[1.3] WalkAbout v1.7.1 (17-07-2017)

Antipodes

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, two things. First, thank you for this excellent mod! It makes my initial science collections so much easier, since it takes a bit to get to rover tech. Second, i thought i might suggest adding a section on the main post about the CTD caused by being too close to running out of RAM, just in case more people have this problem on large modded installs. Keep up the good work mysir!

• 4 months later...

I don't see a Github bug tracker or the like, so I thought I'd post a bug report here.

I'm on KSP 1.3.1, and WalkAbout 1.7.1.  While controlling a walking kerbal, this is spammed into the log, seemingly once per frame:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KspAccess.CommonKspAccess.IsKeyCombinationPressed (KspAccess.KeyCombination keys) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KspWalkAbout.WalkAboutEva.AlterMotionAsPerUserKeystrokes (KspWalkAbout.Entities.MotionSettings motion, KspAccess.KeyCombination perpetualMotionKeys) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KspWalkAbout.WalkAboutEva.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)    

In addition, the Perpetual Motion key seems to do nothing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

is there a plan to upgrade this to 1.4.x?

I have compiled and run the code under 1.4.1 and there is good news and bad news:

Good news: no more aborts or log spamming!

Bad news: no nothing. The mod does not do anything anymore. The GUI appears, but when you press the button to put a kerbal at a location, nothing happens.

I have traced the code and everything seems to be setting itself up internally just fine - KSP just ignores the changes the changes I have made to the game state.

Unfortunately, I do not foresee having the time to delve deep into the new KSP code to find out how to add objects to the game (I barely figured it out previously). If anyone would like to take a crack at it, I would be really grateful. I am not talking about having to take over the mod, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for how to get a kerbal's ProtoVessel added to the current game (or whatever the new equivalent may be), that would go a long way to getting me going again.

I don't want to abandon Walkabout - I had plans for it (getting kerbals to walk/run towards targets automatically with obstacle avoidance, cruise control for rovers, etc). But I just don't have the time to comb through all the documentation and figure this out all over again.

Edited by Antipodes

1 hour ago, Antipodes said:

I have compiled and run the code under 1.4.1 and there is good news and bad news:

Good news: no more aborts or log spamming!

Bad news: no nothing. The mod does not do anything anymore. The GUI appears, but when you press the button to put a kerbal at a location, nothing happens.

I have traced the code and everything seems to be setting itself up internally just fine - KSP just ignores the changes the changes I have made to the game state.

Unfortunately, I do not foresee having the time to delve deep into the new KSP code to find out how to add objects to the game (I barely figured it out previously). If anyone would like to take a crack at it, I would be really grateful. I am not talking about having to take over the mod, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for how to get a kerbal's ProtoVessel added to the current game (or whatever the new equivalent may be), that would go a long way to getting me going again.

I don't want to abandon Walkabout - I had plans for it (getting kerbals to walk/run towards targets automatically with obstacle avoidance, cruise control for rovers, etc). But I just don't have the time to comb through all the documentation and figure this out all over again.

wow, did the change of unity version change that much? that sucks man... I wish you all the luck in finding the fix, and i wish the community luck in assisting you as im sure they will. 

Thanks for the reply as well! glad to know the state of the mod, its a mainstay for me when i play with KCT

On 4/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, ThePhoenixSol said:

wow, did the change of unity version change that much? that sucks man... I wish you all the luck in finding the fix, and i wish the community luck in assisting you as im sure they will. 

Thanks for the reply as well! glad to know the state of the mod, its a mainstay for me when i play with KCT

I literally came here to find out the status of this mod, having remembered it during a session where I tried out KCT for the first time. Creating and parking vehicles for re-use, then spawning kerbals for missions/contracts is really where it's at! :D 

Hope this can get re-looked at someday!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, xnowfall said:

I figured I'd take a look at making this work again, but a recompile for 1.5.1 apparently just works as is if you still want to update this. I did want to replace the hotkeys with a toolbar button so I have that code if you want.

Would it work on 1.4.5? got any download?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am thrilled that there is interest in reviving this mod. 

I am in the middle of changing residences and in putting on a theatre production, but once things settle down and I don't have to rely on my workplace WiFi for internet connectivity, I will be eagerly looking at what progress has been made. 

Thanks for the efforts, fellow Kerbalers 

Edited by Antipodes

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, Galenmacil said:

It works in 1.7.0 but Kerbal Inventory System support is broken: You can assign inventory part to a Kerbal but once you take control of it, inventory is empty...

It probably needs to be recompiled for 1.7, I believe that the KIS API changed.

@Antipodes are you still around, and are you going to continue with this?

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 7:27 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

It probably needs to be recompiled for 1.7, I believe that the KIS API changed.

@Antipodes are you still around, and are you going to continue with this?

Hello, and yes, I am still around.

First, a huge, gigantic, pythonic thank you to @xnowfall for bringing this mod back to life. I have been looking over the changes you made and they have given me a few ideas.

Second, I am working on the mod. While the placing of kerbals now works, and @xnowfall got the automated walking to work via clicking on the walkabout icon (the hot-keys don't seem to function), the list of 'nope - it's broke' is quite long. Just to give you a taste, here are a few of the issues I need to address:

• Walking/Running - I need to see why the keys are not working. If I can't find a fix for that, then I will look at either a run/walk menu or a way to distinguish between clicks on the icon to get the kerbal to switch.
  • Inventory - major problems here. KSP has introduced a new inventory system which is completely unlike the KIS system. I have been struggling to find a way to integrate with it. At the same time, @IgorZ is trying to make KIS compatible with and/or congruent with the new system. He indicated that he is working on a rewrite of KIS. Walkabout's inventory capabilities may have to be put on hold until then.
  • GUI - the resizing button no longer works. I need to look into using the newer UI system to generate menus, but if I can find a quick fix for the resizer, then I will publish with that.
  • Icons - I have new icons for the toolbar, but they are not consistently working.
  • AddUtility - truth is, I haven't even looked at this yet. I have no idea if it is working or not.

I still don't have a great deal of time available to me to investigate these. Work, wife and theatre take up a good portion of my time days. But I will still keep plugging away at it.

And thanks again, to all, for liking and using my little side-project.

Edited by Antipodes

• 9 months later...