Whiplash Vs. Panther

I'm sure this has been asked but I cannot seem to find a thread on it.

Which is better the J-X4 Whiplash or J-404 Panther (on wet/afterburn mode)? I am asking in regards to thrust first, efficiency second, and any other differences. By looking at the information I don't see any difference but I want to make sure.

I'm making an SR-71-esque plane

Well, the Whiplash would definitely propel the plane really REALLY fast, but it sucks up fuel faster than a '59 Caddie doing 120MPH (they had BIG V8 engines....around 7.7 litre displacement), but the Panther would give you the best of both worlds: High thrust in wet mode, decent performance and efficiency on dry mode. The only disadvantage about the Panther is that it tends to sneeze out at 13,000 metres in Dry mode, where the Whiplash will still run at 19,000 metres.

My 2¢: Try the Panther first, and tweak the living heck out of the aerodynamics to get the lowest drag model possible. At least with the Panther engines you can actually fly for a while.

Edited by GDJ

The Whiplash actually seems to do better for fast planes, especially when making replicas. The Panther does have better TWR in afterburning mode, but often the limit isn't on mass of engines but on their number.

Considering the Whiplash is based on the SR-71 engine, it's the obvious choice for you.

Thank you!

Yes for this behemoth I would have it on afterburner only.

I'm going with the Whiplash. 

Thank you!

Yes for this behemoth I would have it on afterburner only.

I'm going with the Whiplash but will try the Panther as well. 

Now how do I mark you, (Cantab) as the person who answered my question

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.