[1.0.0-1.3.1] DeadSkins for AviationLights Re-Lit v1.4c (13 Oct 17)

Stone Blue

These are 5 new high-res (512x512) skins that are double the resolution of the stock AviationLights.

(New skins also include super handy, ultra-futuristic system for quickly finding the light you want from your undoubtedly massive collection of parts!)

These are skins only; if you don't have the AviationLights mod yet, what are you waiting for?

Get it now!

AviationLights

Pic showing the 5 different lenses, the newly titled part icons in the editor, and a couple different colors

DEPENDENCIES (required mods)

AviationLights

ModuleManager

Either Firespitter (need v6.3 or later), OR Interstellar Fuel Switch  You only need the "core" plugin for either one.  Everything else in them is not required.
(Both can be installed at the same time; Interstellar Fuel Switch will take precedence)

RECOMMENDED mod:

Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks   (This is what rotates the editor icons for easier visual identification between the parts)

INSTALLATION:

Just extract the ZIP and drag/drop, or copy/paste the GameData folder to your KSP install folder, click "Yes" to combine with existing /GameData folder.
(You should now have a DeadSkins folder inside your GameData folder.)

** MAKE SURE that you also have all the mod dependencies installed already, as they are NOT included with DeadSkins!!

Download:

SpaceDock

BONUS FEATURES:

I've included two custom .cfg files:

• One changes the part title that is displayed in the VAB/SPH, so all 7 of the lights are grouped together in the editor.
  • The other is for use with the Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks mod, to display a larger and properly rotated part icon in the editor.

(If you dont want to use the functionality these .cfgs offer, just delete them from the /AviationLights folder)

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

1.4c

(10/13/2017)

• Updated Interstellar Fuel Switch support

1.4b
(02/11/2016)

• Updated for KSP v1.0.0 thru v1.3.0 compatibility (with the appropriate versions of the dependencies)
  • Updated .cfgs with FStextureSwitch2
  • Converted textures to .DDS
  • Included both of Skalou's .cfgs:

• One to change the displayed part title, so the parts are listed all together in the editor;

• One for use with Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks mod, to resize & properly rotate the part icons in the editor.

LICENSE:

CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0

CREDITS:

•    DeadSkins for Aviation Lights Re-Lit is an update of @Deadweasell's original DeadSkins for Aviation Lights mod.
  •    Also, of course, a BIG Thank You to @BigNose for creating Aviation Lights in the first place!
  •    A HUGE Thank You to @MOARdV for maintaining AviationLights during BigNose's absence, and for putting up with and answering my MANY questions.
  •    A big shout-out to @Skalou, for writing the two patch files for changing the displayed title, and the Part Icon patch, and especially for giving me permission to modify & distribute them in this texture pack.
  •    Thanx to @xEvilReeperx for the Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks mod
  •    Thanx to @Snjo for Firespitter
  •    Thanx to @sarbian for ModuleManager :D

Edited by Stone Blue

Now that you can switch the texture, wouldn't it be technically possible to merge the different colored lights into just one and make the color switchable in the parts right click menu in the VAB/SPH? This would save precious space in the parts menu.

^^
I'm sure it could probably be done with a plugin... However, right now, that is beyond my abilities... Updating this "mod", is just a baby step for me... I know practically nothing about modding, especially coding... Also, both this mod, and Aviation Lights are NOT created by me, so there's also the consideration of reverse engineering someone else's work...

Right now, from what I can tell, and based on what little I know about plugins, Aviation Lights makes changes to light color, brightness, and timing (flash modes), with values in the part.cfg files... I imagine to do as you suggest and combine all the textures/colors into ONE part, would best be accomplished by a .dll and a GUI, with sliders... Again, beyond MY abilities, and would probably require rewriting someone else's mod, or at least major changes... I will probably play with this mod a little bit more, both to see whether it can be done without major work, and also as a learning tool for myself...

I admit, out of the 7 different parts, I only really use two of them... So I prune out the ones I never use...
I'm not even sure you can do that, while using DeadSkins... I have to test that yet...

Edited by Stone Blue

Hey, good stuff Stone Blue!  I created that pack to give a little something back to the community, so I'm more than happy to let it become a tradition.  I'm glad somebody was interested in my little project enough to want to keep it up to date with the current state of the game in general!

Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot. Can't get the texture switching to work.

I've double-checked the dependencies, and see the button in the right-click menu of the lights themselves, but it doesn't swap through the options. The .cfgs are kicking in, as the names and item rotations are happening, but no response to the firespitter swap option. Did the newer Firespitter.dll alter how this works?

Appreciate any help :)

Hmmm... I'll take a look at it right now...

17 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I've double-checked the dependencies, and see the button in the right-click menu of the lights themselves, but it doesn't swap through the options. The .cfgs are kicking in, as the names and item rotations are happening, but no response to the firespitter swap option. Did the newer Firespitter.dll alter how this works?

Yes... Sometime back, snjo updated the Firespitter texture switch module, and I incorporated the change into the new DeadSkins .cfg... Thats why you need to use v6.3 or newer Firespitter plugin with this... :)

EDIT:

OMG!... HUGE rookie mistake #2: Packaged the folder structure incorrectly... :P

If you dont want to re-download, just pull the DeadSkins folder out of the AviationLights folder, and drop it, by itself into the /GameData folder... :P

Sorry everybody... Now fixed... :)

I CANT believe tho, almost 400 downloads, and over TWO WEEKS, before someone posted the mod didnt work... :o

Thanx, @Beetlecat !!

Lesson learned: ALWAYS download and playtest published mod, with fresh install of KSP, just like a typical end-user, instead of only testing a pre-published version as a mod author...LOL

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

These aren't working for me in 1.1.1  I have all the required dependencies and the parts show up, I can even switch the skins, but when I launch the craft they revert to the default skin and they don't light.  It's a shame.  I love all these shins and I've been a fan of aviation lights since it's original release.  Any idea what could be going on?

@Unwavering Sorry... I only accidentally found out this afternoon that 1.1.1 was released yesterday... :(

I havent officially stated these work in 1.1 yet, as you NEED to have MOARdV's unofficial update of AviationLights v3.9 for 1.1... I'm waiting to see what happens "officially" for AviationLights from this point on...

IF you are using v3.9, then if I had to make a guess, with as little info as I have right now, I'd say its probably something with one of the dependencies. I'll try to figure this out by the end of the weekend.

Thanx for using these... I'm glad Deadweasel's work is still being appreciated with these...

OK... So DeadSkins work in 1.1.1....

You need:

• MOARdVs AviationLights update v3.9 for 1.1
  • Module Manager v2.6.22 for 1.1, or newer
  • Firespitter v7.2.1 for 1.1, or newer

EDIT:

These also work in 1.1.2 :)

You need:

• Module Manager v2.6.24 for 1.1.2, or newer
  • Firespitter v7.2.3 for 1.1.2, or newer
Edited by Stone Blue

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎30 at 2:55 PM, Stone Blue said:

OK... So DeadSkins work in 1.1.1....

You need:

• Module Manager v2.6.22 for 1.1, or newer
  • Firespitter v7.2.1 for 1.1, or newer

EDIT:

These also work in 1.1.2 :)

You need:

• Module Manager v2.6.24 for 1.1.2, or newer
  • Firespitter v7.2.3 for 1.1.2, or newer

Your post is unclear.  You simultaneously say that this mod both will, and will not, work in KSP v1.1.2.|

Is this mod currently under active development, or are we in the "community support" phase with people contributing fixes and workarounds?  Or both?

@MisterFister How is it unclear?

The only difference between the top half of that post, lists the dependency versions you have to have for these to work in 1.1.1...
Then the 2nd half (EDIT:), lists the dependency versions you need for them to work in 1.1.2...

The files in the actual DeadSkins .zip package itself, will actually work for ALL KSP versions from 1.0 to 1.0.5, as well as 1.1.0, 1.1.1, and 1.1.2...

You just have to make sure all the dependency versions match whatever KSP version you are installing to...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if anyone even still uses these...???

Thinking about a serious update, revamp & release, but if not much interest... idk.. vOv

Also, wondering on input from anyone who still might be using these, AS WELL AS ANYONE USING AVIATIONLIGHTS WITHOUT the DeadSkins mod...
There are 35 different, visual housing/lens variations... Does anyone use all of them? If not, which DO you use?... Also, theres the beacon, strobe, and nav lights... Only difference is really the timing on the flash intervals... Is anyone using all three, or some over the others?

Just wondering if its worth redoing and including all the different lenses, as well as the beacon and strobe...(obviously I would keep the nav lights :) )

Also considering cutting down on the amount of parts shown in the editor, by using mesh switching... I could make one, single part, where you switch thru all 35 different color/lens/function (beacon/strobe/nav) combinations in the rght-click menu in-editor (I'm thinking that would be too crazy)... Or I can make 3 parts, one each for beacon, strobe and nav, and you would switch thru the colors/lenses for each... Or, I could do it by color, or by lens graphic... ????.... vOv

Thanx for any input...

Edited by Stone Blue

Like many of these mod pack of lights, etc. Most of them can go unused until *one time* when that random weird part is perfect for a thing. :wink:

I'm just now rebuilding my KSP game in 1.3, and was about to put in aviation lights and the dead skins.

The only thing I could offer by way of discussion is to consider some of the features that Indicator Lights has implemented, where the interval, phase, etc. can be adjusted per-part--but I know that would be more a function of Aviation Lights, not the skins pack.

11 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

The only thing I could offer by way of discussion is to consider some of the features that Indicator Lights has implemented, where the interval, phase, etc. can be adjusted per-part--but I know that would be more a function of Aviation Lights, not the skins pack.

Heh... Yeah.. as a matter of fact I've been bugging the heck out of MOARdV about how AviationLights (the plugin) worx... We got into territory where he pretty much said the same thing..Basically if he tweaks it or adds any more functionality, he'd pretty much be just duplicating the Surface Mounted Lights... :P

At the very least I KNOW, if I do this, even with ALL 35 different "lights", I can still get the mod size down from ~8.75MB, to 500KB~1MB...
It would be 3 different .mu files and only 3 or 4 small texture files. I would be shrinking texture size from 512 to either 256 or 128... I could probably even go to 64... just dont zoom in too close to them...lol

I am also considering modelling some two-color marine (boat) navigation lights to go with this...Along with maybe a couple other interesting bits... :wink:

Edited by Stone Blue

17 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Just wondering if anyone even still uses these...???

I love lighting, my game is set so I pretty much can't see sh*t without it. I'm interested, but can't find it on space dock The picture (I assume) on the first post doesn't work. A github link would be nice, it would out last your interest should you decide to stop developing. So anyone *except linuxgurugamer could take up the torch, so to speak.

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Well, for the one person that still uses this, and the one ( @snkiz) that may be interested, I'll throw this back up on SpaceDock later this evening.... lol

Oh those rock! A month ago I would have passed as not worth the performance hit. Now I have a ryzen, a rx580, and 16gb of ram. So yes, more of that please. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.