[1.6.1] RealPlume - Stock [v1.3.1 - 1/14/19] - Better Late than Never Update

Nhawks17

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I wanted to voice a long standing grudge against a stock smoke trail feature that I fear is present in RealPlumes Stock as well :/ - During rocket launches at higher speeds in atmosphere (~200 m/s), the smoke trails don't exit engine bells in the direction of thrust - they leave in the direction of retrograde, making them veer sometimes upwards of 30 degrees off to one side of the engine bell if you perform a gravity turn quickly and often meaning it doesn't come out of the back of the rocket plume but off to one side as well. I'd post a video of this if I wasn't at work.

You can see what I mean by launching any regular rocket into the air and then performing a sudden gravity turn in the upper atmosphere.

- I've been quietly fuming about this for a while now but haven't voiced up because I haven't been sure about the best way to fix this. I think that increasing the speed that the smoke trails leave the engines would fix this. Mind you it isn't the rocket plume that's frustrating, it's the smoke trail that doesn't leave the engine in the right direction.

Indeed. This is particularly noticeable if you launch a Shuttle type vehicle where the ship moves forward with a noticeable AoA. The greataer the AoA, the more noticeable the issue. 

Ignoring the bad cropping and the horrendous diagram I made in 1 minute while on lunch break, this is what I mean. Left side being what it is now, right side being what it should be. Hopefully fixable by increasing the smoke exit speed. It's only really noticeable when moving faster in higher altitudes as at that speed you can't tell that the smoke is being pushed out at all - it just looks like a particle being spawned with no motion.

The plumes would look a lot more realistic as well if the particle speed was increased. It would raise tax on your system though as you would need to double the amount of particles each time you double their speed. It would truly make it look like a fiery plume being launched out of a high pressurized tank :)

JkHHc0C.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I know, I brought up this issue a looong time ago (I think it was in the HotRockets thread?) and it has always bugged the crap outta me as well. I don't remember what exactly the issue with it was but it's something wrong with the way the smoke trails in stock are created I believe. It may or may not be possible to alter using SmokeScreen but I would have no way of knowing unless @DerpyFirework, @Felger, or @sarbian knew. :( 

10 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

While we're on the subject of SRB plume, is it not possible to tweak the cfg in order to change the plume's appearance? Or does one go to SmokeScreen for that?

Depends on what you mean by appearance? Appearance in how the plume comes out or how the plume looks?

1 hour ago, Nhawks17 said:

Depends on what you mean by appearance? Appearance in how the plume comes out or how the plume looks?

I just tried doing this in the smokescreen config editor the other day and noticed I couldn't get the FX model to change without a game restart. Or maybe it just needed a scene restart?

13 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

The plumes would look a lot more realistic as well if the particle speed was increased. It would raise tax on your system though as you would need to double the amount of particles each time you double their speed. It would truly make it look like a fiery plume being launched out of a high pressurized tank :)

With the current KSP/unity it would be too taxing. Smokescreen can already easily hit the maximum number of particule the engine allows (when using the "old" particle system).

With we get a new Unity engine I will work on moving SmokeScreen to the new particle system. It should make thing a lot smoother and allow to use better visual tricks.

2 hours ago, sarbian said:

With the current KSP/unity it would be too taxing. Smokescreen can already easily hit the maximum number of particule the engine allows (when using the "old" particle system).

With we get a new Unity engine I will work on moving SmokeScreen to the new particle system. It should make thing a lot smoother and allow to use better visual tricks.

Hey @sarbian, so is Avera9eJoe on to something? Ive been wanting for some time now (just never took the time) to increase the flames coming out of the SRBs, both the speed and size of it, really get that genuine SRB look. Is that how to go about it? Just increasing the particle speed? Or is there something else to do?

I am not sure. At high speed you also have to deal with the movement of the reference frame (the KrakenBane stuff) and that may be it looks strange. The current code handle some of that but it may not doing it properly

1 minute ago, sarbian said:

I am not sure. At high speed you also have to deal with the movement of the reference frame (the KrakenBane stuff) and that may be it looks strange. The current code handle some of that but it may not doing it properly

Hmm... so is there anything that can be done to improve the looks or not really? What would you suggest?

10 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I just tried doing this in the smokescreen config editor the other day and noticed I couldn't get the FX model to change without a game restart. Or maybe it just needed a scene restart?

I've noticed sometimes it does that as well. I usually get around it by setting the value to some huge number like 200 and then it recognizes my change and then will do what I actually want it to the next time around.

9 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

I've noticed sometimes it does that as well. I usually get around it by setting the value to some huge number like 200 and then it recognizes my change and then will do what I actually want it to the next time around.

the other properties changed fine (physics = true and such), just not the FX model

3 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

the other properties changed fine (physics = true and such), just not the FX model

Ohhhhh, that, yeah no, you have to edit that in the config before hand and relaunch the game.

Good timing for me to check this thread it seems, as i was just about to bring up the speeding up of plumes. Glad that this is something that is being changed/planned to be changed, as i've always found it weird that they move as slowly as they do compared to real rocket exaust

I have a, hopefully, quick question! I'm not sure that "Real Plume" is working. But I'm not sure. From some screenshots I expected to see more smoke, however when my rockets launch it usually looks similar to this: GOZoD6w.jpg

Is that the intended amount of smoke/aesthetic this mod provides? Thanks!

22 hours ago, Bandus said:

I have a, hopefully, quick question! I'm not sure that "Real Plume" is working. But I'm not sure. From some screenshots I expected to see more smoke, however when my rockets launch it usually looks similar to this: GOZoD6w.jpg

Is that the intended amount of smoke/aesthetic this mod provides? Thanks!

Assuming those are liquid fueled engines, yes, the amount of smoke is correct. The amount that they used to put out was more along the lines of SRB exhaust, which was unrealistic for LF engines

I use KW rocketry and i've noticed something between having real plume installed and not (besides the plumes... duh). The sounds with the engine ignition without realplume installed is different for most of the KW engines, with the bigger ones sounding more "manly." However with real plume installed, all the engines with exception to the service module engine have one of two ignition sounds. Is there a way to have real plume yet have the KW engines keep their own sounds?

10 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Does this support sstu? I see that it doesnt show support for sstu on the first page but I swear I have seen realplume stuff on sstu, correct me if im wrong.

Yes, this works with SSTU.

Edited by StickyScissors