High Jump Challenge

OK, here's a challenge for you:

• Launch straight up, until OUTSIDE the atmosphere
  • Decouple any kind of propellant at apoapsis,
  • Sit back and let orbital mechanics land you back as close to the launchpad as possible. 
  • Don't forget to pack chutes. You'll need them.

You are only allowed to burn straight up until you reached your desired apoapsis, after that it's all up to gravity. All mods allowed (apart from Hyperedit or any other mod that relies on magic).

My first attempt got me 94.44km from the launchpad. There is plenty room for improvement. With a little luck skill you can end up on the pad again :D

Bhwb3v9.png

3ZVCdhI.png

cDC38d3.png

Mechjeb shows distance to target. 

There is plenty of opportunity to cheat on this one. But I know you wont, because you're all awesome! :D

Leaderboard:

1. @SchweinAero: 1,3km
  2. @1of6Billion: 6,57km
  3. @MacGamer04: 25,81km (from runway)
Edited by 1of6Billion

48 minutes ago, 1of6Billion said:

Sit back and let orbital mechanics land you back as close to the launchpad as possible

Just to clarify - you mean that there should be no control input of whatsoever (from me or my mods) after decoupling? Naw, that can't be right, than I couldn't use airbrakes or 'chutes. What's the exact level of control allowed in the fall phase?

1 hour ago, Evanitis said:

Just to clarify - you mean that there should be no control input of whatsoever (from me or my mods) after decoupling? Naw, that can't be right, than I couldn't use airbrakes or 'chutes. What's the exact level of control allowed in the fall phase?

Ohw, ahem, kuch. Sure you can use chutes and or air brakes. (I did :D )

2 hours ago, MacGamer04 said:

Hmmm. I think I'll give this one a go...the trick is to go just above 70KM...you have to dump all the propellant?

Rule nr2: 

• Decouple any kind of propellant at apoapsis,

so, yeah ;)

Pro tip: Don't over think it :cool:

So I gave it a try, and in one of the photos you can see that the capsule has Mono in it. I can promise you that there were no RCS jets on the capsule. I got to 25.81 KM away from the KSC Runway...I don't know how to tell how far away I am from the Launchpad I am. Here is my entry, The 'Land It Back On The Pad Mk. 1'

http://imgur.com/a/VVZLN

Funny to see how you guys approach this very different from what I did. :D

@SchweinAero you're on top

2 hours ago, MacGamer04 said:

So I gave it a try, and in one of the photos you can see that the capsule has Mono in it. I can promise you that there were no RCS jets on the capsule. I got to 25.81 KM away from the KSC Runway...I don't know how to tell how far away I am from the Launchpad I am. Here is my entry, The 'Land It Back On The Pad Mk. 1'

http://imgur.com/a/VVZLN

You seem to have Mechjeb. Open the Landing guidance screen. Set 'KSC Pad' as target. It gives the distance..

2 hours ago, 1of6Billion said:

Funny to see how you guys approach this very different from what I did. :D

@SchweinAero you're on top

You seem to have Mechjeb. Open the Landing guidance screen. Set 'KSC Pad' as target. It gives the distance..

Thanks. Next time I do this (if I do it again) I'll use that :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.