[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

13 hours ago, Kwebib said:

The USI Sounding Rocket configs that user Drew Kerman made don't appear to be working on the just-released version 1.2.

probably because the configs themselves need to be updated to use the new shuriken particles. Since they aren't packaged with RealPlume they weren't updated. I'll get around to it when I get on 1.4.x in a few weeks or so in the meantime perhaps someone who has the latest stuff and can test changes would be willing to update them for you. Or, check the OP to see how plumes are made and just spot the differences that need to be fixed

https://imgur.com/a/k5TZJ

Hello,

First thanks for this marvelous mod wich improve the realis of this game, but I've got a problem since the last update. I don't know why but the outgases of few engines are passing threw the nozzle, wich is a bit ugly :/. I downloaded the mod few times but the bug persists. There some examples of bugged engines:

-Swivel; Reliant; Terrier; Bobcat; Mammoth; Rhino; Skiff...    Is it possible to fix it or informations to do it myself?

P.S: I'm french so my english may not be very good :wink:

Edited by Invaeder

Hey! Nice mod, great work on the engine effects! But, i was wondering: is there a way to use the HotRockets particle effects with the exhaust effects from this mod? i could never get HotRockets to work properly after 1.2, so probably not, but i wanted to ask anyway.

19 minutes ago, TheScienceGuy120 said:

Hey! Nice mod, great work on the engine effects! But, i was wondering: is there a way to use the HotRockets particle effects with the exhaust effects from this mod? i could never get HotRockets to work properly after 1.2, so probably not, but i wanted to ask anyway.

Never mind! i installed hotrockets and it worked perfectly! Thank you for this! 

On 3/31/2018 at 8:18 AM, vmatt1203 said:

He is a great modder and takes care of an awesome list of mods.

That he is.. I do hope you're expressing your appreciation by supporting him on Patreon, yes? 150+ mods to support equals a hell of a lot of his free time taken up.

Edited by JAFO

On 4/4/2018 at 5:53 PM, Invaeder said:

https://imgur.com/a/k5TZJ

Hello,

First thanks for this marvelous mod wich improve the realis of this game, but I've got a problem since the last update. I don't know why but the outgases of few engines are passing threw the nozzle, wich is a bit ugly :/. I downloaded the mod few times but the bug persists. There some examples of bugged engines:

-Swivel; Reliant; Terrier; Bobcat; Mammoth; Rhino; Skiff...    Is it possible to fix it or informations to do it myself?

P.S: I'm french so my english may not be very good :wink:

I have the same issue, by installing from CKAN. I didn't try to see if manually installing fixed it.

4 hours ago, Valerian said:

I have the same issue, by installing from CKAN. I didn't try to see if manually installing fixed it.

I don't use CKAN and I get the same issue. I adjusted "localPosition" of the flares and/or plumes in-game with the Smokescreen GUI until they looked right. Then I added my changes to the RealPlume-Stock configs. However, when I go back in-game my changes aren't showing up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong if anyone has any pointers.

Here is what I did for the Swivel, for example:

8lS6q6Y.png

13 hours ago, Kwebib said:

Then I added my changes to the RealPlume-Stock configs. However, when I go back in-game my changes aren't showing up.

I found the same thing the other day too. This is happening because the patches for Missing History are being applied even if that mod is not installed*. They are overriding the stock configs which is why your changes aren't showing up, and is also why the effects looked wrong in the first place.

I "fixed" my game by installing Missing History, as that seemed like a good idea! :wink:

Possibly more helpful is, it appears that the NEEDS are not being interpreted as I expect the author intended. Changing ":NEEDS[SmokeScreen]:NEEDS[MissingHistory]" to ":NEEDS[SmokeScreen&MissingHistory]" in the Missing History patches stops them from doing that. (I expect there's a more elegant solution. Somebody who actually understands MM syntax should probably check that I didn't just break something else)

* [This applies to the Swivel, Reliant and Terrier.  Any other engines that look wrong could just be wrong!]

23 minutes ago, Iam said:

This is happening because the patches for Missing History are being applied even if that mod is not installed

I'm sorry, could you elaborate, please?  How can the patches for a mod apply even if it's not installed?

(Just trying to find out what's going on-- if there's a bug in MissingHistory, I'd like to fix it if possible.)

23 minutes ago, Iam said:

NEEDS[SmokeScreen]:NEEDS[MissingHistory]

I'm pretty sure this is invalid ModuleManager syntax, these days.  I think that once upon a time, older versions of ModuleManager allowed this sort of thing, but in recent versions, I think it explicitly disallows having multiple qualifiers like that, and requires that you combine them like

25 minutes ago, Iam said:

NEEDS[SmokeScreen&MissingHistory]

...if that helps.  Not totally sure about that, but I believe that to be the case.

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'm sorry, could you elaborate, please?  How can the patches for a mod apply even if it's not installed?

Just as you said, the test statement appears to be malformed so it does not function as expected. Clearly the intent is there, but MM doesn't understand it as written. Usually that wouldn't matter except that MH replaces some stock items, so the target part always exists in some form. Here is a tiny snippet of log file from a clean copy of KSP 1.4.2 with only RealPlume - Stock (v1.2.0) and its dependencies installed.  (Just looking at the Swivel engine)

[LOG 03:53:29.569] [ModuleManager] Deleting root node in file RealPlume/RealPlume-Stock/VenStockRevamp/liquidEngine2 node: @PART[liquidEngine2]:AFTER[RealPlume]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

[LOG 03:53:29.804] [ModuleManager] Applying update RealPlume/RealPlume-Stock/MissingHistory/liquidEngineLV-T45/@PART[liquidEngine2]:NEEDS[MissingHistory] to Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-T45/liquidEngineLV-T45/PART

[LOG 03:53:30.015] [ModuleManager] Applying update RealPlume/RealPlume-Stock/Squad/liquidEngine2/@PART[liquidEngine2] to Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-T45/liquidEngineLV-T45/PART

MissingHistory is obviously not present, yet RealPlume's update for it is being applied.  The first update appears to take priority, so the end result is that the engine plume looks like this: Exhibit A. (Standard part with plume intended for the MH version of the engine)

Changing the NEEDS statement so that the proper test is performed puts things back to normal.

[LOG 05:56:04.852] [ModuleManager] Deleting root node in file RealPlume/RealPlume-Stock/MissingHistory/liquidEngineLV-T45 node: @PART[liquidEngine2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen&MissingHistory] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

The same engine, now with only the stock config applied: Exhibit B.
(This test does pass if MissingHistory is actually installed)

47 minutes ago, Snark said:

(Just trying to find out what's going on-- if there's a bug in MissingHistory, I'd like to fix it if possible.)

I couldn't possibly claim with certainty that there are no bugs in MissingHistory, but I think that this is not one of them! :)

Bonus: Exhibit C.

tl/dr: MissingHistory is innocent!

21 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Okay try this one

yup booting the game atm, takes some time, I need to see what my fps and stutter is atm :P I'll test it in a sec :D

wfP9ohy.png

Looks like you did it :)

Edited by Schmelge
adding results

On 4/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, JAFO said:

That he is.. I do hope you're expressing your appreciation by supporting him on Patreon, yes? 150+ mods to support equals a hell of a lot of his free time taken up.

Yup, its only $5 a/mo but its something. Without him my KSP would be unplayable.

By the way @Nhawks17 , while we are talking about the look of the flame, while reinstalling all mods today on a clean copy I noticed that the swivel engine usually is purple. Is it supposed to be purple with your mod installed too or is it supposed to look like it does in my picture? :) 

1 hour ago, Schmelge said:

By the way @Nhawks17 , while we are talking about the look of the flame, while reinstalling all mods today on a clean copy I noticed that the swivel engine usually is purple. Is it supposed to be purple with your mod installed too or is it supposed to look like it does in my picture? :) 

It's supposed to look like the picture. It's showing up purple????

Just now, Nhawks17 said:

It's supposed to look like the picture. It's showing up purple????

no no ! It's just like in the picture, sorry for not making sense :P I was just wondering if the idea was for it to actually be purple like in vanilla but for it to have the same kind of "plume" like in the pic :) are there engines with different colors to their plume or will all be the same color now? :)

14 hours ago, Schmelge said:

no no ! It's just like in the picture, sorry for not making sense :P I was just wondering if the idea was for it to actually be purple like in vanilla but for it to have the same kind of "plume" like in the pic :) are there engines with different colors to their plume or will all be the same color now? :)

You can see what all the plumes look like on this page. There is some variations to the colors and looks but they are mainly there to match a real world counterpart.

On 4/3/2018 at 4:33 AM, Drew Kerman said:

probably because the configs themselves need to be updated to use the new shuriken particles. Since they aren't packaged with RealPlume they weren't updated. I'll get around to it when I get on 1.4.x in a few weeks or so in the meantime perhaps someone who has the latest stuff and can test changes would be willing to update them for you. Or, check the OP to see how plumes are made and just spot the differences that need to be fixed

I started to poke around your configs, and restored the visuals as per Gordon Dry's efforts. Trying to compare notes with other modded configs,  I restored sound by commenting out a call to ModuleEnginesFX, but that killed the new plume. Overall, there's a whole lot more going on here than most all the other sample and mod-configs, so we may need wait on you to walk back through your changes. :)