AndrewDraws

[1.6.0] Extrasolar v1.8.0 [12/21/18]

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ABZB said:

Is this compatible with Outer Planets Mod (OPM)?

It seems to be. Just played around with it the last hour and i had no issues at all (except for the clouds but that seems to be a work in progress, and a submod anyway).

 

Very nice mod, just what the doctor ordered to pass the time until 1.1 arrives. Should be quite the challenge for a career with life support.

There is one thing that really bugs me tough: The orbit of Solyth and Fust, just because the innermore is the ice planet. I have no problem switching their orbits in the config, just thought i leave that as a suggestion. And if you have smth clever to explain that (like "nuclear winter" from the mentioned asteroid impact) just ignore this ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elpollodiablo said:

It seems to be. Just played around with it the last hour and i had no issues at all (except for the clouds but that seems to be a work in progress, and a submod anyway).

 

Very nice mod, just what the doctor ordered to pass the time until 1.1 arrives. Should be quite the challenge for a career with life support.

There is one thing that really bugs me tough: The orbit of Solyth and Fust, just because the innermore is the ice planet. I have no problem switching their orbits in the config, just thought i leave that as a suggestion. And if you have smth clever to explain that (like "nuclear winter" from the mentioned asteroid impact) just ignore this ;)

Solyth is not an ice planet. The texturing is clearly the color of sand and not white like ice. I have no idea, but your monitor might make solyth more white than it actually is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 21, 2016 at 4:53 PM, paul6334 said:

I dragged the "Extrasolar" folder (stock scale) into my gamedata folder, but I cannot find the new system in the tracking station.

Zoom waaaaaaaaaaay out... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, underscoreshmm said:

can you add like a brown dwarf? It'll be very interesting.

I've thought about that. The thing is, I'm not sure how to go about making it look enough like a gas giant while still making look enough like a star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.2.2016 at 9:57 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Solyth is not an ice planet. The texturing is clearly the color of sand and not white like ice. I have no idea, but your monitor might make solyth more white than it actually is.

The assembly of my mission is still underway, so i haven't seen it from the surface. But my Astrokerbalists swear that it still looks rather white trough their telescopes.

Might be a light related issue (im using EVE and KSPRC)? Anyway, ice or sand planet, it looks gorgeous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can some one please tell me where is this red dwarf star located in the kerbin system?is beyond jool or before?

and if beyond how far compare to opm?i got opm 3.2 scale mod installed,and i dont know if i should add this mod also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Proteus said:

can some one please tell me where is this red dwarf star located in the kerbin system?is beyond jool or before?

and if beyond how far compare to opm?i got opm 3.2 scale mod installed,and i dont know if i should add this mod also

It's way beyond, by about 1/2 a ly

I have no idea, I don't have the full game yet, just the demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Proteus said:

can some one please tell me where is this red dwarf star located in the kerbin system?is beyond jool or before?

and if beyond how far compare to opm?i got opm 3.2 scale mod installed,and i dont know if i should add this mod also

Any planet pack should work with Extrasolar. Valentine orbits so ridiculously far away that even with scale mods, opm should work.

 

3 hours ago, elpollodiablo said:

The assembly of my mission is still underway, so i haven't seen it from the surface. But my Astrokerbalists swear that it still looks rather white trough their telescopes.

Might be a light related issue (im using EVE and KSPRC)? Anyway, ice or sand planet, it looks gorgeous.

Thanks :)

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This mod is looking really nice! Also, I found a gas giant similar to Lomina in Space Engine that has two moons resembling Javine and Deemo! I haven't found anything like that anywhere else in the galaxy.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah I see, requires Kopernicus too.

Edited by nli2work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't suppose anyone might have an interstellar craft link that I can look at?  Not completely understanding how I get from Kerbin to Valentine with both dV and real time.  Thanks.

Edited by gamerscircle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I don't suppose anyone might have an interstellar craft link that I can look at?  Not completely understand how I get from Kerbin to Valentine with both dV and real time.  Thanks.

Yeah, i played around with the numbers using the transfer window planner and finally said nope, either gonna take thousands of years, or millions of delta v.  Im guessing you would need a warp drive.  Maybe you could build a huge mothership with hundreds of kerbals and freeze them for the trip, and build everything you need once you get there with a mod like EL.  I might have to try it again...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some ideas I have that could be added. The ideas are: White holes, black holes, and possibly another solar system in the future (future development, not time) of earth and its solar system, or a solar system (also future development) that is being developed, like a bunch of asteroids that are rich in resources orbiting a star. I am not expecting any of these to actually be added but hey, it is just an idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! For all of those artists out there, I have a challenge for you. I want you guys to try to make an updated banner and logo for Extrasolar and RSS Extrasolar! Send me a PM with the banner and logo you designed and whichever one I think is the best will be selected to be used on both of my mods (make sure to make one for both). As usual, I will give credit where credit is due. Have fun! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I know that Valentine is .05 lightyears from Kerbol... Still have no idea how that relates to scale. I think that's why people have asked for the distance in AU (Kerbin to Kerbol), so they can understand the scale as an "n" times further than Kerbin is to the sun frame of reference. With stock KSP having no time delays with distance, and measuring everything in metrics of meters, It's not remotely possible to generate a clear frame of reference without whipping out a calculator and looking up some values...

So... If 0.05 Lightyears = 473037 Gm, and Kerbin is 13.6 Gm from Kerbol... Valentine is 34782 Kerbin AU from Kerbol. Dayum! Add another zero for RSS. :0.0:

Anotehr issue I have seen in planet packs, is solar power. Most packs like OPM require fuel cells or RTGs, since solar energy is nil passed Jool. The question is, does your mod allow solar panels to generate solar power with Valentine as a frame of reference? Does the red shifted spectrum affect solar efficiency, if solar power generation does work off of Valentine?

... Still wanna do a conventional propulsion mission, since it sounds like Squad has stomped the 32-bit signed integer bug for rendering time passed 233 Kerbin years! :sticktongue:
That might drive me crazy though... witht he exception of my very first sandbox game, I no longer warp for the sake of expediting large transfer windows. I have always restricted myself to only time warping in system (Kerbin to mun or minmus, Duna to Ike, Etc). I just run moar missions simultaneously while I wait for stuff to get places! I think the longest span I have ever time warped in my last save was 14 days! No really... I might go crazy waiting! :confused:

Edited by richfiles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think RSS is 10x bigger. I think... 64K is apparently not in reference to the game engine and CPU bit width or memory addressability... LOL, when I see 64k, for some reason it makes me think 64 bit. :rolleyes: Instead, apparently it's a reference to a 6.4x larger than stock scale... It's... confusing... :confused:

All I know, is I run stock scale.

Edited by richfiles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

What's the difference between the stock and realistic scale? Is realistic for 64k?

Okay. There is RSS Extrasolar, realistic scale, and stock scale. RSS Extrasolar is a completely different mod. Realistic scale works well with 64K or the 10x Kerbol System mod. Stock scale is just for the normal Kerbol System without any scaling mods installed. Does that clear things up a little? I think I've found a way to add support for 64K so I'll try that out and release an update if it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2016 at 4:55 PM, richfiles said:

So, I know that Valentine is .05 lightyears from Kerbol... Still have no idea how that relates to scale. I think that's why people have asked for the distance in AU (Kerbin to Kerbol), so they can understand the scale as an "n" times further than Kerbin is to the sun frame of reference. With stock KSP having no time delays with distance, and measuring everything in metrics of meters, It's not remotely possible to generate a clear frame of reference without whipping out a calculator and looking up some values...

So... If 0.05 Lightyears = 473037 Gm, and Kerbin is 13.6 Gm from Kerbol... Valentine is 34782 Kerbin AU from Kerbol. Dayum! Add another zero for RSS. :0.0:

Anotehr issue I have seen in planet packs, is solar power. Most packs like OPM require fuel cells or RTGs, since solar energy is nil passed Jool. The question is, does your mod allow solar panels to generate solar power with Valentine as a frame of reference? Does the red shifted spectrum affect solar efficiency, if solar power generation does work off of Valentine?

... Still wanna do a conventional propulsion mission, since it sounds like Squad has stomped the 32-bit signed integer bug for rendering time passed 233 Kerbin years! :sticktongue:
That might drive me crazy though... witht he exception of my very first sandbox game, I no longer warp for the sake of expediting large transfer windows. I have always restricted myself to only time warping in system (Kerbin to mun or minmus, Duna to Ike, Etc). I just run moar missions simultaneously while I wait for stuff to get places! I think the longest span I have ever time warped in my last save was 14 days! No really... I might go crazy waiting! :confused:

Yes solar panels do work around Valentine. The solar energy is slightly lower than than Kerbol, but maybe it's a bit high. I'm using somebody else's solar power curve values, as I do not have a calculator to determine the different values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2016 at 9:39 PM, eberkain said:

Yeah, i played around with the numbers using the transfer window planner and finally said nope, either gonna take thousands of years, or millions of delta v.  Im guessing you would need a warp drive.  Maybe you could build a huge mothership with hundreds of kerbals and freeze them for the trip, and build everything you need once you get there with a mod like EL.  I might have to try it again...

 

There' a reason you may need the Nuclear rockets mod :)

Here's a link for more info :)http://ansnuclearcafe.org/2013/03/27/nuclear-pulse-propulsion-gateway-to-the-stars/

Nuclear pulse propulsion ftw!!

Edited by Spaceception

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Okay. There is RSS Extrasolar, realistic scale, and stock scale. RSS Extrasolar is a completely different mod. Realistic scale works well with 64K or the 10x Kerbol System mod. Stock scale is just for the normal Kerbol System without any scaling mods installed. Does that clear things up a little? I think I've found a way to add support for 64K so I'll try that out and release an update if it works.

Yes it does, and I'm running extrasolar (the kerbin version) realistic scale with 64k and it seems to be working correctly to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw your mod was on KottabosGames, good job! I wouldn't expect him to view this mod since it is a planet pack and he has done plenty of them in the past if I recall correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.