[1.3] WalkAbout v1.7.1 (17-07-2017)

Antipodes

3 hours ago, Antipodes said:

Yeah,  I know. But I haven't found a way to do that yet 

When you edit your OP you'll see two extra lines: Title and Tags. You can change everything there.

• 5 months later...

The thread is 'quiet', but not dead.

I will be updating WalkAbout as soon as time permits (hopefully, by tomorrow).

Update:
Unfortunately, even though WalkAbout seemed to be working in the 1.2 pre-release, it looks like something has changed for the final 1.2 release. Kerbals are appearing approximately 120-150 metres above the ground and plummeting to their deaths! That's right - deaths. They often hit so hard they awaken The Kraken and become spaghettified before disappearing in a cloud of greasy grey smoke.

I feel it would be irresponsible of me to deny our little green friends the chance to blow up in huge glorious orange clouds of burning rocket fuel by condemning them to a pitiful little >poof<. So I am withholding releasing an update to WalkAbout until I can resolve this.

Edited by Antipodes

Hey I was really excited to see you updated this but when trying to let jeb out of the astro complex and well.. Game crashed. I have some mods but as far as i can tell none of them have anything to do with it. I may be wrong. 

Idk how to upload the crash report. Help

Quick Update: Reloaded Game Jeb is in front of the building

Yet Another Updated: Bill volunteered after Jeb was recovered. Crashed when leaving R&D center building.

Edited by Mark Kerbin
Update

15 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Hey I was really excited to see you updated this but when trying to let jeb out of the astro complex and well.. Game crashed. I have some mods but as far as i can tell none of them have anything to do with it. I may be wrong. 

Idk how to upload the crash report. Help

Quick Update: Reloaded Game Jeb is in front of the building

Yet Another Updated: Bill volunteered after Jeb was recovered. Crashed when leaving R&D center building.

Oh my! That is not good. Well, I'm glad that you did not lose your game.

Which location is it that you used, and at what level of upgrade is the Astronaut Complex?

Does this happen every time you use WalkAbout, or only when you use a particular location?

I'm not sure how others send/receive logs and reports, but probably the easiest thing would be for you to attach the ksp.log file to an email addressed to [email protected].

But since you have a reproducible problem, could I ask you to do the following:

1. in the [ksp install folder]\GameData\WalkAbout folder, create a file called "debug.flg"
  2. run KSP and send a kerbal on walkabout
  3. find the [ksp install folder]\KSP.log and email it to me.
  4. delete the debug.flg file and continue playing.
Edited by Antipodes

Not to worry I got the game all backed up.

The crashing is not location specific (sandbox mode thus everything is max)

I can supply a video iff you want and I will  attempt to cause the issue again

Cant Seem to get the video to work but i did manage to break the game. go me

Cant seem to find that log you want.. would the crash report work?

Edited by Mark Kerbin

3 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

The crashing is not location specific (sandbox mode thus everything is max)

So is it happening every time you use WalkAbout, or occasionally?

I can supply a video iff you want and I will  attempt to cause the issue again

Unfortunately, I don't think the video will help much.

Cant seem to find that log you want.. would the crash report work?

Sure, send the crash report. But you should be able to find the ksp.log file. It will be in the same location as your ksp.exe file. If you have turned on the debugging (as I outlined earlier) then that log will have the information I need to help pinpoint where the error occurred.

Antipodes,

After many hours of trying to track the crash down to a specific mod or combination of mods the crash appears to happens when little ram is left for the system to access. Just when I thought I had a specific mod or combination of mods nailed down as the culprit a "only that mod" or "only those mods" build would not cause a crash. When the ram was within 2gigs of max the crash would happen.

Could it be a problem with reloading the KSC scene with low ram remaining/available?

ksp.log and crash files - https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw3zw9e9rnot8jn/Walkabout Crash.rar?dl=0

Did not include a debug.flg file as it was empty.

Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, Morashtak said:

Could it be a problem with reloading the KSC scene with low ram remaining/available?

@Morashtak, thanks for the log info.

Unfortunately, it looks like the crash resulting KSP not flushing the file buffer to disk, so the log does not contain the last moments before the crash. I might try to rectify that by adding a flush to the method I use to write debugging messages. However, that does not help you.

From the other logs you included, it does appear that you may be correct - it could be the reloading of the KSC scene when there is insufficient RAM. I will see if there is anything I can do about it, but at this point, it looks like WalkAbout is triggering the error, but is not the cause.

Give me some time to work on it and I will see if I can come up with something that might help.

8 hours ago, Yoshidude said:

This seems really helpful for those more ambitious "pedal-to-the-metal" rockets. :) Do you have any plans of adding the ability to spawn ships on these places (i.e helipad?)

Sorry @Yoshidude, but no. WalkAbout will be extended, but my vision for it is to handle things related to kerbals on EVA on world surfaces (restricted to Kerbin for now).

On 23.10.2016 at 4:50 AM, Yoshidude said:

This seems really helpful for those more ambitious "pedal-to-the-metal" rockets. :) Do you have any plans of adding the ability to spawn ships on these places (i.e helipad?)

The Mod VesselMover, now maintained by @Papa_Joe, can spawn crafts for you. It hasn't been updated for 1.2 yet, but it's in the queue...

so yes I am having this same issue spawn a Kerbal... CTD. 

every time, any door.

memory for KSP as reported by Program Manager:  12,869.1 MB

total system ram in use:  59%

so unless there is a memory limit other than total system RAM, then it is not due to "out of memory".  however, it is still very possible it is due to the amount of memory in use, rather than the amount of memory free.

Point of note...  the Kerbal did spawn.  after I restart the game, the Kerbal is right at the door.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

On 2016-10-28 at 8:20 AM, Bit Fiddler said:

so yes I am having this same issue spawn a Kerbal... CTD. 

every time, any door.

memory for KSP as reported by Program Manager:  12,869.1 MB

total system ram in use:  59%

so unless there is a memory limit other than total system RAM, then it is not due to "out of memory".  however, it is still very possible it is due to the amount of memory in use, rather than the amount of memory free.

Point of note...  the Kerbal did spawn.  after I restart the game, the Kerbal is right at the door.

@Bit Fiddler, @Morashtak, @Mark Kerbin

I haven't replied for a while, so I just wanted you to know that I am still working on this problem.

Version 1.6 is now available on SpaceDock.

This version introduces the ability to have your kerbals move around without having hold down W-A-S-D. I hope you all like it.

@Bit Fiddler, @Morashtak and @Mark Kerbin:
I have not been able to reproduce your problem, but from everything you have told me, it does seem to stem from WalkAbout reloading the Space Centre scene each time a kerbal is placed at a location. I have attempted to create a workaround for you by adding a new capability to the latest version of the mod:

• Edit the {game install folder}/GameData/WalkAbout/Settings.cfg file.
  • Add or modify the PostPlacementAction setting:
    • PostPlacementAction = noreload
      will stop the reloading of the Space Centre scene. This means that you won't see the bubble indicating the location newly placed kerbal until you leave the Space Centre scene and return to it (e.g. click on the Research and Development building and then exit).
    • PostPlacementAction = jumpto
      will cause the game to immediately load the EVA view of the newly placed kerbal.

I hope one or both of these settings will avoid the issue and will meet with your satisfaction until such time as I can find a more effective solution. Please let me know how it goes for you.

To reset the PostPlacementAction, either delete the line or set it to reload.

You know, the coolest part about the latest update? It comes right from the future! Antipodes is a time traveler I am telling you... He will compile the mod in 2027 but we are the lucky few who can use it right now! :wink:

Note: The sarcasm skill was used during the writing of this reply. It mainly refer to the release date on the original post being 31-10-27.

1 hour ago, Galenmacil said:

You know, the coolest part about the latest update? It comes right from the future! Antipodes is a time traveler I am telling you... He will compile the mod in 2027 but we are the lucky few who can use it right now! :wink:

Note: The sarcasm skill was used during the writing of this reply. It mainly refer to the release date on the original post being 31-10-27.

That's right: I am from the future, but I forgot about some the quaint ways you "historical" people have. In 2027 we compress dates by dropping the 0 and adding the last 2 digits together if it is clear what decade is being referred to - writing out full years is so "last decade". Don't worry @Galenmacil, you'll get to like it.

But at least I remembered to use that silly US format of month-day-year.

(now that I think about it, I remember reading that the year compression thing started from post on user forum... hmmm)

And don't ask me about what features KSP will have in 2027. I'm not allowed to tell you anything about human-computer biointerfacing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1.11.2016 at 6:54 AM, Antipodes said:

Version 1.6 is now available on SpaceDock.

This version introduces the ability to have your kerbals move around without having hold down W-A-S-D. I hope you all like it.

@Bit Fiddler, @Morashtak and @Mark Kerbin:
I have not been able to reproduce your problem, but from everything you have told me, it does seem to stem from WalkAbout reloading the Space Centre scene each time a kerbal is placed at a location. I have attempted to create a workaround for you by adding a new capability to the latest version of the mod:

• Edit the {game install folder}/GameData/WalkAbout/Settings.cfg file.
  • Add or modify the PostPlacementAction setting:
    • PostPlacementAction = noreload
      will stop the reloading of the Space Centre scene. This means that you won't see the bubble indicating the location newly placed kerbal until you leave the Space Centre scene and return to it (e.g. click on the Research and Development building and then exit).
    • PostPlacementAction = jumpto
      will cause the game to immediately load the EVA view of the newly placed kerbal.

I hope one or both of these settings will avoid the issue and will meet with your satisfaction until such time as I can find a more effective solution. Please let me know how it goes for you.

To reset the PostPlacementAction, either delete the line or set it to reload.

Hello Antipodes,

'jumpto' does not work for me sadly, ksp will crash just as it does with reload. 'noreload' does work however.

19 hours ago, hermano said:

'jumpto' does not work for me sadly, ksp will crash just as it does with reload. 'noreload' does work however.

Thanks for letting me know. Honestly, it was a c**pshoot - since I haven't been able to duplicate the issue, I just guessed at what might help resolve it. I'm glad one of them... sorta... kinda... works for you.

I'll keep thinking and looking into it. 

If anyone has any ideas...

10 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

I do not see this .cfg file in my directory.  I tried to reinstall form a fresh spacedock download but still no .cfg file.

Ah - I think I know what is up here.

The mod download does not include the .cfg file. The .cfg file is created with default settings the first time you activate the mod. That way, downloading an update will not overwrite any existing settings you may have. Just run KSP once, at the the Space Centre scene press ctl-W to bring up the mod, and then exit the mod and the game (note: you don't have to exit KSP - just the current game). The .cfg file should then be there for you.

Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.