[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

When moving it further away from Kerbol, I suggest also increasing its mass and put it planets in a higher orbit, maintaining the same period

All good suggestions. When looking at the mass that I'd set for Valentine, I realized it was 1/20 the mass of Kerbol. That's not even enough to make it a star! I'll double the mass of Valentine, so all I have to do is double the semi-major axis of the planets in order to maintain the same orbital period for each planet (I believe that's how it works). What I really need to get on is getting some CRP support. That's something I should've done a long time ago. 

7 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

All good suggestions. When looking at the mass that I'd set for Valentine, I realized it was 1/20 the mass of Kerbol. That's not even enough to make it a star! I'll double the mass of Valentine, so all I have to do is double the semi-major axis of the planets in order to maintain the same orbital period for each planet (I believe that's how it works). What I really need to get on is getting some CRP support. That's something I should've done a long time ago. 

why not give it 50% the mass of Kerbol that way Vallentine will be compatible to Gliese 229 which is about 58% the mass of the Sun. That way  Vallentine  will be a proper red dwarf star

1280px-BrownDwarfs_Comparison_01.png

Edited by FreeThinker

25 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

why not give it 50% the mass of Kerbol that way Vallentine will be compatible to Gliese 229 which is about 58% the mass of the Sun. That way  Vallentine  will be a proper red dwarf star

If I just doubled Valentine's mass, that would make it 1/10 the mass of the Sun, which is comparable to Proxima Centauri, so it would be massive enough to be a red dwarf. And considering that it took Kerbal scientists a long time to discover Valentine, I think it would best the make Valentine as small and dim as possible.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

21 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

If I just doubled Valentine's mass, that would make it 1/10 the mass of the Sun, which is comparable to Proxima Centauri, so it would be massive enough to be a red dwarf. And considering that it took Kerbal scientists a long time to discover Valentine, I think it would best the make Valentine as small and dim as possible.

Perhaps to stop confusing people, than you shouldm't call it a red dwarf but rather a brown dwarf as those are hard to find

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Perhaps to stop confusing people, than you shouldm't call it a red dwarf but rather a brown dwarf as those are hard to find

Well if it's a brown dwarf, then it wouldn't let out enough radiation to warm it's orbiting planets to the point where some of them have liquid water. I basically want to keep Valentine as dim as possible, while still keeping it as an actual star. Alternatively, I could just edit out the part the description of Valentine where it says that it took a while for Valentine to be discovered. Perhaps I could change it to state that it took a while for Kerbal scientists to realize it was actually orbiting Kerbol, and wasn't just another star. If I do this, I can basically make Valentine as large as I want.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Regarding the issue with Solyth’s density: 

I found it by comparing the planet’s radius to Earth’s radius (which was scaled down by 10x to match KSP scale). Keep in mind that I always have KSP planets and stars, stock or modded, scaled down to 10% their real-life radii and 1% their real masses. Using Solyth’s radius of about 1.317218 Re and its gravity of 1.27 gees, I get a mass of 2.2036 Me and a density of 5.3165 g/cm^3. While it seems like a terrestrial density, when I plot Solyth’s radius and mass on the Exoplanet mass-radius relationship graph, it is just above the 100% MgSiO2 line, indicating a lack of an iron core with about 1-5% of its mass in water. This would make Solyth an ocean planet, even though it has no water in-game. However, increasing its mass by just a bit to 2.7036 Me will give it a pure rock composition with barely any core, resulting in no magnetosphere. This could potentially be how Solyth became a dead planet: a series of large solar flares from Valentine killed off all life a few centuries before the events of KSP, but the atmosphere was too thick to be completely destroyed, hence why its seen in the present. 

This pack is awesome! I'm actually making a Youtube series based around escaping the Kerbol system in the After Kerbin pack (using interstellar extended ofc).
Is it cool if I have my Kerbals escape to and colonise Valentine?

Edited by TheBeardyPenguin

On 12/28/2017 at 2:27 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Regarding the issue with Solyth’s density: 

*Snip*

Okay. I will give Solyth a slightly higher ASL gravity to increase it's mass. 

On 12/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, TheBeardyPenguin said:

This pack is awesome! I'm actually making a Youtube series based around escaping the Kerbol system in the After Kerbin pack (using interstellar extended ofc).
Is it cool if I have my Kerbals escape to and colonise Valentine?

That's actually a very smart idea. I will definitely be in the lookout for that YouTube series you're creating. Have you already started it? What's your YouTube name?

6 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

That's actually a very smart idea. I will definitely be in the lookout for that YouTube series you're creating. Have you already started it? What's your YouTube name? I might shout-out your YouTube channel in the OP.

Here it is :)

3 hours ago, TheBeardyPenguin said:

Here it is :)

Ahh I thought your username sounded familiar. I watched your "Fall of Kerbin" series a little while back and couple other of the collaborative/competitive series you did with other people. Nice that you'd use Extrasolar! I've never actually tested Extrasolar with After Kerbin, but I'm assuming it'll work. I'm going to release the next update over the weekend or something. It's going to change the orbits of Valentine's planets a lot so I'd wait for that update to install Extrasolar.

What would be really cool is if you actually created a proper base on Fust using Extraplanetary Launchpads, and turned Fust into your base of operations rather than Solitude. Your series seems very interesting!

Hello everyone!

So, I have a new question. The question is what's about contract priority. I've united a lot af mods which are added a lot of star and planet systems. I can't understand, how internal game scrip generates contracts. For example. I've removed all other panets ans star systems mods, left only extrasolar, but anyway, the mosts of contracts are linked to extrasolar system. The first contract for out of Kerbin are research Mir which is a part of Valentine system. Why is it so? May be you can help me to understand?

Edited by DuskFall

3 minutes ago, DuskFall said:

Hello everyone!

So, I have a new question. The question is what's about contract priority. I've united a lot af mods which are added a lot of star and planet systems. I can't understand, how internal game scrip generates contracts. For example. I've removed all other panets ans star systems mods, left only extrasolar, but anyway, the mosts of contracts are linked to extrasolar system. The first contract for out of Kerbin are research Mir which is a part of Valentine system. Why is it so? May be you can help me to understand?

Did you happen to put the optional "career saver" config in your GameData folder?

Just now, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Did you happen to put the optional "career saver" config in your GameData folder?

Sure. You warned me to do this first before, when I united few planets mods and faced with changing spacecrafts orbits

Just now, DuskFall said:

Sure. You warned me to do this first before, when I united few planets mods and faced with changing spacecrafts orbits

Ah yes I remember that. Unfortunately, that is a side effect of using the career saver. I can't really do anything about that sorry. :(

5 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Ah yes I remember that. Unfortunately, that is a side effect of using the career saver. I can't really do anything about that sorry. :(

Nothing wrong. It's just a game's convention. I think, that it's related with Contract manager mod. 

Edited by DuskFall

@TheBeardyPenguin I'll be releasing an update for Extrasolar either today or tomorrow. I'll test it with After Kerbin to make sure everything works right. After I release this update, you can go ahead and install it. I'm real happy that you're going to be using my mod :)

33 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

When I use this with research bodies mod the star is too far to be found by telescopes. What is its orbit height from kerbol? I would check myself but I cant see it due to research bodies hiding it.

I can't remember the exact number, but it's going to be even further away in this next update. I'll have to make Extrasolar compatible with research bodies by increasing the max distance that the telescopes can track.

7 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

How much farther away because I feel like now it is far enough to feel like a long journey but close enough to not be horrifically slow. Will it break saves?

Okay so I'm going to call the distance between Kerbin and the Sun 1 KAU. The distance between Valentine and the sun currently is about 70 KAU. That is awfully close to the planets from OPM. I'm going to increase this distance to 230 KAU in the next update. This is a realistic distance between two stars that orbit eachother. When you are traveling to Valentine I want it to feel as though you are on a literal interstellar journey, which means long travel times.

Once I post the update, I'll give instructions on how to best prevent your save from breaking after updating.

Hey guys! Version 1.6 is up! Among other things, it adds compatibility between Extrasolar and After Kerbin, and adds two new moons.

If you have a current save with a previous version of Extrasolar and want to update to 1.6, please finish all missions to or within the Valentine system before updating. Link to download 1.6 is below:

https://spacedock.info/mod/202/Extrasolar: Planets Beyond Kerbol?ga=%3CGame+3102+%27Kerbal+Space+Program%27%3E

8 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

compatibility between Extrasolar and After Kerbin,

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Thanks. Now I'm gonna do a career playthrough with them both :P 

I've installed the new update but valentine doesnt seem any further. It's currently orbiting at 21,600,000,000,000 at 1400 m/s (not exact but around these numbers). Is this where it is supposed to be? Is there a way to put the planets around kerbol and make an extended solar system because I like the planets but the time it takes to get there means most will probably not be sen although they are better than stock ones.