[1.7]Mk1 Prototype Cockpit UPDATE: Working window light!

Rocket In My Pocket

18 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Rocket In My Pocket Is there a step by step tutorial on adding lights to old mod parts? This morning I downloaded the old Taurus HCV mod from one of @linuxgurugamer resurrected mods and it's got a 3.75m Science Lab and Hitchhiker with non-functional lights while the main capsule is working.

Not that I'm aware of, and actually @swjr-swis did the real meat of the modelling work to make the lights possible, he'd be the guy to ask! (I'll take this opportunity to thank him again!)

The only part I could really help you with is making the actual "lit window" texture, which isn't so hard after a bit of fooling around in a "photoshop-esque" program and the config editing stuff that goes with general part modding.

Best of luck though, and here's the relevant discussion thread from back then, you'll find some great info in there.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

4 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Not that I'm aware of, and actually @swjr-swis did the real meat of the modelling work to make the lights possible, he'd be the guy to ask! (I'll take this opportunity to thank him again!)

Hmm. It's going very far to call what I did 'modelling'. I was basically just putting together what I saw inside Blender and a few things mentioned by others in the thread you linked. I'd call it 'tinkering', at best, and I remember not being very satisfied - I was just showing how I got it working, figuring someone adept at these things would provide a more polished result.

As I remember it, the glow texture I added was a quick and dirty job just to prove the effect, which was meant to be replaced by something better. And didn't the off-white surface of the cockpit end up with an unintended sheen? I do hope the published version had those things corrected, cause my Blender/mu importer setup is non-functional at the moment. I'm afraid the explanation of my steps in the thread you linked is all the help I can offer on the subject.

11 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Hmm. It's going very far to call what I did 'modelling'. I was basically just putting together what I saw inside Blender and a few things mentioned by others in the thread you linked. I'd call it 'tinkering', at best, and I remember not being very satisfied - I was just showing how I got it working, figuring someone adept at these things would provide a more polished result.

As I remember it, the glow texture I added was a quick and dirty job just to prove the effect, which was meant to be replaced by something better. And didn't the off-white surface of the cockpit end up with an unintended sheen? I do hope the published version had those things corrected, cause my Blender/mu importer setup is non-functional at the moment. I'm afraid the explanation of my steps in the thread you linked is all the help I can offer on the subject.

Currently, yeah it's still there, although I hardly notice it, and no one has ever complained lol. I almost think that it's only noticeable due to KS3P post processing with the bloom and what not. Been doing a bit of tinkering with modelling myself on the side as I want to add indicator light support to it so I have plans to fix it when I get a chance. I've just been really busy lately so I haven't done much modding work at all.

Anyways I still appreciate it, it was better than I could have done at the time and the mod has 3,500 downloads on Spacedock! So I'm more than happy with how it's coming along, not to mention I love using it in my own game, still my favorite cockpit. I've also got loose future plans to add texture variants like the new Squad parts as well, and bringing back the black heat tile version; possibly even drop the heat resistance on the base model and increase it on that one so they serve unique roles?

4 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've also got loose future plans to add texture variants like the new Squad parts as well, and bringing back the black heat tile version; possibly even drop the heat resistance on the base model and increase it on that one so they serve unique roles?

I agree: if you do the variants, it would seem fitting to make heat resistance (and perhaps cost) different between the two.

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, N3N said:

Hey,

I'm getting this Error in my logs:

Is it a problem?

My Logs: https://www.tancredi.nl/downloads/logs.zip

Do you need more information?

Hello,

This error seems to exist, because the file isn't at that location, in the newest download-file.

So others should have the same error, too.

I there just missing a "/mk1Cockpit.dds" in the code/config?

• 11 months later...

First, thank you very much for your work, @Rocket In My Pocket!

When I toggled internal view I noticed the space seems a little offset to the whole part.

Can you notice Valentina's head appears a little too high? So is the cockpit's canopy... But there is quite some space available below her... 

7fHo1mf.png

Can I fix it using Module Manager? Or is it necessary to edit the part and space themselves?

If so, can you fix it?

Edited by jlcarneiro

3 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

First, thank you very much for your work, @Rocket In My Pocket!

When I toggled internal view I noticed the space seems a little offset to the whole part.

Can you notice Valentina's head appears a little too high? So is the cockpit's canopy... But there is quite some space available below her... 

7fHo1mf.png

Can I fix it using Module Manager? Or is it necessary to edit the part and space themselves?

If so, can you fix it?

You should be able to fix this through ModuleManager. There's an INTERNAL config node that can accept an offset setting. So it would be something like this:

@PART[Prototype Cockpit]:AFTER[Mk1PrototypeCockpit]
	{
		@INTERNAL
			{
				%offset = x, y, z
			}
	}

Where x, y, and z are replaced with the distance you want to move the internal in ingame meters. (I think it's x, y, z, but you never really know with KSP)

11 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Where x, y, and z are replaced with the distance you want to move the internal in ingame meters. (I think it's x, y, z, but you never really know with KSP)

Also, dont forget, IVA models are automatically offset from the external models for some reason.

IIRC, -90° on the X, and mebbe 180° on the Y, I think?

Edited by Stone Blue

15 hours ago, theonegalen said:

You should be able to fix this through ModuleManager. There's an INTERNAL config node that can accept an offset setting. So it would be something like this:

@PART[Prototype Cockpit]:AFTER[Mk1PrototypeCockpit]
	{
		@INTERNAL
			{
				%offset = x, y, z
			}
	}

Thanks! I must enter all three values, correct? I'll see what I can do...

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Also, dont forget, IVA models are automatically offset from the external models for some reason.

IIRC, -90° on the X, and mebbe 180° on the Y, I think?

Thansk for the heads-up!

ETA1: @theonegalen, I tried the values 0, -0.1, 0 and got an error about no negative values... any clues? 

ETA2: I found this post but it didn't help me much... 

Edited by jlcarneiro

11 minutes ago, jlcarneiro said:

ETA1: I tried the values 0, -0.1, 0 and got an error about no negative values... any clues? 

ETA2: I found this post but it didn't help me much...

Thats weird... offset isnt the actual position. Offset is how much on each axis you watch to move from the actual position.

Huh... yeah the ingo in that thread isnt very helpful... I am surprised rotate doesnt work tho... I kno you can use rotate, position, and scale to adjust part models... vOv

I kinda wonder why Squad thought to include an offset key, ONLY for position, but not for rotate... vOv

On 8/13/2020 at 3:23 PM, Stone Blue said:

Thats weird... offset isnt the actual position. Offset is how much on each axis you watch to move from the actual position.

Huh... yeah the ingo in that thread isnt very helpful... I am surprised rotate doesnt work tho... I kno you can use rotate, position, and scale to adjust part models... vOv

I kinda wonder why Squad thought to include an offset key, ONLY for position, but not for rotate... vOv

I think there is rotate AND offset (for position)... X, Y, Z would be the offset in each axis... But why wouldn't negative numbers be allowed? Can't I REDUCE the offset?

Edited by jlcarneiro
Typo...

Hey guys, surprised to see anyone posting here!

I've sort of semi-abandoned my mods while I wait for KSP2, but they shouldn't need much updating to stay compatible. (Or so I assume? I haven't even tried loading them up in the latest version to be honest.)

If you guys find a fix for the offset cockpit internal, I'll be happy to update the mod to include it for everyone. :)

14 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hey guys, surprised to see anyone posting here!

I've sort of semi-abandoned my mods while I wait for KSP2, but they shouldn't need much updating to stay compatible. (Or so I assume? I haven't even tried loading them up in the latest version to be honest.)

If you guys find a fix for the offset cockpit internal, I'll be happy to update the mod to include it for everyone. :)

Thank you for this attitude! I confess I'm not having much progress, but I'll keep trying!

And I thank any help from others... :wink:

Edited by jlcarneiro

• 1 year later...

@Rocket In My Pocket @jlcarneiro If any of you are still looking for a solution to the cockpit offset, using Module Manager is unnecessary just edit the part cfg directly, like this:

Spoiler

INTERNAL
    {
        name = mk1CockpitOldInternal
        offset = 0, -0.15, 0
    }

-0.15 or -0.2 in the Y value seems to fit well, but it will really help if instead of moving all the cockpit down you can only move the pilot chair down, since moving down the entire cockpit makes the window lines not match the fuselage. I tried with adding an offset to the internal cfg but didn't work.

A module manager patch that edits the offset is necessary only if you want to maintain an offset on a cockpit between installs so as not to edit the part cfg all the time if you reinstall your mods frequently (I do), or if you use the same patch to change the internal (Like I'm about to do now that I found some good offset numbers. Probably going to change it to the ASET Mk1 or DE_Mk1inline IVAs) as the new internals  are not always properly lined up.

Still this was so easy that I can't stop thinking that I misunderstood or that I missed something, if that's the case please correct me.

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

why do you have to offset the whole thing?

If its just because of the seat, theres an even easier fix

Because that was the original intention of Jlcarneiro as I read in one of the above posts

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 1:15 PM, Stone Blue said:

why do you have to offset the whole thing?

If its just because of the seat, theres an even easier fix

What's the easier fix than moving down the INTERNAL?

3 hours ago, Jacke said:

What's the easier fix than moving down the INTERNAL?

Well, it seems I originally misunderstood the issue, and I must not have read far enuff back to see this:

7fHo1mf.png

I thought it was just the seat was the issue.
Yeah.. in this case the internal should be moved down.

If the kerbal head is still an issue, you could try offsetting the InternalSeat position, as well, a little bit... Unfortunately, you'll end up with the feet in the correct spot, but the head not, or the head in a better spot, but the feet will be visually mixed into the pedals... Pick your visual poison.

*IF* the seat were a seperate prop, you could just move the seat down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.