The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

This is a rocket I just built in my relatively new career in RO. Is for a manned orbit mission around the moon. The rocket is a bit overpowered for the mission because in the future it will carry a lander between the 2nd and 3rd stage. Its mass is 2216.79 Tons and it uses a F1 engine for the 1st stage, J-2 series engines for the 2nd and 3rd stage and an AJ10-137 service engine for the CSM.

W8gAQDA.jpg

Test flight in simulation with two pilots:

uWlzeFZ.jpg

5FkGvtH.jpg

uFarY9a.png

FmPJM4a.png

THEIsrC.jpg

I forgot to add the retro rockets on the second stage for a better separation

MUL0adg.png

a3zxhyH.png

Orbit achieved with around 4000 Delta-v left for the TLI:

HmQ4mHs.jpg

Final considerations: the rocket works very well. Even with a high TWR it doesn't wobble/shake at all during the 1st part of the ascent and it's very balanced. I will add 4 retro rockets on the 2nd stage to improve the separation and I will probably limit the thrust of the F1 engine to lower the atmospheric drag during ascent. 

TEST: Passed :)

Edited by Epox75

Early launchers from my RP-0 career mode:

HOukkVi.jpg

WAC-Corporal

Gross mass: 650 kg ,Payload: 32 kg, Apogee: 130 km

55dM9oJ.jpg

V-2

Gross mass: 12,500 kg, Payload: 1000 kg, Apogee: 125 km

wZ8LOP6.png

WAC-Bumper

Gross mass: 12,900 kg, Payload: 32 kg, Apogee: 600 km

NlcPRK9.png

Redstone A7

Gross mass: 29,500 kg, LEO payload: 8 kg

ZDRJJd0.png

Redstone A6 - Mercury

Gross mass: 27,500 kg, Payload: 2200 kg, Apogee: 200 km

PXKr7gf.png

Vanguard

Gross mass: 10,100 kg, LEO payload: 58 kg

pBKcJ6D.png

Thor-Able

Gross mass: 53,000 kg, LEO payload: 300 kg

fDBAagL.png

Thor-Agena D

Gross mass: 57,000 kg, LEO payload: 750 kg

G73tHP1.png

Icarus V 594H

My Icarus V line is my must customizable. I launched the flagship of the line, the Icarus V 594H recently to put a 15t payload into LEO.

XYWznkN.png

The light variants of this line uses two LR-79s and GEM 40-ish procedural SRBs, while the heavy variant uses an LR-87 (Aerozine 50/NTO config) and GEM 46-ish boosters. 6 of the boosters are ground-lit and optimized for atmospheric flight, while the other 3 are air-lit and vacuum optimized.

ILYUF5w.png

The naming system for Icarus is pretty similar to that of Atlas V. The first number is always 5 (Icarus V), the second number is the number of strap-on boosters (0, 3, or 9), and the last number is the number of RL-10Bs on the High-Energy Upper Stage (HEUS). The H designates that it is the heavy variant.

Zoofpyn.png

I V 594H has a payload-to-orbit capability of about 16t. It was built with an older SRB and RL-10 tech level, so if it is upgraded it can lift just under 20t. The egg-shaped fairing makes it look a little dumb, so I think I'll replace that with a conic one in the future. 

064L5LD.png

All of the Icarus V launchers have a modification of the HEUS. They have between 2 and 4 RL-10s, with a burn time of around 6 minutes (stages with more engines will be extended to meet this 6 minute burn time). This is carrying a KIS lander for my moon base to Nautilus. The struts around the outside of the KIS module are part of the OMS pack that makes it easier to dock.

Edited by kimjongspoon

Saturn VB MLV - Saturn V on steroids: J2 engines replaced by J2s, slightly stretched S-IC stage with 5x F-1A - 20% more powerful than F-1 and finally 4x UA 1564 solid rocket motors  - each one as powerful as 5-segment solid rocket booster from SLS.

Gross mass: 6 400,000 kg, LEO payload: 260,000 kg, TMI payload: 84,000kg

RP-0 launch cost: 192 mln (USD, 1965)

TfoSZSr.png

oZIihzJ.png

4MV2tTN.png

8JZk5JI.png

7UHS569.png

uVW8ssn.png

NIOJxPn.png

more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/fwFcg

A rocket built today for a fly-by mission to Jupiter. It is mostly done with Procedural Parts and I used four RD-253 engines in the 1st stage + two RD-856 vernier engines for attitude adjustment, a viking 2 engine on the 2nd stage, a RL10 vacuum engine for the 3rd stage and an Astris engine for the kick stage.

IvJC6XJ.jpg 

4yzi5hY.jpg

P8FgO4P.png

EynXGys.png

Br9MqES.png

HdZC0ZL.png

iTHeN55.png

I launched my Delta II replica recently, I thought I'd post it.

Delta II 7320

This is my model of the Delta II 7320. This was one of the most popular launch vehicles in US history, seen here in the 7320 variant with 3 GEM-40 SRBs

g0uguJ2.png

The 7320 uses three SRBs that are ground-lit, with a long-burning first stage. The first stage does most of the legwork to get Delta to orbit, with the upper stage only burning about 3 km/s ∆v.

HBpA6QY.png

The only major difference between the real Delta II and mine is the upper stage. Delta II used an AJ10-118K, while I used a Russian Kerolox engine with twice the thrust (can't remember which one right now). It is seen here carrying a small payload to Nautilus

drEVgPW.png

Delta II was used to launch a lot of the GPS satellites for the US, and notable payloads include the rovers Spirit and Opportunity, the Spitzer space telescope, and the Dawn spacecraft which orbited Ceres and Vesta (they did all launch on the heavy variant, with 9 GEM-46 SRBs).

On 04/11/2016 at 2:12 PM, winged said:

Saturn VB MLV - Saturn V on steroids: J2 engines replaced by J2s, slightly stretched S-IC stage with 5x F-1A - 20% more powerful than F-1 and finally 4x UA 1564 solid rocket motors  - each one as powerful as 5-segment solid rocket booster from SLS.

Gross mass: 6 400,000 kg, LEO payload: 260,000 kg, TMI payload: 84,000kg

RP-0 launch cost: 192 mln (USD, 1965)

I think I saw this somewhere, was it the Von Braun Mars mission on youtube?

On 04/11/2016 at 6:12 PM, Epox75 said:

A rocket built today for a fly-by mission to Jupiter. It is mostly done with Procedural Parts and I used four RD-253 engines in the 1st stage + two RD-856 vernier engines for attitude adjustment, a viking 2 engine on the 2nd stage, a RL10 vacuum engine for the 3rd stage and an Astris engine for the kick stage.

For some reason this looks like the big bro of the Black Arrow.

On 4.11.2016 at 11:12 PM, Epox75 said:

4yzi5hY.jpg

Dude, the paintjob on this one is really nice. Also the size of your spacecraft is actually pretty small, considering its going to jupiter. This is my favorite rocket on this thread so far! Keep up your good work!

4 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

No, it's like the grandfather of the black arrow, how much larger is that thing?

No, it's like the great-grandfather of the black arrow!

Just now, Karol van Kermin said:

Dude, the paintjob on this one is really nice. Also the size of your spacecraft is actually pretty small, considering its going to jupiter. This is my favorite rocket on this thread so far! Keep up your good work!

No, it's like the great-grandfather of the black arrow!

No, it's an ancestral species!

But seriously, I agree. Good rocket.

4 hours ago, Karol van Kermin said:

Thank you, I'm glad you like my rocket! I also like this paint job a lot, one on my favorite for Procedural Parts. Is the Soyuz texture from Mainsailor.

4 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

No, it's an ancestral species!

But seriously, I agree. Good rocket.

Thanks!

I tried to put some decals on the rocket but unfortunately they have a weight and physics significance, so the rocket doesn't keep a steady rotation when I put them on... anyway I made a picture :) 

MX9mOdd.jpg

12 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

What? How...

Nebula Decals, an old mod but it still works on 1.1.3.  You can also made a custom decal using a transparent layer. 

Here's another rocket for a Venus Orbiter. I used an E-1 engine on the 1st stage a LR105 for the 2nd stage and a RL10 for the 3rd stage. The payload weights 1,145 tons. 

MvgHkbe.jpg

l4hjc5L.png

And here's a video of its launch to orbit. I put some also some music on it to make the watching more enjoyable :)

Edited by Epox75

14 minutes ago, Epox75 said:

Nebula Decals, an old mod but it still works on 1.1.3.  You can also made a custom decal using a transparent layer. 

Here's another rocket for a Venus Orbiter. I used an E-1 engine on the 1st stage a LR105 for the 2nd staged and a RL10 for the 3rd stage. The payload weights 1,145 tons. 

MvgHkbe.jpg

l4hjc5L.png

And here's a video of its launch to orbit. I put some also some music on it to make the watching more enjoyable :)

Wow, nice set of rockets you got there mate. I'll try that decall thing too :)  

Also, the rocket in the video, it looks like it gets a really big TWR at the end of the 1st stage, you could consider to set one or 2 engines (since you've 3 on that stage) to an action group and disable them after a while, to prevent the high twr and g-forces :) . IRL those high g-forces can result in unpredictable wobling and shaking and could result in damaging the payload or passing out the crew. 

This methode is also used by some saturn rockets I believe,  correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by DrLicor

26 minutes ago, DrLicor said:

Wow, nice set of rockets you got there mate. I'll try that decall thing to :)  

Also, the rocket in the video, it looks like it get's a really big TWR at the end of the 1st stage, you could consider to set one or 2 engines (since you've 3 on that stage) to an action group and disable them after a while to prevent the high twr and g-forces :) . IRL those high g-forces can result in unpredictable wobling and shaking and could damage the payload or passing out the crew. 

This methode is also used by some saturn rockets I believe,  correct me if I'm wrong. 

Thanks! 60 meters per second should correspond to around 6g which is high but bearable for a trained human and it's a very short time span so it shouldn't be a problem for a probe.  Also at 80km the atmospheric drag is minimal. I launched many rockets even replicas in Orbiter 2010 and I've seen greater accelerations when it comes about probes. Also the solid fuel kick-stages of spacecraft like Voyager, Pioneer, New Horizons were reaching insane acceleration at the end of the burn.  Anyway when it comes about humans I think yours is a great idea, I never thought of that :) As far as I remember the F-1 Engines on the Saturn-V reached a maximum acceleration of 4G. I'll keep that in mind for realism sake :)

Edited by Epox75

37 minutes ago, Karol van Kermin said:

@Epox75 I watched the whole video and I realized that your gravity turn is way to gentle at the beginning and then it gets very aggresive. Try turning your rocket earlier and for maximum efficiency try pointing prograde. Otherwise nice rockets!

Yeah i know that :P I was trying a different profile using the apoapsis height as reference (something like: when I start pitch down, i do it each time the apoapsis raises 3km then 2km then 1km).  It turned out to be very slow at the start and very fast in the end. Usually I pitch in a more "sane" way. But was a good stress test, when I watched the video again I was amazed how it didn't wobble or bend at all by pitching so fast :D

Edited by Epox75

13 minutes ago, Epox75 said:

Yeah i know that :P I was trying a different profile using the apoapsis height as reference (something like: when I start pitch down, i do it each time the apoapsis raises 3km then 2km then 1km).  It turned out to be very slow at the start and very fast in the end. Usually I pitch in a more "sane" way. But was a good stress test, when I watched the video again I was amazed how it didn't wobble or bend at all by pitching so fast :D

I actually have this system I use with the Smart ASS tool (I don't trust the autopilot). Post-launch, after my rocket accelerates past 70-80m/sec on vertical ascent, I start tipping sideways 1 degree every 500 meter change in apoapsis. To clarify, every time the apoapsis rises by 500 meters, I change my inclination by 1 degree.

Edited by Matuchkin

5 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

I actually have this system I use with the Smart ASS tool (I don't trust the autopilot). Post-launch, after my rocket accelerates past 70-80m/sec on vertical ascent, I start tipping sideways 1 degree every 500 meter change in apoapsis. To clarify, every time the apoapsis rises by 500 meters, I change my inclination by 1 degree.

I'll try that. I don't trust the autopilot either, I tried it once out of curiosity and it burned my hydro-lox stage because it was too low at a high speed. But is a very good tool to launch at target plane. 

19 hours ago, Epox75 said:

I'll try that. I don't trust the autopilot either, I tried it once out of curiosity and it burned my hydro-lox stage because it was too low at a high speed. But is a very good tool to launch at target plane. 

Well, I'm prolly the only friend of autopilot. For me it works fine (I shut down before upperstage ignition, also I disable autostaging)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.