[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

28 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

I started to poke around your configs, and restored the visuals as per Gordon Dry's efforts. Trying to compare notes with other modded configs,  I restored sound by commenting out a call to ModuleEnginesFX, but that killed the new plume. Overall, there's a whole lot more going on here than most all the other sample and mod-configs, so we may need wait on you to walk back through your changes. :)

I said a few weeks but now I don’t know as the new kerbalism maintainer axed the signal mechanism I like most about it. So now I’ll need to fork my own first and I can figure it out just no idea how long it’ll take me. Will def wait for the minor KSP versioning updates to ease up

I put the answer in a spoiler because once I noticed this audio quirk it's all I hear during launches. if you have any OCD tendencies you have been warned.

Spoiler

Because the heavy engine sound use by many engines for real plume has a subtle but noticeable mechanical noise in the background that has a pattern that's several seconds long. 

Edited by Tyko

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! First of all thank you to the developers of this mod, RealPlume is definitely among my favourites of the 80 plus mods I've installed.

I was however wondering if someone could help me out with some customization snags I've run into. I recently downloaded the RealEnginesPack by Alcentar; he has recently ceased development of the mod but the models are really beautiful so I decided to modify the pack for a highly customized personal install. I ran into 2 issues when trying to make realplume configs and was wondering if someone could help me out. Bear in mind that I have no prior coding skills and this the first time I'm trying to mess with configs..

1)

For the SSME model, I wanted to use the Cryogenic-UpperLower-375 plume but the volume was very low. I think that the volume is scaled based on the plume size scaling factor after seeing this in the prefab configs and the particular sound effect associated with that plume isnt very loud to begin with. In this case I had to scale it down to 0.5

Spoiler

AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_altloop
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = #$../../../PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]/plumeScale$
                @volume,1 ^= :^:1.0 :
                pitch = 0.0 1.0
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }

I assumed this scales the volume based on plume size? I found this inside Cryoigenic-UpperLower-375 in 000_GenericPlumes folder

I tried a few different things but so far have not been able to modify the volume. Is there a way to change the volume to my liking on an engine by engine basis? 

The Github wiki says use :FOR[zzRealPlume] - Adjust the EFFECTS nodes and engine sounds here.

So I tried this config (and several other bumbling variations after looking at other config files etc...) but it makes the plume disappear and doesn't solve the volume issue.

Spoiler

@PART[SSME_Engine]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Cryogenic-Cryogenic-UpperLower-375               // Pre-fabbed plume you want.
        transformName = thrustTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
        flarePosition = 0,0,0
        plumeScale = 0.5
        flareScale = 1
        energy = 1
        speed = 0.8
        emissionMult = 1                // Optional - Density of the plume particles (global).
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName =  Cryogenic-UpperLower-375
        !runningEffectName = DELETE
    }

}
@PART[SSME_Engine]:HAS[@PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]]:FOR[zzRealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    EFFECTS
    {
    running_closed
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 1.0
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
        }
    }
}

I guess its not super critical as using a 1.25m scale cryogenic plume doesnt cause volume issues as its not downscaled. But still I like the colours of the 3.75m plume for the SSME..

2) The second issue is more troublesome and I fear there may not be a simple solution. The pack contains models for the RD107 and RD108. Both of these models have additional smaller thrusters for attitude control. 

I am able to apply a realplume to the actual engines but that makes the thruster plumes disappear. I am attaching the part config file below in case someone is keen to have a look. I am not sure how to target the thrusters with a seperate plume such as one of the vernier thruster ones. Alternatively I would be fine with the original plume for the thrusters and realplume for the main engine if thats easier.

z7c9BAJ.png

The thrusters firing separately on the RD108 model without realplume (main engines are deactivated so we can see clearly)

crjiLRx.png

RD107 model with succesful realplume config for the main engines. Thrusters fire without plume now...

Link to the part config file for the RD108 model

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8oknvf6y54pa1l/RD108.cfg?dl=0

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

Edit:
The below successfully applies the vernier plume to the thrusters (thrustTransform2) but makes the main engine plumes disappear (although the sliders are still there in the smokescreen config tool.

Spoiler

@PART[RD107]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Upper
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,-1
        plumePosition = 0,0,-0.8
        plumeScale = 0.3
        flareScale = 0.3
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 0.6
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Kerolox-Upper
    }

PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Vernier
        transformName = thrustTransform2
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,-1
        plumePosition = 0,0,-0.8
        plumeScale = 0.3
        flareScale = 0.3
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 0.6
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Kerolox-Vernier
    }
}

IlpAgat.jpg

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hi! First of all thank you to the developers of this mod, RealPlume is definitely among my favourites of the 80 plus mods I've installed.

I was however wondering if someone could help me out with some customization snags I've run into. I recently downloaded the RealEnginesPack by Alcentar; he has recently ceased development of the mod but the models are really beautiful so I decided to modify the pack for a highly customized personal install. I ran into 2 issues when trying to make realplume configs and was wondering if someone could help me out. Bear in mind that I have no prior coding skills and this the first time I'm trying to mess with configs..

1)

For the SSME model, I wanted to use the Cryogenic-UpperLower-375 plume but the volume was very low. I think that the volume is scaled based on the plume size scaling factor after seeing this in the prefab configs and the particular sound effect associated with that plume isnt very loud to begin with. In this case I had to scale it down to 0.5

Hide contents

AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = #$../../../PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]/plumeScale$
                @volume,1 ^= :^:1.0 :
                pitch = 0.0 1.0
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }

I assumed this scales the volume based on plume size? I found this inside Cryoigenic-UpperLower-375 in 000_GenericPlumes folder

I tried a few different things but so far have not been able to modify the volume. Is there a way to change the volume to my liking on an engine by engine basis? 

The Github wiki says use :FOR[zzRealPlume] - Adjust the EFFECTS nodes and engine sounds here.

So I tried this config (and several other bumbling variations after looking at other config files etc...) but it makes the plume disappear and doesn't solve the volume issue.

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[SSME_Engine]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Cryogenic-Cryogenic-UpperLower-375               // Pre-fabbed plume you want.
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,0.2
        flarePosition = 0,0,0
        plumeScale = 0.5
        flareScale = 1
        energy = 1
        speed = 0.8
        emissionMult = 1                // Optional - Density of the plume particles (global).
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName =  Cryogenic-UpperLower-375
    }

}
@PART[SSME_Engine]:HAS[@PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]]:FOR[zzRealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    EFFECTS
    {
    running_closed
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 1.0
                pitch = 1.0 1.0
                loop = true
            }
        }
    }
}

I guess its not super critical as using a 1.25m scale cryogenic plume doesnt cause volume issues as its not downscaled. But still I like the colours of the 3.75m plume for the SSME..

2) The second issue is more troublesome and I fear there may not be a simple solution. The pack contains models for the RD107 and RD108. Both of these models have additional smaller thrusters for attitude control. 

I am able to apply a realplume to the actual engines but that makes the thruster plumes disappear. I am attaching the part config file below in case someone is keen to have a look. I am not sure how to target the thrusters with a seperate plume such as one of the vernier thruster ones. Alternatively I would be fine with the original plume for the thrusters and realplume for the main engine if thats easier.

z7c9BAJ.png

The thrusters firing separately on the RD108 model without realplume (main engines are deactivated so we can see clearly)

crjiLRx.png

RD107 model with succesful realplume config for the main engines. Thrusters fire without plume now...

Link to the part config file for the RD108 model

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8oknvf6y54pa1l/RD108.cfg?dl=0

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

Edit:
The below successfully applies the vernier plume to the thrusters (thrustTransform2) but makes the main engine plumes disappear (although the sliders are still there in the smokescreen config tool.

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[RD107]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Upper
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,-1
        plumePosition = 0,0,-0.8
        plumeScale = 0.3
        flareScale = 0.3
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 0.6
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
    }

PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Vernier
        transformName = thrustTransform2
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,-1
        plumePosition = 0,0,-0.8
        plumeScale = 0.3
        flareScale = 0.3
        energy = 0.8
        speed = 0.6
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Kerolox-Vernier
    }
}

IlpAgat.jpg

For your first issue try adding the following code to your config and adjusting the volume parameters until it meets what you desire.

@PART[partName]:HAS[@PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]]:FOR[zzRealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Cryogenic-UpperLower-375
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                vol = #$volume,1[1, ]$
                @vol *= 10
                @volume,1 = #1.0 $vol$
                !vol = DEL
            }
        }
    }
}

Make sure you add this separate from the plume section of the config.

For your second issue, try looking in the engine config and looking for different engineID names for the separate modes on the engine and follow a config structure similar to something like the multi-mode engines for the SpaceY mod. (see below). 

@PART[SYengine5mM9]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] // SpaceY M9 "Heavy-Moa" Engine Cluster
{
    PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Lower
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,1
        plumePosition = 0,0,1.3
        flareScale = 0.75
        plumeScale = 0.45
        energy = 1.2
        speed = 1
    }
    PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Upper
        transformName = centerTransform
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        flarePosition = 0,0,1
        plumePosition = 0,0,1.2
        flareScale = 0.8
        plumeScale = 0.5
        energy = 1.2
        speed = 1.2
    }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[AllEngines]]
    {
        %powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#engineID[CenterOnly]]
    {
    }
}

Notice how the @MODULE[ModuleEngines*] nodes have the :HAS condition based off of the engineID that is activated for the mode.

Let me know if any of this helps.

2 hours ago, Hunony said:

i want to delete the plume of certain engine, to i do this i just need to go to RealPlume-Stock and delete the .cfg file?

Yes

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

For your first issue try adding the following code to your config and adjusting the volume parameters until it meets what you desire.

@PART[partName]:HAS[@PLUME[Cryogenic-UpperLower-375]]:FOR[zzRealPlume]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @Cryogenic-UpperLower-375
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                vol = #$volume,1[1, ]$
                @vol *= 10
                @volume,1 = #1.0 $vol$
                !vol = DEL
            }
        }
    }
}

Make sure you add this separate from the plume section of the config.

Thanks a lot! This worked a treat! 

For your second issue, try looking in the engine config and looking for different engineID names for the separate modes on the engine and follow a config structure similar to something like the multi-mode engines for the SpaceY mod. (see below). 

I do have SpaceY so I just took a close look at that config. Unfortunately unlike SpaceY which has unique identifiers within its 2 engine modules, the two engines I'm grappling with don't seem to have any identifiers that I can find for the 2 modules (which run simultaneously). Perhaps I could add an engine Identifier? In any case shortly before I saw your post I got things working by directly editing the part config file and setting the appropriate plume for powerEffectName in each of the modules. I then adjusted parameters in the separate patch file. Its hacky and not best practice but since its just for my personal use and not for distribution its fine I guess.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help once again!

Edited by Zorg
spelling

@AUDIO
            {
                vol = #$volume,1[1, ]$
                @vol *= 10
                @volume,1 = #1.0 $vol$
                !vol = DEL

Hi Nhawks17, would you mind letting me know which parameters do what in this snippet? The values in the example you gave worked out of the box for my SSME problem but I would like to adjust some other engines. Experimenting blind without knowing what they do can be quite tedious given the game's load times.

Cheers

Edited by Zorg

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hi Nhawks17, would you mind letting me know which parameters do what in this snippet? The values in the example you gave worked out of the box for my SSME problem but I would like to adjust some other engines. Experimenting blind without knowing what they do can be quite tedious given the game's load times.

Cheers

The things being changed are the lines beginning with the @ symbol. The only value you should have to worry about is the [vol *= X] line where you can adjust the multiplier accordingly. I believe it takes the volume based on the plume config adjusted by the specific engine plume size and multiples it by X. I'm not 100% on that however as it's been a while since I looked at that stuff. By the way regarding your load times. It may be easier for you to use a separate install that only has the mods you are working on to play with the values. It makes testing a lot easier.

23 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

By the way regarding your load times. It may be easier for you to use a separate install that only has the mods you are working on to play with the values. It makes testing a lot easier.

This is so true. Also @Zorg, a mod recently came out which allowed you to reload a specific part config while in game without having to reload everything. It's a lifesaver.

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

This is so true. Also @Zorg, a mod recently came out which allowed you to reload a specific part config while in game without having to reload everything. It's a lifesaver.

Thanks! Looks useful, there really does seem to be a mod for everything!

@Nhawks17 I wanted to report an issue I've been having with the nuclearEngine animations.  Even when unstaged and off, there is an animation like the engine is on.  I finally ran it down to a conflict between KerbalAtomics and RealPlume.  I had to make the following edit to nuclearEngine.cfg to make it stop.

@PART[nuclearEngine]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[!KerbalAtomics&SmokeScreen] // LV-N "Nerv" Atomic Rocket Motor

KerbalAtomics does a lot to this engine (some I understand, some I don't), including adding a second mode to it, and I"m unsure exactly what is happening, but I wanted to post a solution in case anyone else has this issue.  Also it doesn't appear that any of the other stock nuke engines are having this issue, just this one so far.

Love the mod, sorry to see you stepping a side.  I wish you well!

14 minutes ago, Critter79606 said:

GameData\RealPlume\RealPlume-Stock\Squad\nuclearEngine.cfg

Well, then you decided to put that folder as subfolder in there, but you don't have to, you can just put it directly into GameData like I did.

When you download the latest release you see this folder structure:
Aid7J20.png

</smartypants> I like word censorship in all cases, yeah

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Well, then you decided to put that folder as subfolder in there, but you don't have to, you can just put it directly into GameData like I did.

When you download the latest release you see this folder structure:
Aid7J20.png

</smartypants> I like word censorship in all cases, yeah

That's where ckan put it.  I just edited the original file.  I was just clarifying the file path, in case there is another mod that uses the same filename.  I wasn't very clear about that.

2 minutes ago, Briso said:

Who can explain to me how to get the number of engine ignitions into the game, otherwise I can start the engines endlessly.

@Briso Take a look at this mod