[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

Just now, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@JacobJHC created a video where he goes to the Valentine system system... with an SSTO

When you have ion engines anything is possible. :D In other regards, there were two moons in the Valentine system that appear to be the perfect SSTO destinations. If I think I can pull it off I'll try both in one mission maybe. Also are there any plans for any additions to the system in the future?

Just now, JacobJHC said:

When you have ion engines anything is possible. :D In other regards, there were two moons in the Valentine system that appear to be the perfect SSTO destinations. If I think I can pull it off I'll try both in one mission maybe. Also are there any plans for any additions to the system in the future?

No I think the Valentine system will probably stay as it is for a while. Yeah ion engines are pretty OP if you're willing to wait literally thousands of years.

1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah ion engines are pretty OP if you're willing to wait literally thousands of years.

The SSTO took 1690 years to come back for a reason....;)

4 hours ago, electricpants said:

I looked at the Imgur album and Javine seems to look a bit like Titan?

Or is it something else and I'm just dumb?

Yup that's how it's supposed to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all. Just a quick one. I know there's a mod or two out there for better comm dishes, but for the life of me I can't remember which ones. I've also just run a test, and it looks like my JX2 dishes just ain't going to cut it.

Are there any recommendations for mods/setups to allow for communication between the Kerbol/Valentine systems? I'm going to be sending some Kerbals out there in cryo (Riddick/Ripley Kerbal?) to get things set up.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

I'm trying to determine the luminocity of Valentine by reading the Kopernicus config file

Although a starLuminosity is missing in Properties, it has he following SolarPowerCurve

SolarPowerCurve
         {
            key = 206000000000 .027385018 -9.10308242e-36 0
            key = 13599840256 0.5 -3.163652067e-32 0
            key = 68773560320 0.019552153 -2.446389548e-34 0
            key = 0 10 0 0
        }

Are you sure the Solar Power curve is correct, notice 2th key is higher than the 3th node, which is weird

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

I'm trying to determine the luminocity of Valentine by reading the Kopernicus config file

Although a starLuminosity is missing in Properties, it has he following SolarPowerCurve

SolarPowerCurve
         {
            key = 206000000000 .027385018 -9.10308242e-36 0
            key = 13599840256 0.5 -3.163652067e-32 0
            key = 68773560320 0.019552153 -2.446389548e-34 0
            key = 0 10 0 0
        }

Are you sure the Solar Power curve is correct, notice 2th key is higher than the 3th node, which is weird

Solar power curves are actually obsolete, so that is something I need to remove. To find the luminosity of Valentine, you want to take the value for luminosity (I can't remember where in the config it is located) and divide it by the solar constant (1360 W/m^2). This will give you the luminosity of Valentine, in solar luminosities. If you need to convert that to watts, that should be relatively simple.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

6 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Solar power curves are actually obsolete, so that is something I need to remove. To find the luminosity of Valentine, you want to take the value for luminosity (I can't remember where in the config it is located) and divide it by the solar constant (1360 W/m^2). This will give you the luminosity of Valentine, in solar luminosities. If you need to convert that to watts, that should be relatively simple.

Well it supposed to be the  starLuminosity in Properties, but that one is missing. Another candidate that I found is inside Light section where it has a luminosity propertiy of 50.583, divided by 1360, it would result in star luminosity of 0,037 which seems low but it might be correct for a red dwarf. which supposed to be much dimmer than yellow dwarf star like our sun.

Edited by FreeThinker

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Flux measurement , show that my  0,037 , is off by a factor of 27, which means the luminosity is rather 1, equal to the homeworld star, but that would be much to powerful for a red dwarf. Is this an intentional break from reality or an oversight? Perhaps when starLuminosity  is missing in Properties but it uses the Sun as a template, it will default to 1 equal to Kerbin Sun. Still the apparent brightness is much lower than it local sun, so perhaps on it brightness is low while the solar lux is equal to our sun, but most will be in the invisible infrared spectrum. To make it realistic, I guess you would set starLuminosity  to a value between 1 and to 0,037.

Edited by FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Flux measurement , show that my  0,037 , is off by a factor of 27, which means the luminosity is rather 1, equal to the homeworld star, but that would be much to powerful for a red dwarf. Is this an intentional break from reality or an oversight? Perhaps when starLuminosity  is missing in Properties but it uses the Sun as a template, it will default to 1 equal to Kerbin Sun. Still the apparent brightness is much lower than it local sun, so perhaps on it brightness is low while the solar lux is equal to our sun, but most will be in the invisible infrared spectrum. To make it realistic, I guess you would set starLuminosity  to a value between 1 and to 0,037.

That seems to be what is happening. I will fix this.

1: It seems the Celestial Objects from Extrasolar are missing their lozalisations for ResearchBody Integration.

https://imgur.com/a/9Keew5R

2: What antenna configuration a vessel needs to communicate from Valentin back to Kerbin? have the Stock antennas enough range?

Edited by Voidi

4 hours ago, Voidi said:

2: What antenna configuration a vessel needs to communicate from Valentin back to Kerbin? have the Stock antennas enough range?

A single unscaled stock antenna won't be enough, but if you scale them up or use multiple combinable antennas together it should be possible.

If you think that too much effort, you could use the Beamed power Dishes found in KSPIE

Edited by FreeThinker

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Could you take a look into
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/Kerbalism/blob/radiation-belts/GameData/Kerbalism/Support/ExtraSolar.cfg

The actual config makes the celestial bodies' radiation belts look like this with Kerbalism:

Spoiler

Heba:
7HaW9zo.png

Serex:
Kq02mJE.png

Solyth:
9P1xjlp.png

Fust:
Ybo5eX1.png

Kuprus:
ZBW1mKh.png

Mir:
SGciJlH.png

Lomina:
1ru6uI0.png

Javine:
qxQ8uWj.png

Ucella:
OajKlIl.png

Deemo:
rcCXDSD.png

Pael:
JpqY91S.png

ofc it's not perfect because the spheres are oriented outwards of Sun, not Valentine.
This is because there is no proper Kopernicus compatiblity yet in Kerbalism.
Also the solar flux is 0 or nearly 0 because Sun is in the calculation, not Valentine.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm having an issue with this mod and AVP. Fust has way more clouds when using the visuals of Extrasolar in combinaison of AVP than when I'm using them with SVE.

And when I'm deep enough in the atmoshpere the game starts lagging/freezing which isn't happening with the mod's visuals or SVE. So is there a way or a fix to make this mod work with Astronomer Visual Pack ?

1 hour ago, El Tardos said:

Hello, I'm having an issue with this mod and AVP. Fust has way more clouds when using the visuals of Extrasolar in combinaison of AVP than when I'm using them with SVE.

And when I'm deep enough in the atmoshpere the game starts lagging/freezing which isn't happening with the mod's visuals or SVE. So is there a way or a fix to make this mod work with Astronomer Visual Pack ?

AVP is not listed as compatible with Extrasolar, so you shouldn't use it.

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

AVP is not listed as compatible with Extrasolar, so you shouldn't use it.

Ok thanks, just wanted to know if there was a way. :)

And is the "other visual pack" compatibility planned in the future or not ? 

1 hour ago, El Tardos said:

Ok thanks, just wanted to know if there was a way. :)

And is the "other visual pack" compatibility planned in the future or not ? 

Yeah I will likely add compatible with other visual packs in the future, including AVP.

• 3 weeks later...