[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

2 hours ago, Tau137 said:

BTW, please not forget to kerbalize the distance to Valentine in the next release, because 1 light year is way too far even for experienced players with a bunch of semi-realistic future propulsion mods.  Even 0.1 ly is too far (more than 24hr play time at x20 physics wrap to get there with USI WarpDrive).  0.01 ly could be a reasonable compromise (100000 times further than the orbit of Eeloo); you can just include an optional tiny MM patch that increases the distance for RSS players and other masochists.

Let's see if Persistent Thrust mod works as advertised...

Yes I was planning on this. Will change it today and upload the changed files that will shorten the distance to Valentine and apply the Heba fix.

Here, this is a small little hotfix that fixes Heba, makes Valentine closer to the Sun, and changes the sun flare for Valentine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28hvxd2bp785ma6/Extrasolar_hotfix.zip?dl=0

EDIT: To make Valentine closer to the sun, read what I posted a few posts down.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

9 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Here, this is a small little hotfix that fixes Heba, makes Valentine closer to the Sun, and changes the sun flare for Valentine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28hvxd2bp785ma6/Extrasolar_hotfix.zip?dl=0

Comment on flares (IMHO, of course, and not a big problem):

1. Valentine flares (new versions) look too orange, perhaps even with with some green to them... old ones were better, albeit too bright

2. Sun flares should perhaps have a bit more yellow to them, not just pure white

3. Valentine ghosts should not have been completely deleted, just reduced in intensity and colored a bit differently.

13 hours ago, Tau137 said:

Comment on flares (IMHO, of course, and not a big problem):

1. Valentine flares (new versions) look too orange, perhaps even with with some green to them... old ones were better, albeit too bright

2. Sun flares should perhaps have a bit more yellow to them, not just pure white

3. Valentine ghosts should not have been completely deleted, just reduced in intensity and colored a bit differently.

1. I don't know if it is just because we have different monitors, but the Valentine flares look plenty red to me, with only orange appearing towards the center. Not sure where the green is coming from though.

2. The Sun is actually very white, when viewed from space. I think it is because of the Earth's atmosphere that the sun looks more yellow than it really is. Could be wrong.

3. The ghosts just annoy me. They never made sense to me, because it is not like you see lens flares when you are in space looking at the Sun. You only see that when you are looking through a lens. You can plop the Sun's ghosts in there if you still want them.

2 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

1. I don't know if it is just because we have different monitors, but the Valentine flares look plenty red to me, with only orange appearing towards the center. Not sure where the green is coming from though.

2. The Sun is actually very white, when viewed from space. I think it is because of the Earth's atmosphere that the sun looks more yellow than it really is. Could be wrong.

3. The ghosts just annoy me. They never made sense to me, because it is not like you see lens flares when you are in space looking at the Sun. You only see that when you are looking through a lens. You can plop the Sun's ghosts in there if you still want them.

1. I know the start is red, but the flares are not.  Main flare is about 3:2:1 (R:G:B) - moving in towards dirty orange; SunSipkes is better - about 3:1:0, just barely orange, and very clean.  Since I presume you want main flare to be brighter, you can certainly raise the intensity but it should be done proportionately until you get to saturation point, or you just get grey tint (and/or screw the hue).

2. This is a game with a lot of graphical limitations, and the (primitive) way these effects are setups creates a visually unpleasant transition between white flare and yellow Sun when zooming in and out (same as above, from orange-brown-grey flares to a red star).  Keeping the flares very bright but still tinted with correct color will alleviate this discomfort significantly.  If/when I have time, I will try to re-color them.

3. Perhaps I should try that, too (only looked at the images, did not have time to play yet).  But your are the creator and the end result is your choice, I was just to trying to give some feedback - I hope it was not too annoying or pretentious.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Just a suggestion, but could you perhaps give the planets realistic orbits?

I decided to put the system into Universe Sandbox2, and Solyth and Fust were both too far away from Valentine, and it turns out Heba was actually in the habitable zone, not Solyth or Fust!

It doesn't really matter, it's just a strange li'l nit-picky thing for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone's already asked this, but how far do they orbit? On CKAN I find two versions, the stock scale and the realistic scale. Since KSP tends to be a bit smaller than real life I installed the stock configuration but it's still over 100 AU if I remember correctly. By my math even with 10,000 JX2 Relay antennae (Massive Modded 1T or 1000G Powered Antenna) on one craft at either end and you still can't talk to Valentine. So what I'm asking is the realistic version closer to Kerbol? If not, does anyone know of any good looking modded antennae that have over 1T of power?

On 4/29/2017 at 5:33 PM, electricpants said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Just a suggestion, but could you perhaps give the planets realistic orbits?

I decided to put the system into Universe Sandbox2, and Solyth and Fust were both too far away from Valentine, and it turns out Heba was actually in the habitable zone, not Solyth or Fust!

It doesn't really matter, it's just a strange li'l nit-picky thing for me. :)

I'm sure the same type of thing would happen if you out the Kerbol system in Universe Sandbox. The Kerbal Universe is a really weird place, where stars the size of Jupiter are somehow g-type main sequence stars.

8 hours ago, Funtime60 said:

I don't know if anyone's already asked this, but how far do they orbit? On CKAN I find two versions, the stock scale and the realistic scale. Since KSP tends to be a bit smaller than real life I installed the stock configuration but it's still over 100 AU if I remember correctly. By my math even with 10,000 JX2 Relay antennae (Massive Modded 1T or 1000G Powered Antenna) on one craft at either end and you still can't talk to Valentine. So what I'm asking is the realistic version closer to Kerbol? If not, does anyone know of any good looking modded antennae that have over 1T of power?

The version on CKAN is outdated. Use the version on spacedock.

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I'm sure the same type of thing would happen if you out the Kerbol system in Universe Sandbox. The Kerbal Universe is a really weird place, where stars the size of Jupiter are somehow g-type main sequence stars.

Probably. L3bpQyb.png

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I thought the hotfix worked, it said there was already a heba file, so I overwrote it, but it's still 9,459,999,000,000,000 meters away.

I didn't put in EVO because I don't have any environmental mods, should I have put that in to?

EDIT: I realized that I might be coming off as pushy, and I don't want too come across as that, sorry.

Edited by Spaceception

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, Spaceception said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I thought the hotfix worked, it said there was already a heba file, so I overwrote it, but it's still 9,459,999,000,000,000 meters away.

I didn't put in EVO because I don't have any environmental mods, should I have put that in to?

EDIT: I realized that I might be coming off as pushy, and I don't want too come across as that, sorry.

Dangit! I forgot to include the valentine config in the hotfix! You can just change it yourself by going into the Valentine config and changing the semi-major axis to your liking.

27 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Dangit! I forgot to include the valentine config in the hotfix! You can just change it yourself by going into the Valentine config and changing the semi-major axis to your liking.

Okay :) that's the file next to corona, and under 'orbit', right? I'm just making sure so I don't break anything :P

59 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

It worked! :D It's about 15x further than Eeloo now.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:30 PM, EnriqueBNew said:

I think that Valentine is too far away. I used the USI Warp Drive to arrive there and is about 1 hour of boring space before arriving to the star.

You're lucky.

I used 0.1x RSS+Constellations and I had to wait 9 HOURS to get to Tau Ceti (My goal)!

• 2 weeks later...

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures:

Great mod and I love the visuals it adds to an otherwise bleak Kerbin sky. But I do have one question for you - any way you can make this work with the Tarsier Space Technology mod?

The only thing that would need to really be added would be image support for Valentine itself. The planets would be virtually invisible unless they were to be caught in transit. 

Oh, and since your OP said you were looking for ideas, what about a gas giant, no rings, who has a system of moons, but one of the moons has it's own smaller (much smaller, about 1.4 the size of the moon), satellite?

27 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures:

Great mod and I love the visuals it adds to an otherwise bleak Kerbin sky. But I do have one question for you - any way you can make this work with the Tarsier Space Technology mod?

The only thing that would need to really be added would be image support for Valentine itself. The planets would be virtually invisible unless they were to be caught in transit. 

Oh, and since your OP said you were looking for ideas, what about a gas giant, no rings, who has a system of moons, but one of the moons has it's own smaller (much smaller, about 1.4 the size of the moon), satellite?

Oh yeah I forgot that TST has its own way of discovering bodies that is not dependent on that Research Bodies mod. I will definitely work on that. In fact, I might add TST support for Constellations as well.

2 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@adsii1970 It looks like I don't even need to add support for TST. I think TST and Extrasolar should work fine together already.

Hmmm, I can get it to find the location of Valentine, but I don't get an image of Valentine. Do you have any suggestions?