[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Andi K.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Consider it:

btw I have seen better ones, could be RSS where the most work was put into it ...

That's really odd that the clouds are doing that.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures just wanted to say thank you for making this awesome mod! I haven't actually made it out to Valentine in my current playthrough just yet (and might not for a while yet) but I did a quick hyperedit to 1 or 2 planets in my test save to make sure the visuals were working (they look gorgeous!) and that scansat works (it does). 

Any tips for a newb on how to get out there? Interstellar looks like its more than just parts and comes with a whole raft of additional gameplay mechanics so I would prefer something simpler... the Orion looks interesting. Do you do a hohmann transfer or is an Expanse style Brachistochrone trajectory possible with Orion?

@Gordon Dry I had the same cloud issue in 1.4.2 although fairly rarely usually when returning from a moon at high time warp to Kerbin. This was with both scaterrer and EVE/SVE installed but before I installed Extra Solar. Havent had it happen recently on 1.4.3 with the latest versions of EVE and Scatterer installed (with Extra Solar) but it may still be lurking. I suspect EVE issue?

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Any tips for a newb on how to get out there? Interstellar looks like its more than just parts and comes with a whole raft of additional gameplay mechanics so I would prefer something simpler... the Orion looks interesting. Do you do a hohmann transfer or is an Expanse style Brachistochrone trajectory possible with Orion?

Don't do a hohmann transfer. That'll take way too long. Brachistochrone trajectories are the way to go. Like you said, the Orion nuclear pulse engines are good for this. You can also try out near future propulsion but those engines are weaker I'm pretty sure.

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

I suspect EVE issue?

That's what that looks like. If the problem was there before installing Extrasolar, it doesn't look like that's a problem with Extrasolar.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures 

First off, amazing planet/star pack. It is simply stunning. Although I am having a few issues regarding its textures.

The clouds are loading in the stock system just fine, however they are not loading with the Valentine system, and the surface textures seem dulled down. 

The second and more interesting issue I've had is that Mir's ocean doesn't load at sea level, rather about 25 kilometers up. When I fly into it I simply pass right through, and can see the normal ground underneath, just without an ocean around it.

Have I installed something wrong? I am playing on version 1.4.3

8uvcMqZ.png

6lfantY.png

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Brachistochrone trajectories are the way to go.

Long before I ever heard that word I just came to the conclusion that this would be a great way to achieve artificial 1 G for a manned ship - but the drawback is that accelerating can not be too long.

For a few months it's okay to constantly accelerate with 1 G (so like ~1.0 TWR), but then it's approaching the speed of light more and more and the amount of energy/fuel to be used to stay on that level of acceleration becomes really huge.

So for a "short" interplanetary trip this is a good way to go.
(I also had brainstorming daydreams how it would be like when after a few weeks of accelerating the whole crew and passengers with children go into "zero G rotate to retrograde and continue burn" mode for a few minutes.)

For interstellar it's to much acceleration because it's too much time to burn, so rotating ring habitats are needed - huge ones to avoid the discrepancy between head G and feet G :D

These could be combined:

• 1 G habitats for burns
  • 0 G habitats in a rotating ring for the coast between burns
  • when the whole journey is very long then it's okay when the 1 G habitats are provisional (could also be like quarantine), the ring habitats are the main ones to be used for months / years / decades (yeah, well)

Edited by Gordon Dry

55 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures 

First off, amazing planet/star pack. It is simply stunning. Although I am having a few issues regarding its textures.

The clouds are loading in the stock system just fine, however they are not loading with the Valentine system, and the surface textures seem dulled down. 

The second and more interesting issue I've had is that Mir's ocean doesn't load at sea level, rather about 25 kilometers up. When I fly into it I simply pass right through, and can see the normal ground underneath, just without an ocean around it.

Have I installed something wrong? I am playing on version 1.4.3

8uvcMqZ.png

6lfantY.png

For the first issue, can I see your gamedata folder just to make sure everything is installed properly? Also, for the second issue, Mir doesnt even have an ocean so that's odd that you're seeing one. Can you put a screenshot of the ocean you are seeing?

Also, what version if Extrasolar are you using?

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I just found the configs that define the radioation magnetospheres for celestial bodies in Kerbalism. :D

Actually I don't have Kerbalism installed but want to try it again when 1.6.0 rls comes out.

So, for example this is the config for OPM:
GameData\Kerbalism\Support\OPM.cfg

// ============================================================================
// Radiation environments for OPM bodies

RadiationBody:NEEDS[OPM]
{
  name = Sarnus
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 150
  radiation_outer = 5
  radiation_pause = -0.011
}

{
  name = Urlum
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 75
  radiation_outer = 4
  radiation_pause = -0.008
}

{
  name = Neidon
  radiation_model = giant
  radiation_inner = 50
  radiation_outer = 3.5
  radiation_pause = -0.007
}

{
  name = Tekto
  radiation_model = ionosphere
  radiation_pause = -0.005
}

{
  name = Karen
  radiation_model = irregular
  radiation_pause = -0.002
}

// Tweak heliopause

@RadiationModel[heliopause]:NEEDS[OPM]
{
  @pause_radius = 4000.0
  @pause_quality = 0.02
}

// Tweak antennas

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Antenna]]:NEEDS[OPM,FeatureSignal]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[Antenna]:HAS[#type[high_gain]]
  {
    @dist *= 4.0
  }
}

// GeigerCounter science experiment definitions

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[geigerCounter]]:NEEDS[OPM]
{
  @RESULTS
  {
    SarnusFlyingLow = You go to check the Geiger count- HOLY SH- <KSC regrets to inform you that the rest of the report is not available>
    SarnusFlyingHigh = It appears that this time you only have grown half an eye. Improvement!
    SarnusInSpaceLow = KSC has decided to accept your reading of 'less cancer than Jool' as an acceptable level of radiation.
    SarnusInSpaceHigh = Early predictions of conditions closer to Sarnus indicate that the radiation will be slightly less than Jool. Slightly being the key word.
    HaleSrfLanded = Such a small body amidst Sarnus' intense radiation belt has had strange effects on the little moon's surface. But god damn its hard to land on this thing.
    HaleInSpaceLow = Hale has no effect on the intense radiation belt Sarnus possesses. Radiation seems to pass right through the moon.
    HaleInSpaceHigh = The view of Sarnus' majestic rings cause you to forget to check the Geiger counter. KSC seems to have forgotten too.
    OvokSrfLanded = Ovok's sparse, icy surface absorbs ionised isotopes from Sarnus' magnetosphere very willingly.
    OvokInSpaceLow = This strange moon's surface reflects X-Rays from Sarnus' magnetosphere.
    OvokInSpaceHigh = Space around Ovok is filled with charged particles. R&D is investigating a possible use for them.
    SlateSrfLanded = It seems that Slate might actually have a feeble magnetosphere! If only we could strengthen it...
    SlateInSpaceLow = The ions left behind here are the same as what was found in Sarnus' rings!
    SlateInSpaceHigh = Previously, R&D proposed that Slate lost its atmosphere to radiation. These results have validated this theory.
    @EelooSrfLanded = You could have sworn you detected large amounts of interstellar radiation last time a radiation scan was done.
    @EelooInSpaceLow = The Geiger counter has detached itself from the wall and has began dancing. KSC assures you it's just a symptom of radiation exposure.
    @EelooInSpaceHigh = KSC says Eeloo sits between Sarnus' inner and outer radiation belt, so it receives slightly less radiation. Your hairloss says differently.
    TektoSrfLanded = Tekto's surface radiation levels are nearly as low as Kerbin!
    TektoFlyingLow = The atmosphere of Tekto is remarkably good at shielding the surface from radiation. The is likely due to high pressure and composition.
    TektoFlyingHigh = Sarnus' magnetosphere ionises Tekto's think atmosphere in strange ways.
    TektoInSpaceLow = The beautiful scenic views of Sarnus and Titan temporarily cease R&D's insistence on checking the Geiger counter.
    TektoInSpaceHigh = Sarnus' radiation influence has dropped to a lower than expected level.
    UrlumFlyingLow = Urlum has a strange convective fluid in it's lower atmosphere that disrupts the magnetosphere.
    UrlumFlyingHigh = The internal dynamo of Urlum is very different from other gas giants. R&D wants to further study this, but you just want to get back to Kerbin.
    UrlumInSpaceLow = The detected magnetosphere of Urlum is relatively low for a gas giant. It will still give you cancer on your cancer though...
    UrlumInSpaceHigh = Interestingly, Urlum's magnetosphere is tilted away from the axis of rotation.
    PoltaSrfLanded = You remember the poor soul who tried to eat Minmus' surface and quickly died from radiation poisoning. But it looks so tasty...
    PoltaInSpaceLow = Like Minmus, Polta appears to have a significant concentration of radioactive heavy metals in it's crust.
    PoltaInSpaceHigh = Radiation levels have been steadily rising as you get closer to Polta.
    PriaxSrfLaned = At the distance from Urlum Priax is, it should be receiving much higher radiation levels.
    PriaxInSpaceLow = Priax's leading side receives significantly more radiation than it's trailing side. Wonder why...
    PriaxInSpaceHigh = Urlum's variable magnetosphere means that the radiation levels on Priax vary at different point in it's (and Polta's) orbit.
    WalSrfLanded = Wal being so far away from Urlum receives next to no radiation from the gas giant. But by the same reason, it receives much more interplanetary radiation.
    WalInSpaceLow = As you pass orbit Wal, you detect a sudden surge of radiation, the source which seems to also orbit Wal.
    WalInSpaceHigh = Urlum's magnetosphere barely has a presence here!
    TalSrfLanded = Tal's heavy metal composition is more than a quarter radioactive metals!
    TalInSpaceLow = The radiation originating from Tal is the highest ever recorded originating from a terrestrial planet.
    TalInSpaceHigh = With a sudden shock, you realise that the intense source of radiation is Tal, owing to it's heavy metal composition.
    NeidonFlyingLow = You are just happy this is the last gas planet you have to do this for. And the last time you will be exposed to so much cancer causing radiation.
    NeidonFlyingHigh = Neidon's magnetosphere is even more disrupted than Urlum's. R&D says this will contribute to finding out the composition of Neidon. Somehow.
    NeidonInSpaceLow = You wistfully remember the days on Kerbin, where you didn't get exposed to nuclear war level radiation daily.
    NeidonInSpaceHigh = Neidon has an even more tilted magnetosphere than Urlum. It's also weaker than originally expected.
    ThatmoSrfLanded = Thatmo's surface receives less radiation than previously expected. But it's still a significant amount.
    ThatmoFlyingLow = You are to busy trying to keep yourself in the air to check the Geiger counter. KSC is not impressed.
    ThatmoFlyingHigh = Thatmo's atmosphere is so thin that it has next to no effect on the surrounding radiation.
    ThatmoInSpaceLow = Thatmo receives varying radiation levels as it completes it's orbit, due to Neidon's varying magnetosphere.
    ThatmoInSpaceHigh = Maybe it was a bad idea to power the Geiger counter using solar panels.
    NisseeSrfLanded = The fluctuating radiation levels combined with Nissee's naturally radioactive surface lead to a radiation heavy environment.
    NisseeInSpaceLow = You begin detecting radiation sources all over Nissee's surface. KSC warns against landing on any of them.
    NisseeInSpaceHigh = R&D hypothesises than Nissee, because of it's eccentric orbit and Neidon's axial tilt, will have extremely varying radiation levels.
    PlockSrfLanded = Plock's surface composition has been scared by the interstellar radiation it receives.
    PlockInSpaceLow = The radiation signature of Kerbol is barely stronger than the millions of other stars you are enthralled with.
    PlockInSpaceHigh = As Kerbol's influence weakens, interstellar radiation becomes much more pronounced. The secrets of the galaxy lay open to you.
    KarenSrfLanded = The surface of Karen is seeded with radioactive interstellar particles. You are stunned by the distance they would have had to have travelled.
    KarenInSpaceLow = This far from Kerbol, you can detect interstellar radiation so easily you can pin-point stars Kerbals had yet to discover.
    KarenInSpaceHigh = The Barycentre of the Plock-Karen system has a tiny amount of radioactive gas orbiting it. Weird.
  }
} 

Could you provide one for ExtraSolar?

Edited by Gordon Dry

3 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

For the first issue, can I see your gamedata folder just to make sure everything is installed properly? Also, for the second issue, Mir doesnt even have an ocean so that's odd that you're seeing one. Can you put a screenshot of the ocean you are seeing?

Also, what version if Extrasolar are you using?

My bad, I meant to say Fust instead of Mir. I am using version 1.7.3. Here is a picture of the ocean of Fust appearing nearly 25 kilometers up.

8uvcMqZ.png

NRwyHjK.png

On 5/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@JacobJHC Those were problems that were fixed in 1.7.5! Install 1.7.5 and see if you still have those problems.

I installed 1.7.5 and all the atmospheric effects work now but there still isn't clouds anywhere in the Valentine system. Is there a separate mod for the clouds?

On 5/16/2018 at 2:38 PM, JacobJHC said:

I installed 1.7.5 and all the atmospheric effects work now but there still isn't clouds anywhere in the Valentine system. Is there a separate mod for the clouds?

Can I see your gamedata folder again?

@JacobJHC ExteraSolar got it's own visuals, also for the stock system. So you should remove StockVisualEnhancements.

Edit:

Ouch! And you only need one ModuleManager.dll - the latest one is 3.0.7.

Perhaps you only need to do that and just stick with SVE.

Edited by Gordon Dry

6 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@JacobJHC ExteraSolar got it's own visuals, also for the stock system. So you should remove StockVisualEnhancements.

Just gave that a shot and without StockVisialEnhancements none of the atmospheric effects load

4 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Just gave that a shot and without StockVisialEnhancements none of the atmospheric effects load

When you remove SVE then you must add the folder Extrasolar_SVO.

btw I use it without scatterer because that's just a performance killer on my rig which is not really a potato but also not really new.

Edited by Gordon Dry

4 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

When you remove SVE then you must add the folder Extrasolar_SVO.

THANK YOU!! I've been trying to make a video using the mod and now it works. Thanks!

Anyone else having valentine-related contracts immediately after the minmus ones?

I dont have any mods changing my contracts (like contract manager) as far as i know.

Edited by Boozdeuvash
and, i'm a dumbass

12 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Boozdeuvash me, too - but I got ContractConfigurator

You mean i can solve the issue with Contract Configurator?

Edith: I solved the issue by removing Kopernicus, I dont even know why it was in my gamedata. Maybe a dependancy for something else, I suppose my game will suffer a fatal error somewhere down the line haha.

Edited by Boozdeuvash

On 5/27/2018 at 2:12 PM, Boozdeuvash said:

You mean i can solve the issue with Contract Configurator?

Edith: I solved the issue by removing Kopernicus, I dont even know why it was in my gamedata. Maybe a dependancy for something else, I suppose my game will suffer a fatal error somewhere down the line haha. 

By removing Kopernicus you will suffer catastrophic failure on all of your planet pack mods.

They won't even load.

Kopernicus is the dependency of those mods, include Extrasolar.

On 5/28/2018 at 2:13 PM, Iso-Polaris said:

Kopernicus is the dependency of those mods, include Extrasolar.

You sure about this? I'm not seeing it as a listed dependancy, or in the the ZIP. That's the first thing I checked.

5 hours ago, Boozdeuvash said:

You sure about this? I'm not seeing it as a listed dependancy, or in the the ZIP. That's the first thing I checked.

Every planet pack got Kopernicus as dependency. Kopernicus is the mod that made it possible to even think about creating planet packs.

Check the files inside Extrasolar, open any config and the chance that the first line starts with

@Kopernicus

is really high :P

But, @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures - you should mention it.