AndrewDraws

[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, smotheredrun said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures, Is there a way to make Valentine 4 light years away or more?  Just interested for the new challenge posted by @FreeThinker, and I'm not too keen on cluttering up my install (and subsequently computer) anymore than I already have...

Just go to this file directory:

GameData\Extrasolar\ValentineSystem\Valentine\

Open up Valentine.cfg and replace the line of code that says "semiMajorAxis = 9.46e+15" with "semiMajorAxis = 7.569e+16"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Just go to this file directory:

GameData\Extrasolar\ValentineSystem\Valentine\

Open up Valentine.cfg and replace the line of code that says "semiMajorAxis = 9.46e+15" with "semiMajorAxis = 7.569e+16"

Will this make other "things"/Krakken appear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Will this make other "things"/Krakken appear?

It shouldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I installed the EVO folder in the GameData folder so I can get some lovely scatterer with your planets, but whenever I look at the planets with scatterer they flicker a lot and my FPS goes to about 10. It's fine with any stock planets.

I wonder if I've done something wrong or maybe it's not compatible with the latest scatterer? I'm using scatterer 0.0300 and I'm not using EVE at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AlexArkham said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I installed the EVO folder in the GameData folder so I can get some lovely scatterer with your planets, but whenever I look at the planets with scatterer they flicker a lot and my FPS goes to about 10. It's fine with any stock planets.

I wonder if I've done something wrong or maybe it's not compatible with the latest scatterer? I'm using scatterer 0.0300 and I'm not using EVE at all.

That's strange. Install EVE and see what happens. Post your output log as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey dude! Awesome mod, I've had great fun with it.

The time has come for me to try my own planet pack, but I'm facing some problems with a number of things and nobody has gotten back to me with any solid information so far :(

My first problem:

Ony atmospheric planet, the atmosphere is 60,000M high. The sky is completely black even though ambientlight and skycolour have been set to RGBA 0.8 0.8 0.9 1.0. The sky is black during daytime and the atmospheric rim is extremely low. (No scatterer).

My second problem:

I have noticed that a lot of my terrain is pixelated because of my DDS format (1-bit depth, no alpha). This makes my file size small but makes the height map more pixelated, and thus the terrain. Paint.net won't even open the height maps from OPM. If I save as anything other than DDS 1 bit no alpha, the file size is closing up to 16MBz when my resolution is 4k x 2k. The OPM mod retains a non-pixelated height map and only 5.3mb file sizes for the height maps, and I think this has something to do with the DDS format the author uses.

If you could help with these issues, that would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gamel0rd1 said:

Hey dude! Awesome mod, I've had great fun with it.

The time has come for me to try my own planet pack, but I'm facing some problems with a number of things and nobody has gotten back to me with any solid information so far :(

My first problem:

Ony atmospheric planet, the atmosphere is 60,000M high. The sky is completely black even though ambientlight and skycolour have been set to RGBA 0.8 0.8 0.9 1.0. The sky is black during daytime and the atmospheric rim is extremely low. (No scatterer).

My second problem:

I have noticed that a lot of my terrain is pixelated because of my DDS format (1-bit depth, no alpha). This makes my file size small but makes the height map more pixelated, and thus the terrain. Paint.net won't even open the height maps from OPM. If I save as anything other than DDS 1 bit no alpha, the file size is closing up to 16MBz when my resolution is 4k x 2k. The OPM mod retains a non-pixelated height map and only 5.3mb file sizes for the height maps, and I think this has something to do with the DDS format the author uses.

If you could help with these issues, that would be awesome.

For your first problem, post the code you have for the planet and I'll take a look at it. As for your second problem, I'm not sure I can help, but you can always use png's. Also, don't use paint.net. Use gimp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

For your first problem, post the code you have for the planet and I'll take a look at it. As for your second problem, I'm not sure I can help, but you can always use png's. Also, don't use paint.net. Use gimp.

Ah my bad for forgetting to reply! Sorry!

Here's the code:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    Body
    {
        name = Niebos
        flightGlobalsIndex = 188
		Debug
		{
			exportMesh = true
			update = true
		}
		cacheFile = Olei/Cache/Niebos.bin
        Template
        {
            name = Laythe
			removeAllPQSMods = true
        }
        Properties
        {
            radius = 100000
            geeASL = 0.6
			rotationPeriod = 120000
			tidallyLocked = false
		    description = Niebos used to be the core of Jool before it became a gas giant. Ejected by unknown forces, it has gathered a breathable atmosphere - could this perhaps be refuge for the Kerbals?
			timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 60500 60750 65000 69000 100000 120000 150000
			ScienceValues
			{
				landedDataValue = 7.5
				splashedDataValue = 1
				flyingLowDataValue = 2
				flyingHighDataValue = 2.5
				inSpaceLowDataValue = 4
				inSpaceHighDataValue = 6
				recoveryValue = 6.5
				spaceAltitudeThreshold = 118000
			}
        }
        Orbit
        {
            referenceBody = Sun
			color = RGBA(10, 155, 255, 255)
			semiMajorAxis = 22000000000
			inclination = 0.01
			eccentricity = 0.15
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = 220
            argumentOfPeriapsis = 50
			meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0
            epoch = 213
        }
		Rings
		{
			Ring
			{
				angle = 35
				innerRadius = 1500
				outerRadius = 2800
				texture = Olei/PluginData/Niebos_ring.png
				color = 1,1,1,1
				lockRotation = true
				unlit = true
			}
		}
		Atmosphere
		{
			ambientColor = 0.781,0.882,0.697,1
			lightColor = 0.781,0.882,0.697,1
			enabled = true
			oxygen = true
			albedo = 0.2
			altitude = 60000.0
			staticPressureASL = 6
			
			pressureCurve
			{
				key = 0 6
				key = 1000 5.991
				key = 3000 5.9643 
				key = 5000 2.5584 
				key = 10000 1.9176 
				key = 20000 0.67089 
 				key = 30000 0.286917 
				key = 40000 0.1872768 
				key = 50000 0.0520956
				key = 60000 0 0 0
			}

			pressureCurveIsNormalized = false            
			temperatureSeaLevel = 24.7

			temperatureCurve
			{
				key = 0 24.7 0 -0.002938
				key = 20250 20 -0.0004149 -0.0004149
				key = 30000 15 0.0004149 0.0004149
				key = 40000 15 0.0002268 0.0002268
				key = 60000 15 0 0
			}

			temperatureCurveIsNormalized = false
			temperatureLapseRate = 0.0024
			temperatureSunMultCurve = true

			temperatureSunMultCurve
			{
				key = 0 0.5 0 0
				key = 30000 0 0 0
				key = 60000 1 0 0
			}
			temperatureLatitudeSunBiasCurve
			{
				key = 0 0 0 0
				key = 90 -6 0 0
			}

			temperatureLatitudeSunMultCurve
			{
				key = 0 5 0 0
				key = 90 0 0 0
			}

			temperatureEccentricityBiasCurve
			{
				key = 0 1.5 0 -3
				key = 1 -1.5 -3 0	
			}
            
            adiabaticIndex = 1.48
			gasMassLapseRate = 2.06477390407027
			atmosphereMolarMass = 0.0289644
		}
		ScaledVersion
        {
			type = Atmospheric
            Material
            {	
                texture = Olei/PluginData/Niebos_color.dds
				normals = Olei/PluginData/Niebos_normal.png
				rimPower = 2
				rimBlend = 0.3
				Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 0.9,0.9,1.0,1.0
					0.5 = 0.6,0.6,0.8,1.0
					0.9 = 0.3,0.3,0.4
					1.0 = 0.05,0.05,0.09,1.0
				}
            }
        }
		PQS
        {
			fadeStart = 140000
			fadeEnd = 280000
			deactivateAltitude = 281400
			materialType = AtmosphericExtra
			Material
			{
				saturation = 1
				contrast = 0.85
				tintColor = 1,1,1,0
				groundTexStart = 0
				groundTexEnd = 9000
				steepTexStart = 0
				steepTexEnd = 9000
				steepTex = CTTP/Textures/cliff
				steepBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/cliff_normal
				steepNearTiling = 2500
				steepTiling = 25
				lowTex = CTTP/Textures/beach
				lowBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/beach_normal
				lowNearTiling = 2500
				lowMultiFactor = 25
				lowBumpNearTiling = 2500
				lowBumpFarTiling = 25
				midTex = CTTP/Textures/sand
				midBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/sand_normal
				midNearTiling = 5000
				midMultiFactor = 50
				midBumpNearTiling = 5000
				midBumpFarTiling = 50
				highTex = CTTP/Textures/gravel
				highBumpMap = CTTP/Textures/gravel_normal
				highNearTiling = 5000
				highMultiFactor = 50
				highBumpNearTiling = 5000
				highBumpFarTiling = 50			
				lowStart = 0
				lowEnd = 0.25
				highStart = 0.35
				highEnd = 1
			}
            Mods
            {	
				VertexHeightMap
				{
					map = Olei/PluginData/Niebos_height.dds
					offset = -1200
					deformity = 4000
					scaleDeformityByRadius = False
					order = 10
					enabled = True
				}
				VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
				{
					seed = 1245333
					deformity = 350
					octaves = 1
					persistence = 0.65
					frequency = 24
					enabled = true
					order = 20
				}				
				VertexSimplexHeight
				{
					seed = 345324
					deformity = 400
					octaves = 1
					persistence = 0.65
					frequency = 14
					enabled = true
					order = 30
				}		
				VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2
				{
					deformity = 1800
					ridgedAddFrequency = 32
					ridgedAddLacunarity = 2
					ridgedAddOctaves = 2
					ridgedAddSeed = 456352342
					ridgedMode = Low
					ridgedSubFrequency = 32
					ridgedSubLacunarity = 2
					ridgedSubOctaves = 2
					ridgedSubSeed = 234311
					simplexFrequency = 26
					simplexHeightEnd = 6000
					simplexHeightStart = 0
					simplexOctaves = 2
					simplexPersistence = 0.5
					simplexSeed = 345463425
					order = 40
					enabled = True
					simplexCurve
					{
						key = 0 0 0 0
						key = 0.6311918 0.4490898 1.432598 1.432598
						key = 1 1 0 0
					}
				}
				VertexColorMap
				{
					map = Olei/PluginData/Niebos_color.dds
					order = 60
					enabled = True
				}
			}
        }
		Ocean
		{
			maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
			minLevel = 2
			maxLevel = 16
			minDetailDistance = 16
			oceanColor = 0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 1.0
			Material
			{
				colorFromSpace = 0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 1.0
				color = 0.1, 0.3, 0.3, 1.0
			}
			FallbackMaterial
			{
				colorFromSpace = 0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 1.0
				color = 0.1, 0.3, 0.3, 1.0
			}
			Mods
			{
				AerialPerspectiveMaterial
				{
					globalDensity = -0.00001
					heightFalloff = 6.75
					atmosphereDepth = 150000
					DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
					cameraAlt = 0
					cameraAtmosAlt = 0
					heightDensAtViewer = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
				OceanFX
				{
					Watermain
					{
						waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
						waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
						waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
						waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
						waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
						waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
						waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
						waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
					}
					framesPerSecond = 1
					spaceAltitude = 150000
					blendA = 0
					blendB = 0
					texBlend = 0
					angle = 0
					specColor = 0.0,0.0,-1,1
					oceanOpacity = 0
					spaceSurfaceBlend = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
				Fog
				{
					fogColorEnd = 0.1, 0.3, 0.3, 1.0
					fogColorStart = 0.1, 0.3, 0.3, 1.0
					skyColorOpacityBase = 0.7
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gamel0rd1 that's odd. I cant spot anything wrong with it. Do you have the same problem with other atmospheric planets that you make? Also, for better atmosphere and temperature curves: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x6GPgX_luEm6DP48XH9hM2W4OhUKAKd4fnL5eFJZs8s/edit#gid=1099932102

I don't actually know who made the calculator, but it's real helpful!

EDIT: Here's the actual link to the calculator: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x6GPgX_luEm6DP48XH9hM2W4OhUKAKd4fnL5eFJZs8s

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@Gamel0rd1 that's odd. I cant spot anything wrong with it. Do you have the same problem with other atmospheric planets that you make? Also, for better atmosphere and temperature curves: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x6GPgX_luEm6DP48XH9hM2W4OhUKAKd4fnL5eFJZs8s/edit#gid=1099932102

I don't actually know who made the calculator, but it's real helpful!

EDIT: Here's the actual link to the calculator: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x6GPgX_luEm6DP48XH9hM2W4OhUKAKd4fnL5eFJZs8s

I'll assume it is an atmosphere curve issue. Maybe Pressure ASL has something to do with it? Thanks for taking a look, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to reduce the distance at which I see the ghosts and flares from Valentine? I'm not sure if its the intended effect but I'm able to see them from Kerbin, and whenever I look in the stars general direction the screen will tint red even though I don't seem to be able to see the star itself, just the effects. I've messed with some of the configs in the EVO folder, but to no avail. I'm wary to tamper with things any further without getting the opinion of people who know what they're doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Intel48 said:

Is there a way to reduce the distance at which I see the ghosts and flares from Valentine? I'm not sure if its the intended effect but I'm able to see them from Kerbin, and whenever I look in the stars general direction the screen will tint red even though I don't seem to be able to see the star itself, just the effects. I've messed with some of the configs in the EVO folder, but to no avail. I'm wary to tamper with things any further without getting the opinion of people who know what they're doing.

What version of scatterer are you using? This was fixed in version 0.0300 of scatterer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was looking through the available Final Frontier ribbons in my game with this installed, and only the Deep Space Ribbon mentions it at all. Would it be possible to have the standard "Landed on X" and/or EVA assortment that goes with all the stock planets for each of these? If you're looking for a hand, I think I could easily get to photoshopping those from the existing textures based on the colors of your planets/moons. I also have no idea if that's allowed since I'm not the creator of that mod. But anyway, offer's there if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smokytehbear said:

So I was looking through the available Final Frontier ribbons in my game with this installed, and only the Deep Space Ribbon mentions it at all. Would it be possible to have the standard "Landed on X" and/or EVA assortment that goes with all the stock planets for each of these? If you're looking for a hand, I think I could easily get to photoshopping those from the existing textures based on the colors of your planets/moons. I also have no idea if that's allowed since I'm not the creator of that mod. But anyway, offer's there if you want.

If you could do that for me, that would be great!. I'm pretty sure its completely allowed to do so as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already about 75% of the way through it actually. Should be shipping the images off to you by the end of the day. Made a template and all so now its just palette-swapping. I'm planning on following Nereid's lead and just making essentially an icon for everything on each body, if I'm even slightly unsure. So you might wind up with an Atmosphere on Maol ribbon, but who knows, you might end up needing it some day.

Anyway, I don't know jack about programming but I get the impression it's almost just plug and go with the mod to support planet packs, just because of how KSP handles the planetary data logs. If you'd like I can look into the implementation as well though. Cheers.

A quick screenshot for some examples, from left to right: First EVA in orbit of Valentine, put station in orbit around Lomina, and planted flag on Solyth's moon Semth:

70e39ffac80dc94946fb572deac39fad.png

 

Starts to get a tiny bit busy there at the end, but overall I think it looks pretty congruent with the regular ribbons they already have. Also to note, although many of the planets in the system are comparatively dark, most of the ribbon colors are closer to that of Valentine's not the other two. I guess I chose bad examples. Anyway, should be finished with all the photoshopping shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's the basic set, starting with Valentine out to the farthest satellite with moons accompanying their respective planets:

8IXPdAO.jpg

 

Just in case I screwed up the order, from top to bottom, left to right:

Valentine, Heba, Serex, Vedre, Solyth, Hauna, Semth, Fust, Mir, Lomina, Maol, Javine, Deemo, and finally Ucella

I made a few brightness changes to make the center mark easier to spot, giving it some distinction from the stock planet ribbons at a quick glance. I mean, if you go this far... that should be slightly more noteworthy than just flying to Minmus. Also made Valentine brighter in general but I still feel it may be too empty. I don't know, I'll consider like a central starburst or some other flourish to make it fancier, or it could just also have the same Valentine system marker like all the others.

Let me know what you think of the palette in general. Would like to finalize the appropriate colors before moving on to the pins and making a final, PNG for each one for the game.

With pins being the next step, I suppose it's also appropriate to ask if there's any special requests for unique missions. I know FF has a "Close Solar Orbit" for Kerbol and a "Deep Atmosphere" for Jool. No reason we couldn't do copies of exactly those for their counterparts here. If anything else comes to mind, like a depth record below sea level on one of the worlds with liquids present, or maybe one with a giant mountain if there is one, just let me know and I'll make the pin for it.

Edit: So a proposed centerpiece for the actual Valentine orbital ribbons: a small bright red push pin accessory

4cf72fd7040b1944cc8e2ea2c6a61192.png

If it's that good even, could replace the previous stripe design with this for all of them. Just not sure how I feel personally.

Edited by smokytehbear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE FOR EXTRASOLAR (March 6, 20167)

It honestly took me longer than it should have to get this update up. It was just kind of sitting in my GameData folder and I hadn't gotten to posting it. Some nice smaller things in this update. Here's the list:

  • Tweaked some textures
  • Improved Ucella texture
  • Final Frontier support curtesy of @smokytehbear

Thanks a lot @smokytehbear for helping out a little with this mod! :D Your help is greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbing it NOW!  Thanks again @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures!  My career save is slogging along, slowly, ever so slowly towards the planets outside of Kerbin's SOI.  Maybe some day "SoonTM" I'll update my mission report thread with some new pics.  The astronomers at the various observatories are completely enraptured by the first very grainy photos coming back from the Fungeye Telescope of the Valentine system!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, thanks for the great mod.

I was trying to use this mod with Galileo's Planet Pack and everything is working fine except sun flares:

f5186Xy.png

I've traced the problem to scatterer configs for Extrasolar. Galileo's Planets Pack distributes its own version of scatterer, and although I'm not familiar with transformations for module manager, it seems that Extrasolar overrides default scatterer config completely rather than insert its own bodies. I think I can edit EVO_planetList.cfg, but I there is something I don't understand. Why does Extrasolar edit Sun's flares too? Shouldn't they be part default scatterer config?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shiolle said:

First of all, thanks for the great mod.

I was trying to use this mod with Galileo's Planet Pack and everything is working fine except sun flares:

f5186Xy.png

I've traced the problem to scatterer configs for Extrasolar. Galileo's Planets Pack distributes its own version of scatterer, and although I'm not familiar with transformations for module manager, it seems that Extrasolar overrides default scatterer config completely rather than insert its own bodies. I think I can edit EVO_planetList.cfg, but I there is something I don't understand. Why does Extrasolar edit Sun's flares too? Shouldn't they be part default scatterer config?

GPP and extrasolar use 2 different versions of scatterer. Do not mix them or things will not work. Doesn't matter what you change in the cfgs. 

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Galileo said:

GPP and extrasolar use 2 different versions of scatterer. Do not mix them or things will not work. Doesn't matter what you change in the cfgs. 

Thank you for the answer. What I have in mind is to make valid scatterer configs for GPP's version of scatterer for Extrasolar bodies. I don't think I need to edit individual planet configs, am I? So the task is then limited to making compatible planet list and sunflares configs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shiolle said:

Thank you for the answer. What I have in mind is to make valid scatterer configs for GPP's version of scatterer for Extrasolar bodies. I don't think I need to edit individual planet configs, am I? So the task is then limited to making compatible planet list and sunflares configs.

Not possible. The latest version of scatterer which Extrasolar uses allowed the creation of scatterer configs for planets in other star systems. Therefore, any earlier versions of scatterer cannot work with Extrasolar. I'm assuming the scatterer version that's packaged with GPP is v0.0256?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.