KSP is helping people...

InterCity

That is a beautiful story; well done you! As a teacher I find it amazing to think that some of the kids who are learning physics and astronomy right now are going to be the ones landing on Mars in twenty or thirty years. That gives me a lot of hope for the future and puts my daily interactions with students in a very interesting context.

Great story. If I was in the heart of Europe, I'd try to find out how to buy you a few beers.

BTW, the title of this thread is completely wrong. It should read "InterCity is helping people... with some help from KSP." ;) 

Whoa...

I didn't expect so much positive feedback. Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't reply yesterday, it has been quite a sandstorm in the hospital and I really wasn't in the mood for writing on forums - hell, I didn't even get to play KSP with him, since he was already sleeping by the time I was done.

Anyway, the kid was released this afternoon. As far as I can tell, he's doing well, and I hope I won't be seeing him anytime soon - at least not at work. I didn't get to read KasperVld's offer in time, but don't worry - I gave him a flash drive with a copy of KSP (he gave me a chocolate in exchange :) ). I just hope he has access to a computer that can take it. And to think about it, I probably owe him more than the flash drive.

Even though I always tried my best to keep my patients as happy as possible, since I know how much it does help with everything, but frankly I was losing faith for quite some time now. Especially elderly patients keep moaning about their health all day, some of them even going so far as accusing me of their current health - following the good old "Back in my day, the doctors..." template. Seeing the boy happy has reminded me why I was doing this on the first place, and that even though it might not be visible at the first glance, it definitely does some work. And it also gives my conscience a better rest. It knows that I've done everything I could. 

I guess everyone could try being nice. It helps them more than it helps the people they're being nice to.

Although when I think about my boss... 

Edit: Be nice to those who deserve it. It will help you more than it helps them.

@StrandedonEarth: Thank you. I did just that :)

Edited by InterCity

On 26/01/2016 at 3:04 AM, Hobbes Novakoff said:

Wow. PC Gamer may have to change KSP's rating, as it does appear that KSP boosts immune systems of nearby children.

Well, boredom and depression have long been known to kill the immune system. So, it's really more restoring it to strength through solving boredom.

Either way, children love spaceships. KSP is aimed at that demographic, albeit grown children that can afford gaming PCs and games. I find KSP is what I always wanted to play with lego when I was a kid. Spaaace~

I have a non-life-essential (IT) job, and I find that spending a couple hours a week (during work, not even lunch) bonding with my coworkers over funny stories and general IT geekery improves our morale and teamwork. Besides, crabby and/or over-stressed people tend to churn out poor quality work. I'd rather not have a surgeon cut me open right when s/he's spent the last 20 hours working at 110% full blast, non-stop, without a mental break!

1 hour ago, Bill Phil said:

Maybe it wasn't *just* the game. Humans are social creatures, and spending time with somebody who has a common interest can help someone feel better, too. Not that KSP didn't help, but it was more of a gateway between you and the kid.

Just bask in the love, Bill.

Don't fight it :) 

One cannot fight the love of KSP.

Such a nice story, I would replike it a thousand times over if I could.

Edited by Sanic

• 3 weeks later...

This is deep, man.I'm glad the nurse said he was suddenly rapidly recovering.Maybe when he is older he'll start playing KSP by himself and just maybe, we will find him right here on the forum.It's always the small things(and big) in life that count.

Edited by Candlelight

Mother of Kraken, no, those aren't tears in my eye... those are dust mites... I'm not lying..... oh good god, as a space addict and KSP lover, @InterCity, you have no idea how much of my heart just melted away, and how much tear liquid I'm lost reading this... May you be favoured in this ever darker world :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.