Psst- wanna see something stupid?

Dman979

So, I was Googling rocket trajectories for the Real Space Program, and I found some Youtube videos of a rocket launch. It's put up by a Youtuber who doesn't believe that rockets don't work in space, the earth is flat, there's a "Firmament" stopping rockets from working, etc.

The comments section makes it pretty funny, especially if you look at his other videos.

Now: what would you say to these types of people if you met them in person? How would you react? Would you try to explain this to them, or punch them, like Buzz Aldrin?

Heh. Not sure how I would react, I haven't really seen people who think this way. Not that I've seen people who know basic orbital mechanics anyway, but....

So do you know what rocket this was, or where it was heading or something. Seems to me like he was following a bit of fairing at the end or something.

EDIT:

Ok, I got the video for those who don't want to look it up XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlA0KUvmlrA

Edited by batman78781

2 minutes ago, batman78781 said:

So do you know what rocket this was, or where it was heading or something. Seems to me like he was following a bit of fairing at the end or something.

It said in the video description that it was a Reconsat launched by Mitsubishi.

I see. Just now I clicked on the link at the end of the description, made me crack up! The guy just says some stuff about going too fast and melting, gravity assists don't work, ISS is fake, blah, blah, blah. Speaking of, I'm pretty sure you can see the ISS with naked eye and make out the details like rads and s. panels with a pair of binoculars or something.

Wait, Buzz Aldrin punched someone who though space was a hoax?

I'd probably do the same. Unfortunately, we have laws and stuff, so yeah. I feel like they would come up with stupid arguments if i tried to explain it to them.

I got it! Lets give this guy a copy of KSP so that he gets addicted! Then he'll have to get the point! I like this plan.

Edited by batman78781

These theorists look like a win-win phenomena for me. They feel that they know something the vast majority doesn't, so they pierced the veil maintained by the Hidden Masters (?) who's main agenda is to keep the sheeps ignorant about their evil plans basic stuff like the shape of Earth. That must be a cool feeling.

But we can also feel knowledgeable, intelligent and superior when facing people with convictions we find utterly silly. We can dive in that elevating feeling when we start to argue, while thinking that if we could make just one people realize how nonsense is his belief, the World gets a tiny bit smarter.

Or we can ignore them while being glad that they are them and we are us - but only carefully, in order to avoid the tainting notions of pride and hubris. Than we can subconsciously feel morally superior.

All and all, everyone wins some positive affection. Flat-earthers FTW!

Even reading all the titles of uploaded videos made me laugh. This is hardcore.

1 hour ago, Evanitis said:

... While thinking that if we could make just one people realize how nonsense is his belief, the World gets a tiny bit smarter

and smaller probably. Especially for southerners.

(anyone daring to make a second faction of flat-earth believing south pole to be the center instead of the north ?)

Edited by YNM

6 hours ago, Rdivine said:

I propose that NASA set up a program to send flat-earthers and conspiracy theorists to space, and leave them there because we don't need them back down.

Just put them on Mercury. It's not like we want to put a actual colony there anyway.

Also, DT should be with them, I don't want to see any more of his orange hair.

Edited by Spaceception

51 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Just put them on Mercury. It's not like we want to put a actual colony there anyway.

Also, DT should be with them, I don't want to see any more of has orange hair.

You're right. Plus, the propellant requirement would drop due to decreased mass from the absence of their brains ;)

Alright, that's enough teasing. Let's keep it classy shall we ?:P 

I'm busy right now, but I have added that video to my Watch Later playlist and intend to come back and amend this comment with my reactions xD

Okay here's the promised update: I confess that I gave into temptation and posted on the video with a short explanation that the rocket was performing a gravity turn and the reasons why.
I'm probably going to go back to YouTube tomorrow to find a whole bunch of poorly-written flame comments, but at least I tried to do something good xD

Edited by parameciumkid

If I met a conspiracy theorist, I would probably ask him what evidence he has for NASA being fake, then explain that trying to make everyone believe we landed on the moon would be harder than the actual mission itself. If that still didn't work, I'd just walk away.

15 hours ago, parameciumkid said:

I'm busy right now, but I have added that video to my Watch Later playlist and intend to come back and amend this comment with my reactions xD

Okay here's the promised update: I confess that I gave into temptation and posted on the video with a short explanation that the rocket was performing a gravity turn and the reasons why.
I'm probably going to go back to YouTube tomorrow to find a whole bunch of poorly-written flame comments, but at least I tried to do something good xD

I didn't see any comment like that, the most recent one was made 3 weeks ago and was a conspiracy theorist.

33 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I didn't see any comment like that, the most recent one was made 3 weeks ago and was a conspiracy theorist.

Paramecium most definitely did post his comment. I've seen and read it but it is gone now. Very soon after his comment another comment was posted in an attempt to explain the basics of orbital dynamics. That too is MIA.
I get the distinct feeling any comment that does not fit into the flat-earth doctrine is removed.

In response to the above quotes, yes indeed, you guessed right. Shortly after I left the comment I received a terse reply, which I have censored pursuant to the forum guidelines:

+parameciumkid You learned that from nasa, your fav freemasons, blocking your dumb gullible a*%

Still. I tried. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.