[1.0.0-1.3.1] DeadSkins for AviationLights Re-Lit v1.4c (13 Oct 17)

Stone Blue

9 hours ago, snkiz said:

Oh those rock! A month ago I would have passed as not worth the performance hit. Now I have a ryzen, a rx580, and 16gb of ram. So yes, more of that please. :cool:

You've just made me realize that I'd totally do a rebuild of my computer rig just to improve my KSP experience... :wink:

@snkiz, this is back up on SpaceDock now, if yer interested...Just make sure you have the required mod dependencies installed...

DeadSkins for Aviationlights Re-Lit

And if theres anyone else who likes these, I'm still looking for feedback and input for an update on the mod, in this post:

Edited by Stone Blue

ty I'm sure I'll enjoy them

On 06/08/2017 at 2:59 AM, Beetlecat said:

You've just made me realize that I'd totally do a rebuild of my computer rig just to improve my KSP experience... :wink:

5 fps on my laptop, desktop was on DD2. and choked. I wasn't about to pay over 200 $ for an 8 gb pair clocked 800mhz. Yes KSP was the primary reason for the upgrade. My old rig was ok for every day tasks but getting long in the tooth.

Fair warning, next update, (coming in the next couple days), will be craft-breaking.... I'll probably package both the old (legacy) version and the new together, for at least this one, new version, to give people a chance to switch over...

So if you dont have this installed YET, I'd wait a couple days... :P

Sorry, but the new update will be better... :D

Edited by Stone Blue
mistated save-breaking; should be craft-breaking

6 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Save-breaking? Or just craft breaking? I'll be sure to remove any lights so far attached to things. :)

:P ... Thanx...Sorry, my bad... CRAFT-breaking ... lol
I dont ever play career, and all my save games are disposable, so i forget the distinction... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

• 4 weeks later...

So, still working on an update... Hit some stumbling blocks, due to things I want to implement are limited by things being hardcoded into the .dll, having issues figuring out some things using the mesh switchers and MM... :P

As it stands, i was hoping to be able to cut down the parts shown in the editor, from 7 to 3... There are 7 unique parts, based on color AND function. I was hoping to cut that down to 3, based solely on function, instead of color (ie beacon, nav, strobe)... However there is no way to switch colors in-game, since light color is assigned by a custom MODULE, rather than the stock light modules... Hence no "switchers" available for the rt-click menu...

So until an option for that becomes available, that means adding DeadSkins to your game, will add 7 more parts to the editor, ON TOP of the original 7 AvitionLights parts... (So you would now have 14 aviation light parts)... :P

And this leads me asking people who actually use these DeadSkins, do you also still use the originals?
I ask because I could delete the 7 originals, and replace them... ??? ... vOv

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

And this leads me asking people who actually use these DeadSkins, do you also still use the originals?

To me, the originals were meant to be replaced by the deadskin "versions" -- so I'd be totally cool with dropping the original parts.

10 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

So, still working on an update... Hit some stumbling blocks, due to things I want to implement are limited by things being hardcoded into the .dll, having issues figuring out some things using the mesh switchers and MM... :P

As it stands, i was hoping to be able to cut down the parts shown in the editor, from 7 to 3.... [snip]

I know about DeadSkins, but I've just not switched to them to keep things simple; I'll have to check them out soon.

You could coordinate with @MOARdV, who's maintaining the original Aviation Lights.

I think an improvement with better skins and reduced parts count would be welcomed by all, especially if they could be incorporated back into the original mod.  I've used Aviation Lights for years and I'll just fix or rebuild for any improvements.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

You could coordinate with @MOARdV, who's maintaining the original Aviation Lights.

Heh... I have been in contact with him for awhile now... Already have quite a few lengthy PMs of me bothering him with many questions and thoughts... :P

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

better skins and reduced parts count would be welcomed by all

Better skins?...I guess we'll see
Reduced parts count?... Unfortunately on hold till I can figure out something to handle in-game color switching
Welcomed by all?... Again, I guess we'll see... :wink:

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

Try taking a look at @Snark's IndicatorLights and @IgorZ's Surface Mounted Stock-Alike Lights to see if there's something that will work for Aviation Lights.

Good suggestion... :)
But I already have... :wink: Also looked at a few other light/color-changing related nodes from other mods and stock...
I can get certain aspects of those other modules to work, but in doing so, it negates other aspects of the native AL plugin...

I posted a seperate thread asking about dynamic module switching, and Shadowmage gave me a pretty concise answer...
Basically, in this situation, i just need to now try to learn some coding... Which may be a bit, since I'm still working my way up the curves for the modelling/texturing and MM patching aspects... :P

Just now, Stone Blue said:

Basically, in this situation, i just need to now try to learn some coding... Which may be a bit, since I'm still working my way up the curves for the modelling/texturing and MM patching aspects... :P

I'm in a similar position.  I know MM patching really well and am working on Contract Configurator scripting.  Haven't touched modelling/texturing yet.  I know a lot about coding, but I don't know C#'s IDE's and setting up and using one for Unity+KSP.  Kind of a steep learning curve from what I can see.

54 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Kind of a steep learning curve from what I can see.

Hehe...When you're 50, and you yourself can tell your brain capacity/learning abilities have diminished so much, compared to what you KNOW they USED to be, EVERYTHING seems to have an extra-steep learning curve... :P

But, good news, just had another breakthrough, and it looks like not only will Interstellar Fuel Switching be supported, but I think I ust figured out the last piece for B9 PartSwitching, thanx to @Nertea :P

Now I just have to figure out the last piece for Firespitter...(if there IS one... :P )... Then once I hear back from someone on best way to package things up, I'll have a "beta" release available for people to try...

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Hehe...When you're 50, and you yourself can tell your brain capacity/learning abilities have diminished so much, compared to what you KNOW they USED to be, EVERYTHING seems to have an extra-steep learning curve... :P

50 !?!  50 !?!  Young whippersnapper, I'd say! :D

Best of luck getting things done with Aviation Lights then.

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

But, good news, just had another breakthrough, and it looks like not only will Interstellar Fuel Switching be supported, but I think I ust figured out the last piece for B9 PartSwitching, thanx to @Nertea :P

Now I just have to figure out the last piece for Firespitter...(if there IS one... :P )... Then once I hear back from someone on best way to package things up, I'll have a "beta" release available for people to try...

Soup-erb!  Very encouraged to hear this :)

Ok... Got B9 and IFS switching working...(Still havent been able to figure out how Firespitter disables "un-used" meshes)..
You'll need to have EITHER B9, OR IFS installed as a dependency... (If BOTH are installed, switching defaults to B9)...

Look for a Github link as soon as I can figure out Github... :P
I wont be updating SpaceDock yet, as the mod is completely different, and basically a "beta"...

Edited by Stone Blue

Ok.. So Github is not an option... :P

Here's a link to the "revamped" mod. It contains a copy of @xEvilReeperx's Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks mod, which seems to work in 1.3.0, for the most part...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0D_PFGuuyqoajJJYkJudzVUVUE

If you dont want to keep the original AviationLights parts, just delete the /Aviationlights/Parts folder.. (leave the /Plugins folder, you still NEED that.. :wink: )

Again, this requires B9PartSwitch or Interstellar Fuel Switch to be installed.

Edited by Stone Blue

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.