[1.7]Mk1 Prototype Cockpit UPDATE: Working window light!

Rocket In My Pocket

XPlhjtH.jpg

This is a simple modification I mostly made for myself to bring the classic Mk1 cockpit back into the game without being a carbon copy of the new Mk1.

To that end I've buffed it slightly, moved it up the tech tree, and changed the flavor text. New in Version 2: Working crew lights, detail lights, and a prototype decal.

I thought I'd make it available for anyone else who misses the old style but doesn't want 2 identical cockpits cluttering up the part list.

W7PaSkD.jpg

1e1lf22.png

Any comments, suggestions, questions, or concerns are welcome!

Changelog-

Version 1: First release, updated stats, description, and tech tree node.

Version 2: Working cockpit light/detail lights, "prototype" tag, and an internal antenna added. New download link.

Download-

https://spacedock.info/mod/1664/Mk1PrototypeCockpit

(Also available on CKAN)

Instructions- Toss it in your "Gamedata" folder.

Future Plans- 

-WindowShine support?

-IndicatorLight support?

-Texture variants?

License under spoiler:

Spoiler

Copyright (c) 2016 Deran Berhaupt "Rocket In My Pocket"

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Special thanks to @Chaos_Klaus for providing the files for the old model. Here's a link to his download for the classic cockpit with no changes: OldMk1Cockpit (Sadly it seems the link is depreciated for the time being.)

Extra special thanks to @swjr-swis who did the modeling work that made the cockpit lights possible! He also added an internal antenna while he was in the .cfg; what a guy! :D

I won't name them all here, but of course, I also want to thank everyone who offered advice, ideas, or just encouragement. This is something I've wanted to update for a while and it wouldn't have been possible without a lot of help from the great folks here on the forums. So thank you!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

11 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Great job! Can you add the original inline cockpit?

Thanks! I'm already working on adding back in several of the older cockpits, just working on stat balancing so they all have a unique role.

3 hours ago, Bomoo said:

That's not the original. That's the short-lived Mk1 remodel one of their interns created as practice a while back.

I'm aware but I feel it's the one most people identify with and it fits in with the other parts better than the heat shielded one, I'm toying with the idea of using both models for different purposes but haven't decided yet.

3 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Ok, now you got me curious: what was the original one? ;)

Do you have any picture, please?

It's basically the same, it just has some black lines and black heat tiles on the belly:

kGwtmZm.png

I may actually use this version in the full pack as the "prototype" and use the all white model for something else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Version 2 Released!

• Working crew lights!
  • Detail lights!
  • An internal antenna!
  • New download link!

Any feedback is appreciated! Negative or otherwise. I'm fairly happy with the lights/details, but I'm open to tweaking and/or changing things if needed. Lemme' know what you thought! :wink:

Awesome! Way to bring the nostalgia back. 

1.- Will the inlets on the side of the cockpit amount to anything (even if it's just for cooling/heat dispersion)?

2.- Will you add a heat-resistant version with heat tiles? It could be the same model, except with the added tiles (and weight). 

Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, DownHereInChile said:

1.- Will the inlets on the side of the cockpit amount to anything (even if it's just for cooling/heat dispersion)?

2.- Will you add a heat-resistant version with heat tiles? It could be the same model, except with the added tiles (and weight). 

Keep up the good work!

1- I don't want to stray too far from it's stock capabilities, at least not with this mod. Very interesting idea though!

2- I've been toying (for a long time) with the concept of a separate mod that splits it into two versions, one for atmo, one for space; this would be part of a larger pack that adds several of the older cockpits back in with unique stats and roles. As it stands currently it has a pretty high temp threshold anyways though, and that's a bit outside of the planned scope for this particular mod release.

Thank you! I appreciate it. :)

4 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

2- I've been toying (for a long time) with the concept of a separate mod that splits it into two versions, one for atmo, one for space

The new model/texture switching ability that is being added to the stock game in the next version might be a good method of doing this with just a single part.

16 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Have you considered at all integrating the old ASET IVA by @MasseFlieger?

If it needs updating, I can update it for you, or I could release it under the next version of Warbird Cockpits. It shouldn't take much work on my end.

I'd certainly love to support it and even link to it as a suggested companion mod, but I don't want to "force" anyone to use it if you know what I mean.

UPDATE: Was going to look into what would be involved, but I can't find a working download link for it.

I actually have the last version he released on my hard drive. As a matter of fact, I think it was losing all the work he did on the previous versions for the SXT and Kerbonov cockpits that got me to start backing up all the mods I download. And now I have no HDD space. :wink: AKI was the biggest influence on me making my own ASET cockpits too.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:31 AM, Grenartia said:

Is this on CKAN?

Apologies, not as of yet.

Someone, who shall go unnamed... (*Cough* @Geonovast *Cough*) had a spare key for TotalWar:Warhammer II and was kind enough to gift it to me since he had no interest in it and is apparently just an awesome guy all around!

Rest assured, as soon as I get this Warhammer monkey off my back I will get this up on to CKAN. It's on my "to do" list.

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Update: Now available on CKAN!

(Big thanks to @HebaruSan for pointing out the "add to CKAN button" on SpaceDock)

If anyone who actually uses CKAN could check and make sure it's there, and works fine, I'd certainly appreciate it!

*soon :)

The pull requests came through, it'll be another few minutes to get them merged...

• 2 months later...

Noticed that the old Mk1 cockpit design has some slits on the sides; maybe add an internal intake as well to run a small jet?

On 1/20/2018 at 7:20 AM, DownHereInChile said:

Keep up the good work!

Good idea. I think it would be good to add a heat tile version, but instead as a customization option. (Like how you can color the new rover wheels and fuel tanks.)

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.