[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

2 hours ago, Mecripp said:

What ever smokescreen plugin and MM you you might have to rewrite the patches if you go back to far

Okay, I put it on and it seems to be working thus far. Hopefully it doesn't corrupt my career save lmao.

35 minutes ago, Rel52 said:

Okay, I put it on and it seems to be working thus far. Hopefully it doesn't corrupt my career save lmao.

There just patches its not a plugin the plugin is smokescreen and MM which pretty sure you can get for old plugins and hotrockets was before RP and that's all RP is and that was like KSP 90 or .25 ?

Edited by Mecripp

Not sure if this is an issue for RealPlume or not...

I'm getting some log spam regarding a number of engines with float curve errors. I've seen there were a view issues with float curves in the past on Github, but they all seemed resolved now. 

Example error I'm seeing is:  [ERR 22:19:06.623] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

Looking around the cfgs, all I can see that is similar / different is that all those I see with errors have a negative value in the grow{ } section on the plume module.. I tried setting the negatives value to 0  for a  plume (Ion-Argon-Gridded) that affected some Near Future engines, but that had no effect on the error nor was I really expecting it to. 

Just wondering if anyone has seen the floatcurve issue come back all all?

2 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Just wondering if anyone has seen the floatcurve issue come back all all?

In my installation, the following plumes all generate float curve errors:

Hypergolic-OMS-White
Ion-Xenon-Hall
Turbofan
Turbojet

In the patches that apply these plumes, I see the same pattern:

energy        = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/energy$

energy = 0.0 0.5
energy = 1.0 0.5

That is, all of them include "energy" from the PLUME config (where it is a single number), but they all define energy as an "old style" float curve, so you end up with

energy = 1
energy = 0.0 0.5
energy = 1.0 0.5

Which is the source of the float curve error.

These same patches do the same thing with "speed" - they include the single-value speed from the PLUME, and then add float curve pairs in the same node (which is why each part that shows the error has 2 or 4 entries).

What I don't understand is why the energy and speed value copied out of the PLUME in the first place.  The nodes in every case already have energy and speed defined, and the numbers being copied don't do anything (they're not being used to scale the values, for instance).

I commented out the MM lines that copy the values from the PLUME, and the float curve errors go away.  There may be other plumes with the same situation, but those were the only ones I saw in my installation.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

In my installation, the following plumes all generate float curve errors:

Hypergolic-OMS-White
Ion-Xenon-Hall
Turbofan
Turbojet

In the patches that apply these plumes, I see the same pattern:

energy = 0.0 0.5
energy = 1.0 0.5

That is, all of them include "energy" from the PLUME config (where it is a single number), but they all define energy as an "old style" float curve, so you end up with

energy = 1
energy = 0.0 0.5
energy = 1.0 0.5

Which is the source of the float curve error.

These same patches do the same thing with "speed" - they include the single-value speed from the PLUME, and then add float curve pairs in the same node (which is why each part that shows the error has 2 or 4 entries).

What I don't understand is why the energy and speed value copied out of the PLUME in the first place.  The nodes in every case already have energy and speed defined, and the numbers being copied don't do anything (they're not being used to scale the values, for instance).

I commented out the MM lines that copy the values from the PLUME, and the float curve errors go away.  There may be other plumes with the same situation, but those were the only ones I saw in my installation.

Wow :o  thanks for the fantastically comprehensive dump of information on the issue. Seriously that's awesome investigation. I'd only starting playing around with what was being affected and have the same list of plumes. I thought it might of been the negative but they didn't effect anything when testing.

So you just comment out these lines for those plumes?

//                energy        = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/energy$
//                speed         = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/speed$

5 hours ago, wile1411 said:

That's all I did, yeah.  As far as I can tell, those lines do nothing for the configuration, since there are already "energy = x y" entries in each of the nodes that are complaining.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:11 PM, Rel52 said:

Does this mod support 1.3 not just 1.3.1? Or is it backwards compatible? Sorry if this was already answered just bought the game a few days ago and not really familiar with this mod scene.

The patches will work with any (recent-ish) versions of KSP but you will need the correct versions of SmokeScreen and ModuleManager that reflects the version of KSP you are using. The core RealPlume mod should work with most of the recent versions as well but I'm not 100% on that.

9 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Wow :o  thanks for the fantastically comprehensive dump of information on the issue. Seriously that's awesome investigation. I'd only starting playing around with what was being affected and have the same list of plumes. I thought it might of been the negative but they didn't effect anything when testing.

//                energy        = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/energy$
//                speed         = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/speed$

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

That's all I did, yeah.  As far as I can tell, those lines do nothing for the configuration, since there are already "energy = x y" entries in each of the nodes that are complaining.

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm not 100% sure what each of the values are honestly. When I was working with the actual RealPlume stuff I was just winging it, lol. All I had for reference were the initial plume configs that Felger made and I was teaching myself as I went along.  All I know for sure is that the two digit values correspond to the atmosphere density and the power level the energy/speed are at for that given density. I do have an idea for a permanent fix but it'll have to wait to be tested until after the holidays. 

6 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

All I know for sure is that the two digit values correspond to the atmosphere density and the power level the energy/speed are at for that given density

My assumption is that the single-value energy and speed numbers were intended to be scalars that are multiplied by the second value in the density / power pair.  But that's a guess.

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

My assumption is that the single-value energy and speed numbers were intended to be scalars that are multiplied by the second value in the density / power pair.  But that's a guess.

That's what I assumed as well but you said that it doesn't seem to be working that way correct?

2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

That's what I assumed as well but you said that it doesn't seem to be working that way correct?

Right.  It doesn't adjust the values that are in the node - it just adds values to the node that don't fit the expected format.  If

was named

energyScalar   = #$../../../PLUME[Hypergolic-OMS-White]/energy$

it could be used to adjust the energy fields without errors. My MM-fu is pretty weak - I know it can be done, but I don't know my way around MM well enough to tell you how to do it.  But there are ways to apply math operations using variables.

Ditto with "speed".

12 hours ago, NumlockHolmesBR said:

My liquid fuel engines doesn't leave a trail like the solid rocket engines, is there a way to make that possible?

You'd have to add the proper information back into the configs of the LFO plumes. Which then need to each be customized to match the plume. Possible? Yes. Easy? More than likely, not. :( 

1 hour ago, Jack the Green Ghost said:

I can't upload a picture. You know that space shuttle engines when you are time warping you can see the fire like balls. That is what happening to me i see the space shuttle and kickback SRB like balls

I'm sorry, I can't really help without seeing a picture of the bug, what your gamedata looks like, and some game logs. Please look over the following forum thread on how to get help with your game :)  Imgur is a great website to upload screenshots of your game to.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, Nhawks17 said:

I'm sorry, I can't really help without seeing a picture of the bug, what your gamedata looks like, and some game logs. Please look over the following forum thread on how to get help with your game :)  Imgur is a great website to upload screenshots of your game to.

https://imgur.com/a/8IOOq? there you can see its not like normal its kind of ballish

23 hours ago, Jack the Green Ghost said:

It's hard to tell but you can try the following: Either install the toolbar mod and add the SmokeScreen settings to the toolbar and check the particle settings there. Try raising it to a higher number and seeing if that works. You can also go into the SmokeScreen folder and opening the settings.cfg file and doing the same.

Sidenote, looking at your timestamp I can see that the font is yellow meaning the game is running slower. What are the specs on your computer? Running in physical warp and having a slower computer can cause this.

4 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

It's hard to tell but you can try the following: Either install the toolbar mod and add the SmokeScreen settings to the toolbar and check the particle settings there. Try raising it to a higher number and seeing if that works. You can also go into the SmokeScreen folder and opening the settings.cfg file and doing the same.

Sidenote, looking at your timestamp I can see that the font is yellow meaning the game is running slower. What are the specs on your computer? Running in physical warp and having a slower computer can cause this.

KSP im running at 5-6fps

So the whole story for more fps you can go and see it in Sci-Fi Visual Enchantments topics i did every thing from there

35 minutes ago, Jack the Green Ghost said:

KSP im running at 5-6fps

So the whole story for more fps you can go and see it in Sci-Fi Visual Enchantments topics i did every thing from there

Ah I see... Well I can't give you much more help than what was said there, your computer just isn't built to run KSP to the limit that you're wanting it at. The issue you're seeing is in fact from your game running at 6 FPS.

I made about a dozen configs no problem, but I have two specific engines that just wont work.  I've tripple checked the part name to make sure its right.   What other common things would cause it to not work?  In-game the engine has no plume at all, and smokescreen shows no particle effects.  

btxbkCO.png

log file...  https://drive.google.com/open?id=16YvH1eo6W-WP996_9-1RZctljnzSzg5u

This is the config I'm trying.

@PART[FTT_Engine_375_01]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Hypergolic-Upper
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        localPosition =0,0,5
        fixedScale = 1.5
        energy = 1
        speed = 1
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Hypergolic-Upper
        !runningEffectName = DELETE
    }
}

The part even says "Plume configured by Real Plume" on it.  

EDIT: I put in a pull request for all the other configs I did. 

Edited by eberkain

On 1/13/2018 at 8:50 PM, eberkain said:

What other common things would cause it to not work? 

IIRC the thrust transform is case-sensitive, at least I have a vague memory back when I did the USI sounding rockets a year or so ago that changing the thrust transform name gave me effects and I was like - "really?!"