DMSP-The beginning of a space program. [Final Chapter] Chapter 33-When the clock hits zero.

DMSP

9 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Oh yeah @DMSP - PM me if you want some fighters ETC - the planes in my thread is outdated from 1.05 and I have a bunch of better ones now.

Alright, I will keep that in mind!

4 hours ago, max_creative said:

Orbital bomber a totally random cruiser ready to annihilate them help with negotiations sir!

We begin bombing in 5 minutes.

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

That jet was wicked cool! So if I'm reading it right, KSC sent a robot spy plane to KSC2, did an aerial recon, then destroyed the plane?

Thank Raptor9!

Yes, that's all right. There wasn't enough fuel to get home.

6 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

@Raptor9, that was a cool drone!

So @DMSP, what chapter will Private-3 be launching? Will it use your Reusable launcher?

Not sure yet, could be anywhere up to 30.

No, it will be a Butane.

Chapter 28-To the Mun and Back again.

Muna-10 had been a complete success, but it had failed one thing. It was unable to get samples from the actual Lunar Regolith, only dust samples kicked up by the engine or just some random compounds floating around.

That's why Muna-11 was fitted with a suction tube to bring in the samples up to the return lander.

FcyH6jT.png

Launching on a Butane, Muna-11 raced to the sky in the evening twilight to bring back the first real samples from another world.

lesLMUN.png

(Funny, the above Imgur photo was called lesLMUN).

With the Butane, Orbit was more than easy to achieve. The Munar injection burn was also just fine.

1T1qQmj.png

The ground crews then took a break. It was mostly quiet around the space center over the past few days, as if speaking would bring missiles from the New Airfield down on them.

So in mostly silence, the KSC waited for Muna-11 to get to the Mun.

And within a few hours, it was ready to get into Munar orbit.

FeusTco.png

The landing site was actually quite a famous one, it was the landing site of Muna-6. The samples there had not been as analyzed as the ones by Muna-7 so it would be good for two reasons.

4hIjHOb.png

The first would be to get samples from a place they haven't gotten samples from.

gWGQT8C.png

And the second would be to test if the crews could successfully make a target landing.

t3RCYsa.png

Muna-11 was right on target, and touched down more than ok.

nuzWB28.png

But less than a second after the historic first landing rendezvous and the first time two probes met on another world, the engines ignited again. This place wasn't flat enough.

gkLCNaO.png

The landing legs did not provide a good wheel base for such a (relatively) tall probe.

After a bit of searching, a landing site was found, only a couple hundred or so meters away.

6XEPywg.png

WwTAXT8.png

The cargo bay opened. The tube extended. Samples were sucked into the cargo bay's sample container.

And the first real Munar samples were ready for Kerbin.

z7996o9.png

To make it a real Mun mission, the probe spent a night on the surface. Data was transmitted from Muna-6 to Muna-11, Data that would be partially lost in transmission Real science data.

The next morning, the alignment was right for Muna-11 to head home. The crew sent a goodbye to Muna-6, which would probably not care that much, and shut off the sample tube.

Soon, Muna-11's cold liftoff thrusters ignited.

HnDOi87.png

And off Muna-11 went, leaving behind the Mun, a landing stage, and an old probe that would never see home again.

m4TGkjB.png

The probe headed away, towards Kerbin.

NQWss60.png

On a trajectory that would land it on land, a recovery team was set up to get Muna-11 and make sure that it didn't fall to enemy hands.

4qeBBxz.png

HgkxAV1.png

0pboRb6.png

Before hitting the ground, a "snagplane" caught Muna-11's parachute and reeled it in, bringing home the samples the mission needed.

Up in high Kerbin orbit, TellDeuterium was finally in a position to enter a stable Geostationary orbit.

us2vpjT.png

Mission success!

LvcNB4n.png

Bob watched as another Governor-1 missile sat on the launchpad. The missile was a test into the ocean to see what aerodynamic stresses it could survive.

mj2uOiM.png

He watched the booster go up a few meters, and almost immediately it swerved to the right.

Looking in terror as the booster flew towards the VAB, he almost could sense this would be the end.

He expected the booster to hit the VAB, and for the VAB to tumble down in flames.

But then he saw the fireball. A cloud of smoke took over him.

EV2luV1.png

And Bob Screamed.

qbcPlIq.png

And he was still screaming until the nuclear fireball wiped him away.

Edited by DMSP

On 6/5/2016 at 3:28 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Oh kraken.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:33 PM, Just Jim said:

woah......   :0.0:

On 6/5/2016 at 5:23 PM, Raptor9 said:

well...that took a harsh turn, lol :sticktongue:

On 6/5/2016 at 5:59 PM, max_creative said:

Goodness Large Text Here!

On 6/5/2016 at 6:05 PM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

breh.... what in the-

*Insanity.

On 6/7/2016 at 8:17 AM, spacebrick3 said:

That went bad quickly...

These are all the correct emotional responses!

@Andem, @UnusualAttitude, @Angel-125, and @KerbalOmmex, the Chapter below holds the answers!

Oh, and look, Private-3 is in two launches. Wait till next Sunday to see it!

Sorry guys for the wait, Real life has been tough these past few days. I'll try to get another chapter later today but then I am leaving on a 6 day trip with no Wifi, and thus, no The Beginning of a Space Program.

For now, I can leave you with one of the longest chapters yet.

Chapter 29-Under the fear of Fire.

Bill awoke to a scream. The scream was coming from a male Kerbal, but it was ever so high pitched and he could hear the fear in it. The fear in a scream.

The next thing that came to Bill's mind was his confusion. It was funny how sleeping in different places, or even facing directions out of the norm can make you forget where you a-- Wait. He was in the Astronaut Complex. His room had had a leak, yes, a Water Pipe leak, and he was sleeping in Bob's room.

Bob.

Bill shot up and looked across the room, at Bob, who was now deathly still. He got up, and making sure not to hit Bob's Grass Samples, shook his friend awake.

"Bob!" He whispered, "Bob!"

A groan came from the now awake Bob.

He opened his eyes wider than usual, looked around, and realized he was safe. The KSC was safe.

He then looked Bill in the eyes. "Bill, I had the most awful dream." Bob shook his head remembering it.

"What happened?" Bill asked.

Ignoring the question, Bob just said, "Governor Test 1B is rigged."

It had been half an hour since Bill woke up, and now he was driving to the Astronaut Complex from the Spaceplane Hanger, bringing a Rat rover, as Bob was not ready to walk. He was still in partial shock from the dream that night, It had just been too realistic.

CCevHsb.png

Bob got on the rover, and Bill already knew where to drive. They were going to inspect Governor-1 themselves.

9F4lms9.png

Driving up to the door opposite of the launchpad, they hopped out and went inside.

GlL7L7s.png

Governor-1B was lying in two pieces, the first stage, and the second stage, with the payload. What the payload was, Bob didn't know.

QG4vXSP.png

They walked up to Wernher, who was inspecting the rocket before the final construction phases.

"Bob, Bill!" he shouted, "Nice to see you!" He walked away from the rocket and met up with them.

"Wernher." Bob was absolutely serious. The lead scientist heard the mix of feelings in his voice and his smile faded.

He was now wondering the standard question. "Is everything ok?"

"What's in the fairing?" Bill asked.

"I installed scientific instruments there two nights ago, the fairings were closed last night."

"And who closed them? Was it you?" Bob questioned.

"No." He paused for a second. "That's a good question. Who closed the fairings?"

Bob noticed the anomaly. "Open them. Now."

"Bob, I'm going to need permission from Gene and the Kolonia military to do that. It will delay the launch!"

"I'll explain it, but if I think what is in there is in there, we won't need explaining."

Wernher eventually nodded. He walked away and called a few of the engineers.

He came back, still reluctant about doing this. "I'll call you in a few minutes. You can head out or stay if you want."

Bill nodded and they walked outside to their rover.

About 18 minutes later, Bob picked up his phone.

"Wernher?"

"Bob, Bill, come here now. You need to see this."

hkF9zq2.png

Gene shook his head at the news. "So this is a Nuclear Warhead?" He asked the three in front of him.

In almost complete unison, all three responded "Yes."

Wernher gave more details. "It's a Xenon ignition cloud with four of the most high-tech plutonium reactors I have ever seen. The irradiated cloud would create an incredible nuclear mushroom cloud, not to mention the fallout."

Gene had a look of shock on his face. "Any idea how it got there?"

Bill took this one. "No, but I have a hunch on who it was. That military representative you told me about, it could have been him." Bill also had a question for Gene. "What are we doing with the warhead?"

Gene pondered for a moment. "We'll store it away in the bunker. Disarm the Xenon reactor and remove the Plutonium. Figure this out. I'll have a talk with the representative."

At a similar time the next morning, Governor-1B's booster was brought out to the launchpad for a static fire. This was absolutely important, because it the engines vectored like they had in Bob's dream, this launch could have actually been the end of the space program.

wJQw0qX.png

The booster ignited, stationary on the pad. Many Kerbals, including Bob, Bill, Val, Jeb, Gene, Mort, and Wernher were staring intently with binoculars.

And then it happened.

eDXPC2E.png

The engines vectored west. Bob could almost imagine the nuclear explosion that would have followed afterwards.

Gene shook his head as the booster shut down. "I talked to the representative, he admitted to placing the weapon, but said it was just to test it exploding over the sea. He is wondering why we haven't launched the missile yet."

Bob sighed. "This could have been the end of the space program. Sure, I understand our military wants to bomb the mulch out of the United Katax Union and to take their new space center and claim it as Kolonia's, but I can't believe they think it's ok to place Nuclear Warheads, especially live ones, on our rockets!"

"I helped with the disposal of the warhead," Jeb told them, "And I made sure that it will now be threatening anybody ever again. I hope."

Gene nodded. He then headed towards mission control. There was a massive mission coming up. Even with the threat of a Nuclear Fire, space exploration must go on. They can never be afraid.

The next next next day, the very same Kerbals were lining up, and for a good reason! This was the first real test of a full Reusable Booster Mk1 and was also the first probe that would be going to another planet, Duna!

5XkOqCO.png

It was a big day for the space center. And it was a big rocket. The crowds yelled out the countdown. 3. 2. 1.

sfCvp8f.png

Off it went! Screaming, shouting and generally just trying to make noise, they watched the rocket head up, towards the blackness of space, and towards the red dot called Duna.

Within minutes, the first stage was out. It was extremely high powered to get the payload out the atmosphere whilst keeping itself on a good trajectory to head back home.

lUmGnkl.png

Everything went nominal. The control systems were working fine, and the rocket was doing well.

But what was coming up was the most dangerous part of the flight. Boostback.

GNARu7n.png

The second stage, along with Overseer-1, the first probe that would ever go to Duna, continued onward, safely arriving in a 83 km parking orbit.

YFKPNRu.png

But the ride was not over for the booster. It was now fighting the flames of reentry.

ELgjnbK.png

The crowds were silent, until one shouted "There!" and pointed up at a small orange dot. That was the booster.

Immediately cameras, binoculars and many curious eyes were looking at the booster.

The airbrakes soon had deployed, and at 1 kilometer, the descent rocket ignited.

ONqVBQF.png

The crowds watched in a mix of Excitement, Worry and Awe as the booster descended on a whitish-blue flame, and at a fairly fast speed, hit the ground.

But then the smoke settled.

Gene couldn't see the screen.

A second after the smoke settled, history changing words rang out.

"Flight, this is control. B1 has landed!"

H6GstSZ.png

Cheers broke out, and we'll leave the KSC crowds to their celebrating.

MPFXWBc.png

In LKO, Overseer-1 separated from the second stage.

And ignited.

yQ97NvB.png

The RT-5 Flea Upper Stage propelled Overseer-1 out of Kerbin's grasp, and with some help from the probe, towards Duna, even though it was a full 120 days from the transfer window. Oh well, who needed that small bit of extra fuel anyways.

OAGgahM.png

G8FHQuo.png

With the sudden rush to prepare another probe to make the public happy, the launch schedule was completely reorganized, pushing Governor-1 back 5 more launches, along with messing up the rest of the schedule.

But, launching on top of a Butane, Overseer-2 headed up.

IQT2pey.png

Another success under the program's belt.

cePEC8U.png

And later that night, the RT-5 put on another light show.

v76KwZ4.png

b7vbYEK.png

m7XqvAK.png

These two probes would arrive at Duna in only a couple hundred days, right about when the actual Duna transfer window opened. If anything headed over on that window, Overseer-1 and 2 would be there to track those things right in.

Back on Kerbin, Sammin Kerman, one of the new pilots, tested the C-1 Lifting Body aircraft.

oYysQg3.png

xdoIc5b.png

It flew like a charm. Named "Tech-1 (Flight in C Sharp)" it was the first in the Tech Series, and was soon stationed at Black Krags.

epC6egs.png

Something good for once.

Nice falcon 9 dude! The space program isn't over! However, the Katax's is...

Can I please drop a 250 crusier right on top of them? Pleeeeeease? It won't explode and crash into the vab! Ok, maybe stage 1 separation is kinda unreliable, but it works! Only 1 out of about 15 launches has a RUD on the pad! 

But at least the space program is ok! WHOO DMSP!!! 

13 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Nice falcon 9 dude! The space program isn't over! However, the Katax's is...

Can I please drop a 250 crusier right on top of them? Pleeeeeease? It won't explode and crash into the vab! Ok, maybe stage 1 separation is kinda unreliable, but it works! Only 1 out of about 15 launches has a RUD on the pad! 

But at least the space program is ok! WHOO DMSP!!! 

Well we'll see how the relations are between Kolonia and Katax.

And no! We don't know how many fourth walls could be damaged!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.