[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

5 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Well considering I have an install of Extrasolar with all necessary mods and the bare necessities for testing purposes and it works 100% as intended, I can guarantee this is either a problem with how you installed it, or maybe even incorrect instructions on my part. I'll get back to you in a bit. 

Please make sure you still have this problem with just Extrasolar, EVO and only the necessary mods installed.

okay i will setup one of my other KSP installs with my modset and just extrasolar and its dependencies (scatterer, eve, etc.).
I will install my modset with CKAN as always and Extrasolar and its dependencies without CKAN.

Let you know what i found out....

UPDATE!:

So i made a huge testing run now. Several Tests based on Extrasolar v1.4 with its dependencies Kopernicus and scatterer (both latest versions). This are my results:

TEST 1: I tested new installation of KSP 1.3.1 with standard modset but without Astronomer's Visual Enhancer. RESULTS:

Spoiler

5aXaH00.jpg

TEST 2: I tested Extrasolar v1.4 on a new KSP 1.3.1 blank installation without any mods except the dependencies and Environmental Visual Enhancement as an extra. RESULT:

Spoiler

2akEwEr.jpg

ovqGIdU.jpg

TEST 3:  Same as Test 2. Blank KSP 1.3.1 installation with absolute no mods what so ever except Extrasolar's dependencies. My RESULTS:

Spoiler

cX92bRF.jpg

Edited by MKev

FINAL TEST & CONCLUSION:

Installed another blank KSP. This time in version 1.3.0 and Extrasolar as well as it's dependencies. Everything installed with CKAN this time. RESULTS:

Spoiler

CKAN Installation:

woBscWe.jpg

KSP 1.3.0 GameData Folder.

FjDZ6sT.jpg

LOMINA @ KSP 1.3.0 with no Graphic Bugs! Yay :D

iGmzJlB.jpg

CONCLUSION: Like i said earlier, the Problem is somehwere under the hood of Extrasolar or it's Dependencies. As for now and in my eyes as well as for some german friends the picture is clear:
Extrasolar v1.4 is not compatible with Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1 as for now. It's because of the fact that Extrasolar has a Problem, or one of its dependencies that causes this graphic bug.
This test should prove that as long as dependency mods do not support KSP 1.3.1, then the Mod that uses this dependency can not too. And i think this is the case here if, as you said
Extrasolar v1.4 is using scatterer to display this rings with the help of some scatterer effects. Somehow Extrasolar does not use Scatterer in KSP 1.3.0 at all and in KSP 1.3.0 LOMINA has no bugs.
Another thing i want to mention is the fact that scatterer in its latest version does not support KSP 1.3.1 - instead it only supports KSP 1.3.0. But somehow Galileo88 managed to get its Rings
in VE, GPP and OPM to work and as far as i understand it, its Kopernicus that manages the rings on planets and not scatterer. For sure this seems to be an hard case and i hope i was able to
provide you with some help to figure out where to search for the bad file or code. :wink:

best regards,

MKev

Edited by MKev

36 minutes ago, MKev said:

FINAL TEST & CONCLUSION:

Installed another blank KSP. This time in version 1.3.0 and Extrasolar as well as it's dependencies. Everything installed with CKAN this time. RESULTS:

Reveal hidden contents

CKAN Installation:

woBscWe.jpg

KSP 1.3.0 GameData Folder.

FjDZ6sT.jpg

LOMINA @ KSP 1.3.0 with no Graphic Bugs! Yay :D

iGmzJlB.jpg

CONCLUSION: Like i said earlier, the Problem is somehwere under the hood of Extrasolar or it's Dependencies. As for now and in my eyes as well as for some german friends the picture is clear:

Extrasolar v1.4 is not compatible with Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1 as for now.

* snip *

Okay I tested Extrasolar in 1.3.1, and its having the problems you are talking about. I guess just use 1.3 for now? There really isn't a huge difference between 1.3 and 1.3.1.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

3 minutes ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Hi! This looks like an awesome mod. But I do have one question, and I'm sure it's been asked before - does it have anomalies/easter eggs?

Not at the moment. There's too much left for me to do before I start adding little Easter eggs!

This is one of my favorite mods but, I had to uninstall because of the problem defined by @MKev . I am not sure when it started but it was working with 1.3.1. I change mods somewhat often, hard to nail down when the problem occurred. Also, earlier in the thread it was mentioned to not install with CKAN. What is the reason for this? I prefer CKAN to manual installations (even if it is really slow to get updates) because I use a lot of mods and change mods often.

10 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

This is one of my favorite mods but, I had to uninstall because of the problem defined by @MKev . I am not sure when it started but it was working with 1.3.1. I change mods somewhat often, hard to nail down when the problem occurred. Also, earlier in the thread it was mentioned to not install with CKAN. What is the reason for this? I prefer CKAN to manual installations (even if it is really slow to get updates) because I use a lot of mods and change mods often.

The installation process for Extrasolar is a bit too complicated for CKAN to handle. I might sort that out in the future, but for now, just manually install. As for the problem @MKev found, I'll try to sort that out soon. Perhaps you have to use a specific Kopernicus version? I don't know, I'll look into it.

Does this (fabulous !) mod have a known compatibility issue with modular flight integrator ? 
I am experiencing luminosity problems. Kerbol seems to give very very few light, if any. Outside atmosphere i basically can't see almost anything, even in daylight. Artificial lights work fine, however. My only solution was to dramatically enhance ambient light in settings, but of course it's completely unrealistic.

After huge testing, i've come to the conclusion that modular flight integrator can't work with extrasolar. Wich is a problem, because kopernicus don't work properly without mfi, and without kopernicus, no extrasolar. A i missing a mod ? 

I have the followings installed :

Kopernicus
Extrasolar
EVO
EVE
SVE
Distant objetcs
Scatterer
MFI

Other mods are unrelated with graphic rendering or kerbol system configuration, and the bug occur even without them.

12 hours ago, Tryphon said:

Does this (fabulous !) mod have a known compatibility issue with modular flight integrator ? 
I am experiencing luminosity problems. Kerbol seems to give very very few light, if any. Outside atmosphere i basically can't see almost anything, even in daylight. Artificial lights work fine, however. My only solution was to dramatically enhance ambient light in settings, but of course it's completely unrealistic.

After huge testing, i've come to the conclusion that modular flight integrator can't work with extrasolar. Wich is a problem, because kopernicus don't work properly without mfi, and without kopernicus, no extrasolar. A i missing a mod ? 

I have the followings installed :

Kopernicus
Extrasolar
EVO
EVE
SVE
Distant objetcs
Scatterer
MFI

Other mods are unrelated with graphic rendering or kerbol system configuration, and the bug occur even without them.

I just ran into this same problem myself. I haven't had Extrasolar installed until last night because my computer only has 16GB ram and I've got that almost maxed out with other mods. I tried Extrasolar on a whim and found it doesn't seem to add too much to the RAM bill like other planet packs I've tried have. However, after installing it, I noticed this bug. It's like it's close to night time on the sunny side of Kerbin.

Here's a couple of screenshots to show the issue. The time of these shots is basically high noon, with Kerbol directly overhead.

https://ibb.co/gdOaPb
https://ibb.co/b0qdcw

I don't know how @Tryphon managed to pin it down to MFI, but it sounds like the same problem. I haven't gone outside atmosphere yet to see if it's completely dark as he's saying, but I bet it is.

[EDIT] Just checked it out and it is indeed as Tryphon said in space. Bodies light up, but not craft. See the following.

https://ibb.co/cQauHw
https://ibb.co/bPcVqG

Edited by kananesgi

1 hour ago, kananesgi said:

I just ran into this same problem myself. I haven't had Extrasolar installed until last night because my computer only has 16GB ram and I've got that almost maxed out with other mods. I tried Extrasolar on a whim and found it doesn't seem to add too much to the RAM bill like other planet packs I've tried have. However, after installing it, I noticed this bug. It's like it's close to night time on the sunny side of Kerbin.

Here's a couple of screenshots to show the issue. The time of these shots is basically high noon, with Kerbol directly overhead.

https://ibb.co/gdOaPb
https://ibb.co/b0qdcw

I don't know how @Tryphon managed to pin it down to MFI, but it sounds like the same problem. I haven't gone outside atmosphere yet to see if it's completely dark as he's saying, but I bet it is.

[EDIT] Just checked it out and it is indeed as Tryphon said in space. Bodies light up, but not craft. See the following.

https://ibb.co/cQauHw
https://ibb.co/bPcVqG

Oh I know exactly what the problem is now that I see those screenshots.

I know I keep saying that I'll fix all of these issues with Extrasolar, and its been three months and I haven't done anything, but I promise I will. Winter break is coming up for me in a bit over a week, so I'll be able to crank out an update for Extrasolar sorting out all of these various issues that have come up. I just have so much school work and frankly, don't have the motivation to play Kerbal Space Program, let alone mod it. I don't have a "team" of modders like many of the big planet packs here do, so managing Extrasolar and looking for and solving bugs can be a little time-consuming. I think I've learnt my lesson, and will try to take my time and thoroughly check through Extrasolar to make sure there are no glaring issues once I release the next update. Hope you understand!

If you want, I can show you how to temporarily fix the lighting issue you and @Tryphon are having.

No problems man. I'd be in the same boat as you if I tried modding. For you it's school. For me it's work, I work between 12 and 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, and I play in two tabletop RPG games. Just not a lot of time for kerbals. 

39 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

If you want, I can show you how to temporarily fix the lighting issue you and @Tryphon are having.

I'm  game for that, if it's not too much trouble. 

5 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Oh I know exactly what the problem is now that I see those screenshots.

I know I keep saying that I'll fix all of these issues with Extrasolar, and its been three months and I haven't done anything, but I promise I will. Winter break is coming up for me in a bit over a week, so I'll be able to crank out an update for Extrasolar sorting out all of these various issues that have come up. I just have so much school work and frankly, don't have the motivation to play Kerbal Space Program, let alone mod it. I don't have a "team" of modders like many of the big planet packs here do, so managing Extrasolar and looking for and solving bugs can be a little time-consuming. I think I've learnt my lesson, and will try to take my time and thoroughly check through Extrasolar to make sure there are no glaring issues once I release the next update. Hope you understand!

Apologies are clearly not needed here ! Thanks for the works you've already done, and for answering the question.
I'm in for the fix.

4 minutes ago, OverlordMorgoth said:

Is this mod, albeit amazing by itself, compatible with KSS?

Hmmm I'm not actually sure. My guess would be that it is not. You can try it out and see, if you want.

16 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@Tryphon @kananesgi What version of KSP are both of you using? As touched upon a page or two back, there are some problems with Extrasolar and KSP 1.3.1, so make sure to use 1.3.0.

I'm running 1.3.1, and had no idea i was possible to downgrade or prevent steam from auto upgrading...

Is it actually possible to download 1.3.0 version ? 

16 hours ago, Tryphon said:

I'm running 1.3.1, and had no idea i was possible to downgrade or prevent steam from auto upgrading...

Is it actually possible to download 1.3.0 version ? 

Yes it is perfectly possible to do that on steam. Just search up a tutorial it's pretty simple.

Curious about the progress with 1.3.1? I've noticed deleting 'Extrasolar_SolarLightIntensity.cfg' removes the issue of no lighting effects but naturally causes Valentine planets receive Kerbol star light as if they were in the same system. Unfortunately I am not a modder but I am a qualified programmer/Unity game developer, absolutely happy to help if you need the support.

2 hours ago, Sleepy068 said:

Curious about the progress with 1.3.1? I've noticed deleting 'Extrasolar_SolarLightIntensity.cfg' removes the issue of no lighting effects but naturally causes Valentine planets receive Kerbol star light as if they were in the same system. Unfortunately I am not a modder but I am a qualified programmer/Unity game developer, absolutely happy to help if you need the support.

Yeah I know exactly what the problem is.

As I said before, I will start fixing all of these various problems when winter break starts for me, so in 5 days. My plan is that I'll update this on Christmas day.

I didn't read through this whole forum post so I don't know if you have already covered this, but will the realistic scale version ever be updated to 1.3?

I just started a new save with OPM and noticed how close Valentine is to the outer planets, so I was hoping for a way to make this as difficult as possible for me.

Great work on the mod though, looks very interesting and I'm excited to try it out.

35 minutes ago, Dashman01134 said:

I didn't read through this whole forum post so I don't know if you have already covered this, but will the realistic scale version ever be updated to 1.3?

I just started a new save with OPM and noticed how close Valentine is to the outer planets, so I was hoping for a way to make this as difficult as possible for me.

Great work on the mod though, looks very interesting and I'm excited to try it out.

Realistic scale is long dead.

If you want to change how far Valentine is, go a couple pages back and I think I posted how you can do that. I'll probably put those instructions on the OP so its easier for people to find.

Honestly, I'd wait a little before you start using Extrasolar. There have been some problems that have been brought to my attention that need to be solved before people can actually enjoy playing around with Extrasolar. I'm planning on fixing all of those issues and releasing an update on Christmas, so wait until then. It'll be my little Christmas present for you all :kiss:

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, kananesgi said:

No problems man. I'd be in the same boat as you if I tried modding. For you it's school. For me it's work, I work between 12 and 16 hours a day, 6 days a week, and I play in two tabletop RPG games. Just not a lot of time for kerbals. 

I'm  game for that, if it's not too much trouble. 

Okay never mind its a little more complicated than I anticipated. Just wait until Christmas!

@MKev @Tryphon @Sleepy068 @kananesgi and everyone else wanting to use Extrasolar:

I've whipped together a temporary fix for the lighting issues and the black rings. This hotfix that I created should solve both of those issues. However, Lomina's rings won't have the fancy ring shaders. I still need to figure out why they were all black.

DOWNLOAD LIGHTING HOTFIX