[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

Translators translate Google, so sorry in advance.
After the introduction of a system of "plumes to Shuriken", at the Saturn 5 rockets, flame animation missing on the second stage.
With that in both mods: FASA and Bluedog Design Bureau
on versions prior to the introduction of "plumes to Shuriken" - everything is fine
thank you in advance

though not, in the final version of the rules was, but a blue plume of flame no

sposlere on before and after

Spoiler

bVC6hbC5TR4.jpg

zziB_kMV5mg.jpg

certainly not critical, but it used to be nicer:huh:

More in my tests it turned out that the FPS to "Shuriken" was higher than it is now
If possible, please release a version without "Shuriken" on the old principle.

Edited by Fan777
dop

3 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

I think this mod's effects are amazing. but for some reason i prefer stock effect on vector engine, (some) jet engines and in cryo engines mod. is there a way to get stock FX just on few parts?

You can go into the /RealPlume-Stock/Squad folder for the vector and jet engines and find the engines part names and delete the configs you don't want. You can also just delete the /RealPlume-Stock/CryoEngines folder to get the effects back for that mod.

Hi @Nhawks17 , I am not sure if this question was asked, but I do enjoy this mod [like any others] ; however [at least I didn't say "but"]  Is there a way to get volume levels that are equal is sound levels?  [not sure that makes sense]  When I use a main sail.. I have to lower my volume settings.. [which is fine]  ,but I have a hard time hearing the LV909/Poodles.

Just curious if there is anything that I can do that might help balance.. thanks again.

11 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Hi @Nhawks17 , I am not sure if this question was asked, but I do enjoy this mod [like any others] ; however [at least I didn't say "but"]  Is there a way to get volume levels that are equal is sound levels?  [not sure that makes sense]  When I use a main sail.. I have to lower my volume settings.. [which is fine]  ,but I have a hard time hearing the LV909/Poodles.

Just curious if there is anything that I can do that might help balance.. thanks again.

Not without editing the .wav files as far as I'm aware.

On 04/02/2017 at 5:40 PM, gamerscircle said:

I personally replaced the sound_spsloop.wav file with sls_loop_deep.wav taken from SpaceY and renamed to take the former's place. Similar sort of sound, but the SpaceY one is much louder. Maybe @Nhawks17 could get permission from @NecroBones to use the sound if it's considered preferable.

RealPlume's sfx are kept in GameData\RealPlume\KWSounds

55 minutes ago, String Witch said:

I personally replaced the sound_spsloop.wav file with sls_loop_deep.wav taken from SpaceY and renamed to take the former's place. Similar sort of sound, but the SpaceY one is much louder. Maybe @Nhawks17 could get permission from @NecroBones to use the sound if it's considered preferable.

RealPlume's sfx are kept in GameData\RealPlume\KWSounds

I am not sure if I am allowed to ask this, but would I get a copy of your changes?  

16 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I am not sure if I am allowed to ask this, but would I get a copy of your changes?  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjhlfonb96s6fkv/sound_spsloop.wav?dl=0

Just overwrite the original file with this one.

Per licence requirements, this is a redistribution of a part of SpaceY Heavy Lifters, CC-BY-NC-SA NecroBones (Ed T.) @ http://ksp.necrobones.com/

Edited by Guest

Hello.
I'm getting a LOT of lag when using P1 Penguin engine from SpaceY pack.

All of the other engines (stock or from SpaceY) don't reduce my FPS significantly.
The problem starts when i start P1 in upper atmosphere - when plume is underexpanded. Also, when using physics timewarp the plume "expands" like in all engines but after going back to 1x speed the P1 Penguin plume don't go back into it's original shape/form.

Worth noting is when I test P1 on the pad and manually set it's plume to underexpanded (a.k.a set atmo density to 0 in smoke screen config window) I experience NO lag.

Is there a way to reduce lag when using this engine? I tried limiting number of particles but it didn't work. Even with "max particles" changed from 1000 to 50 in flight the P1 still lags like hell.

Thank You.

Edited by GrzesiekB

3 hours ago, HawkedUpSpace said:

' How to Install: '

*doesnt tell you how to install it, just lists dependencies*

If you need a how-to for installing this mod you shouldn't be playing modded KSP :wink: 

On another note, expect an update no later than this coming Sunday. Hopefully it'll fix some issues people have been having.

Okay here is an update. It isn't as much as I wanted to get done but I don't have the time to do everything right now. This update just includes some configs by DerpyFirework and the new SmokeScreen. For the next update I will be going through all of the configs and adjusting them to look decent as it seems some have been messed up with the new particle system. From my testing I am seeing no performance issues and I'm getting steady FPS. @gamerscircle I have an idea on how to fix the volume issue with the poodle but it'll have to be looked into for the next update. Sorry I couldn't get out more but life is busy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RealPlume-Stock v0.11.4

- Updated SmokeScreen to v2.7.2

- Updated Phoenix Booster configs

- Updated NewTantaresLV configs

- Added NewTantares configs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woo, go performance!

Frequent Garbage Collection?

I'm trying to tune my KSP 1.2.2 installation for recording. Stock Visual Enhancements, Planet Shine, Distant Objects, Texture Replacer, and the dev build of Ferram Aerospace. And a few other niceties.

I notice a frequent pausing on this installation, which I've read is a garbage collection process that runs when the heap is running low on space, or something along those lines. Happens on stock, unmodified KSP too, but not as frequently as every five seconds. All of those visual add-ons have an impact on my frame rate and I'm prepared to deal with the game bottoming out regularly, but this pausing seems to be caused exclusively by RealPlume. After installing a clean KSP and applying RP Stock Continued only, I get the same behaviour.

If you are suffering from a FPS drop, set the particle limit in the SmokeScreen settings to a lower number. You will need to use the toolbar mod to access this or change it in the configuration file after running the game with SmokeScreen once.

Tuning the particle limit increases the duration between pauses, but having only 250 particles active makes some of the plumes look strange. And SmokeScreen doesn't save the limit between game sessions, or for that matter, between scene changes in the same game.

I've read somewhere else that just increasing the heap size isn't a fix because the garbage collection pauses would just take longer.

I imagine a lot of folks went to a lot of work tuning the individual plumes for the stock engines, but I wonder if that tuning was done for single engines and not, say, a cluster of four Panthers.

Is there a simpler fix besides editing each engine's RP configuration to produce fewer particles? And while I'd like to get a better graphics card, I'm pretty sure my GTX 760 isn't all that bad.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

50 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Frequent Garbage Collection?

I'm trying to tune my KSP 1.2.2 installation for recording. Stock Visual Enhancements, Planet Shine, Distant Objects, Texture Replacer, and the dev build of Ferram Aerospace. And a few other niceties.

I notice a frequent pausing on this installation, which I've read is a garbage collection process that runs when the heap is running low on space, or something along those lines. Happens on stock, unmodified KSP too, but not as frequently as every five seconds. All of those visual add-ons have an impact on my frame rate and I'm prepared to deal with the game bottoming out regularly, but this pausing seems to be caused exclusively by RealPlume. After installing a clean KSP and applying RP Stock Continued only, I get the same behaviour.

Tuning the particle limit increases the duration between pauses, but having only 250 particles active makes some of the plumes look strange. And SmokeScreen doesn't save the limit between game sessions, or for that matter, between scene changes in the same game.

I've read somewhere else that just increasing the heap size isn't a fix because the garbage collection pauses would just take longer.

I imagine a lot of folks went to a lot of work tuning the individual plumes for the stock engines, but I wonder if that tuning was done for single engines and not, say, a cluster of four Panthers.

Is there a simpler fix besides editing each engine's RP configuration to produce fewer particles? And while I'd like to get a better graphics card, I'm pretty sure my GTX 760 isn't all that bad.

Have you tried using the latest version just released today

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

Have you tried using the latest version just released today?

That improved the pausing / garbage collection threefold, pausing about once every seventeen to eighteen seconds instead of every five with that cluster of four Panthers I mentioned. Much better.

Thanks for the update!

@Nhawks17, I have these in KSP.log for multiple engines at the game's start:

[LOG 20:50:41.716] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/ionEngine/ionEngine/ionEngine'
[ERR 20:50:41.730] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

Haven't checked if that's gone in the latest 0.11.4 version though.

The more severe issue is that RealPlume-Stock destroys AJE functionality. And that happens silently without any errors or something. Just after more than a year I accidentally found that AJE hadn't been applied and I played stock all this time. Here's the AJE patch:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@name = ModuleEnginesAJEJet

And then RealPlume-Stock's patches are applied doing this:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
	@name = ModuleEnginesFX
	%powerEffectName = Turbofan
	%spoolEffectName = Turbofan-Spool
}

This renames ModuleEnginesAJEJet back to ModuleEnginesFX leaving an engine without AJE modules. I don't get the need to rename all the ModuleEngines* to ModuleEnginesFX as in stock they are already ModuleEnginesFX, but may be there's a purpose that I just don't understand. More of, I found that what is done in this patch can be successfully applied to ModuleEnginesAJEJet without renaming thus allowing to keep RealPlume effects and AJE functionality for the same engines. I just skipped the renaming instruction if AJE presents and it seems to work at least at the first sight.

I've uploaded that tiny fix for turbojets here: RealPlume-Stock AJE compatibility

Edited by Ser

6 hours ago, Ser said:

@Nhawks17, I have these in KSP.log for multiple engines at the game's start:

[LOG 20:50:41.716] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/ionEngine/ionEngine/ionEngine'
[ERR 20:50:41.730] FloatCurve: Invalid line. Requires two values, 'time' and 'value'

Haven't checked if that's gone in the latest 0.11.4 version though.

The more severe issue is that RealPlume-Stock destroys AJE functionality. And that happens silently without any errors or something. Just after more than a year I accidentally found that AJE hadn't been applied and I played stock all this time. Here's the AJE patch:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@name = ModuleEnginesAJEJet

And then RealPlume-Stock's patches are applied doing this:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
	@name = ModuleEnginesFX
}

This renames ModuleEnginesAJEJet back to ModuleEnginesFX leaving an engine without AJE modules. I don't get the need to rename all the ModuleEngines* to ModuleEnginesFX as in stock they are already ModuleEnginesFX, but may be there's a purpose that I just don't understand. More of, I found that what is done in this patch can be successfully applied to ModuleEnginesAJEJet without renaming thus allowing to keep RealPlume effects and AJE functionality for the same engines. I just skipped the renaming instruction if AJE presents and it seems to work at least at the first sight.

I've uploaded that tiny fix for turbojets here: RealPlume-Stock AJE compatibility

Awesome, thanks. I don't play with AJE myself so I would've never noticed :P I will be sure to include this in the next update.

33 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Awesome, thanks. I don't play with AJE myself so I would've never noticed :P I will be sure to include this in the next update.

Actually, I think the right way to solve that is not to rename ModuleEngines* but apply your MM patches to ModuleEnginesFX. And write a separate patch that adds those effects to all ModuleEnginesAJEJet. That'll keep patches for stock engines clear of "NEEDS[!AJE]" and prevent breaking some other mod that would want to replace ModuleEnginesFX in future. I didn't do it that way because I'm not sure if there was any purpose of renaming the ModuleEngines*.

Edited by Ser

Any engine module patching should really be moved outside of the plume configs. Apart from helping avoid problems like these it makes the patching easier. Global patcher template:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesAJE*]]:AFTER[zzRealPlume]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],*
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
    }
}

BTW, the engine patching has no place inside the plume configs. The plume configs may depend on the FX engine module but ultimately it is a plume config and not a part config. We have the same problem with the RO plume configs too.

54 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Any engine module patching should really be moved outside of the plume configs. Apart from helping avoid problems like these it makes the patching easier. Global patcher template:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesRF],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesAJE*]]:AFTER[zzRealPlume]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*],*
    {
        @name = ModuleEnginesFX
    }
}

BTW, the engine patching has no place inside the plume configs. The plume configs may depend on the FX engine module but ultimately it is a plume config and not a part config. We have the same problem with the RO plume configs too.

I'm sure I could create an AJE plume folder for people that have it. I don't know MM syntax very well is there something I could use that would have the AJE config overwrite the stock config if AJE is present?

On 2/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Nhawks17 said:

Okay here is an update. It isn't as much as I wanted to get done but I don't have the time to do everything right now. This update just includes some configs by DerpyFirework and the new SmokeScreen. For the next update I will be going through all of the configs and adjusting them to look decent as it seems some have been messed up with the new particle system. From my testing I am seeing no performance issues and I'm getting steady FPS. @gamerscircle I have an idea on how to fix the volume issue with the poodle but it'll have to be looked into for the next update. Sorry I couldn't get out more but life is busy.

RealPlume-Stock v0.11.4

- Updated SmokeScreen to v2.7.2

- Updated Phoenix Booster configs

- Updated NewTantaresLV configs

- Added NewTantares configs

Woo, go performance!

WHOA!  Really, that will be awesome.  Is this poodle fix something that might be applied to like the 909 as well?  It has been a while since I used RP, but I do recall that there was just a couple of engines that I could hear when I turned down the engine volume in the game.  Thanks for the update.

@Nhawks17 With the current system your best bet is to apply all patches as usual (:FOR[RealPlume-StockConfigs]) and after that  (:AFTER[RealPlume-StockConfigs]) to apply patches for any specific parts (like the AJE ones). But this will easily break or become obsolete if new parts are introduced.

A better way is to do what @Ser did:

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
  @name:NEEDS[!AJE] = ModuleEnginesFX
}

This will set the engine module to be the FX one only if AJE is not installed. You will have to hunt down and check every part though (old or newly added) and apply the conditional check. That's why i offered the idea of decoupling the part from the plume patches. It is more work now (you have to remove the engine patches from every plume config) but you will never have to worry again for interop problems. If a new engine module type is introduced then you just add it to the global engine patcher as an exception.