The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

Did some texture swaps on my SRBs for my Saturn-VB.  I like the roll stripes more than the straight-up white SRBs.  Also changed the rocket body textures to the USA ones.

Took me some research and trial-and-error to figure out how to make texture swaps happen, but I did it.

F7D6602CE3244A2D5903C739777A57C71B806181 (1280×720)

I lost more time than I thought writing an autopilot script for this rocket, but it was worth it I think gaining a lot of knowledge into orbital mechanics and programming.  Program's still buggy in a couple of spots, but it's ready enough that I'm ready to do the mission.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

Im returning to Realism Overhaul and my install is rather young. (Only 2 part mods and no RP-0 installed yet). So started testing my game and it is pretty stable.

Anyways, here is my rocket, it has the most original name ever Rocket - 2. Rocket 1 is bassicly the same thing, without the lower stage. Rocket 1 can carry 7 tons to LEO, and rocket 2 can stay in orbit 8,5KM/s of delta-V in orbit, so i got to calculate how much the Rocket 2 can carry

i2FZfbT.png

So two weeks ago, I posted my Orodruin FTF (First Try to Fly (I made that up)) and I failed a bit. But today, I'm going to call it a 75% success.

I tried a few more times in the last two weeks to get both spacecraft to their destination using FMRS, though unfortunately, using LH2 and LO2 in a vacuum slows my game down to the speed of a snail. So I was forced to switch to a Kerosene engine which wasn't as good DV wise as I was trying to keep my mass down so as not to lose too much DV in my 1st stage but had a good TWR and was much easier on my computer than LH2/LO2 was.

There were a few problems with this flight, the RCS didn't work and the 2nd stage was JUST not enough to carry the 2.800 kg communications satellite into LEO. BUT... Spoiler alert, this happened.

QFdPsfP.png

So first of all, I had 3 antennae on the satellite and the third one which was a medium sized antenna right on the top of the craft somehow manage to collide with the fairing. It blew up but luckily the fairing was ok and I still had the other two small radially mounted ones. So the second stage ended up cutting out at 7100 m/s which was 500 m/s from orbit velocity! The small .1 TWR satellite managed to reach orbit but the orbit was very ugly.

Anyway it took me three tries to land the first stage. The first I accidently stopped the engine close to the ground with one ignition left. Stock habits. The 2nd one, I miscalculated the suicide burn and I bounced off the surface and came crashing down horizontally. The third was perfectly timed and landed nice and wobbly. Not as good as Elon Musk's team but it was good, until this happened...

5bvGvc4.png

And we slide down an almost perfectly level piece of ground. What?! And it kept going! I went to get a snack and came back, and it was still going. So finally I jumped back to main mission and got a pretty ugly orbit, but what I am most happy about is this.

gPVhWdV.png

Keep in mind that I did this without RCS since that wasn't working. Get on my level ground, Elon musk!

But that's all for now.

Fire

Edited by Firemetal

• 3 weeks later...

I finished my Diana set now. This is the CSM "Erika", it has enough to capture an orbit around the Moon and get back with the LM "Flea". 

(Did not have time to make a screenshot and upload it)

Bwuh3s1.jpg

Maan 1 takes action!

My lunar impactor, orbiter, and it can maybe even be used as an interplanetary probe, i still have to try that out one day. Also, it is actually the first time i went to the Moon in RO, have done it in RSS many times, but with SMURFF and no Remotetech installed.

(The SXT sputnik kind of bugged out, thats why it looks weird)

z2luDqN.png

Here is it at launch, the first stage uses toxic fuels, i feel sad for the Floridians i flew over. I went for a polar orbit, i thought that was easier.

Xb4lwAa.png

Now here is my ICBM i made in Sandbox mode, it is called the Puma (cuz it looks stealthy), and it is suborbital, do not know about the range though.

gYV2MpM.png

Me: "Ey NASA, can I copy your homework?"
NASA: "Offcourse, just change it a bit so the teacher won't notice it."
Me: "Say no more." : 

Delta-4H_DSP-23_2.jpg2pxVYA0.png?1
Their Delta-IV heavy rocket.                                                                                                     My Hercules-II rocket.

The Hercules launch vehicle was orginally designed for a Lunar Lander, after some flights the engineers where able to get the maximum efficienty out of the rocket and optimized the staging, calling it the Hercules-II.
It's a early career launch vehicle that's able to put a good 10 tons into LEO in 8 minutes and 24 seconds.

lbezBif.png?1

Listens to the name..: Hercules-II launch vehicle.
Mass: 370.6 Ton.
Size:
          Height:   41.5 meters.
          Width:    10.3m (at the start)
Stages: 2.5.
Total amount of engines: 9

Booster Stage
eRV1x5Q.png?1

Engines (boosters only): 2x LR89-NA-7.1 per booster.
Fuel: Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen.
Burn time: 159.0 seconds.
Thrust sea lvl (boosters only): 1645.9 kN per booster
ISP sea lvl (boosters only): 258.0 seconds
Thrust vacuum (boosters only): 1862.4 kN per booster
ISP vacuum (boosters only)292.2 seconds
Starting TWR (combined with core): 1.38
Dimension (per booster): 
     Length:
27 meters
     Diameter: 2.6 meters

Core Stage
l8MbLNf.png?1
Engines: 2x H-1-SaturnIB configuration 
Fuel: Kerosene and Liquid Oxygen.
Burn time: 179.8 seconds. (20.8 seconds after separation boosters)
Thrust sea lvl: 1868.3 kN
ISP sea lvl: 255.0 seconds
Thrust vacuum: 2060.4 kN 
ISP vacuum296.0 seconds
TWR after separation boosters: 1.38
Dimension (incl interstage): 
     Length:
29 meters
     Diameter: 3.0 meters

Second Stage
6PF60yP.png

Engines: 3x RL10A-3-1
Fuel: Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen
Burn time: 318.6 seconds.
Thrust vacuum: 196.9 kN 
ISP vacuum444 seconds
TWR after separation core: 0.81
Dimension: 
     Length:
10 meters (without fairing)
     Diameter: 3.0 meters

Additional payload shown on the previous picture
vngAY4J.png?1

Transfer stage Block I:
     Engines: Astris I
     Fuel: NTO and Aerozine50
     Burn time: 711.0 seconds
     Thrust vacuum: 22.6 kN 
     ISP vacuum297.0 seconds
     TWR after separation second stage: 0.32

This stage is able to tranfer the lander and bring it into an orbit around the moon, it also start a bit of the deorbit sequence resulting into an impact on the moon to prevent debris orbiting the moon

mno81iS.png?1

Moon Lander (ML-03):
    Engines: RCS propulsion 

Fuel: NTO and MMH

Thrust vacuum: ~1.2 kN (?)
    ISP vacuum: ~220 seconds (?)

Able to touchdown softly from 100km lunar orbit, with spare fuel. So it can be used as a hopper. 
The first two failed, ML-01 overshoot the moon and is in a orbit around the sun now, contact lost. ML-03 exploded into the atmosphere during launch failure. 

Full resolution pics can be found here!
(hope you liked it :))

Edited by DrLicor

My IPBM (Interplanetary Ballistic Missle) I made it black because of space camouflage and it looks cool. Can send 520KG out of Earth's SOI (Thanks @ProtoJeb21 for the suggestion) I hope to make a much heavier version in the future, that can send larger payloads, maybe even small outposts to Mars.

9MJMYs7.png

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

I really dig this IPBM thing, but come on, space camo? That's actually funny.

I actually made it black so it does not reflect light as much. Dunno if it helps, but it looks sick and cool.

11 minutes ago, TheKorbinger said:

Where are you guys getting RSS/RO?

Is it for 1.3 or for <1.2.2?

For <1.2.2. The 1.1.3 version is more stable and has a CKAN release. 1.2.2 is from what i know still in development and has to be installed manually.

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

I actually made it black so it does not reflect light as much. Dunno if it helps, but it looks sick and cool.

It looks cool, but:

a) That won't matter to radar and other such countermeasures.

b) In real life, you'd paint it a colour that reflects light and heat, such as white.

7 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

It looks cool, but:

a) That won't matter to radar and other such countermeasures.

b) In real life, you'd paint it a colour that reflects light and heat, such as white.

Yeh. But look cool. Thats the point. Scare alien with cool rocket

Its only for show, yeah.

Edited by NSEP

So, im working on a Saturn 5 with a modern twist to inspire the youth for space travel. Yep, i made a Saturn 5, thought it was too bland for this forum.

10 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

heh

My next IPBM will scare the Aliens with Emojis.

Jk lol. Maybe deflecting radio signals kind of helps? My next IPBM will be more cone shaped, dunno if it helps but it will still look cool.

So I did a new thing I actually never did in my RO installs. Build a working plane. 
Most of the time I switched back to the rockets because I could only crash. But finally I'm learning/mastering the skills of plane building in RSS/RO/FAR etc. too. 
With the help of atmospheric autopilot I fly the planes, since the stock SAS is just as crap as my flying skills. I did some research in the flaps etc. to build my wings. Also I kept going back to the design table until al the stats in the FAR menu in the SPH were green. :) 
It has no name yet. It has still some fat wings so I'm going to put it on a diet so they get a bit smaller, not shorter. Also I'm going to make the wheels a bit shorter. (thank god we can use Adjustable Landing Gear again in 1.2.2)
xDDDDdD.png
Smooth Cruising at 500 Knots at a high of 10km
BceHEof.png

YH3D4Be.png
TIw2vQO.png
And a succesfull landing, Here you can see why I want to shorten the landing gear. 
RsvgsDr.png

yKmiRhD.png
And just a picture to show things work. 
On the wing to 2 are spoilers and under the spoilers are flaps, which are action grouped on cruise, init. climp, take-off and landing.
Further on the wings are 2 ailerons for roll and stabilizing. Pitch control is all coming from the back elevations. Basicly my wings are the same as:
604e00d1.png

I have to say, I is real funn to play KSP with changing the flaps etc. It makes flying so much more easier and nicer. 

Edited by DrLicor

I made a Mars transfer vehicle, everything was fun and games untill i had to make the rocket. I tried clustering SSTU parts, in the VAB the TWR ratio looked good, but when i put it on the launch pad, the engine cluster acted like it was just 1 engine, dropping the TWR down by alot. I did not know what the problem was, and after building 5 different launch vehicles, i finally realized the problem.

Anyways, back to the launch vehicle. Yeah, i know the rocket looks kind of ugly, but i had to replace the SSTU interstages with Procedual fairings somehow. The Mars vehicle can carry about 90 tons to Mars with orbital insertion by the way. More than enough.

EM5ViIP.png

b7SL1oa.png

Edited by NSEP

@NSEP, it's just the stock runway of 1.2.2. Sometimes it's flat, sometimes it gives me those weird bugs with suddenly a green bumps in it. Mostly those are at the beginning of the runway. And when I fly an aircraft, trying to take of with those bugs, I mostly crash. It's just a way of reverting the launch that long untill you get lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, NSEP said:

2400 Tons to LEO and 1.2 Giganewtons of thrust.

Sweet mother of Jesus.... That is.... Something else :)

Just curious - how many, and which types of engines does this monstrosity use? And how many parts does it have? My heaviest launch vehicle (cca 240t to LEO) is a proper lagfest, so I can't imagine the torture that launching this must be...

Michal.don

7 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Sweet mother of Jesus.... That is.... Something else :)

Just curious - how many, and which types of engines does this monstrosity use? And how many parts does it have? My heaviest launch vehicle (cca 240t to LEO) is a proper lagfest, so I can't imagine the torture that launching this must be...

Michal.don

It uses the M-1 rocket engine, and i think (cant remember exactly) 24 of them on the first stage. I used Hydrolox because Kerolox was a bit too heavy for me. I flew this thing at about 10-15 fps, and at 3x time warp, i could fly it like any other rocket, just a slideshow but no big frustration or lagfiesta.

Edited by NSEP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.