DMSP-The beginning of a space program. [Final Chapter] Chapter 33-When the clock hits zero.

DMSP

Hmmm... We can assume it was launched from a truck or something because of the decoupler reminents, we can assume it's not going to orbit... It is pitching up and aimed... AT THE ISLAND AIRPORT! Aha! Probably loaded on a truck in the SPH, then driven over and aimed. 

BTW how are private 2 and 3 going?

Strap parachutes to the first stage and land it at landing zone one! Or land it KerbX style!

8 hours ago, DMSP said:

18 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

What in the world hit it? Could it be a warhead by an enemy country which was in an inclined orbit, avoiding detection, until it had window to destroy the Station?

9 hours ago, max_creative said:

Whaaaaaa! R.I.P. Rene Target Station/Spacecraft Chapter 12- Chapter 23. You will be missed Rene. 

Orbit 2 dude said it was in an inclined orbit... Did you launch it from ksc 2? If so, RUN AWAY FROM THOMPBERRY!!!

Jack, they're onto something! Let's get out of here whilst we can!

Anyways, we will just have to wait and see what happens next.

I can assure you guys that a chapter will be soon. In the meantime, enjoy this sneak-peak.

nhzlPfl.png

Hmm... if only we knew what was in that fairing... I don't think you... oh I know what's in it! KIS Explosives!

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm guessing something like this hit the station:

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/fce04cae84eb1ef900c0ae4167171b14

Well, we'll just have to wait and see. Or perhaps we will never know...

17 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

And Private-2?

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, Private-2's launch and it's probe's flights are in Chapter 26. You'll see it by Monday, for sure.

And @max_creative, @Andem, and @KerbalOmmex, the "missile" is a lot less exciting than that. See below.

Chapter 24-A real spaceplane.

The destruction of the Rene Target Station was, at first, a huge secret. It wasn't until some amateur astronomers in Darmstadtium looked up where the Rene Target Station should have been. They alerted the media, which led to a lot of questioning, which finally led to Marmy breaking and telling the truth. Rene was gone.

There was so much speculation and mystery around the whole thing that nobody was for sure. Many said that the small piece of space-rock in orbit vented a gas, making it "maneuver" towards the station. A few thought that it could have been a satellite from DMSP that had destroyed the station, but the space program had a catalogue of everything. Lastly, some conspiracy theorists said that it was an Anti-Station weapon launched by an enemy space program. But there were no 'enemies' and definitely no centers capable of launching a rocket.

So, with nothing else to do, scientists pushed forward with the next launch, InterComms-1.

2vAdQ9d.png

InterComms-1 was created to provide a communications relay for future interplanetary missions, and it would orbit between Kerbin and Eve.

0ZDzRzc.png

It also carried two more CubeSats from Kathena Space Industries, Hera-3, and Hera-4.

ShQDpQX.png

Hera-3 was dumped in LKO.

O6qKvi5.png

InterComms-1 and Hera-4 then continued towards interplanetary space, hopefully one day providing a stable network for future missions.

DxN9pEj.png

DuOfsTI.png

Hera-4 was then left behind in Interplanetary space.

U8mEH7n.png

And back to Kerbin.

The next launch was that of Oisac-1, a privately built satellite. The company launching it was Kathena Space Industries, hoping to launch their first non-CubeSat to the Mün.

BxDcjZm.png

The singular side booster was angled to help the launch and get Oisac-1 to space whilst getting it Eastward velocity.

It didn't happen that way.

wpPVF8b.png

Oisac-1 started to turn East. More east. So far east. This wasn't supposed to happen.

The side booster was ditched, but it was too late.

nhzlPfl.png

Oisac-1 broke up over the sea, less than a kilometer from shore.

9ISMvJf.png

The second loss of spacecraft in three weeks. Not good.

The public was loosing both faith and attention. Rene was very widely liked, even if it wasn't the fault of the space program, Rene's loss was blamed on them. Now Kathena Space Industries had just lost their cute Mün probe that they were so excited about.

Something was needed. Something grand, something that would capture everybody's attention. Something big, something new, something innovated.

So the X-4 was put up for its final flight. It had served well, but it was not suitable for the long term. It flipped easily, wanted to spin around when the pilot touched the controls, and did not have the best safety rating.

But a final flight would do this space program good.

VAc4BKy.png

It was definitely a incredible launch. Using the 6 of the newest engines on the market, the payload, consisting of The X-4 Orbital Flight test (which was also the name of this mission) along with an identical copy of Oisac-1, which was called Oisac-1. Here we see some serious originality.

Bpth4Up.png

The rocket punctured the thin upper atmosphere, and ended up in a stable low equatorial orbit.

zux9Wsg.png

What a success that launch was. Almost 2 million watched it live, whilst 5,122 came to see the launch. Trust in the program had been settled once again.

aL5KGuM.png

Oisac-1, soon after decoupling from the stack, shot off towards the Mün, in search of Rocks, 90Th and Funds.

RVRzcwP.png

Why Thorium? I don't know.

Back in LKO, the the unmanned X-4 continued Orbital studies. The pressure of the crew cabin held steady, showing the hard work that would lead to the safety of any Kerbal sitting there.

But after only 6 orbits, there was nothing left to do, and mission control gave the X-4 flight team deorbitation clearance.

JELuHSJ.png

The Skipper engine ignited for the final time, starting the descent of this heroic mission.

f9XwNct.png

Atmospheric entry was not covered in sudden flames, as most people expected. The three cruise ships underneath the X-4 were a bit let down, but they continued to watch the reentry unfold.

Then it started to get hot.

BzQ5SA9.png

The X-4 survived. It took no reentry damage, just a few heated parts, mostly because the draggy air-frame didn't give the components a chance to overheat.

It touched down 1 hour, 32 minutes and 9 seconds after liftoff.

J077slF.png

What a mission.

About 4 hours later, Oisac-1 began its retrograde burn into Low Munar Orbit.

cQztg5f.png

It successfully pulled into the required orbit, starting a new chapter in space exploration history, a huge step in private space exploration, and a awesome jump for the space program.

78EnFk1.png

The conclusion of the early X-program happened officially 2 days later. So much was learned about lifting bodies, and the fruit of this program was a wonder.

The Kliper Reusable Spacecraft.

2G81XMb.png

9 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Wow! Now that's a spaceplane! How's private-2 and private-3 going?

Private-2 has been launched, Private-3 is still on the launch waiting list. Private-2's launch is Chapter-26.

3 minutes ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Cool, a Kliper ! What part is that using as a crew cabin ? 

It's a part from Tantares, an older part from 1.0.5, that was never even included in the official download.

1 minute ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Geez, man. What are you hiding? Tell me!

Sorry, I wish I could, but not yet!

2 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I know where your space center is and I have a strike aircraft waiting on my runway.

No hurting DMSP! 

At least I'm being patient! 

And if you do attack him, I have a 500 ton battle cruiser and I would be happy to bomb you! 

24 minutes ago, max_creative said:

No hurting DMSP! 

And if you do attack him, I have a 500 ton battle cruiser and I would be happy to bomb you! 

[Orders secretary to ready R-5 spy aircraft]

Also, @DMSP, a status update - Has the TVK Space Telescope reached the desired 4000*4000km orbit?

Judging by your like, I assume yes?

On 5/18/2016 at 8:36 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

I know where your space center is and I have a strike aircraft waiting on my runway.

I have 6 Governour-1 missiles ready to launch. Be prepared.

On 5/18/2016 at 8:41 PM, max_creative said:

No hurting DMSP! 

That is quite a heavy cruiser, use it carefully!

23 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

[Orders secretary to ready R-5 spy aircraft]

Also, @DMSP, a status update - Has the TVK Space Telescope reached the desired 4000*4000km orbit?

Judging by your like, I assume yes?

"Sure" it "totally" has reached that orbit. :P

20 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

All I want is for my EveSat to survive the tripe to Eve and operate properly ;(

If not, well, it's fine. The United Kerbal Space Agency is peaceful (not unlike Canada), so if it fails we'll send you a redisigned version for a different whatever.

EveSat is on a course for Eve, arriving in 1 year and 116 days. No need.

And you guys still do probably want a sneak peak, so:

EBSV4Mw.png

1 minute ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

That reminds me of the payload canister i loaded the EveSat into...

Haha! Like oops, I forgot to put it on the lifter, and now I didn't even get it to orbit! Sorry!

In reality, don't worry, it's not. It's more fun (or not fun, depending on how you look at it).

27 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

The suspense...... all of the crew here at UKSA (Me) are very concerned now. Very anxious as to the arrival of Chapter 26, as we still have Ch 25 to go through.

*Determination. . .

BAK controllers nervously await word of the TVK Telescope, and prepare the 1200-ton CVE-Cruiser KSV Razor Hail for patrol.

25 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Very anxious as to the arrival of Chapter 26, as we still have Ch 25 to go through.

And if private-2 fails I will be extremely slightly worried about private-3...

45 minutes ago, DMSP said:

I have 6 Governour-1 missiles ready to launch. Be prepared.

That is quite a heavy cruiser, use it carefully!

Don't worry! I already blew up a space station with it! I will be totally not be careful! And I have space to ground missiles on board my cruiser! @OrbitalBuzzsaw, prepare for war!

2 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Now now, let's not venture into the lands of RP. :)

This.

@OrbitalBuzzsaw, Chapter 26 will probably be on Sunday or Monday afternoon, depending on the weekend. It could come as early as Saturday though.

@max_creative, don't worry, I think Private-3 will launch just fine. The lifter is relatively new, but I have successfully gotten 13 payloads to orbit. No failures (apart from a random engine cutoff that I still haven't figured out, and even with that cutoff, the rocket made it to space. Mission was a success.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.