[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

6 minutes ago, DerpyFirework said:

Just found this in the SmokeScreen thread:

It may just get solved by the next SmokeScreen update.

And just as an extra thought, could this layer issue be related to the other odd behaviours that people have reported? I'm no expert at any of this but that sounds reasonable.

Ohh nice... And probably... given that the effects are likely similar in the way they work I would guess so. 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:37 PM, Kinzerfest said:

Is there a way to remove the vacuum spreading effect? I don't like it and it causes a lot of lag when I have a lot of multi-nozzle engines (Like the RAPIER)

If you're experiencing lag, just edit the configuration file and set the maximum particles to 300. That solves it for me.

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

If you're experiencing lag, just edit the configuration file and set the maximum particles to 300. That solves it for me.

Don't tell people to set performance-affecting properties to a value you use. It's all about personal taste and the abilities of their computer. The better way to say this is for @Kinzerfest to start with the default and gradually decrease the number of max particles until they find a performance that suits them best

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Don't tell people to set performance-affecting properties to a value you use. It's all about personal taste and the abilities of their computer. The better way to say this is for @Kinzerfest to start with the default and gradually decrease the number of max particles until they find a performance that suits them best

300 is a common value often used by many people. It seems the performance vs. maximum active particles isn't linear, and value of 300 cuts it off at a convenient spot.

Of course, he can experiment with the value - nowhere did I imply he should not. I think it's obvious anyone would tweak it.

I use a value of 350.

Setting the maximum values to around 300 works for rockets, but it causes a lot of problems when I make SSTO's. Making an SSTO with a moderate amount of  RAPIERS (6 or more) cause the effects to flicker, and the effects don't make a smoke trail.

1 hour ago, Kinzerfest said:

Setting the maximum values to around 300 works for rockets, but it causes a lot of problems when I make SSTO's. Making an SSTO with a moderate amount of  RAPIERS (6 or more) cause the effects to flicker, and the effects don't make a smoke trail.

Yeah, it's because the value is so low and there are so many engines that it has to divide that maximum between all the active engines. Not really much you can do other than to raise the max again and just deal with the performance hit.

@Nhawks17 I have a serious bug to report.

It was really inconsistent to reproduce and difficult to track down. It took me 4 hours to make absolutely sure its your mod (sadly).

So:

When I load my Career-save (not always though) the craft you load in (in this case on minmus) jumps UP by ~10meters and its orientation changes (usually rotates around by 5-45 degrees).

Which is catastrophic when its a heavy and big base D:

The quicksave allows for a very consistent recreation (!)

- load persistent

- switch to SKYCRANE on minmus

- if the bug isnt triggered hold F9 to load the quicksave

100% reproducable for me that way

Here is all I can provide:

- A gif to show it

- KSP.log

-output_log.txt

-persistent.sfs

-quicksave.sfs

gif with the bug in action

Must be a problem inside the smoke screen DLL right?

I hope you can fix this asap because this makes it impossible for me to use your (awesome) mod :/

Thank you for all your hard work , I appreciate it!

o7

-Mil

Edited by million_lights

4 hours ago, million_lights said:

It was really inconsistent to reproduce and difficult to track down. It took me 4 hours to make absolutely sure its your mod (sadly).

So:

When I load my Career-save (not always though) the craft you load in (in this case on minmus) jumps UP by ~10meters and its orientation changes (usually rotates around by 5-45 degrees).

The quicksave allows for a very consistent recreation (!)

- load persistent

- switch to SKYCRANE on minmus

- if the bug isnt triggered hold F9 to load the quicksave

100% reproducable for me that way

Here is all I can provide:

- A gif to show it

- KSP.log

-output_log.txt

-persistent.sfs

-quicksave.sfs

gif with the bug in action

Must be a problem inside the smoke screen DLL right?

I hope you can fix this asap because this makes it impossible for me to use your (awesome) mod :/

Thank you for all your hard work , I appreciate it!

o7

-Mil

I can't look at the logs or anything right now but are you testing this with just realplume installed? Considering you're the only person who's reporting it it seems like a rare thing if it is. I'll look into it when I can but please make sure to test with ONLY realplume and it's dependencies installed.

I've also seen a weird bug where a ship jumps up and flips over on reload, but haven't really tested that.

What i have tested is the bug where you can't click on parts like the command pod, and can't eva due to blocked hatch. It is definitely realplume/smokescreen. I've narrowed it down to this mod group; it only happens when this is installed.

Uninstalled for now, will try again perhaps in the future.

39 minutes ago, unclebedhead said:

I've also seen a weird bug where a ship jumps up and flips over on reload, but haven't really tested that.

What i have tested is the bug where you can't click on parts like the command pod, and can't eva due to blocked hatch. It is definitely realplume/smokescreen. I've narrowed it down to this mod group; it only happens when this is installed.

Uninstalled for now, will try again perhaps in the future.

Yeah I know about that one. Can't do anything about that one unfortunately. Waiting on an update from SmokeScreen.

I am wondering - both RealPlume and SmokeScreen are included in the install and required for RPS to work. Okay.

But when I open the SmokeScreen settings, no matter to what value I set the Maximum particles - it shows "active particles" 0, even though I check it in the middle of an engine firing.

The smoketrails for all of my engines past 100 m/s seem to go to those annoying spaced out smoke puffs. I remember, almost ages ago HotRockets looked like that by default, but when I switched to RPS, I was astonished by the density and quality of the smoke effect. Now, it seems like I have reverted back to HotRockets :(

I will reinstall the latest version of RPS tonight, I have a doubt that I may have screwed something up, because I got smokescreen separately currently and may have deleted something that I was not supposed to.

But until then, any advice, based on my vague description of the "issue" I am having? Mind you, maybe that is the normal behaviour of the mod and just my memories of 1.1 are getting all fuzzy and wrong already.

15 hours ago, million_lights said:

So:

*snip*

I have reported this one in the SmokeScreen thread. I too narrowed it down to RealPlume/SmokeScreen and sent a save file to @sarbian.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The bug reported in the comments above has been happening to me too. Any grounded ship or base will jump up about 10 meters every time it is loaded from the tracking station or simply F9'ed. I'm really curious as to what in the code is causing it.

On 27.10.2016 at 1:19 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Yeah I know about that one. Can't do anything about that one unfortunately. Waiting on an update from SmokeScreen.

You might want to put a warnig somewhere until there's a patch from sarbian. It's quite a serious bug that makes it extremely risk to load any landed vessel.

Sorry I've been away for awhile. Life has been pretty busy and will be for a little bit longer. We're likely going to have to wait for an update from SmokeScreen until these issues can get resolved so I'll make sure to put a warning in the OP regarding the ship bug.

8 minutes ago, tg626 said:

Halp!  My fire is on fire!  (seriously, anyone else getting this?  You have to zoom in, zoom out and it looks normal.  Tracks with atmospheric heating effects)

AB206C830D75B21836F47161CC5761CA01C6F34F

I get this all the time.. although it doesn't really bother me because it looks kinda cool:P

14 hours ago, tg626 said:

Halp!  My fire is on fire!  (seriously, anyone else getting this?  You have to zoom in, zoom out and it looks normal.  Tracks with atmospheric heating effects)

AB206C830D75B21836F47161CC5761CA01C6F34F

Yes, I'm getting this too, when the reentry effect and the engine are both active.  Maybe it has to do something with Reentry Particle Effect and RealPlume installed at the same time, but just guessing :wink: . At least I'm not the only one getting this behavior :P.

4 minutes ago, Sundering said:

Yes, I'm getting this too, when the reentry effect and the engine are both active.  Maybe it has to do something with Reentry Particle Effect and RealPlume installed at the same time, but just guessing :wink: . At least I'm not the only one getting this behavior :P.

From memory Sarbian thought the particles were probably appearing (generating?) in the wrong layer (can't remember the specifics, if you search back in the thread, or maybe in the Smokescreen thread it shouldn't be hard to find)

Smokescreen may gain the ability to force them into the correct layer in a later version (when Sarbian's time allows).

7 minutes ago, NoMrBond said:

From memory Sarbian thought the particles were probably appearing (generating?) in the wrong layer (can't remember the specifics, if you search back in the thread, or maybe in the Smokescreen thread it shouldn't be hard to find)

Smokescreen may gain the ability to force them into the correct layer in a later version (when Sarbian's time allows).

Ah ok, at least the devs are aware of this. @sarbian and @Nhawks17 thanks for the amazing work, hoping to see the future updates :).

I can't find the thread topic that covered this issue I'm having so I guess I'll post here. 
The BA-4 "Flicker" engine has the plume coming out of it when not active and al so while not thrusting and active. It appears on the launch pad even when I have no fuel on the craft.

BASAyt3.pngbtmTkfr.png

Edited by HawaiiSpaceProgram
fixed image tags