Video capture software

Okay.  I know windows 10 has a gameplay recording feature which I have played with a bit and so far it works fine. So no problem there. 

What I want to ask though is... Is there a way, or is there some software available, that can record the gameplay, but not the UI?  So I can play as normal and record it, but not have the navball etc visible on the recorded footage even though I had it visible while playing.

30 minutes ago, *Aqua* said:

No.
Video capture software usually only reads the output buffer of your graphics card. The image in there has already the HUD painted onto it.

31 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Afraid not.  This would have to be built in to the game or a mod.  There is no way a video capture program could it.

I thought that might be the case, but it was worth asking.

Thanks very much for your replies.

I take it that toggling off the game UI via F2 isn't an option here?

That would give you exactly what it sounds like you're looking for... the only drawback being that you'll be "flying blind" without any UI to guide you.  Not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

I take it that toggling off the game UI via F2 isn't an option here?

That would give you exactly what it sounds like you're looking for... the only drawback being that you'll be "flying blind" without any UI to guide you.  Not sure if that's a deal-breaker or not.

That is exactly what he wanted to avoid as I understood it.

Or you could try using a multi-screen mod such as http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69089-stand-alone-map-view-multi-monitor-ksp-105plugin/

From what I've gathered from that and other threads, creating a multi-screen mode is not easy and the results are not perfect. Depending on the way it is implemented, it may be very difficult to capture video from one screen. If it does work, though, you should be able to find a way to turn the navball off on the "outside" view.

10 hours ago, Alshain said:

That is exactly what he wanted to avoid as I understood it.

Well, just checking.  Couldn't tell from the original post, when he said "even though the navball was visible," whether he meant "I know I can turn it off but I want it visible for playing purposes," or whether he didn't know it's turn-offable and meant "visible because I have no other choice."

Figured he probably knows it can be turned off, but it's worth a sanity check.  It's surprising how long one can play KSP without being aware of some of the features in the game.

I use Fraps and MechJeb to capture cinematic shots. 

My wish is for someway to have every camera I put on my craft to record its own video feed individually. This way I can combine it all afterwards. 

Documenting your stuff is fun. But when you start reverting launches just to capture a certain shot is when the fun fades fast. I need a way to record everything I'd ever need in one go.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Yes, I was hoping for something that would let me play with the UI visible, but have it not show on the recording.  I figured if there was something out there then it would be quite 'high end' at least, but thought I'd ask anyway - nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'm not planning on doing anything serious, I just figured it would be fun to play around with filming some of my projects as they happen, then edit and save them for posterity, and have them look a little better, so it's not worth a lot of hassle setting up mods and systems that would allow it.  I have played a bit without the UI, out of interest to see what it's like, and it's viable for some simple things.  If I ever want to do anything more 'properly' then I'll look at MJ etc.

Cheers

Pandaman

On 1/25/2016 at 10:44 AM, Snark said:

Well, just checking.  Couldn't tell from the original post, when he said "even though the navball was visible," whether he meant "I know I can turn it off but I want it visible for playing purposes," or whether he didn't know it's turn-offable and meant "visible because I have no other choice."

Figured he probably knows it can be turned off, but it's worth a sanity check.  It's surprising how long one can play KSP without being aware of some of the features in the game.

I've been playing for 2 years and just found the F2 feature about a month ago. :)

I also found out how to do the unlimited fuels from a Scott Manley video about 6 months ago.

Doesn't something like Telemachus allow you to post some of the info to a second monitor via a webserver? I thought I also remember someone trying to make a glass-cockpit tablet app that would accomplish much the same thing.

not sure it would be fast enough to emulate the navball, but if you're creative you might be able to get enough info to fly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.