[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

Oh, and just to add, some great engine models in this mod.  I've been using FTMN rockets mod since it came out (even cobbling the cfgs to keep it working in later versions of KSP) and have kept my eye out for new good looking nuclear engines. These fit the bill nicely and will be handy since my cobbled FTMN's never quite worked with the d/v readouts in mechjeb.

1 hour ago, sojourner said:

Oh, and just to add, some great engine models in this mod.  I've been using FTMN rockets mod since it came out (even cobbling the cfgs to keep it working in later versions of KSP) and have kept my eye out for new good looking nuclear engines. These fit the bill nicely and will be handy since my cobbled FTMN's never quite worked with the d/v readouts in mechjeb.

I was using Komitz' awesome ftmn engines for a very long time (never got issues with readouts tho), too. To me, Kerbal Atomics is a very nice replacement, and my experiences in Real Solar System + Realism Overhaul also made me value how Nertea balanced the OP'ness of the engines a bit with some new elements, like the boiloff. I mean, stuff like the liberator is OP anyway, but at that point you'd otherwise just use a transfer rocket 2 times the size anyway, so it's much more comfortable.

Btw, if you don't use them, I'd also recomment trying the cryo engines mod, expands stock just as atomics does.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

I was using Komitz' awesome ftmn engines for a very long time (never got issues with readouts tho)

Really? I had at one point to edit the cfg's to change the engine fx modules to get them to work when KSP went through a revision. That was about the same time that I started having trouble with the d/v readouts. They'd be incorrect in the VAB but correct on the pad.  I think it was when the atmosphere handling was changed in KSP.  I also have 2 versions of FTMN installed one with an earlier set of models and stats and one with the later models and stats, just for the variety.

4 minutes ago, sojourner said:

Really? I had at one point to edit the cfg's to change the engine fx modules to get them to work when KSP went through a revision. That was about the same time that I started having trouble with the d/v readouts. They'd be incorrect in the VAB but correct on the pad.  I think it was when the atmosphere handling was changed in KSP.  I also have 2 versions of FTMN installed one with an earlier set of models and stats and one with the later models and stats, just for the variety.

Strange, I also used version long past their expiration date, and they worked for a long time because they used no advanced dependencies. Idk, stopped using them quite a while go tho.

12 hours ago, Wolves_Hero said:

Bug? radiator thruster went pop up 'cannot deploy while stowed' for no reason, still 0kN thruster on radiator.

Wrong thread, that's the Atomic Age mod. Stowed bug is a stock issue irc. Try quicksave/reload, helps sometimes.

7 hours ago, Temeter said:

Wrong thread, that's the Atomic Age mod. Stowed bug is a stock issue irc. Try quicksave/reload, helps sometimes.

Oh confused atomic thrust stock same from Atomic age mod, I didn't installed Atomic Age, I thought this mod.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, HoveringKiller said:

Does this by any chance change the stock engine to use LH2? I know in NFP it was said you could, and since this is now seperate was wondering if the same was true.

It does. Uses a different system, tho. NFP doesn't use liquid hydrogen and has generic tanks, while Atomics (like CryoEngine) apply  B9 part switcher so you can switch up all generic tanks. All dedicated LH2 tanks are specialized, cooled tanks that can store LH2 for electricity.

22 hours ago, Temeter said:

It does. Uses a different system, tho. NFP doesn't use liquid hydrogen and has generic tanks, while Atomics (like CryoEngine) apply  B9 part switcher so you can switch up all generic tanks. All dedicated LH2 tanks are specialized, cooled tanks that can store LH2 for electricity.

Sweet. Can you manufacture LH2 from ore or some other resource using the converters?

4 minutes ago, HoveringKiller said:

Sweet. Can you manufacture LH2 from ore or some other resource using the converters?

Yep! Includes MM patches allowing you to convert ore into LH2/LH2+Oxygen, just like NFP does with Lithium.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can check? Since the update to 1.1.2 suddenly the none of the patches that change atomic engines to using lqdhydrogen are working. The only engines which do are the ones contained in this mod. I installed the newest verision of b9 straight from github, no change. Thanks.

On 5/7/2016 at 6:22 PM, skald said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can check? Since the update to 1.1.2 suddenly the none of the patches that change atomic engines to using lqdhydrogen are working. The only engines which do are the ones contained in this mod. I installed the newest verision of b9 straight from github, no change. Thanks.

Confirm your modulemanager is up to date? Thats what will control those patches.

I made some ModuleManager configs which convert NERVAs to use LqdHydrogen for some engines not already covered by the patches distributed by the mod.

I will just leave them here in case others have a use for them.

C-RP5 "Eva" Nuclear-Thermal Rocket Motor (Tantares)

Spoiler

// MM Configs for changing various NTRs to use LqdHydrogen

// C-RP5 "Eva" Nuclear-Thermal Rocket Motor (Tantares)
@PART[Castor_Nerva]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]   
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

Extendable Nuclear Engine (Ark - Orbital Tug)

Spoiler

// Extendable Nuclear Engine (Ark)
@PART[engineOnArm]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

CA-N Nuclear HT Engine (Coatl Aerospace)

Spoiler

// CA-N Nuclear HT Engine (Coatl)
@PART[nuclearHTEngine]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]   
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

Not saying these are balanced in any way (if anybody did a balance pass on these id love it if you can share it). Its just a fuel type change.

Also i found a typo in the existing MM patch for STX engines - hydrogenNTRsSXT.cfg.

For the "Fat Mun" engine the patch reads:

// LV-N450 Atomic Fat Mun (Lack - SXT) SXTNERVB
@PART[SXTNERVB]

And it should be:

// LV-N450 Atomic Fat Mun (Lack - SXT) SXTNERVAB
@PART[SXTNERVAB]

First off, I love your part packs. They make this game way more fun to play.

Secondly, would you mind making it possible to disable the stock LV-N running on liquid hydrogen for those of us who already have LV-N powered ships when we install the pack? If I'd noticed that Kerbal Atomics existed before I launched it I of course would have used hydrogen, but unfortunately when I installed this mod I lost my skycrane and had to delete the one config to get it back. It wasn't too much trouble but I just thought I'd suggest it.

Thanks for all your work and keep it up!

I really enjoy this mod, and i have found one problem, the CTT patch has the incorrect tech name for the liberator engine.  The patch has 'expNuclearPropulsion' when the others have 'advNuclearpropulsion'.  I changed it in my game and the liberator shows up in science/career games.

I had an idea on how to incorporate hydrogen ntrs into an existing save without breaking craft already using LF.  I made a MM patch that changes the Nerva to a dual mode engine, with one mode LF and the other Hydrogen, has proper functionality, but needs tweaking. i'll post the code later if anyone would like to help.

After reading the last post, it seems this could be helpful to some people.

On 5/13/2016 at 1:56 AM, Vrana said:

I made some ModuleManager configs which convert NERVAs to use LqdHydrogen for some engines not already covered by the patches distributed by the mod.

I will just leave them here in case others have a use for them.

C-RP5 "Eva" Nuclear-Thermal Rocket Motor (Tantares)

Reveal hidden contents

// C-RP5 "Eva" Nuclear-Thermal Rocket Motor (Tantares)
@PART[Castor_Nerva]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]   
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

Extendable Nuclear Engine (Ark - Orbital Tug)

Reveal hidden contents

// Extendable Nuclear Engine (Ark)
@PART[engineOnArm]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

CA-N Nuclear HT Engine (Coatl Aerospace)

Reveal hidden contents

// CA-N Nuclear HT Engine (Coatl)
@PART[nuclearHTEngine]
{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]   
    {
        @PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
        {
            @name = LqdHydrogen
            @ratio = 1.0  
        }
    !PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}
}

Not saying these are balanced in any way (if anybody did a balance pass on these id love it if you can share it). Its just a fuel type change.

Also i found a typo in the existing MM patch for STX engines - hydrogenNTRsSXT.cfg.

For the "Fat Mun" engine the patch reads:

// LV-N450 Atomic Fat Mun (Lack - SXT) SXTNERVB
@PART[SXTNERVB]

And it should be:

// LV-N450 Atomic Fat Mun (Lack - SXT) SXTNERVAB
@PART[SXTNERVAB]

Great, I've added this for the next version for when I finish debugging it.

On 5/14/2016 at 6:19 PM, ruiluth said:

First off, I love your part packs. They make this game way more fun to play.

Secondly, would you mind making it possible to disable the stock LV-N running on liquid hydrogen for those of us who already have LV-N powered ships when we install the pack? If I'd noticed that Kerbal Atomics existed before I launched it I of course would have used hydrogen, but unfortunately when I installed this mod I lost my skycrane and had to delete the one config to get it back. It wasn't too much trouble but I just thought I'd suggest it.

Thanks for all your work and keep it up!

Look in the extras folder, you'll find an NTRsUseLF folder. Drop that in GameData, voila, all the NTRs will be reverted to LF use.

The goal my project is to allow an existing space program to transition from using LF nukes to using Hydrogen NTRs.  The benefit is that existing craft will still function, while allowing the launch of new NTR based craft which means both may be used together. A simpler approach would be to simply duplicate each part.

I decided to make the engine a dual mode engine meaning that it could be switched between fuel types like the rapier, this can be switched in flight preventing existing craft from using the wrong fuel.  The configs for the hydrogen versions also change the mass, so i wrote up a tank switcher to account for that.  Unfortunately it is not tied to the engine mode so it requires the player match it to the mode used.  It can only be switched in the editor.

Here is the code i've got so far:

// LV-N (stock)
+PART[nuclearEngine] 
{
	@name = nuclearEngineDM

EFFECTS
	{
		engage
	  {
		AUDIO
		{
		  channel = Ship
		  clip = sound_vent_medium
		  volume = 1.0
		  pitch = 2.0
		  loop = false
		}
	  }
		flameout
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				transformName = thrustTransform
				oneShot = true
			}
			AUDIO
		{
		  channel = Ship
		  clip = sound_explosion_low
		  volume = 1.0
		  pitch = 2.0
		  loop = false
		}
		}
		fx-sc-lh2-core
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				  channel = Ship
				  clip = sound_rocket_hard
				  volume = 0.0 0.0
				  volume = 1.0 1.0
				  pitch = 0.0 0.2
				  pitch = 1.0 1.0
				  loop = true
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = KerbalAtomics/FX/fx-sc-lh2-125-core
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
		}
		fx-sc-lh2-plume
		{
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName =KerbalAtomics/FX/fx-sc-lh2-125-plume
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = MultiModeEngine
		primaryEngineID = Regular
		secondaryEngineID = Hydrogen
	}
	MODULE
	{	
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		engineID = Hydrogen
		runningEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-core
		powerEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-plume
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = True
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 0
		maxThrust = 60
		heatProduction = 250
		fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.6
		EngineType = Nuclear
		exhaustDamageDistanceOffset = 1.86
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = LqdHydrogen 
			ratio = 1.0  
		}

!atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 900
			key = 1 400
			key = 2 50
			key = 10 1
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines]   {
		@name = ModuleEnginesFX
		runningEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-core
		powerEffectName = fx-sc-lh2-plume
		engineID = Regular
	}
}
@PART[nuclearEngineDM]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel;Hydrogen
		resourceGui = Liquid Fuel;Hydrogen
		resourceAmounts = 0;0
		basePartMass = 3
		tankMass = 0;-0.5
		displayCurrentTankCost = false
		hasGUI = true
		availableInFlight = false
		availableInEditor = true
		showInfo = false
	}
}

For testing I have it create a duplicate so I can see if everything is normal on the LF side of the engine.  The fuel switcher is IFS, I may create a b9 version eventually.  It does make it have two modes, using the same FX, and with the correct values for mass.  It works, but its not exactly pretty.  Looking at the LANTRN engine from Atomic Age, I want to ask, is it possible for an engine to have more than two modes?

Update!

• KSP 1.1.2
  • Update bundled B9PartSwitch
  • Update bundled MM version
  • Update bundled CRP version 
  • Fix switchable tank mass and cost issues
  • Fixed SXT hydrogen NTR patch typo
  • Added a few more NTR configs courtesy of forumgoers

We may of course have some remaining bugs but I think things are good. Thank @Kerbas_ad_astra for getting me on the path to fixifying the switchy patch. 

Woot!

Hey, Does it bug anyone that because of the way KSP fudges ISP/TWR that nuclear engines don't actually produced the claimed TWR in an atmosphere?  Makes designing landers using nuke engines difficult to test on Kerbin.

Edited by sojourner

2 hours ago, sojourner said:

Woot!

Hey, Does it bug anyone that because of the way KSP fudges ISP/TWR that nuclear engines don't actually produced the claimed TWR in an atmosphere?  Makes designing landers using nuke engines difficult to test on Kerbin.

Kerbal Construction Time has a simulator function

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

Kerbal Construction Time has a simulator function

Or quicksave on the launchpad, use HyperEdit to move your craft to the body/orbit of your choice, test, then revert and recover once you have your test results.

It's a bit iffy testing nukes on Kerbin anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.