[1.12.x] Kerbal Atomics: fancy nuclear engines! (January 22, 2022)

Nertea

Time for a barrage of screenshots!

1. Finished the last new part: the Scylla solid-core nuclear aerospike, a 3.75m part with six integral reactors and trimodal capabilties. Can use LOX afterburner mode for early launch, then pull pack to pure LH2 for circularization when TWR is less important. It has an alternate 5m mounting version.

AJE8uGP.png

BZ39YJR.png

It has some pretty sweet FX, if I dare say so. LOX afterburner and LH2 versions:

l6wqZ5Y.png

wM8DTGI.png

2. The emissives and FX for the gas-core reactor are done too. I am super pleased at how they turned out

XRS3KiQ.pngqfrsl8a.pnggLViL5R.png

3. The emissives for the small engine too! I'm also very happy with this one.

WTN6eYg.png

Edited by Nertea

On 9/6/2017 at 2:14 PM, Daeridanii said:

It's ... it's so beautiful!

And useful. By launching it with LFO drop tanks or in an asparagus configuration, we can use the central stack as an interplanetary transfer stage

I'm willing to bet there are bugs in this one due to the sheer amount of new content.

Kerbal Atomics 0.4.0

• KSP 1.3
  • Updated MM to 2.8.0
  • Updated B9PartSwitch to 1.8.0
  • Updated CRP to 0.7.1
  • Updated MiniAVC to 1.0.3.3
  • Rebuilt DeployableEngines for KSP 1.3 
  • Switched to KSP 1.3's localization for strings
  • Added NV-10 'Eel' Atomic Rocket Motor: 0.625m solid-core nuclear engine with cogeneration
  • Added NV-GL 'Deliverance' Atomic Aerospike Rocket: 2.5m closed-cycle gas-core nuclear aerospike
  • Added NV-DC 'Scylla' Atomic Aerospike Rocket: 3.75m solid-core trimodal nuclear aerospike with LOX afterburner and cogeneration
  • Rebalanced engine costs to be generally higher
  • Rebalanced engine heat to be generally higher
  • Renamed engine model numbers so they're not matching the LV-N anymore (different company)
  • Adjusted CTT locations of some engines
  • Adjusted balance of LH2->LF patches for some KA engines
  • Fixed engine throttle and glow effects so that they show for all modes of bimodal engines
  • Fixed engine FX somewhat so that they don't interact with atmospheric FX
  • Completely changed NTR -> LH2 patches
    • Any NTR that is not handled in a custom fashion has been replaced by a dynamic patcher by TheToric
    • All NTRs patched in this way are consistently buffed with a 25% mass decrease and a 10% Isp increase
    •  The LF-reversion patch is similarly optimized
  •  Significant improvements to CryoTanks package
    •  Now versioned (Version 0.4.0)
    •  Normalized LH2 tank mass ratios to 5 (from ~3.5), this affects all tanks containing LH2 or LH2/OX
    •  Normalized naming scheme for ZBO tanks to reflect their capacities
    •  Reworked tank capacities
    •  Improved fuel switching patch to account for more exceptions
    •  New 5m tank models (15m and 7.5m lengths)
    •  Deprecated 3.75m length tank variant for 3.75m inline tanks (temporary)
    •  Reworked models and textures for all fuel tanks
    •  New structureless variants for all inline tanks
    •  Optimized SimpleBoiloff plugin
    •  Cooling functions can now be disabled in the VAB
    •  Reduced the scope of the SimpleBoiloff plugin, most advanced functions are now part of DynamicBatteryStorage
    •  New sub-plugin: DynamicBatteryStorage
      •  Dynamically adjusts EC storage to combat KSP crap resource mechanics at high timewarp
      •  Should dramatically reduce instances of EC loss at high timewarp
  • Significant improvements to NF Electrical integration
    • Part costs are correctly adjusted for EnrichedUranium cost so that there are no more zero-cost engines
    • Negative alternators are and generators are correctly removed from the parts when patches are in use
    •  Engine reactor can now correctly start before being staged
    •  Reduced heat transfer between cores and parts
    •  Greatly reduced heat generation of conventional engine modules
    •  Cleaned up and labeled config files for more clarity

4 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

Where can I find that white spherical tank? I looked the the gallery and can't seem to see a part similar to it.

When you're in the VAB or SPH, choose any of the tanks included, and right click on the tank, on the top of the UI for it, you can change the texture :)

Edited by Spaceception

49 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

I've noticed a small oversight, which is that the new 0.625m engine has the same thrust (and other engine stats) as the 1.25m trimodal one, 67 kN I think. Not that it isn't fabulously useful! :D

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I want it to stay that way if it is a mistake. 

The 5m Cryotanks volumes seem to be off, comparing the CFG files of the 5m long, med to that of the 3.75m long, (mass, amount of LqdHydrogen, cost) are exactly the same. 

hope this helps, awesome mod, thanks for all your work.

2 hours ago, ruiluth said:

I've noticed a small oversight, which is that the new 0.625m engine has the same thrust (and other engine stats) as the 1.25m trimodal one, 67 kN I think. Not that it isn't fabulously useful! :D

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I want it to stay that way if it is a mistake. 

Unfortunately, the mass of the Neptune got transcribed as well.  The stats make the Eel an unrealistically tiny (but not light), more expensive, and slightly more powerful, co-generation capable LV-N.  I was really looking forward to the lightweight NTR for smaller, unmanned craft and NASA "Peewee/SNRE"-based NTR Mars/Duna missions and would still like to see an engine with the stats noted in the post on 18 April.  If there's a demand signal for a co-generation capable, non-trimodal LV-N (I'm actually all for it), I'd recommend a dedicated 1.25m engine part for that purpose.  I put in an Issue on GitHub earlier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.