[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

EXTRASOLAR

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike

This mod is still under development. You may visit the new thread by clicking here or the link at the bottom of this post.

48YfMPN.png

WHAT IS THIS?

The Extrasolar mod adds the red dwarf star "Valentine" to the Kerbol System. Orbiting Valentine are several new planets and moons to discover. Because Valentine is so far away, you will probably have to download some mods in order to make the trip easier. Extrasolar is compatible with 1.3.1 and up. DO NOT INSTALL THIS FROM CKAN!

SCREENSHOTS

7Nsgbem.png

pSWVUPW.png

CmSJo68.png

n9KwB06.png

MORE                                               

ADDITIONAL MODS

DEPENDENCIES

• Kopernicus
    • Module Manager
    • ModularFlightIntegrator

RECOMMENDED MODS

COMPATIBLE MODS

DOWNLOAD ON SPACEDOCK

or

DOWNLOAD ON GITHUB

CHANGE LOG

Spoiler
  • 1.8.0 (December 25, 2018)
    • * Updated to KSP 1.5.1
    • Added EVE atmo effects
    • Improved Heba texture
    • Improved Lomina texture
    • Improved Kuprus texture
    • Updated Valentine light intensity curve
    • Updated atmo gradients
    • CRP configs
    • Changed file structure
    • Fixed issue with Kuprus biome map
    • Made Solyth less saturated
    • Minor fixes and tweaks
  • 1.7.6 (September 12, 2018)
    • Updated to 1.4.5
    • Minor bug fixes and tweaks
  • 1.7.5 (May 9, 2018)
    • Various bug fixes
  • 1.7.3 (April 29, 2018)
    • Fixed EVE issues
    • Fixed compatibility with SVE
    • Fixed compatibility with OPM
    • Created visuals for stock system
  • 1.7.1 (April 9, 2018)
    • Updated to version 1.4.2 of KSP
    • Scatterer adjustments
    • Adjusted Solyth and Fust's clouds
    • Distant Object Enhancement compatability (Thanks Pkmniako!)
    • Fixed issues between Extrasolar and Stock Visual Enhancements
  • 1.7 (February 19, 2018)
    • Fixed Deemo texture seam
    • Improved biomes
    • Added snow storms to Mir
    • Overhauled Javine
    • PQS Improvements
    • Scatterer tweaks
    • Tweaked coloration of Pael
    • Improved Soltyh scaled space
    • Added terrain textures from CTTP
    • Removed Pael and Ucella's atmosphere
    • Improved clouds
    • Updated science definitions
    • Improved Maol
  • 1.6.1 (January 1, 2018)
    • Scatterer tweaks
    • Fixed bug with Javine's and Fust's oceans
  • 1.6 (December 31, 2017)
    • Compatibility with After Kerbin
    • Removed Semth
    • Replaced Javine texture with Semth texture
    • Changed Mir coloration
    • Changed Solyth coloration
    • Made Valentine system more realistic (mass changes, orbit changes, atmosphere changes, etc.)
    • Added moon Kuprus
    • Added moon Pael
  • 1.5.4 (December 25, 2017)
    • Fixed lighting issues
    • Fixed Lomina's rings
    • Fixed scaled space for some planets disappearing briefly
    • Tweaked Heba's texture, and fixed its seams
    • Improved Serex texture
    • Improved Mir texture
    • Improved Fust texture
    • Improved Ucella txture
    • Improved PQS for all rocky planets
    • Restructured files
  • 1.4 (September 17, 2017)
    • Updated to work with latest Scatterer version
    • Updated to work with latest Kopernicus version
    • Scatterer tweaks
    • Improved Lomina's rings
    • Added clouds to Javine
    • Scaledspace tweaks for all bodies
    • Removed FlightGlobalsIndex (put the optional "CareerSaver" to prevent previous saves with Extrasolar from breaking after updating)
    • Moved Valentine closer to the Sun
  • 1.3.2 (March 6, 2017)
    • Tweaked textures
    • Improved Ucella textures
    • Final Frontier support curtesy of @smokytehbear
  • 1.2.0 (January 26, 2017)
    • Scatterer support!
    • EVE update
    • Texture overhaul
  • 0.9.0 (May 3, 2016)
    • Fixed incompatibility with newest version of EVE
    • Converted most textures to .dds (smaller file sizes)
  • 0.8.0 (April 8, 2016)
    • Added support for Distant Object Enhancement
    • Changed integration of Environmental Visual Enhancements compatibility
    • Cleaned out science definitions
  • 0.7.0 (March 12, 2016)
    • Packaged Extrasolar Clouds with Extrasolar
    • Completely changed Solyth
  • 0.6.0 (February 26, 2016)
    • Added moon Serex
    • Added moon Ucella
    • Removed moon Vik
    • Completely fixed Solyth's texture seam
    • Modified orbit of Javine
    • Modified orbit of Deemo
    • Shrinked mass and radius of Deemo
    • Increased radius of Maol
    • Tidally locked Vedre
    • Tidally locked Lomina's moons
    • Improved texturing of Vedre
  • 0.5.1 (February 19, 2016)
    • Changed description of Semth :)
  • 0.5.0 (February 19, 2016)
    • Added moon Hauna
    • Added moon Semth
    • Added moon Vedre
    • Removed moon Lox
    • Fixed Solyth's texture seam
    • Redid all atmospheric curves
  • 0.4.0 (February 14, 2016)
    • Improved texturing of Deemo
    • Improved texturing of Fust
    • Improved texturing of Maol
    • Improved texturing of Vik
    • Improved biome map for Solyth
    • Tweaked Solyth's textures
    • Tweaked stock scale orbits
  • 0.3.1 (February 10, 2016)
    • Improved texturing of Mir
    • Improved texturing of Heba
    • Made Valentine more red
  • 0.3.0 (February 7, 2016)
    • Added moon Maol
    • Added moon Vik
    • Added moon Javine
    • Added moon Deemo
    • Added moon Lox
    • Fixed issue with normal maps not working properly
    • Added custom science defs
    • Added support for Custom Asteroids
    • Lowered elevation of stock scale Fust
    • Increased semimajor axis of stock scale planets
    • Modified Mir's biome map
  • 0.2.0 (January 31, 2016)
    • Added planet Solyth
    • Added planet Fust
    • Added planet Mir
    • Changed orbit colors for Heba and Lomina
    • Fixed temperature curves for Heba and Lomina
    • Increased color saturation of Lomina
    • Added custom ring texture for Lomina
    • Modified Valentines orbit
    • Changed light coloration of Valentine
    • Added scale options
    • Created clouds pack for Environmental Visual Enhancements 
  • 0.1.1 (January 25, 2016)
    • Added planet Heba
    • Added planet Lomina
  • 0.1.0 (January 24, 2016)
    • Initial release

This mod support thread has been moved here:

Edited by adsii1970
20201017: OP requested change in license

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Again, please suggest any ideas for planets and the like. The more ideas the better! If you want to, you can even send me a folder containing a planet that I could put in this new planetary system. Don't worry, I'll give you credit :P. The first planet will probably be added very soon, but I just wanted to get creating this thread out of the way.License for Plugin Software: BSD

Cool :) Btw, I sent you an Idea. (Hermes)

Edited by Spaceception

On 1/25/2016 at 7:27 PM, _Augustus_ said:

So are these scaled at stock sizes? Please make rescale mods optional and compatible.

Also - No pics, no clicks.

No they are not scaled to stock sizes. I am planning on making rescale mods compatible, but this is version 0.1, so there are a lot more important things to be focusing on. Pictures are not available at the moment because there aren't really any planets to be shown off for now, just the star. Like I said, I have only put this up at the time I have just to get it out of the way. I am almost done with planets Heba and Lomina, and I'll probably be completely finished with those two planets by the end of tomorrow.

On 1/25/2016 at 7:03 PM, Garbonzo said:

Please put pictures with your post. I would love to see some original planet ideas!

I'm still in the process of making the planets. I'll probably be done with Heba and Lomina tomorrow. Once I am, I'll put some screenshots up.

On 1/25/2016 at 7:23 PM, Spaceception said:

Cool :) Btw, I sent you an Idea. (Hermes)

Thanks! I wan't to try to make this planet pack a compilation of other people's ideas along with my own.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

OK. I forget how planets work sometimes. I also found this on Wikipedia:

"Climate models constructed in 2013 indicate that cloud formation on tidally locked planets would minimize the temperature difference between the day and the night side, greatly improving habitability prospects for red dwarf planets."

Edited by TheJewelOfJool

5 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

"Climate models constructed in 2013 indicate that cloud formation on tidally locked planets would minimize the temperature difference between the day and the night side, greatly improving habitability prospects for red dwarf planets."

Maybe so but the day side would still be sahara and night would be an antarctic winter, not immediately fatal with the right equipment but still undesirable the terminator would be better suited temperature wise but very stormy.

Considering that red dwarves are more common than any other star its most likely that these semi-habitable worlds will be a frequent find among earthlike planets. But they will still be good for colonization :)

5 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Maybe so but the day side would still be sahara and night would be an antarctic winter, not immediately fatal with the right equipment but still undesirable the terminator would be better suited temperature wise but very stormy.

Considering that red dwarves are more common than any other star its most likely that these semi-habitable worlds will be a frequent find among earthlike planets. But they will still be good for colonization :)

10 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

Read this: http://www.space.com/28280-alien-planets-atmospheres-day-night.html

On 1/24/2016 at 1:11 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

-Fust: Fust is a planet very similar to Kerbin. It has a thick atmosphere that is rich in oxygen. Due to Fust's high oxygen content, is more likely than not that there is an active ecosystem on Fust that is producing the oxygen through photosynthesis. Fust's surface is mainly covered in water, with small mountainous islands peppering its surface. Thanks to David K. for this planet idea!

Thanks for using my idea!

Also, Fust is a great name. :)

Btw, could you make sure that the sky is a light tan, and the water is a dim orange-ish (With dirty-white clouds)? So it looks more realistic?

Edited by Spaceception

8 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Thanks for using my idea!

Also, Fust is a great name. :)

Btw, could you make sure that the sky is a light tan, and the water is a dim orange-ish (With dirty-white clouds)? So it looks more realistic?

Yeah, definitely. I'm in no way extremely good at modding, and I've been having a lot of trouble with oceans and rocky planets in general. I will try to make this planet as soon as possible, maybe in the update after next.

9 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah, definitely. I'm in no way extremely good at modding, and I've been having a lot of trouble with oceans and rocky planets in general. I will try to make this planet as soon as possible, maybe in the update after next.

Alright :)

22 minutes ago, USER_NAME said:

how do you make planets? I can't make them and i belive I am doing everything.

What I would recommend to start off is to use another person's mod as the framework and edit the planets so that they're the way you want them. After a while, you'll get the hang of it and will be able to do it mostly by yourself. Also, there are a lot of great tutorials out there for this sort of thing. For normal, height and color maps, use space engine. Space Engine procedurally generates planets that you can export, so it's guaranteed your planet won't look like anybody else's.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

17 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

What I would recommend to start off is to use another person's mod as the framework and edit the planets so that they're the way you want them. After a while, you'll get the hang of it and will be able to do it mostly by yourself. Also, there are a lot of great tutorials out there for this sort of thing. For normal, height and color maps, use space engine. Space Engine procedurally generates planets that you can export, so it's guaranteed your planet won't look like anybody else's.

Thanks, I'm trying to test my skills with this, then make a star wars planet mod if I an able.

50 minutes ago, USER_NAME said:

Thanks, I'm trying to test my skills with this, then make a star wars planet mod if I an able.

That sounds like a cool idea. If you ever end up doing that, make sure to include the less known planets so that it's more of an adventure. Good luck!

16 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

Will Valentine's orbit come near the orbits of the planets in OPM?

No. Its nowhere near the orbits of OPM planets. Valentine is extremely far away (.5 light-years in the realistic scale option, .05 light years in the stock scale option). That's why I recommend mods that add interstellar propulsion, so the trip to Valentine is still hard, but a bit quicker.

11 minutes ago, Alex G said:

I'm so glad someone is going thru the trouble of making this mod. Gonna try it out as soon as I get back. Excited for future additions to this. :D

Thanks much and no problem! I'm really excited as well. Next update will probably add moons to most of the planets in the Valentine System along with some minor tweaks. If you have any ideas for those moons, please give me suggestions. I intend to have a bunch of moons in orbit around Lomina and its getting pretty difficult to come up with ideas for its moons

3 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Thanks much and no problem! I'm really excited as well. Next update will probably add moons to most of the planets in the Valentine System along with some minor tweaks. If you have any ideas for those moons, please give me suggestions. I intend to have a bunch of moons in orbit around Lomina and its getting pretty difficult to come up with ideas for its moons.

I can maybe suggest one of those moons to be a kerbin-esque body. Using the gravitational energy from Lomina (or from its parent planet) to make it an actively warmer body much like Titan in our system. Just a thought :3

3 hours ago, Alex G said:

I can maybe suggest one of those moons to be a kerbin-esque body. Using the gravitational energy from Lomina (or from its parent planet) to make it an actively warmer body much like Titan in our system. Just a thought :3

Good idea. However, it sort of reminds me of Laythe, but I'll try to spice it up.