DMSP-The beginning of a space program. [Final Chapter] Chapter 33-When the clock hits zero.

DMSP

2 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

I might be able to give you a small satellite. However, it has resource scanning equipment from the ends of the Tech Tree (which you haven't unlocked yet).

Actually I am playing in Sandbox. I feel like career is a bit limiting. You can private message me the file.

28 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

I have a super-heavy launcher, but it uses SXT, SpaceY, and KW rocketry.

Don't worry, I don't need a lifter, but if you have a satellite I could use that!

5 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

@DMSP  I have sent you the file in a message but It's from 1.0.5 and has MechJeb attached. (I forgot to remove it)

Is it OK for Private-4?

I can get it sooner, on Private-3.

I'll redownload mechjeb and remove the chip.

11 hours ago, DMSP said:

Actually, Private-3 is not on a Black Sparrow. Like Private-2, it is taking place on a larger, 2.5 meter rocket.

Wait it is? If so, REDESIGN!!! Maybe I can cram a spam sat on board... Then I can send 13 satellites to orbit!

How big is the private-3 rocket? I assume it's a fairing...

Just now, max_creative said:

Wait it is? If so, REDESIGN!!! Maybe I can cram a spam sat on board... Then I can send 13 satellites to orbit!

How big is the private-3 rocket? I assume it's a fairing...

You can probably fit 13 CubeSats on it. It's 2.5 Meters, fairing included.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see. We started our series of exams today, absolutely exhausted, no chapter tonight, sorry.

Instead, have a sneak peak from the next chapter!

KaLmHVf.png

Haha! You have no idea what is happening! A spacecraft went Boom!

5 minutes ago, max_creative said:

A small docking port... Some Oscar-B tanks... Radiatiors... Hey! That's Rene Target Station!

And we leave it at that.

9 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Good luck w/ exams. Also, when is new chapter? I'm anxious to see the outcome of the Private-3 launch.

*Determination.

Well, I woke up sick today (high fever) and I have a bit of free time, so here:

Chapter 23-Muna 10 Comes Home.

Linus was sitting in the back of conference room-1 whilst Wernher talked away about the plans for a Mün landing. So far, no one had come up with anything good, and they'd been at this for 2 hours (or maybe it was 3, Linus had lost count).

Linus, waiting his turn to speak, stood up and said something very simply.

"Why don't we just make Muna-10 a sample return mission?"

The conference ended 50 seconds later.

5Ss5kEp.png

Muna-10 launched on a modified custom built lifter. Linus cheered as it went up, finally one of his ideas was back in the sky (ever since Muna-3a,b and c had gone down over the Space Center). Wernher was still wondering why he hadn't thought of that.

gOr7eOX.png

The first stage carried the spacecraft upwards, followed by the second stage. The third stage got the probe into orbit.

eLiEl3S.png

That same orbital insertion burn was also the trans-munar injection burn, and in no time at all, Muna-10 continued onward.

yKgoGT7.png

Back at Kerbin, the space program was getting incredibly popular. Stations, Mün missions, and Spaceplane flights were really getting the program what it needed. Funds. They were getting so many funds that the rockets they would be putting together could soon get Kerbals to the Mün.

ZCIq2yF.png

The attention was soon focused back at Muna-10. It had just began its descent down towards the landing site, and a minute or so afterwards it began the suicide burn.

The altimeter ticked down. The m/s gauge ticked down.

3,000-200
2,000-120
1,000-50
500-20

TJx0aNo.png

Soon Muna-10 was just meters above the surface.

And touchdown!

sBHuZ0m.png

Muna-10 spent 3 days on the Mün collecting data, finding resources, and finally, collecting dust particles floating around in the air.

Once it had collected 20 grams (which took forever), flight got busy again. The first liftoff from another world.

The countdown began.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, Engine startup cycle, 3, 2, 1, Engine ignition"

5sFIhWx.png

"Liftoff!"

Muna-10 began its ascent away form the Mün, leaving behind a slightly scorched landing site, a damaged descent vehicle, and a lot of rock, which had taken billions of years to form.

svnSDLw.png

Soon Muna-10 pulled into orbit, and once again, shot out away from another SOI.

fIxaHB6.png

Goodbye Mün! We'll be back as soon as we can!

Muna-10 then began the fall towards Kerbin. It was slow at first, but soon Muna-10 was gaining speed, falling towards home.

Less than an hour before atmospheric entry, the Kerbals at the telemetry and guidance stations realized that Muna-10 was landing very close to the KSC.

g7v3KQc.png

Jeb was sent out to the landing area to recover the data, and to be there when the spacecraft reentered (in case something went wrong, Jeb would be able to take some photos of the accident).

oyHx2HF.png

Muna-10 entered the atmosphere quite close to where Jeb was now flying. He held the controls with one hand, whilst trying to capture photos of the reentry with the other.

F53996v.png

But nothing went wrong. Muna-10 slowed down and deployed its parachute as well as ditching its heatsheild.

U4wWVJr.png

AJnKVQ1.png

Jeb descended and landed close to where the probe was.

e4mJ0Nq.png

Everyone was excited. Jeb took off the sample canister, data chip and scientific storage box. There was so much data in this little probe, just waiting to be discovered.

But the excitement was soon broken when a red light flashed at Orbit 2, the control station that watched over everything in Orbit.

"Gene!" the controller yelled, "The Rouge Debris Tracker picked up an object heading towards the Rene Target Station."

"What?!"

6WVt1vT.png

"We have no idea! There was a piece of junk, probably a small rock or something, maybe a captured meteorite, it was in a inclined orbit far away from the station." The Kerbal behind Orbit 2 yelled. He took a breath, and continued. "Just 40 seconds ago, the Rouge Debris Tracked sensed an anomaly, the object was changing its orbit! Now it is on a collision course with the station!"

Gene was shocked. "Maneuver the station out of the way, now!"

Fq6qY7H.png

"It doesn't have thrusters."

KaLmHVf.png

PYPP7Da.png

"Signal connecting the Rene Target Station lost. Collision confirmed by the RDT."

"Moho..."

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed that. Thanks for reading!

9 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

What in the world hit it? Could it be a warhead by an enemy country which was in an inclined orbit, avoiding detection, until it had window to destroy the Station?

1 hour ago, max_creative said:

Whaaaaaa! R.I.P. Rene Target Station/Spacecraft Chapter 12- Chapter 23. You will be missed Rene. 

Orbit 2 dude said it was in an inclined orbit... Did you launch it from ksc 2? If so, RUN AWAY FROM THOMPBERRY!!!

Jack, they're onto something! Let's get out of here whilst we can!

Anyways, we will just have to wait and see what happens next.

I can assure you guys that a chapter will be soon. In the meantime, enjoy this sneak-peak.

nhzlPfl.png

6 minutes ago, DMSP said:

Jack, they're onto something! Let's get out of here whilst we can!

Anyways, we will just have to wait and see what happens next.

I can assure you guys that a chapter will be soon. In the meantime, enjoy this sneak-peak.

nhzlPfl.png

All ready a new chapter? Well, you said your were sick today... 

WAIT IS THAT AN ICBM?!?

If yes, EAT RTG FUEL KSC2 PEOPLE!!! 

If no, I'm now a lot little concerned about the private-3 launch...

38 minutes ago, DMSP said:

nhzlPfl.png

That only has solid rocket fuel, but it clearly doesn't have the range to be an ICBM...

But the lack of LF/O tanks mean it's definitely a ballistic missile of some kind, most likely delivered from a truck... but that's the coast of the KSC, which means it may have been launched from a pad... If so, what is it's target? Are they stationed on the island runway, or is there a boat that needs asploding?

*Puts on tinfoil hat, then proceeds to remove it and puts on combat gear instead*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.