Poll: Which download service do you prefer?

OrtwinS

Do you have a Download Service preference?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. As a user, which download service do you prefer to use?

• Curse
    • Kerbal Stuff
    • Github
    • Mediafire
    • Cloud service with public access (Dropbox/Gdrive/...)
    • Other
    • Don't care
  2. 2. As a plugin developer, which download service do you prefer to use for distribution?

• Curse
    • Kerbal Stuff
    • Github
    • Mediafire
    • Cloud service
    • Other
    • N/A, I don't distribute plugins.

It's a matter of personal curiosity.

I'd love you to tell me why, but if it'll lead to heated arguments because service X is hell or Y is heaven, don't.

I prefer Kerbal Stuff, because I'm a supporter of community initiatives and open source projects.

Also, it has a clean and functional user interface which pleases my eyes.

Edited by OrtwinS
added my preference

I like Kerbalstuff, but it has huge bandwidth problems, whereas I like Github because the download is easily accesible and has a good bandwidth with little ads. I also think it's easier for modders to use github since it's designed for programmers.

-User.

I prefer Kerbalstuff. Community built, pleasing to the eyes, easy to grasp.

Github (my runner-up) only provided issues for me when I had first discovered it. It took some getting used to.

Mediafire is lower than the dirt on my boot heel. It was like playing minesweeper, except the punishment for losing would've been watching my computer suddenly bluescreen. Or some random sketchy-with-a-side-of-extra-shady website that I probably wouldn't want on the history of my family computer to begin with.

All this is from the perspective of a user.

My general rule of thumb is that if it is not on CKAN then I do not bother.  I've been down in the dark depths of modding KSP and at one point, I think I was spending more time trying to manage my modlist than I was playing the game.  I simply no longer have the patience to deal with checking for updates, downloading half a dozen zip files, and stuffing them into the gamedata folder every time I want to play.  With CKAN its simply a matter of starting it up, confirming the mod updates, and starting up the game.

On the rare occasion that I do have to download a mod from the net, I prefer Curse.  I know that Kerbalstuff is open source and community driven which is nice.  I just dislike the overall experience I have had with it.  From failed downloads to constantly pestering me to register even after I hit "never register".  I just find the whole thing annoying.  I have never once had any issues with Curse, except occasionally low download speeds.  That does not generally bother me though since I don't use any parts mods in my install.  Its all plugins and "quality of life" things.

@JamesL86, interesting. I never had the Kerbal Stuff registration thing pester me. Maybe it's a cookie setting?

The unfortunate part of CKAN is that it misses a few mods I can't go without (UbioWelding, Kerbal engineer ). Making it a mismatch of auto-update and manual update.

And yes, I now realise I should have added CKAN to the options.

On 1/25/2016 at 7:35 AM, FungusForge said:

I prefer Kerbalstuff. Community built, pleasing to the eyes, easy to grasp.

Github (my runner-up) only provided issues for me when I had first discovered it. It took some getting used to.

Is there a guide page somewhere for setting up a Github for a file project? I looked at it for an evening and couldn't see how to... I'm not even sure. I thought I'd be able to copy my mod's folder to it and then hit a button to sync it when I wanted to push a dev update.

52 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Is there a guide page somewhere for setting up a Github for a file project? I looked at it for an evening and couldn't see how to... I'm not even sure. I thought I'd be able to copy my mod's folder to it and then hit a button to sync it when I wanted to push a dev update.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, as I'm not an add-on author. I can sympathize with you though; it took longer than I'd like to admit to figure out what to click to download something from it.

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I personally use SmartGit as a Windows UI. You basically create a new repo on your GitHub account, clone the repo in SmartGit, create/edit the files locally where you have specified the clone to be, then commit and push them to the remote repo on GitHub. 

That's very much simplifying the method but there are plenty of tutorials/YouTube guides out there if you want to look into it further.

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I personally use SmartGit as a Windows UI. You basically create a new repo on your GitHub account, clone the repo in SmartGit, create/edit the files locally where you have specified the clone to be, then commit and push them to the remote repo on GitHub. 

That's very much simplifying the method but there are plenty of tutorials/YouTube guides out there if you want to look into it further.

Thank you! The name is enough info to go on to find out more; I'll look into it.

19 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I use TortoiseGit myself, with a similar workflow to Poodmund.  Unfortunately, I'm having trouble browsing to their website (http://tortoisegit.org/) just now.

GitHub itself provides some kind of graphical user interface app thing for computers, but it's been a long time since I've used it, and dealing with edit conflicts requires more in-depth tinkering than their GUI provides.

On 26-1-2016 at 0:23 AM, smjjames said:

Why is mediafire a choice on there? We can't use that on the forums here.

Also, could you make the poll multiple choice?

Bad taste, sorry. It was a slightly trollish option. For those of us who liked the 18+ mal-ware-minefield ads.

And the poll is now multiple choice. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.