[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

2 hours ago, ChicagoTaco said:

An awesome idea would be a huge hollow planet that spins very quickly, the backstory would be that the core got so dense it became a mini black hole and swallowed most of the planet before being extinguished leaving a husk. The inside could support an atmosphere or even life and the outside could have very small (say 10-20 meter) holes that would lead to the inside. However there would not be many so the atmosphere would have a large pressure (say 2.5 atm.) the outside would be a black husk and the inside wouldn't be dark as you could incorperate glowing gas, or stones. 

Another cool one would be a lava planet, you could code in a red ocean with a really low crash tolerance or you could incorperate the heating aspect, so your temprature would increase over time. 

I will definitely create a lava planet in the future. However, I hollow planet would most likely collapse. Also, even if it were possible for a planet to be that dense, the creation of the black hole would emit a lot of energy and destroy the entire planet. I do like the lava planet idea though.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

16 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I will definitely create a lava planet in the future. However, I hollow planet would most likely collapse. Also, even if it were possible for a planet to be that dense, the creation of the black hole emit a lot of energy and destroy the entire planet. I do like the lava planet idea though.

My thoughts exactly.

Hello again! Solyth needs moons now, I see! What about one with lots of craters on one side and a sheet of ice on the other. The impacts would keep the ice from solidifying on the cratered side, and perhaps one missed, destroying life on Solyth? 

1 minute ago, Daeridanii said:

Hello again! Solyth needs moons now, I see! What about one with lots of craters on one side and a sheet of ice on the other. The impacts would keep the ice from solidifying on the cratered side, and perhaps one missed, destroying life on Solyth? 

I like the lore behind it. Could you suggest a name for it as well?

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I like the lore behind it. Could you suggest a name for it as well?

Not one in particular, but here's a whole slew of names for planets in general:

• Monpact
  • Mors
  • Phedas
  • Laticslo (Anagram of Callisto, which also has a bunch of craters!)
  • Perijut (Anagram of Jupiter)
  • Unla (Anagram of Luna)

1 hour ago, Daeridanii said:

Not one in particular, but here's a whole slew of names for planets in general:

• Monpact
  • Mors
  • Phedas
  • Laticslo (Anagram of Callisto, which also has a bunch of craters!)
  • Perijut (Anagram of Jupiter)
  • Unla (Anagram of Luna)

I  like Unla... sounds relaxing, which means the moon should be an inhospitible death trap!

--EDIT--

Also, I'm gonna be that guy breathing down your neck for support for the following mods:

Final Frontier

Planetshine

Distant Object enhancement

Custom Asteroids

Texture Replacer

Edited by Andem

2 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I don't think the problem is one mod in paticular, I think it's just the number of mods which is the problem. Try downloading the Active Texture Managment mod and see if that solves the issue.

the problem isn't my performance, and besides I do use ATM (for some reason it didn't show up on the list). I just want to know why kopernicus and/or extrasolar completely destroyed my ability to load games even after being deleted. 

13 minutes ago, Chasewithlasers said:

the problem isn't my performance, and besides I do use ATM (for some reason it didn't show up on the list). I just want to know why kopernicus and/or extrasolar completely destroyed my ability to load games even after being deleted. 

That's very strange. I'm very sorry and I can't say that I can help. This hasn't happened to anybody else to my knowledge so I doubt it is a problem with Extrasolar.

another user in technical support suggested moving the save file and that did the trick, apparently something corrupted the persistent and I don't suppose I can't really tell which mod did it unless I try to replicate it. thanks for the help tho, your mod is really awesome and I'll try to use it again maybe the next time I clean up my ksp folders. keep up the great work 

This mod looks awesome! Gonna download it soon

Heres a quick suggestion; how about a broken planet? It basically is a dead planet frighteningly CLOSE to its star with a vast, VAST jagged chunk ripped off from it all the way to the still-molten core and a smaller piece near its north pole, and its fragments are a bunch of procedurally generated asteroids in randomly aligned orbits. Its moons are said ripped off chunks.

Edited by AJTheMighty

2 hours ago, sndjulian said:

How far away is Valentine from Kerbol? (we can conside 1 AU as being the distance between Kerbin and Kerbol)

In the stock scale version, it is .05 light years. In the realistic scale version, it is .5 light years away.

2 hours ago, Chasewithlasers said:

another user in technical support suggested moving the save file and that did the trick, apparently something corrupted the persistent and I don't suppose I can't really tell which mod did it unless I try to replicate it. thanks for the help tho, your mod is really awesome and I'll try to use it again maybe the next time I clean up my ksp folders. keep up the great work 

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

This mod looks awesome! Gonna download it soon

Heres a quick suggestion; how about a broken planet? It basically is a dead planet with a vast, VAST jagged chunk ripped off from it all the way to the still-molten core and a smaller piece near its north pole, and its fragments are lots of procedurally generated asteroids in randomly aligned orbits. Its moons are said ripped off chunks.

Very interesting. I might add this planet into the mod. I probably won't have it destroyed all the way to the core cause that's a bit much, but I'll definitely use this idea and credit you. I'm loving all of the ideas you guys are giving me!

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

7 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

In the stock scale version, it is .05 light years. In the realistic scale version, it is .5 light years away.

Thanks!

Very interesting. I might add this planet into the mod. I probably won't have it destroyed all the ways to the core cause that's a bit much, but I'll definitely use this idea and credit you. I'm loving all of the ideas you guys are giving me!

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Aww, I'm glade you like my idea! I think the broken planet could be horrifyingly close to Valentine in an inclined orbit of approximately 36 degrees and you could still include the core but it'd be made of deadly orange glowing water that blows up your ship and overheats it the closer you get to it so it'd be realistic

TOO NAYMES AYE THAWGHT UP:

Shatteria (most interesting, either pick this or last one)

Fragmentum (play on fragment momentum, you can feel free to choose one or come up with yo own)

Edited by AJTheMighty

15 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Aww, I'm glade you like my idea! I think the broken planet could be horrifyingly close to Valentine in an inclined orbit of approximately 36 degrees and you could still include the core but it'd be made of deadly orange glowing water that blows up your ship and overheats it the closer you get to it so it'd be realistic

TOO NAYMES AYE THAWGHT UP:

Shatteria (most interesting, either pick this or last one)

Fragmentum (play on fragment momentum, you can feel free to choose one or come up with yo own)

I really trying to get to making moons for each of the planets so is it fine if I make it a moon of Heba for example?

Just now, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I really trying to get to making moons for each of the planets so is it fine if I make it a moon of Heba for example?

That's ok :)

I look forward to seeing the final result of the broken planet; a.k.a. Shatteria/Fragmentum (go with this one PLZ)

5 hours ago, KillAshley said:

direct exports of SE for KSP make me cringe :(

As long as people enjoy my mod, that is all that really matters in my opinion. I don't see the purpose of you trying to bash a mod that is only in version 0.3.1. Obviously there are going to be improvements in the future and it isn't realistic to think that a mod in development is going to start of as completely flawless and perfect.

im not trying to bash, please dont take offense. Direct SE export packs is something ive been trying to discourage in the community for a long time to try and stop people making a million packs and then abandoning them, and personal preference and all that too. Taking colors directly from the planets PQS is imho the best way to get more stock-like feel for the worlds. If you need any advice on anything feel free to ask either on the forums or IRC.

4 hours ago, KillAshley said:

im not trying to bash, please dont take offense. Direct SE export packs is something ive been trying to discourage in the community for a long time to try and stop people making a million packs and then abandoning them, and personal preference and all that too. Taking colors directly from the planets PQS is imho the best way to get more stock-like feel for the worlds. If you need any advice on anything feel free to ask either on the forums or IRC.

Okay, thank you. Sorry for making assumptions. The textures will change in the near future; the ones right now are just place-holders.

49 minutes ago, AJTheMighty said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures So hows the broken planet comin along? I would really love to see the final result. it'd probably be larger than Kerbin

I haven't even started it yet. I think the next update (0.4.0) is going to be a texture revamp update. That's going to take a long time so don't expect your planet idea to be implemented extremely soon.

Just out of curiosity, does this mod have any compatibility issues? I could just be missing something blatantly obvious, but there doesn't seem to be anything on compatibility in the mod description.

Also, is it possible to make a tidally locked planet with Kopernicus? If so, an interesting idea might be to have a tidally locked moon orbiting close to Heba, so that the daylight side is a sort of scorching mountain range and the night side might be peppered with lava lakes, or something. I have no idea how realistic that is, but it would provide some nice eye candy.

This mod looks great! Quite honestly, with the clouds, they look better than the stock planets, even with E.V.E. I am having difficulties getting this mod to work, but that probably stems from my own inability to actually make sense of what to install where, when E.V.E., Extrasolar, and the Extrasolar Clouds pack are taken into account along with the 7 or so other mods I have mashed into my game.

Great job with this mod, and keep up the good work.

6 hours ago, Nyxor said:

Just out of curiosity, does this mod have any compatibility issues? I could just be missing something blatantly obvious, but there doesn't seem to be anything on compatibility in the mod description.

Also, is it possible to make a tidally locked planet with Kopernicus? If so, an interesting idea might be to have a tidally locked moon orbiting close to Heba, so that the daylight side is a sort of scorching mountain range and the night side might be peppered with lava lakes, or something. I have no idea how realistic that is, but it would provide some nice eye candy.

This mod looks great! Quite honestly, with the clouds, they look better than the stock planets, even with E.V.E. I am having difficulties getting this mod to work, but that probably stems from my own inability to actually make sense of what to install where, when E.V.E., Extrasolar, and the Extrasolar Clouds pack are taken into account along with the 7 or so other mods I have mashed into my game.

I wouldn't Imagine so, As all the bodies are in orbit of a seperate star half a lightyear away.

6 hours ago, Nyxor said:

Andem is right. The star orbits so far away from Kerbol that there is no compatibility issues. Yeah I don't think that is too realistic :) but I have gotten the lava planet idea several times so I'll definitely make a planet or moon with lava lakes in the update after next. Currently I'm working on cleaning up the textures and making them look better, so you probably won't see any new planets or moons for some time.

If you having trouble installing my mod, here are some detailed directions:

1. Once the mod is finished installing, open up the folder. You should see two different folders inside labeled "Realistic Scale" and "Stock Scale."

2. If you are using the mod 64K, open the folder that is labeled "Realistic Scale." If you aren't, open the folder that says "Stock Scale."

3. Inside there should be a GameData folder. Open it.

4. Inside that folder there should be a folder labeled "Extrasolar." Copy and paste it into your KSP GameData folder

5. Done!

For Extrasolar Clouds, here are the directions:

1. Open the Extrasolar Clouds folder after it is done downloading

2. Inside there should be a folder named GamData. Open it.

3. Inside there should be a folder called "BoulderCo." Copy and paste it into your KSP GameData folder and overwrite any folders, although you shouldn't need to.

4. Done!

I hope that helped!

Unfortunately, after putting the Extrasolar folder into my KSP GameData and running it, the "load screen" completely froze upon starting to load Fust's texture. I quite honestly have no idea what this means. I really appreciate the help nonetheless. Seeing as it only froze upon loading a texture, I tried removing the Active Texture Management mod, which I also had running at the time, and voila! It worked beautifully. I suppose ATM doesn't like compressing the texture of an entire star system :P. Thanks for the help!