The Official Realism Overhaul Craft Repository.

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

It uses the M-1 rocket engine, and i think (cant remember exactly) 24 of them on the first stage.

And do you possibly remember which mod provides this engine to the RO game? It seems like something I could really use, F1 is the largest engine I have and it is, sometimes, insufficient. Nevertheless, you do have a properly mighty LV :wink:

Michal.don

8 minutes ago, michal.don said:

And do you possibly remember which mod provides this engine to the RO game? It seems like something I could really use, F1 is the largest engine I have and it is, sometimes, insufficient. Nevertheless, you do have a properly mighty LV :wink:

Michal.don

The engine is from the SSTU mod. The M-1 is the most powerful Hydrolox engine ever tested, so check it out, truely awesome engine.

15 hours ago, NSEP said:

2400 Tons to LEO and 1.2 Giganewtons of thrust. i present to you, the accurately named (totally not copied from SpaceX) Big Freaking Rocket.

AQ4mG8r.png

:o  But for what did you need it?

5 minutes ago, LeuZ said:

:o  But for what did you need it?

To show the world that im the swaggiest kiddo on the planet and NASA needs to hire me.

Seriously though, i could make a heavier one and send a Saturn 5 to orbit for funzees.

• 1 month later...
On 11. 7. 2017 at 4:09 AM, winged said:

Shouldn't my Saturn go on a diet??

Indeed, it's a bit pudgy. Maybe you could withhold the kielbasa for a while :P Did the lander go to Titan or Saturn itself?

Edited by Ravenchant

So here are my RP-0 launch vehicles:

---> "AT" Series:

Rw2iVnP.jpg

(An AT-5 on the pad)

AT5:

Spoiler

JwkEIEX.jpg

Boosters: 4 x LR-79

Core Stage: RD-108

Upper Stage: LR-91-3

The AT-5 launched all early moon flyby missions. It carried 5 tons to LEO

AT-6

Spoiler

I dont have a picture, but it used H-1 engines on the boosters instead of the LR-79s and a centaur upper stage with two RL-10 engines.

The performance was disappointing, so I launched it only twice.

AT-7a

Spoiler

Also no picture, but it used E-1 engines on extended boosters.

AT-7b

Spoiler

q69Jb52.jpg

Boosters: 4 x E-1

Core stage: LR-87 from NASAs Titan rockets

Upper stage: Centaur with 2 x RL-10

AT-7c

Spoiler

IkoQYHu.jpg

Similar to the AT-7b, but it used a HydroLox core instead of the LR-87

This rocket launched the first Probe to Jupiter

--->  "EQ" Series:

UFH8EaX.jpg

(An EQ-1b launches Val to the Moon)

EQ-1a

Spoiler

b1bKCaB.jpg

Boosers: 2 x E-1 each

Core stage: 7 x LR-87-LH2

Upper stage: 4 x RL-10

The Payload capacity is probably comparable to a Saturn- IB or even better.

EQ-1b

Spoiler

F3h3apq.jpg

I switched to 2 x UA-1205 boosters because they provide better thrust. This rocket launched lots of Crewed moon orbit missions.

EQ-1c

Spoiler

fypbhlg.jpg

Basically an EQ-1b with longer upper stage, more RL-10 engines and balloon tanks.

EQ-1d

Spoiler

mU9dmqN.jpg

I switched from the LR-87-LH-2s to J-2 engines.

This was the workhorse in my space program and was launched over 30 times. The payload capacity beats the Delta 4 Heavy.

EQ-1e

Spoiler

lhHhk3A.jpg

I switched the engines again, this time to the HG-3 engines. Due to the sea level ISP I get 1000 m/s deltav more. This rocket can launch over 60 tons to LEO so its better than the Falcon Heavy. 

I am still using it.

EQ-1f

Spoiler

L6i0RFM.jpg

Boosters: still 2 x UA-1205

Core Stage: 2 x RS-25a SSME

Upper stage : 7 x RL-10

So this is the most advanced launch vehicle at the moment. The core stage is 10 meters longer and the redesigned upper stage has a bigger diameter for larger payloads. 

80 tons to LEO should not be a problem.

Edited by Julien Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

So....can we post failures? Ive been working on a line of Soyuez type rockets called the Sokol series.  They differ in the sense that they use F1-B rockets as their main engine. 

Only the Sokol 1 has been a success. It has a single F1-B rocket and drops a good chunk of its fuel load quite a ways up. I'm wondering if there is a way to do stuff with fuel mixtures to make the other ones get the Delta V they need to make it to orbit. 

Anyway, picture time:

Sokol 1

Spoiler

ZDvEJJJ.png

Sokol 5

Spoiler

CXhhand.png

Sokol 25

Spoiler

P0DTJOB.png

Sokol 90

Spoiler

yrgdPdN.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Krases does...does the last one have 90 F1s in the first stage? Talk about a falcon heavy :0.0:

In unrelated news, I've started playing again after a 4 month pause so new stuff is coming soonTM. A bit of hardware for crewed Moon landings is designed, right now it looks like a multiple-launch lunar orbit rendezvous architecture.

Made myself a little space shuttle past 2 days.
It can carry up to 14 metric tons to LEO. The shuttle itself has 2 NK-15 engines and each booster on the side has 4. The big pro of these engines is that the can throttle down to 50%. The crew doesn't experience more than 3.5G on ascent. 
To finish the orbit, it has 2 AJ-10 engines. 
The design seems also very stable during reentry. Every single part survived. :) 
Next on the list is to make a robotic arm in the bay for space station building. 

5Syrk2A.png?1
U8XeBos.png
Pb3tLYP.png
ECsqbvN.png
2yEyhoR.png
gv2vbPd.png
cBkn2fh.png
EovXfpH.png
9bdtQfN.png
4UKjBju.png

Here's Hawk, a medium lift LV I've been working on for my current RP-0 save. Think of it as Soyuz, built using American engines and a Centaur-ish hydrolox upper stage. Payload capacity ~12.5t to LEO, cost 15,324 funds. The boosters use H1-Saturn1 engines, since I haven't gotten the 1B variant yet, and the sustainer is an LR-79-NA-13 due to TestFlight's limits on burn times. Upper stage uses 3 RL-10-A-3-3 engines.

Pretty pictures & info:

Spoiler

Sitting on the launchpad, the booster masses in at 282.455t, not counting the payload, which in this case is a Gemini capsule and lunar-rated SM for my manned lunar program.

2mGsVN7.png

Liftoff! The autopilot I'm using is PEGAS, because it A: is very robust, and  B: runs in kOS.

i0Wblhm.png

This thing has a TWR of 1.4 on the pad, so the ascent is rather shallow to compensate. Hence the aerodynamic effects.

The necessity of using the Saturn 1 variant of the H1 is unfortunate, since its reliability isn't particularly good. Hopefully this won't be as much of a problem once I get the 1B variant.

HhVlCMD.png

Booster separation. The boosters' burn time of 128.5s  carries them well above the thicker parts of the atmosphere, which means no separation engines are required.

PzQZnUg.png

After the boosters burn out, the sustainer goes on to burn for another 107.9s, carrying the upper stage to around 4.5 km/s and 160 km.

OlwqGsw.png

Here, sustainer separation, interstage fairing jettison, and LES jettison happen as part of the same staging event, to give the autopilot an easier time.

h1aXczf.png

As befits an American-style upper stage, this Centaur-esque stage has a whopping 434s of burn time, with a starting TWR of only 0.5. This payload is slightly above the capacity of this LV, which means it needs to do a slight burn of its own to complete insertion. Fortunately, the XLR-81-BA-13 engines it uses have 15 ignitions, so this isn't a problem.

6tZkX3e.png

And, for anyone who cares about the payload, here's a screenshot of it in orbit with some numbers:

mFeEwDz.png

So far, I'm only using this for manned launches, but I plan to use it in a similar capacity to Titan III-E later. Hopefully. Sometimes I worry I've gone and built an LV without a payload.

Oh, and the name? I've been naming my boosters after birds of prey in this save.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 7:02 AM, Ravenchant said:

@Krases does...does the last one have 90 F1s in the first stage? Talk about a falcon heavy :0.0:

In unrelated news, I've started playing again after a 4 month pause so new stuff is coming soonTM. A bit of hardware for crewed Moon landings is designed, right now it looks like a multiple-launch lunar orbit rendezvous architecture.

@Ravenchant Yep! You got it. ....my largest rocket is kinda obscene. I got Sokol 90 working in the end. 1400 tons to LEO.

Spoiler

BwRrewB.png

And then there is this monster. About 4800 tons to LEO. Still hammering out the PEG ascent guidance but it has the delta V for it. 

144 F-1B engines first stage along with 32 STS boosters. The F-1B's exhaust the fuel tank that is wrapped in boosters, then convert to their own fuel tanks. Those thin lines you see hanging down are fuel lines pushing fuel up into the main stage.  

As the boosters and fuel tank fall away, 18 M1 engines come online to help take it to orbit. After that, 9 J1-X engines for the final phase.

Spoiler

BGiSNV1.png

Spoiler

duuXFan.jpg

Edited by Krases

On 20/09/2017 at 7:47 PM, DrLicor said:

Made myself a little space shuttle past 2 days.
It can carry up to 14 metric tons to LEO. The shuttle itself has 2 NK-15 engines and each booster on the side has 4. The big pro of these engines is that the can throttle down to 50%. The crew doesn't experience more than 3.5G on ascent. 
To finish the orbit, it has 2 AJ-10 engines. 
The design seems also very stable during reentry. Every single part survived. :) 
Next on the list is to make a robotic arm in the bay for space station building. 

5Syrk2A.png?1
U8XeBos.png
Pb3tLYP.png
ECsqbvN.png
2yEyhoR.png
gv2vbPd.png
cBkn2fh.png
EovXfpH.png
9bdtQfN.png
4UKjBju.png

Absolutely gorgeous. And the camerawork is great.

@DrLicor, I have two questions:

1. how was the reentry performed in that position? How didn't your shuttle get flung out of the atmosphere if it was in a position at which excessive amounts of lift will be present? When it hit the upper stratosphere, it should have got flung above it instantly.

2. Can you keep developing this model, please? Like, do what Rune did with his creations: extra modules, etc. I really like your build.

@Matuchkin, thanks a lot, really appreciate it. :) 

To answer the first question, When I plot my reentry burn from 400km circulair orbit, I set the Pe to 35km above the ground. And Athmosphericc Prediction ~1500km short of the runway. When I hit the 140km line, I set my mechjeb SMART A.S.S. to on SURF-mode and Svel+: roll = 0, pitch = 50, yaw = 0. 

I have to do some balancing in the shuttles yaw, when I yaw to hard, I will get in an uncontrolled spin, wher it's really hard to recover from... So banking has to be done very carefully. The AoA stays at 50 degree untill it hits the thicker parts of the atmosphere, I just let the  pitch = 50 stay there, even the shuttle isn't able to reach the 50 AoA. The shuttle's vertical velocity will raise above 0 often, the shuttle can bleed of a lot of speed in the upper atmosphere, due it's relative big wings. 
Untill Mach 10-12 I don't touch the pitch button (even though the shuttle's AoA isn't 50 degree anymore), from there on I slowly lower the AoA. When the AoA comes to a reasonable number, like 10-15 degree. I switch over to Atmospheric Autopilot, from there on I glide to the runway. 

I've done one real mission with the shuttle now, I was a small payload to a new space station, I will post the mission report later this afternoon when I come home. This shuttle also had a full functioning robotic arm, for construction purposes. 

Here's the promised report. STS-5 was the first manned real mission, not a test. It's mission was to bring and construct PMA (pressurized Mating Adapter) to SSA (Space Station Alpha).
It's the third module of the station, which enabled the docking of a new crewed pod (2 crew). This however, was the first flight in the STS series.

Launch at sunrise gives you the most beautiful screenshots:
CyNLfRB.png

STS-5 with it's payload shortly after circularize of the orbit at a height of 250km, this will be their parking orbit untill the shuttles catches up with the station and rendavouz.
5O9e49E.png

Docking procedure begins at another sunrise:
WdnHogC.png

First time I did this kind of docking in RSS/RO, requires quitte decent RCS setup to complete:
0zLVNQy.png6FH7Wng.png

And we having a hard dock the crew will get settled in the station and perform the construction after the next sunrise:
VaId1ZN.png

Start of the construction, PMA-1 is grabbed and moved to the station by the RA:
ZcqVWnt.png

ZcqVWnt.pngcmURHLs.png

Mission complete; back to Earth:
gpdW3WU.png

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

There is something with Realism Overhaul players and R-7 shaped rockets.

I need to fire up Realism overhaul again.

Yeah, players like to use that preset. However, I'm much more a fan of the titan and delta shape of rockets. Also, the fuel of the early russians is toxic and not that efficient. Later on, the russians mastered the ISP efficienty 

Edited by DrLicor

10 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Yeah, players like to use that preset. However, I'm much more a fan of the titan and delta shape of rockets. Also, the fuel of the early russians is toxic and not that efficient. Later on, the russians mastered the ISP efficienty 

I still can't get over your shuttle, what with you posting that amazing docking scene. Do you have DL links?

Also, how good should my laptop be if I want to run RVE at your framerate?

Edited by Matuchkin

8 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I still can't get over your shuttle, what with you posting that amazing docking scene. Do you have DL links?

Not yet, I'M still balancing some things as landing gear etc., after that, I can put some link online. :)

Edited by DrLicor

8 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Didn't notice this bit; my install runs not that fast, not because of RVE, just the high part count. RVE can be run with a simple graphic card, GTX 860 will do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.