. Blackout lasts around 26 minutes in this orbit.

Edited by Vrana

5 hours ago, HoveringKiller said:

The only thing that I don't like about this mod is that it makes SSTO's more difficult because now I can't just use the NERV and LF. Amazing mod! Keep up the good work!

I disagree! I make SSTOs powered with nothing but these NFPropulsion engines. Vertical SSTOs are a bit easier. I just wish they came in bigger (3.75), and flat, geometries.

I'm eagerly awaiting this for 1.2

Edit: also, isn't there an LF option for these engines?

Edited by AmpCat

Update 0.3.0 is available on Spacedock and Dropbox. Curse will follow eventually. Please do not ask me about CKAN.

• Updated bundled MM
  • Updated bundled CRP
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch
  • Updated bundled DeployableEngines
  • Reexported all engine FX to fix interaction with atmospheric/highlight FX
  • Removed Radioactivity patch (should really be *in* Radioactivity)
  • Added LV-N-GX 'Emancipator' open cycle gas-core nuclear rocket
  • CryoTanks:
    • General functionality improvements
    •  Tank real power usage is now shown in the info box
    •  Right clicking on a tank in the VAB now displays its power usage
    •  New analytics mode that runs at 1000x time warp and up which should do a much better job of calculating boiloff
    •  Lifting and ZBO tanks now have the same mass ratio
    •  ZBO tanks have a new alternate model that can be selected

29 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Update 0.3.0 is available on Spacedock and Dropbox. Curse will follow eventually. Please do not ask me about CKAN.

• Updated bundled MM
  • Updated bundled CRP
  • Updated bundled B9PartSwitch
  • Updated bundled DeployableEngines
  • Reexported all engine FX to fix interaction with atmospheric/highlight FX
  • Removed Radioactivity patch (should really be *in* Radioactivity)
  • Added LV-N-GX 'Emancipator' open cycle gas-core nuclear rocket
  • CryoTanks:
    • General functionality improvements
    •  Tank real power usage is now shown in the info box
    •  Right clicking on a tank in the VAB now displays its power usage
    •  New analytics mode that runs at 1000x time warp and up which should do a much better job of calculating boiloff
    •  Lifting and ZBO tanks now have the same mass ratio
    •  ZBO tanks have a new alternate model that can be selected

Thank you for the update(s) and all your hard work!

The whole idea is that these engines don't require oxidizer to operate. Rather than getting energy from the chemical combustion, it comes from the heat of the nuclear reactor. The LF or LH is mostly just a gaseous mass to spit out the nozzle at high speed. 

2 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

The whole idea is that these engines don't require oxidizer to operate. Rather than getting energy from the chemical combustion, it comes from the heat of the nuclear reactor. The LF or LH is mostly just a gaseous mass to spit out the nozzle at high speed. 

Ohhh ok, i am a bit out of the loop, haven't touched KSP since 0.90 :D thx, will try and make my own patch then

Edited by dtoxic

21 minutes ago, Mechtech said:

that hotfix would not, perchance, relate to how the Cryotanks break every other fuel tank in the game when installed, would it?

having all my LFO tanks suddenly stop having fuel in them makes rocketry a tad difficult.

I'm certainly not aware of any such problem.

ah. well, while I AM heavily modded, both Cryorockets and this mod's cryo tanks are replacing all LFO tank fuels with just the cryotank settings. I haven't tried them both at once (actually, I should do that at some point for testing reasons) but simply removing the Cryotanks folder solves the problem so clearly something in its configs is buggered.

The new "White" texture for the LH2 tanks is the biggest eyecandy and gives KSP a serious touch, my Kerbals just love it!
They`ve put a tank on the lawn just to watch it being there.:D
"Emancipator" - engine... What the hell:cool:? I guess your wife had some serious conversation with you about your modding timeout from RL...

@Nertea
I have two question about the "Emancipator"- engine, it looks like it is a single-use machine, or is it somehow possible to restock the core with uranium in flight?
I tried to "transfer fuel" from a uranium drum from NFE, and it looks like my engineer on board the vessel refuses to work...:wink: It sais, "Target doesn`t have radioactive capacity" or something alike... well.
Aaaand does the use in atmosphere nibble on my reputation?

@Nertea

Played with this just a little bit, had two questions:

• First, I noticed the sort by manufacturer option wasn't showing any NFT manufacturer part categories. I had this issue once before with 1.1.3, and I changed something that magically fixed it. I've not had a chance to try removing other mods or clean install yet. Any ideas on what might cause this that I can try first? Edit:  Tried a clean install with nothing but NFT mods. No NFT manufacturers listed.
  • Second, well, same question as Mikki. I've been able to refuel a reactor before, but will I have to manually refuel this one from other tanks as well? I've not played with it enough to see how easily this one refuels, other than to see it's certainly not automatic.
Edited by AmpCat
Checked

7 hours ago, Mikki said:

@Nertea
I have two question about the "Emancipator"- engine, it looks like it is a single-use machine, or is it somehow possible to restock the core with uranium in flight?
I tried to "transfer fuel" from a uranium drum from NFE, and it looks like my engineer on board the vessel refuses to work...:wink: It sais, "Target doesn`t have radioactive capacity" or something alike... well.
Aaaand does the use in atmosphere nibble on my reputation?

Is that the new open cycle nuclear engine? That one is single use, no refueling.

Also LOL at that name :D

NFT reactors can be refueled with an appropriate level engineer. I can't remember if they have to EVA to do the transfer or not, but I've done it before. I imagine this engine works the same way.

Try it on the ground to practice. Make a simple ship or truck with these, start out by emptying the fuel of the engine in the SPH or VAB, then attaching it to a fuel drum. Get a Kerbal out (level 4 engineer?) and try transferring. and right clicking stuff.

4 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

NFT reactors can be refueled with an appropriate level engineer. I can't remember if they have to EVA to do the transfer or not, but I've done it before. I imagine this engine works the same way.

Nope, he is talking about the new engine. Nertea said a page ago you can't refuel that one because of it's design:

One way the engine isn't completely broken :wink:

EDIT: Actually, I'm blind:

With NFE, you will be able to refuel the core.

Edited by Temeter

Okay, decided to try this out. I'm getting an error when I try to refuel the engine. I right click on the fuel tank, hit 'Transfer Fuel', then left click the engine, and it says 'Selected part can't handle radioactive storage, exiting transfer mode'. I tried this with a normal reactor attached, no issues.

@Nertea This a bug, or working as intended?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.