The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

BUMPER WAC - WAC CORPORAL BOOSTED BY A4 (V2) LIFTER - PAYLOAD SOUNDING ROCKET CORE WITH THERMOMETER AND BAROMETER - SPIN STABILIZED

tVfdMFX.png

FINAL AP - 2,227 KM

z6lf1Hh.png

Note: A 3RD STAGE (2X AEROBEE STAGE BETWEEN A4/V2 STAGE AND THE 1X AEROBEE STAGE) CAN BE ADDED TO BREAK 3,500 KM AP

UP NEXT: MACH 1+ CAPABLE JET MADE WITH RP-0 STARTING NODE TECH  

Edited by Guest
ADDED NEXT PROJECT

Triton orbiter launched in 1969 by Saturn V Centaur - RP-0

lB4IqgP.png

btunyFK.png

y3i7Fd9.png

Centaur stage separation

lft1kyG.png

Transfer details

HSeX0kW.png

Neptun and Triton orbit insertion

YoYNrqx.png

Neptun arrival - 1979

afnWS1a.png

4R01mAF.png

9EdvmaZ.png

bPDGT4B.png

Atmosphere on Triton is 70000 times thinner than on Earth but it's enough thick to use aerocapture method instead of orbit insertion.

u36wylm.png

Identical probe was send to Uranus system but with nearly 1200 m/s more delta V to spare.

d6VklEV.png

Edited by winged

4 hours ago, winged said:

Triton orbiter launched in 1969 by Saturn V Centaur - RP-0

lB4IqgP.png

btunyFK.png

y3i7Fd9.png

Centaur stage separation

lft1kyG.png

Transfer details

HSeX0kW.png

Neptun and Triton orbit insertion

YoYNrqx.png

Neptun arrival - 1979

afnWS1a.png

4R01mAF.png

9EdvmaZ.png

bPDGT4B.png

Atmosphere on Triton is 70000 times thinner than on Earth but it's enough thick to use aerocapture method instead of orbit insertion.

u36wylm.png

Identical probe was send to Uranus system but with nearly 1200 m/s more delta V to spare.

d6VklEV.png

MIND=BLOWN  Collision Symbol on Apple iOS 10.0

Icarus VIII M+

fo0neuj.png

This is Icarus VIII M+ on the pad (it blew up on loading, oops). It's core engine is an RD-171 burning RP-1/LOX at 7,904 kN of thrust, and its boosters are UA 1207s, with 14,234 kN of thrust combined. The TWR is very high due to the massive output of the SRBs, so the RD-171 is throttled down after about 8 seconds to prevent high atmosphere losses.

p49HpN6.png

After separation of the boosters, the RD-171 is throttled back up to 100%. It is throttled throughout the flight to keep the acceleration at about 3.5g, stretching its burn time. Icarus VIII only differs from the M+ version in that it lacks SRBs.

a6nB7Gc.png

The second stage of Icarus VIII is a J-2 burning LH2/LOX. It burns for about 4 minutes, and puts the third stage just below orbit to prevent orbital debris

CRR5WCM.png

As you can see here, the second stage buns out at -600,000m periapsis, meaning that the third stage only needs to burn about 125m/s to achieve a circular parking orbit.

BTbuzfd.png

The upper stage of Icarus VIII is powered by an RL-60. It is carrying a generator module for EDLAB. I chose not take Nautilus back to LEO and then into LMO to put the lander down due to time, so I sent this one by itself. I use Icarus VIII and its variants to send probes to main belt asteroids and even small payloads to Jupiter. 

Edited by kimjongspoon

Currently I'm building a new rocket that's capable for bringing a crewed Service-Module into LEO for my RSS, RO, RP-0 career. I think I will use it as a lifter for small probes too later on.
As said, it's a work in progress. The crewed SM (3th stage) has a RD-0109 engine, but I need to change it, because somehow I forget it has only one ignition. 
The second stage has a NK-9V engine and the first stage has 3 RD-253 engines.  2 of them will ignite from the beginning, but they will shutdown after ~3 min. That's the point where the third engine will ignite and burn the remaining fuel. I know it's not the most efficient way, but yeah, early RP-0 career with a lack of research on that engine.  For now I have two boosters with RD-107 engines, stole them from a Russian Vostok rocket. But to fix the low TWR on liftof I think I will add 2 extra boosters. Maybe the same, maybe a smaller version.

Alsooo, I still need a name for the rocket, any ideas/suggestions? 

E2DEE1DDDED75EFA3707ACDFFA1A2D4106751845

E6D42BC46D3A9BEB7418F5AF35658AAFCE1EAFFF

Suggestion for the craft are always welcome ofcourse :) 

Edited by DrLicor

2 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Currently I'm building a new rocket that's capable for bringing a crewed Service-Module into LEO for my RSS, RO, RP-0 career. I think I will use it as a lifter for small probes too later on.
As said, it's a work in progress. The crewed SM (3th stage) has a RD-0109 engine, but I need to change it, because somehow I forget it has only one ignition. 
The second stage has a NK-9V engine and the first stage has 3 RD-253 engines.  2 of them will ignite from the beginning, but they will shutdown after ~3 min. That's the point where the third engine will ignite and burn the remaining fuel. I know it's not the most efficient way, but yeah, early RP-0 career with a lack of research on that engine.  For now I have two boosters with RD-107 engines, stole them from a Russian Vostok rocket. But to fix the low TWR on liftof I think I will add 2 extra boosters. Maybe the same, maybe a smaller version.

Alsooo, I still need a name for the rocket, any ideas/suggestions? 

E2DEE1DDDED75EFA3707ACDFFA1A2D4106751845

E6D42BC46D3A9BEB7418F5AF35658AAFCE1EAFFF

Suggestion for the craft are always welcome ofcourse :) 

Call it the Vuurtoren maybe? 

for my early manned missions i basicly ripped off the R7 series, using RD108 core and 4x RD107 boosters on 1st stage and a cluster of 1kn engines to finish insertion and then deorbit...its a solid design really and booster recovery helps cheapen it...still trying to design a variant with core RD108 stage recovery that isnt more trouble than its worth. The R7 family really is a beast , good for manned orbits, even unmanned lunar/mars/venus landers. Its really a space launch workhorse

Note: about the landers...using this type of rocket and a aj10 "mid" config second stage i have been able to soft land "early controllable probe cores" on the moon/mars/venus... moon under power and mars/venus via power assisted parachute. the real challenge becomes solar/comms thanks to the R7's beast powers

Edited by Guest
note about landers

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

Call it the Vuurtoren maybe? 

Haha nice one, it's a bit similar to a 'vuurtoren' indeed. :) 

2 hours ago, Aazard said:

for my early manned missions i basicly ripped off the R7 series, using RD108 core and 4x RD107 boosters on 1st stage and a cluster of 1kn engines to finish insertion and then deorbit...its a solid design really and booster recovery helps cheapen it...still trying to design a variant with core RD108 stage recovery that isnt more trouble than its worth. The R7 family really is a beast , good for manned orbits, even unmanned lunar/mars/venus landers. Its really a space launch workhorse

Note: about the landers...using this type of rocket and a aj10 "mid" config second stage i have been able to soft land "early controllable probe cores" on the moon/mars/venus... moon under power and mars/venus via power assisted parachute. the real challenge becomes solar/comms thanks to the R7's beast powers

Yep, that what I did too. Just because it's quite easy and efficient. But I wanted to build something I designed myself and make a new rocket family of it. The Russian engines are indeed very powerful, I mostly use them as boosters to let my first stage burn untill it's TWR is between 1.2 and 1.7.
About the 1kn engines, I mostly use them on my probes, but imo they lack in efficiently..    

about the 1kn engines... it was more about the restarts then isp...i wanted to ensure redundant engines that would bet me home that were low mass and at my tech level they were pretty much it.

Im going to work on an Eco-Friendly rocket soon, that uses non-air poluting fuels like Hydrogen. And the first stage is going to be dropped high up in the sky, so it can be destroyed during free fall, leaving almost no damage on the ground. Like the idea? Have any name suggestions?

14 hours ago, NSEP said:

Im going to work on an Eco-Friendly rocket soon, that uses non-air poluting fuels like Hydrogen. And the first stage is going to be dropped high up in the sky, so it can be destroyed during free fall, leaving almost no damage on the ground. Like the idea? Have any name suggestions?

If possible, you should try to recover the first stage. Part of the environmental impact of a product or service is its design and production, so if you can limit the amount of gas that has to be burned in shipping new materials to the factory, or in generating the electricity for its manufacture you can drastically reduce the carbon footprint of the product. Given this, recovering the first stage unharmed would reduce carbon emissions due to production, so smack some parachutes on the first stage if you can spare the mass. Hydrolox engines are a great choice for environmentally friendly engines, but you should also think about how hard it is to make the engines and what carbon footprint their production costs. Cheaper engines, like the RS-68 and the RL-10, are easier to make than the RS-25, RL-60 and J-2X, so less carbon is emitted during their construction process by its satellite services. As far as names go, Artemis was the greek god for for hunt, wild animals, and the moon and it sounds cool IMO. I think its a great idea, can't wait to see it!

My PoC (Proof of Concept) rocket is up! Its called EFOR1-2S or the Artimes PoC

It can carry up to 800g to LEO, not that much. But its a good start i think. Because of the light fuels, it is very weight sensitive (correct me if im wrong, but it is weight sensitive somehow)

It drops its first stage at 6km/per second, so it can be destroyed during re-entry quite a bit. If launched for Cape Caneveral, it will land in the Eastern section of the Atlantic ocean.

It uses a Mainsail engine in the first stage and a Terrier in the second. It is just a PoC, so no real engines (yet).

Here is a wishwashy bad image of the launcher in the VAB, i could not post a good image of it because my PC does not have any internet connection now.

4uOtDWJ.jpg

Another thing to note: It is not real RO, it is just a modpack i made simulair to it, so i can get a feeling on how it plays, and then im going to play real RO.

7 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Please get bored with stock. If you can do what I see you doing in stock, you can do a lot more in RO.

Well  ehm ... I would have to start calculating stuff. Something I never do in KSP   XD

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.